Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Rogue One Trailer is here
New Rogue One Trailer is here
2016-08-12, 1:48 AM #1
[https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpoFax_UMAE_t0M.jpg]

I actually think that Felicity Jones looks too clean in this movie. She looks like an actress to me and not like a soldier.

Ah, well, perhaps it won't suck.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-08-12, 6:32 AM #2
Yah it looks a lot better than the first trailer, but I seriously would have preferred Tatiana Maslany to Felicity Jones. Ah, well.
2016-08-12, 9:14 AM #3
There was so much going on for a ~2h movie, I hope it doesn't spend too much time jumping all over the place with a disconnected and confusing plot.
2016-08-12, 9:33 AM #4
Boinga One, or nada
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-08-12, 9:46 AM #5
I would have preferred Jan Ors and Kyle Katarn to unmemorable executive bikeshedding.
2016-08-12, 10:02 AM #6
So they are still doing reshoots over this summer? Are "reshoots" at this time typically a bad sign, or business-as-usual for movies of this size?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-08-12, 12:57 PM #7
It is a sign of executive bikeshedding.
2016-08-12, 1:25 PM #8
Remember when people saw the first trailer and were like "wow, this looks like a war movie" and "this looks darker than the other ones" and "I'm excited to see this"?

That's why they're reshooting. To get rid of all of that.
2016-08-12, 1:43 PM #9
Reshoots are a normal process of making a film. They are aways scheduled ahead of time. Not when an apparent need arises. I remember back when the prequels were made the news that reshoots had started was totally normal and just part of the "woohoo, the movie is almost finished" reports.
2016-08-12, 1:47 PM #10
And concerning the tone of trailers:

https://youtu.be/KmkVWuP_sO0
2016-08-12, 2:04 PM #11
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Remember when people saw the first trailer and were like "wow, this looks like a war movie" and "this looks darker than the other ones" and "I'm excited to see this"?

That's why they're reshooting. To get rid of all of that.

That doesn't sound like bikeshedding. That's full-on demolition.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-08-12, 2:28 PM #12

2/3, but replace "I'm excited to see this" with "meh." It didn't look like a particularly interesting or enjoyable war movie.
2016-08-12, 3:21 PM #13
Originally posted by Impi:
Reshoots are a normal process of making a film. They are aways scheduled ahead of time. Not when an apparent need arises. I remember back when the prequels were made the news that reshoots had started was totally normal and just part of the "woohoo, the movie is almost finished" reports.

No, sources inside Disney said execs screened the first cut and sent it back for reshoots to make it more jaunty and adventuresome. They want it to feel more like ANH.

Reshoots are a normal thing in films but it's usually not a good result when the creative geniuses behind stock buybacks and financial modeling are giving creative pointers.
2016-08-12, 6:33 PM #14
Everything live-action that Disney does is subject to reshoots. It's part of how their assembly line works. Damned near all of the Marvel movies get reshoots, to the point where it's not even a headline anymore when it happens. They shoot, edit, screen, reshoot, edit, release.

There's nothing remarkable about it whatsoever. There's no reason to suspect this means it's a Suicide Squad - level disasterpiece. Primarily because Disney is a competent production company that knows how to churn out a crowd-pleasing film 90% of the time.
>>untie shoes
2016-08-12, 9:46 PM #15
I thought Episode 7 was trash, so I'm not at all going to suggest that Rogue One will be an unwatchable flop. I'm painfully aware that I am the outlier here.

The problem is, Disney and I strongly disagree on what "Star Wars" ought to be. That's because I spent somewhere around 20 years playing Star Wars games and reading Star Wars novels, and Disney didn't. The EU went to some pretty damn dark places in that time. Coming back after all of that progress, to films that do little more than ape the tone of the original trilogy, is just as jarring whether the movies are made by George Lucas or by a Disney executive committee.

And that's the real reason the fans hated the prequels, isn't it? Lucasfilm spent the late 80s and 90s hiring writers to build up Star Wars into something much bigger than the films. When George Lucas came back, he tried to make the same old thing he's always made, and was genuinely (and rightfully) astonished that it's not what the fans expected anymore. That the fans expected something serious, instead of goof and camp. That's why I find it so incredible that Disney would be making all of the same mistakes again; Episode 7 was the same god damn thing as the prequels, the same lame story with the same bad pacing, only this time they hired Harrison Ford to throw a big ol' lipstick grin on that ****ing pig, and apparently they figured my nerd boner should have been turgid enough to not notice the dumpster fire raging on screen. And now we have Rogue One, doing all of that boring **** too, only this time they won't even have an old celebrity to throw at us.

I posted a few months ago that I'd only see the movie if it turned out to be a Dark Forces movie, about Jan Ors and Kyle Katarn. I'm standing by that. All of the earliest rumors suggested that this movie started its life as exactly that, a Dark Forces adaptation, and has only mutated into its current state through what I can only describe as an act of utter contempt for the fans that kept the series limping along through the early 90s. I mean, what else could it be, honestly? The name of the main character is a ****ing mispronunciation of Jan Ors. They actually had to put in work to make it not Dark Forces.

And, you know, if I were still a kid, I'd probably take all of this ****. I'd've probably never read any of the novels, or played any of the good games. But as an adult fan, I don't give a **** about the Skywalkers or Han Solo or the original trilogy anymore. **** those boring, badly written characters. I want to watch the Corran Horns and the Kyle Katarns and the Thrawns and the expanded Wedge Antilles and all of the other fun, halfway well-written characters thrown in by the good writers. You know, the characters Disney axed for what I am sure are great reasons. So right now, I'm basically like... what the **** is the point of all this? There's better lightsaber fights on youtube now, so the new film series doesn't even have that to offer. I guess I'm supposed to learn the names of a whole new batch of side characters, just so they can get erased from history again when I'm in my 50s?

Christ almighty.
2016-08-13, 10:03 AM #16
Wait, didn't Disney declare the entire EU non-canon when they bought Star Wars?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2016-08-13, 10:06 AM #17
Yeah, that's why they're rebuilding the canon with this stuff.

And it actually makes some sense, though, because in the old SW EU they had a million "Death Star plans" stories that they retroactively tried to explain with "well, they just stole SOME of the plans" which was lame just like 97.0930% of the old SW EU anyway.
2016-08-13, 10:33 AM #18
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Yeah, that's why they're rebuilding the canon with this stuff.

And it actually makes some sense, though, because in the old SW EU they had a million "Death Star plans" stories that they retroactively tried to explain with "well, they just stole SOME of the plans" which was lame just like 97.0930% of the old SW EU anyway.

Look, I'm not saying that they didn't need to reboot the canon. They did, and badly. They ****ed up that continuity like a team of DC writers. But at least DC knows better than to toss out Batman, just because he was in Detective Comics instead of Action Comics.

They just as easily could have blessed popular characters from the existing EU, and rebooted their stories. Instead, though, we get Jan-Ors-with-a-mouth-full-of-dick and her merry band of who cares.
2016-08-13, 11:42 AM #19
No, sources inside Disney said execs screened the first cut and sent it back for reshoots to make it more jaunty and adventuresome. They want it to feel more like ANH.

This was later proven to be B.S. They didn't even do proper re-shoots. They did mostly pick up shots.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2016-08-13, 6:04 PM #20
Instead, though, we get Jan-Ors-with-a-mouth-full-of-dick

I'd watch that adaptation.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2016-08-13, 8:14 PM #21
2016-08-13, 8:21 PM #22
Sadly it looks like we'll never see a Monkey Island or a Dark Forces movie.
2016-08-14, 9:08 AM #23
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I'd watch that adaptation.

Yeah, it's about time for Cave_Demon to release JKSEX after at least 13 years.
2016-08-14, 12:57 PM #24
I once did a nude Mara Jade skin. I was young and did not have Tomb Raider to get my blocky **** (little birds) fix.
2016-08-15, 4:52 AM #25
I still have my nude Impi.3do there somewhere.
2016-08-15, 6:48 PM #26
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcmb2YkIpJo
former entrepreneur
2016-08-15, 7:01 PM #27
It's amusing to see how hard s/he had to try to find actiony bits from ESB (which, unlike recent films, aren't supposed to drive the film), just to get it to go with the music from the film, which has obviously been composed in a sort of heavy way so as to draw out special effects, as a replacement for genuine human emotion or dialog longer than a single line.
2016-08-16, 3:34 PM #28
I like this version more: https://youtu.be/oMmiNeVrbDk
2016-08-16, 9:37 PM #29
Originally posted by Impi:
I like this version more: https://youtu.be/oMmiNeVrbDk

tru
former entrepreneur
2016-08-16, 9:37 PM #30
Originally posted by Eversor:
tru

e