Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ad blockers
Ad blockers
2016-06-13, 1:46 PM #1
Man I use to love adblockers. Now so many sites do this:

And it's super annoying because once I disable my adblocker, anytime a click anywhere on the page it opens a new browser window telling me how to get sexy singles or telling me that my computer is infected. And I honestly don't need any more sexy singles than I already have, and I know for a fact that my computer is not that infected. I don't mind ads like these:

But Jesus H, stop telling me "Click to download file!" and then when I click it, open a new window telling me my system is f***ed or I've won a new computer or that the prince of Nigeria is selling me penis enlargement pills.

Like I said, I'm fine with plain .jpg or .gif ads. It's just all the pop-ups and flash ads that slow even my moderately powerful computer down. Those ads COST me money by making me use more power!

Ugh, post your ad/adblock rants.
2016-06-13, 2:14 PM #2
I don't even know where to start.

Forbes locking out Adblock users until they disable it, then serving malware ads. That pretty much summarizes what I think of advertising as an industry and the sites that it supports.
2016-06-13, 2:28 PM #3
Yup, only visit sites without significant advertising. I stopped visiting "news websites" altogether once they started splitting up articles into more pages.
2016-06-13, 2:44 PM #4
I like uBlock Origin on firefox because while some sites actually lock you out if you have an ad blocker installed, some sites just put the anti-adblock crap in big overlays over the actual content and said overlays can be removed by using the eye-dropper tool.
2016-06-13, 4:05 PM #5
I noticed a new kind of pop-under last night. It opens a new window, sets the new window's location to your current page, sets focus to the new window, and then navigates the old window to a full-page ad. And this was with an ad-blocker in place.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-06-13, 5:22 PM #6
Originally posted by gbk:
I noticed a new kind of pop-under last night. It opens a new window, sets the new window's location to your current page, sets focus to the new window, and then navigates the old window to a full-page ad. And this was with an ad-blocker in place.

I've seen that before on various adult video sites, and it's annoying as hell. I'll be looking at pron on my phone, go to clean out my tabs, and see that I've got 6 new tabs open to full page ads.
2016-06-13, 5:23 PM #7
Originally posted by Brian:
I like uBlock Origin on firefox because while some sites actually lock you out if you have an ad blocker installed, some sites just put the anti-adblock crap in big overlays over the actual content and said overlays can be removed by using the eye-dropper tool.

I've had to use Chrome's (or Internet Explorer's) F12 developer tools on multiple occasions to make seemingly simple webpages actually functional because of horribly obtrusive ads.
2016-06-13, 6:29 PM #8
there is an anti adblock blocker thing out there... it works for some of those sites
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2016-06-13, 7:18 PM #9
I have Netflix to watch content without ads. I'm essentially paying to avoid Ad Hell.

Its 2016, are internet ads even as effective as maybe years before? I guess they are 'effective' as long as companies pay under the guise of The Solution; seems like mountains of money to pay for hole-digging-then-hole-filling type of industry work.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-06-13, 8:20 PM #10
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Its 2016, are internet ads even as effective as maybe years before?

No.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-06-13, 10:23 PM #11
Sites using adblock-blockers have no use to me, I'll find the info from somewhere else. And since these sites are mostly commercial corporate ones anyway, it's not a big loss to me.

(So if you want a surefire way to keep me out of this site, Brian, you know what to do. Boh!)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-06-14, 1:30 AM #12
I've grown accustom to sticking to a small & carefully curated list of websites, which used to include Wired, until the day I received a similar message upon visiting their website. Personally, their inability to function in a less annoying manner is advantageous to me, because that's one less distraction in a world wide web of them.
? :)
2016-06-14, 1:45 AM #13
It would be so simple for companies to get around adblockers. They would just have to host the ads off their own servers. But I guess they DON'T WANT FOREIGN CODE TO RUN ON THEIR MACHINES.

I don't mind ads. I don't even mind a **** ton of flashing ads. But I absolutely hate anything that keeps me from reading what I'm trying to read or, even worse, hijacks my browser and redirects me away. Since I've been increasingly experiencing the later even on sites I presumed to be save (even with people running them appologising time after time when they notice their ad provider ****ed up) I started using more adblockers again. And no, I will not whitelist anyone. They've had their chance.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-06-14, 10:30 AM #14
Hmm, now even DeviantArt is posting intrusive "Hey plz no adblock lol" notices. Can't say I like this trend. But maybe it will lead into a situation that's gonna make me spend less time on the Internet and more time lying on the floor doing nothing, which might be just as productive.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-06-14, 12:40 PM #15
I like how websites try to guilt me for using Adblock. The last time I disabled it I realized how horrible the internet has become for its abundant ads cluttering everything.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-06-14, 2:14 PM #16
Do you want to hear about great offers from this internet retailer?

YES PLEASE!!!

[sub]No, I am human garbage who should be culled[/sub]
2016-06-14, 3:00 PM #17
TBH though I could go for some IRL adblock as well, God bless cities with anti-billboard ordinances.
2016-06-14, 5:17 PM #18
Originally posted by Reid:
TBH though I could go for some IRL adblock as well, God bless cities with anti-billboard ordinances.

True. I live in an unincorporated area that previously had restrictions on animated signs. They recently removed the restrictions so we are getting signs popping up all over that are lighted and animated. Really, nobody can drive or pay attention to the road anyway and you want to add even more distractions? People are morons.
2016-06-14, 10:36 PM #19
I have never bought a single thing from an internet ad in my ~19 years of browsing the web. What these dummies don't seem to understand is that the same people who use ad blockers are the same people who won't buy their crap.

Even if you want to help with server upkeep, you should install adblock anyway because ads are a malware vector.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2016-06-15, 5:07 AM #20
Almost as annoying as ads are page blocking "Signup for our newsletter" boxes or "Login with facebook so we can steal your personal information before you read our poorly worded article". Luckily adblock can block these too but it's a pain in the ass. When will websites learn that this crap actually annoys people to the point they leave the iste instead of keeping them on the site?
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2016-06-17, 11:53 AM #21
This isn't that bad though. I might consider actually paying sometime:

2016-06-17, 2:28 PM #22
That comes off as rather sympathetic!
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

↑ Up to the top!