Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → pokeymon
pokeymon
2016-07-13, 3:04 PM #1
Hey this Pokémon GO thing has really blown up.

What do you think about that?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-07-13, 4:04 PM #2
Originally posted by Krokodile:
What do you think about that?

How many casualties?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-07-13, 4:24 PM #3
I think it's no different from the Tamogachi/DigiPet craze from the 90's. The only differences are instead of one pet on your key chain, you have hundreds on your phone. And adults have no shame in playing it. Which is sad.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2016-07-13, 7:50 PM #4
It's not really my thing, but it seems harmless.

If it's your thing: Enjoy.

That's all.
>>untie shoes
2016-07-13, 7:53 PM #5
It's fun on campus, I've gotten to meet a bunch of people and it's interesting staying up until 1am with literally a hundred other people, eighty of which are Asian. And then take gyms with them.
2016-07-13, 8:06 PM #6
i have yet to take it to the full extent of exploring areas with friends and strangers... but i enjoy it
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2016-07-13, 8:06 PM #7
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
And adults have no shame in playing it. Which is sad.

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGAVwQAmAHs
2016-07-14, 12:35 AM #8
Originally posted by Antony:
It's not really my thing, but it seems harmless.

If it's your thing: Enjoy.

That's all.

Exactly. This should be plastered everywhere on the planet.

But anyway, true story, I was sort of interested in this game until... it got popular. Boh!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-07-14, 6:17 AM #9
...adults have no shame in playing it. Which is sad.

Dunno Roger, you seem a little sad. :-/
2016-07-14, 6:18 AM #10
I'm not playing it, but I'm very much enjoying all the people who are. Enthusiasm is infectious.
2016-07-14, 6:20 AM #11
In Phoenix we have these giant digital signs every few miles along our freeways that warn you of road hazards and remind you not to drive drunk. Lately they've been saying "Pokemon Go is a no-go while driving."
2016-07-14, 6:32 AM #12
Playing while driving is really stupid. You don't actually add any distance because it calculates your speed and if you're travelling >15km/h it doesn't add anything. The best you can do is tap on pokemon and pokestops and try to get them before you go too far, but that's really hard to do. It's like texting and driving but worse.
2016-07-14, 7:30 AM #13
Originally posted by saberopus:
Dunno Roger, you seem a little sad. :-/

I should clarify. Nothing wrong with them playing the game, but the constant chatter I have to listen to at work, "OMG guys I found a squirtle in the bushes right outside!" is pretty sad.

"Oh my god you guys, you'll never guess what I found in my driveway when I got home! IT WAS A PIKACHU SQUEEEEEE"
2016-07-14, 7:52 AM #14
Originally posted by Reid:
Playing while driving is really stupid. You don't actually add any distance because it calculates your speed and if you're travelling >15km/h it doesn't add anything. The best you can do is tap on pokemon and pokestops and try to get them before you go too far, but that's really hard to do. It's like texting and driving but worse.

it's easier as a passenger... except with stops... unless you're at a stop light right next to one you'll be too far away to spin it... pokemon as long as you tap on them before going too far you can catch them

but yeah hatching eggs won't work in a car... i've heard some silly ways to try to cheat it... put it on a fan (i've heard confirmation this one doesn't work), put it on a record player (i imagine same results as record player), put phone on a roomba (ok maybe), put phone on dog and let dog run around house/yard (i can see this working)
2016-07-14, 8:59 AM #15
I don't really see anything wrong with grown adults being excited about it. What the hell's the difference between being pumped that you found a Pokemon and getting excited about a football game or a new movie? No, it doesn't "matter," but does it really have to?

People are having fun together. What a nightmare.
>>untie shoes
2016-07-14, 9:01 AM #16
Honestly, I think it's kinda awesome that so many people are into it. I mean, it's kinda bringing people together, and no matter how fleeting that is, it's better than having another reason to dislike each other.
>>untie shoes
2016-07-14, 9:03 AM #17
I don't really see anything wrong with grown adults being excited about it. What the hell's the difference between being pumped that you found a Pokemon and getting excited about a football game or a new movie? No, it doesn't "matter," but does it really have to?

People are having fun together. What a nightmare.

It just strikes me as being the equivalent of getting excited because you found the word "the" used in a book. Of course you did. That's how it was written.
2016-07-14, 9:30 AM #18
Brace yourselves, the also-rans are coming.
2016-07-14, 9:32 AM #19
Invizimals?
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-07-14, 9:36 AM #20
It just strikes me as being the equivalent of getting excited because you found the word "the" used in a book. Of course you did. That's how it was written.

Of course it's a Skinner box. The gameplay is very obvious and basic. What makes it fun is playing with other people and getting excited about it.
2016-07-14, 10:42 AM #21
If someone, maybe even a dumb kid, gets literally smashed trying to capture a Super-Rare-Pokemon-with-Limited-Capture-Range that was unintentionally placed on the median of the New Jersey Turnpike, could the company behind this game be considered negligent of the safety (?) of this person since he was hit while operating this company's product?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-07-14, 11:37 AM #22
No.
2016-07-14, 11:49 AM #23
That'd be like blaming Anheuser-Busch for someone driving drunk into a tree.
2016-07-14, 12:15 PM #24
A colleague marveled at the 12 km his son was traveling the other day to catch Pokemon. And at the moment it looks like that will continue. So it makes the kids go outside again, which is good.

But then again their every step is being tracked and added to a massive database, which doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-07-14, 12:37 PM #25
Yeah don't play Pokemon if you have revolutionary ambitions.
2016-07-14, 1:05 PM #26
Let your cat play Pokemon if you need an alibi.
2016-07-14, 1:32 PM #27
I'm probably taking my pokeballs out for a walk tomorrow. See what I'll catch.
2016-07-17, 11:10 AM #28
I just wish this game weren't so one-dimensional. The concept has great potential, by which I mean the game would be far more enjoyable to me if it combined more of the classic Pokémon mechanisms with what we have now. As of now it's a pretty decent diversion on my phone, and it has this emergent fun factor from all the social interaction that comes with playing it, but it could be so much greater.
2016-07-17, 8:53 PM #29
it's better than having another reason to dislike each other.

but then they have teams... pokemon go, bringing us together just to tear up apart with red vs blue vs yellow

Originally posted by Krokodile:
I just wish this game weren't so one-dimensional. The concept has great potential, by which I mean the game would be far more enjoyable to me if it combined more of the classic Pokémon mechanisms with what we have now. As of now it's a pretty decent diversion on my phone, and it has this emergent fun factor from all the social interaction that comes with playing it, but it could be so much greater.

yeah i would much rather level my pokemon cp ratings through battling than spending stardust and candy... then again i am team valor... and we (would love to if the game would let us) pay the iron price... what is red may never die
2016-07-26, 1:16 AM #30
I bit the Pokéball and downloaded the game to play with the kid. He loves it. It's always a good excuse to get him outside. And rather than staring at the screen he spends most of the time pretending to be a Pokémon or pretending to catch Pokémon with his telephone (might be a stick or a toy he brought with him).
2016-07-26, 1:34 PM #31
What I enjoy most is watching Nintendo's stock skyrocket and plummet as investors **** up, and then realize they ****ed up. Nintendo doesn't make Pokemon, and they only own ~30% in the company that does.
2016-07-26, 2:10 PM #32
The only thing good about it so far is that actual Pokemon card values have gone up, especially with holo Charizards from the 90s. Having a few professionally graded ones, it's a good time to sell.
2016-07-27, 4:43 AM #33
What team do I choose? There is exactly one Arena in my town that seems to belong to Team Instinct. Is it better to join an opposing team to get some competition started or is it better to belong to the "winning" team?
2016-07-27, 9:04 AM #34
you get more experience battling at rival gyms

in my town it's heavily red vs blue... it's enough that there are jokes about a "glitch where sometimes a gym turns yellow"
2016-07-27, 9:21 AM #35
Most people pick their favorite colors. That means blue is most popular, followed by red. Other than that, the teams have no significance.

I chose yellow because it is the least popular and I do not care about gyms.
2016-07-28, 5:48 AM #36
It doesn't appeal to me, probably because I don't know anything about Pokemon, nor do I play mobile games, but it seems relatively harmless from what I've heard. It can't be any worse than the massive amount of hours that people are wasting on Facebook or mindless games. At least with this people appear to be encouraged to interact with other humans face-to-face & I think that's probably a good thing.
? :)
2016-07-29, 7:10 AM #37
I started playing it. I've got a handful of bad ass Growlithes. If it wasn't always 110° out, I would play more.
2016-08-23, 6:35 AM #38
Well, looks like this died down fast. I don't see Pokemon bar-hopping in NYC anymore these days.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-08-23, 8:31 AM #39
You're right. The friends I had who played it, including the die hard one who was really into it, have all quit.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-08-23, 8:38 AM #40
It's barely a game. It's glitchy and frustrating. Gameplay outcomes are inexplicable.

Of course people have stopped playing it.

↑ Up to the top!