Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Did we discuss this?...
Did we discuss this?...
2016-10-15, 10:29 PM #1
I'm lazy and don't follow anything on these boards, so if you already discussed this when it came out, delete the thread:

Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI
Nothing to see here, move along.
2016-10-16, 1:20 AM #2
No thread made for it before this one?

Heh, must have been a rogue one.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-10-16, 8:31 AM #3
Typical Mexican taking my job. https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?67705-New-Rogue-One-Trailer-is-here
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-10-16, 8:33 AM #4
And what I wrote in that thread still stands. Jones looks too clean and now I came to dislike her patriotic speeches. Probably due to her character arc, but I liked her "This is a rebellion. I rebell." more.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-10-16, 10:50 AM #5
Oh, so a thread has been made on this subject before but I couldn't remember it?

Heh, must have been a rogue one.
2016-10-16, 6:47 PM #6
Originally posted by Impi:
And what I wrote in that thread still stands. Jones looks too clean and now I came to dislike her patriotic speeches. Probably due to her character arc, but I liked her "This is a rebellion. I rebell." more.

Yeah, the whole "rebellions are built on hope!" and everyone nodding in agreement like they just 'got it' was kinda cringey. I'm not sure if that's an editing issue with the trailer.

The movie is strangely devoid of anything iconic (at least in the trailer) that wasn't iconic in the OT. Except maybe Asian Man Who Knows Martial Arts, which I sorta think is for overseas movie audiences...? He sticks out
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-10-16, 7:06 PM #7
I literally do not care about this movie.
2016-10-16, 7:24 PM #8
*posts about it on dead forum for an even deader game*
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-10-16, 7:28 PM #9
I lost any give a **** for this movie when I watched the recent Red Letter Media bit for TFA and they pointed out that Disney has a Star Wars movie planned for every year until 2020.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-10-16, 8:13 PM #10
And a Marvel movie or two a year I assume?
2016-10-17, 1:06 AM #11
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Yeah, the whole "rebellions are built on hope!" and everyone nodding in agreement like they just 'got it' was kinda cringey. I'm not sure if that's an editing issue with the trailer.

The movie is strangely devoid of anything iconic (at least in the trailer) that wasn't iconic in the OT. Except maybe Asian Man Who Knows Martial Arts, which I sorta think is for overseas movie audiences...? He sticks out

Pretty sure those are two very different scenes. She is probably replying to the black lady in the briefing room, while the shot of the guys nodding is from the inside of a U-Wing.

Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
I lost any give a **** for this movie when I watched the recent Red Letter Media bit for TFA and they pointed out that Disney has a Star Wars movie planned for every year until 2020.

Huh? This has been public knowledge for years (ever since Disney announced it bought Star Wars and was making movies). 1 Episode and 1 spinoff every alternating year. It's not like these movies are made in a year, each pre to post production cycle is roughly 2.5 to 3 years per film.
2016-10-17, 7:11 AM #12
I hadn't seen/heard that, so it was news to me. My immediate reaction was "Oh, so now Star Wars is the new Marvel universe," which I think summarizes my issue with it. Every single Marvel movie is exactly the same thing, devoid of substance, but people eat it up because "muh persistent world and tie-ins, also waow lookit those graphics" and if (hah, when) they they turn Star Wars into that, I'm done. Not that it matters what I do.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-10-17, 7:44 AM #13

That Red Letter Media "bit" was about an hour and a half!
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-10-17, 8:24 AM #14
Original creative works take time and effort and may not be a box office success. It's much easier to rely on trusted brands.

I mean the whole thing really is just about money.
2016-10-17, 9:14 AM #15
I hadn't seen/heard that, so it was news to me. My immediate reaction was "Oh, so now Star Wars is the new Marvel universe," which I think summarizes my issue with it. Every single Marvel movie is exactly the same thing, devoid of substance, but people eat it up because "muh persistent world and tie-ins, also waow lookit those graphics" and if (hah, when) they they turn Star Wars into that, I'm done. Not that it matters what I do.

100% agreed.

Except I also thought TFA was a terrible, boring movie. So I'm already done with Star Wars about as much as I'm done with Marvel.

If I were a film executive, I might be a little worried that the most consistent thing people are saying about our high paced action franchises is that they're boring. But then again, I have a brain, a soul, and a sense of what a viewer would want, so I'm not qualified for that job.
2016-10-17, 10:16 AM #16
Originally posted by Jon`C:

If I were a film executive, I might be a little worried that the most consistent thing people are saying about our high paced action franchises is that they're boring.

But boring usually means muted settings/premises which means less worry about cultural boundaries. It'll do well overseas! Transformers is boring as hell but it still makes $$$ in China.

Movies can be like suppositories.
2016-10-17, 10:23 AM #17
I've always aimed for boring.

And if all goes well, my next project will be the Ultimate Example in that regard.
2016-10-17, 10:33 AM #18
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Except I also thought TFA was a terrible, boring movie. So I'm already done with Star Wars about as much as I'm done with Marvel.

My hope is that Jar Jar Abrams got the fan service out of his system (since he just rebooted ANH) and he'll make a new movie for Episode 8.

But let's be real here, lol at actual fan service in the form of making a good movie that we haven't seen
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-10-17, 10:46 AM #19
But let's be real here, lol at actual fan service in the form of making a good movie that we haven't seen

Not 100% sure what you mean. But I like throw out Mad Max: Fury Road as a good movie that rebooted (sorta?) that franchise that serviced the fans.
2016-10-17, 11:14 AM #20
I didn't go watch TFA after seeing that advertising and marchandising campaign, I got so sick of hearing about Star Wars 5 times a week and seeing branding almost literally everywhere that I decided not to see the film out of spite.
2016-10-17, 11:25 AM #21
My hope is that Jar Jar Abrams got the fan service out of his system (since he just rebooted ANH) and he'll make a new movie for Episode 8.

J.J. Abrams isn't directing this one.
2016-10-17, 11:52 AM #22

I think it would be difficult to make a good sequel considering how bad the last one was. The new trilogy is basically unsalvageable. It's like how AotC and RotS were fairly decent movies, but TPM fixed a really bad trend that ended up overshadowing anything enjoyable about the sequels. TFA is an even worse movie than TPM in this way (like, it's easily the worst written Star Wars story ever), so I just don't see getting any good movies out of this.

A lot of people complain about how TFA's a remake of ANH. Well, no it's not. ANH didn't have a bunch of pointless and awkward cameos, or a main character with an overtly mysterious past. If it were a remake of ANH it might have been a good movie.

Like, Luke Skywalker ended up having a mysterious past. But it wasn't originally presented that way. People just thought he was a farm boy son of a dead Jedi, they didn't bury the lede like with Rei. The omissions and lies made the ESB reveal exciting. With Rei it's just boring because everybody knows it's coming. TFA is just so badly written that I cannot believe it.
2016-10-17, 12:07 PM #23
Rei's overtly mysterious past could be a totally fine and innocuous character detail, but God, you just know there must be some kind of big "reveal" coming, because that's what these movies have to be about/for these days. Remember Charlize Theron biting out "Father." near the end of Prometheus? Didn't everyone watching just sit there blankly, thinking "Ok? Who gives a ****?"

It cheapens the character if they can't have their own significance. If it turns out Rei is Luke's daughter or some bull**** like that, this will be me:

:-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/
2016-10-17, 12:09 PM #24
Ain't that a shame.
2016-10-17, 12:10 PM #25
But yeah, get ready for that reveal in Episode VIII, the Empire Strikes Back Yet Again. You won't believe care who Rei's parents are!
2016-10-17, 12:10 PM #26
Niku, don't pretend like the degree to which I am pleased or disappointed by a moofie isn't important to you.
2016-10-17, 12:12 PM #27
I AM EXCITED FOR MORE MOVIES BECAUSE ROGUE ONE LOOKS FUN. FUN IS FUN. LET PEOPLE HAVE FUN.

MORE LIKE UNSALVAGABLOL
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2016-10-17, 12:16 PM #28
Originally posted by mb:
I AM EXCITED FOR MORE MOVIES BECAUSE ROGUE ONE LOOKS FUN. FUN IS FUN. LET PEOPLE HAVE FUN.

MORE LIKE UNSALVAGABLOL

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, MB!
2016-10-17, 12:18 PM #29
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, MB!

STOP LIKING BAD MOVIES
2016-10-17, 12:19 PM #30
FYI her name is Rey FYI
2016-10-17, 12:29 PM #31
The big reveal should have been that Jar Jar Binks was the phantom menace all along.

Darth Jar Jar.
2016-10-17, 12:35 PM #32
Originally posted by saberopus:
J.J. Abrams isn't directing this one.

Wow, I am out of the loop.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-10-17, 12:48 PM #33
Originally posted by saberopus:
Rei's overtly mysterious past could be a totally fine and innocuous character detail, but God, you just know there must be some kind of big "reveal" coming, because that's what these movies have to be about/for these days. Remember Charlize Theron biting out "Father." near the end of Prometheus? Didn't everyone watching just sit there blankly, thinking "Ok? Who gives a ****?"

It cheapens the character if they can't have their own significance. If it turns out Rei is Luke's daughter or some bull**** like that, this will be me:

:-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Rei is Luke Skywalker's daughter

:-/

Rei is the actual Chosen One

Rei is the reincarnation of Darth Vader

Rei is Kylo Ren's sister

Rei is just some student they ditched to protect her

:-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

Originally posted by mb:

MORE LIKE UNSALVAGABLOL
Posting my opinion is fun. Fun is fun. Let people have fun.

More like insufferablol.

Originally posted by mb:
FYI her name is Rey FYI
If the writers didn't care enough to write a good script, I certainly shouldn't care enough to remember how her name is spelled.
2016-10-17, 1:56 PM #34
i mean leading off with 'i literally do not care' is always great

and zing zing ZING on REI
2016-10-17, 2:38 PM #35
Rey is probably related (probably not by blood but by design) to Palpatine. Not Luke.
2016-10-17, 3:42 PM #36
Rey is definitely stepdaughter of secret sith lord Darth Jar Jar, phantom menace and ruler of palpatine
2016-10-17, 3:43 PM #37
Rey is Finn's sister.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2016-10-17, 3:56 PM #38
JJ Abrams.. where have I seen those initials before..
2016-10-17, 4:55 PM #39
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
Rey is Finn's sister.

The incest is getting spicier this trilogy
2016-10-17, 7:34 PM #40
Rey being very force sensitive, coming from a desert planet that is much like Tatooine, dressing roughly to the female of equivalent of Luke, being an orphan, etc... It's all a Red Herring. Carrie Fisher recently let slip out that her character's brother (Luke) was too involved in "mystical jedi stuff to have a girlfriend". This confirms that Luke never had a relationship and by extension a child, and since Rey is not the child of Han and Leia, it leaves only one possibility: She, like Snoke, are completely new characters.

In the new EU, Jakku is quite an interesting place. Sidious went there searching for something ancient buried there shortly after he became Chancellor, and found an orphan boy strong in the force and made him an admiral in the Empire who would later on set the foundation for the First Order and die sometime before TFA. Sidious told the boy that Jakku was once a very important place in the Galaxy, and that it would be again.

I could go on and on, but what I am trying to point out is that VIII is going to surprise us.

↑ Up to the top!