Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Favourite Podcats*
Favourite Podcats*
2016-08-28, 5:17 PM #1
Hiya, I'd like some new stuff to listen to so what are you nerds' favourite podcasts?*

*caveat: no gaming or tech related stuff because that **** is everywhere/****ing endless

Imma contribute:

2 Good Boys

Supernatural Entertainment System

In case you lot care for Scottish accents.
nope.
2016-08-28, 6:37 PM #2
This is definitely my favourite podcat:

[http://www.hepper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Pod-Grey-hudson-900.jpg]
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-08-28, 10:29 PM #3
I tried to take up the podcast thing in 2012 or thereabouts, but I stopped pretty quickly because I can burn through written articles a lot faster. Maybe I'd try again if I had to drive in my commute instead of taking mass transit.
2016-08-29, 3:11 AM #4
Originally posted by gbk:
This is definitely my favourite podcat:

[http://www.hepper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Pod-Grey-hudson-900.jpg]

well ****
nope.
2016-08-29, 9:20 AM #5
Nearly always...

• FiveThirtyEight
  • Radiolab
  • Revisionist History
  • Serial
  • StarTalk Radio
  • TED Radio Hour
  • This American Life
  • Waking Up with Sam Harris

Occasionally, when the guests are interesting...

• Fresh Air
  • The Joe Rogan Experience
  • The Tim Ferris Show
  • WTF with Marc Maron

I'm in need of scaling back due to time constraints, even though Gladwell's Revisionist History is supposed to only be ten episodes & Serial is only around that many per year, so that'll take care of itself. I recently tried David Gregory's podcast but dropped it after a few episodes, once I realized that he was a god botherer. It's a shame because he has good guests.
? :)
2016-08-29, 3:26 PM #6
Big Pop Fun with Tom Wilson (aka Biff Tannen) - Interviews and observations, has a 3 part Mark Hamill.

Going Off Track - Interviews with Punk/ska/hardcore/music people

Jonah Raydio - General music and screw arounding
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2016-08-29, 6:17 PM #7
RebelForce Radio (and definitely Star Wars Oxygen if you love John William's scores)
Geek Out Loud - everything geeky
Big Honkin' Show - about an hour of random nothingness, animals taking over the world, and bigfoot with beautiful hair
TechnoRetroDads - if you like stuff from the 70's and 80's
Deucecast Movie Show - movies, of course

By the way, I thought this place was supposed to be dead.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2016-08-29, 6:42 PM #8
My Brother, My Brother and Me - The funniest podcast I have ever heard

The Bodega Boys - The other funniest one

I Don't Even Own A Television - A podcast for clowning on bad books

FiveThirtyEight - Podcast for diet cream soda enthusiasts
2016-08-29, 7:00 PM #9
Partially Examined Life, for funny philosophy readings

History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps, for academic philosophy readings

I don't listen to either much anymore though.
2016-08-30, 12:10 AM #10
Originally posted by Jon`C:
because I can burn through written articles a lot faster.

On a totally thread-related note, that's one of the reasons why I never got into actual modern game editing. I can't stand video tutorials.

As for podcats, I honestly thought they were only in during the year 2005. I'm surprised they're still ... extant.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-08-30, 5:42 AM #11
I listen to so many podcasts a week, I usually listen to them at 1.5 speed, to get through them all.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2016-08-30, 7:46 AM #12
Rather than podcasts, I've thought about starting a habit of listening to books on tape... uh, I mean, audiobooks. Usually for things that are interesting but not incredibly deep, and I can play while doing other things. I recently got through an entire book on a weekend, which I just had playing continuously in the background.
2016-08-30, 8:21 PM #13
WTF w/ Marc Maron
former entrepreneur
2016-08-31, 5:28 AM #14
I listen to podcasts a fair bit either while running or on my commute:

The Dollop - Two idiot comedians cover weird bits of American history.

Hardcore History - Former talk radio presenter and history grad does really engaging pieces on whatever areas of history interest him. Makes for great overviews.

12 Byzantine Rulers - By the guy who started the whole history podcasting thing

Talking History - The Unification of Italy

The China History Podcast - A very laidback Californian and long-term China hand presents Chinese history in a very approachable manner

Popup Chinese - Bitesize Chinese lessons

Sinica - The best English language podcast out there on current affairs, culture etc in China. Covers a variety of stuff like "shanzhai" counterfeit culture, Chinese attitudes to air pollution, golf, censorship, Chinese cruise ship tourism, birdwatching and conservation in Beijing, women's rights, neo-Maoists etc.

In Our Time - A BBC radio programme - 3 or 4 professors are invited each week to talk on a specific subject of theirs for the layperson. A bit rushed along by the presenter to fit the 40 minute format but it never meanders.

Kermode & Mayo Film Reviews - A couple of wittering, middle-aged fuddy duddies talk about cinema. A BBC radio programme with a slightly cultish following in the UK.

FilmSpotting

Serial - Season 1 covered a murder conviction case which may have been a miscarriage of justice. Season 2 covers the story of Bo Bergdahl in depth.

Radiolab - science & philosophy-ish

99% Invisible - town planning, design, architecture, technology, infrastructure and a smidgin of history

Africa Today - Weekly African news roundup from the BBC

BBC World Service Documentary podcasts
2016-08-31, 6:11 AM #15
Ooh Hardcore History is great, I managed the entire series on World War 1 because my mother's side has a few ancestors that fought in the war, and since it's the 100 year anniversary of the war I thought it was appropriate.

Also the Canadian 1st division best division, my great grandfather fought with them 1914 until the end of the war
2016-09-02, 2:32 PM #16
I tried to take up the podcast thing in 2012 or thereabouts, but I stopped pretty quickly because I can burn through written articles a lot faster. Maybe I'd try again if I had to drive in my commute instead of taking mass transit.

Why the difference? Do you not like to wear headphones or does it distract you from more productive things that you are able to accomplish on mass transit?
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-09-02, 2:36 PM #17
I can read faster than humans can talk.

Edit: or are you asking why I don't do both at the same time? It's because I'm not Data from Star Trek, that's why.
2016-09-02, 8:20 PM #18
Probably most of us can read faster than speech and of course we can't read and listen at the same time. Considering that you podcasts and aren't simply articles read aloud it must be that you find articles more entertaining then.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-09-02, 8:34 PM #19
We Have Concerns and The Jillian Michael's Show (no shame) are my regular podcasts. Also, Serial when it's running.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2016-09-02, 8:38 PM #20
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Probably most of us can read faster than speech and of course we can't read and listen at the same time. Considering that you podcasts and aren't simply articles read aloud it must be that you find articles more entertaining then.

Right, they are several articles, arranged with no table of contents, designed to be consumed linearly. I have yet to find a podcat which I did not want to seek through.
2016-09-03, 5:36 AM #21
I've been meaning to start listening to Chapo Trap House. But I can't put headphones in at work and my commute is taken up listening to our ****ty local conservative talk radio, to keep me grounded.

Anyway, the first season of Serial was good. I haven't finished the second.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2016-09-03, 8:46 AM #22
Sometimes, when I'm alone and feeling strange, I'll be struck with a blithe curiosity and morbid fascination which impel me to watch clips of Wally George from the `80s.
2016-09-05, 10:25 AM #23
Right, they are several articles, arranged with no table of contents, designed to be consumed linearly. I have yet to find a podcat which I did not want to seek through.

Especially podcasts that are of talk radio programs. They are full of lead-ins and -outs, recaps, host commercials for sponsors, etc. A lot of redundancy throughout the program for those that would have tuned in late as well as across several days.

↑ Up to the top!