Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Nintendo Switch revealed
Nintendo Switch revealed
2016-10-20, 8:23 AM #1
Nintendo revealed their new console: https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/20/switch-is-nintendos-next-game-console/

As rumored it will be a portable / home console hybrid. I actually quite like the concept. It is very versatile and should offer something for everyone.
Though I actually miss the point and shoot controls from the Wii. To me that was always the best way to play shooters apart from mouse + keyboard.

But it looks like they added one of the Wii features I liked most; the independently holdable controllers. I've never played so relaxed as on the Wii with the Wiimote in one hand and the Nunchuk in the other. I wonder why others are still forcing you to hold your hands so close together. Probably tradition.

If the price is right I will probably buy one for myself and the kids. The older one is just starting to get into video games so it should make a good gift for next year's christmas or his birthday.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-10-20, 9:11 AM #2
When I saw it I just thought, "meh." The tablet better be higher resolution than the crappy Wii U controller, 3DS, 3DS XL, etc. The screens on the Nintendo stuff so far are terrible compared to smart phones and even the cheapo $50 amazon tablets these days.

What I do like is the lack of disks. I hated when they went to cds/dvds because I hate loading screens.

I'll probably buy it even though I'm not excited about it just because I want to play the new Mario and Zelda games. We didn't get much use out of the Wii and Wii U but for some reason I'm a sucker for new consoles.
2016-10-20, 9:12 AM #3
And argh, screw you Nintendo. We bought Mario Maker and were super excited about it. Then we realized that you only get like 10% of the blocks and the rest come over time whenever they decide to give them to you. We finally got the second set but by that time we were bored of playing/making because we had such a limited set of blocks. The game has been collecting dust since the week after we bought it. We bought the damn game, why not let us play all of it!?
2016-10-20, 10:06 AM #4
Pascal and a good screen, and I'll be impressed. Tegra2 and a crappy screen, and I'll wonder why they wasted the R&D money on a ****ty tablet instead of writing iPad games.
2016-10-20, 10:23 AM #5
Not convinced. So after their handheld games and hardware was competing and being drowned by cheap app games for smartphones, Nintendo decides to have their core games and main console compete with the cheap/flashy game market for similar-sized tablets? Not only that, but the console is entering a marketplace that already has cheap "knockoffs". How are they planning to really distinguish their tablet-attachable-controllers product when there are really similar-looking-but-less-expensive things at your local electronic and toy store? I mean, people were confused about the Wii/WiiU console name, people can be confused about the look of the console now?

Why
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-10-20, 10:42 AM #6
I'm curious if it's a touch screen. No one touched the screen in the video as far as I could tell, so I'm guessing not, which kind of seems like a poor move to me.

Also curious how they'll handle backwards compatibility with Wii/WiiU and their peripherals in conjunction with the ability to take the console mobile.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-10-20, 10:46 AM #7
Also I think Nintendo is being too optimistic about how much effort the average person is going to give to ...assemble his gaming console. There are too many steps involved to take the thing out the door. It should be Step 1: Pick Up Device and that's it. Also, if there's no way to charge the tablet without putting it in the console stand, I'm going to LOL.
2016-10-20, 10:47 AM #8
They did show another controller in the video somewhere that was more traditional, so it seems that you can always leave the controllers attached and just use the external controller when you're home.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-10-20, 10:51 AM #9
Nintendo is finally getting access to the latest in cutting-edge games, like Skyrim.
2016-10-20, 11:08 AM #10
Imagine how amazing it would be if Nintendo made PC games.
2016-10-20, 12:43 PM #11
Yeah. The problem is that they always want to do something "unique" like motion controllers or stupid attached touch screens which they couldn't really do without at least selling their own peripherals (which nobody would buy). My problem is that I didn't play even one game on Wii or Wii U (or in "3d mode" on 3DS) that I remember loving because of the "unique" control scheme (like waggling or pointing or shaking or whatever). In fact, every game that I played on those that I actually liked was in spite of the ****ty controller. Since I really only want to play Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda, it sucks having to spend the money on a whole new console every few years just for those games. None of the 3rd party games on recent nintendo hardware have been worth it at all.
2016-10-20, 8:36 PM #12
Yeah, I'm not out to be a negative nancy, but I couldn't be less impressed at this point. We'll see, I guess.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-11-13, 4:50 AM #13
I think it looks neat & I like that they try & do things differently, but I'd love to pay for their entire back library if I could get it on Steam, where my games (including saved games) are in the cloud & where I can play them on the hardware of my choice, for years beyond the relevancy of their consoles.
? :)
2016-11-13, 6:37 AM #14
Looking back at the reveal, it's kinda funny that this clip seemed to be aimed at people in Massassi's general age group, 25-35. It's the entertainment device for us!
2016-11-13, 7:49 AM #15
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Looking back at the reveal, it's kinda funny that this clip seemed to be aimed at people in Massassi's general age group, 25-35. It's the entertainment device for us!

I'm definitely going to bring one to the next fancy roof party I get invited to.
2016-11-13, 7:55 AM #16
I'll bring one to the next ceiling party I invite myself into. You know, just hanging around.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-11-13, 2:19 PM #17
Originally posted by Impi:
I'm definitely going to bring one to the next fancy roof party I get invited to.

But I don't think she was invited... And I can see why she was not.

I mean, don't you hate it when you're in an orgy and someone pulls out their Nintendo.
2016-11-13, 2:35 PM #18
About as socially acceptable as it would be anywhere else.
2016-11-17, 1:55 PM #19
Pokémon Go. Never forget.
? :)
2016-11-17, 2:25 PM #20
One of the Berkeley postdocs here outnerded every student over the summer in Pokemon Go. He was level 30 at the beginning of the quarter. The addiction was real.
2016-11-17, 5:13 PM #21
It's sad that chasing fuzzy monsters on a phone now qualifies you as a nerd. It used to mean something.
2016-11-17, 9:13 PM #22
Originally posted by Brian:
It's sad that chasing fuzzy monsters on a phone now qualifies you as a nerd. It used to mean something.

wow
2016-11-18, 6:22 AM #23
seriously, Brian?
2016-11-18, 8:20 AM #24
Get off my lawn and get back into JHS where you belong, kiddos
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-11-18, 9:41 AM #25
"Stop appropriating nerd culture."
nope.
2016-11-18, 9:41 AM #26
Originally posted by Baconfish:
"Stop appropriating nerd culture."

Srsly though, stop. It's the ****ing pits.
nope.
2016-11-18, 11:10 AM #27
Who cares. Migrate to the next nerd frontier and maintain your fond memories of the old days.
2016-11-18, 12:27 PM #28
Hahah did I hit a nerve?
2016-11-18, 1:53 PM #29
Nerd used to basically mean moderate-functioning autist. Fortunately Aspergers Syndrome became a common diagnosis, so we're now free to use the term to describe people who consume popular media instead.
2016-11-19, 2:09 AM #30
So, in the way I used it probably both definitions apply, since a degree of autism is a near requisite to want to study math.
2016-11-19, 3:07 AM #31
[http://chainsawsuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/201203141.png]
2016-11-19, 5:33 AM #32
Originally posted by Reid:
So, in the way I used it probably both definitions apply, since a degree of autism is a near requisite to want to study math.

So are you autistic or not
2016-11-19, 8:14 AM #33
Originally posted by Brian:
Hahah did I hit a nerve?

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/waste/crying-indian1.jpg]
2016-11-19, 9:13 AM #34
I see what you did there. :mad:
2016-11-19, 9:35 AM #35
No, it's a joke. But yes, I wouldn't be surprised if a good third of the tenured and visiting professors here are spectrum.
2016-11-19, 11:47 AM #36
Maybe you should check out both ends of the spectrum to see what level of autism is right for you!
2016-11-19, 10:29 PM #37
Yeah maybe
2016-11-20, 1:43 AM #38
... oh! Spectrum!

Man, do I owe an apology to the owner of that speculum I just used.
2017-01-13, 3:22 AM #39
Well, they announced that it would cost 300 $. 330 € in Europe. Without any games. Too expensive for me. I'll pass.
2017-01-13, 8:19 AM #40
I'm not excited. The screen is too small. It's too wimpy. It will barely be able to push 1080p when it's docked. The games they are announcing are mostly old rehashes that we've already played. Seriously, skyrim? mario kart 8? Pay for multiplayer? They've got a lot to prove before I pay them for MP. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever played a non-local multiplayer match on a nintendo console.

I'll probably still eventually get it, if only for zelda. The mario game didn't even look interesting this time around. Bleck. I play games to get away from cities and traffic, now you're telling me I have to play mario in a city with traffic? ugh.

↑ Up to the top!