Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Holonet never had netsplits
Holonet never had netsplits
2016-10-22, 2:33 PM #1
Except for one.

The one that killed it.

RIP Holonet.

And for the record, the pre-Holonet server for #massassi, chatcircuit, still exists and trying to join #massassi is VERBOTEN!

Share your favorite Holonet memory or whatever.

I am still somewhat fond of that one time in 2002 when kak (I think) changed his nick to FastGamerrr and a bunch of other people started changing their nicks to FastGamerrrr and so on.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-10-25, 9:00 PM #2
I googled "netsplit" and I still don't understand what it is.
2016-10-25, 9:29 PM #3
An ice-cream dish looking like a spider's web.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-10-25, 11:32 PM #4
A netsplit is a very special moment in local IRC-space-time, in which a subset of the channel get to all discuss what they really think of FGR. :-P
2016-10-26, 6:25 AM #5
A "netsplit" is when an inter-server connection in a multi-server IRC network breaks. The result, inside of an IRC channel, is that a bunch of nicks suddenly disconnect at once, usually to all reconnect at once shortly afterwards.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-10-26, 7:32 AM #6
Simply put: a netsplit happens when a server is disconnected from the main hub.

Holonet had only one server, thus there were no netsplits, just occasional server crashes (and I can only remember one such instance during my Holonet years of 2002-2006 or whatever).
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-10-30, 4:22 PM #7
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
And for the record, the pre-Holonet server for #massassi, chatcircuit, still exists and trying to join #massassi is VERBOTEN!

Huh. Literally verboten. Auto kban. Neat.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!