Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What are you watching?
What are you watching?
2016-11-13, 9:06 AM #1
So, there are three movies out that I really want to see but we settled on Doctor Strange. Seemed like a good pick for the whole family. I thought it was really good and it seemed like a refreshing change for the Marvel series. Hacksaw Ridge and Arrival are the other two I'd really like to see.

Started PS Vue up again so we can stay current with The Walking Dead. Brutal premiere and the first three episodes were all good imo.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-11-13, 10:20 AM #2
Ash vs Evil Dead
Sometimes a little too silly and too much CGI blood. Though they seem to have toned the latter down for the second season. Or they got better. But overall it's fun. A shame they didn't get the rights to Army of Darkness. But perhaps it's for the better, as AoD wasn't really horror anymore.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-11-13, 4:28 PM #3
Before the Flood & Anthropoid

BtF was nothing new to anyone who's even vaguely followed any news from climate science since the millenium. Di Caprio's dull and hypocritical arguments with an Indian climate change campaigner were particularly annoying.

Anthropoid was amazing though; pretty standard WW2 resistance thriller beginnings but a ridiculously taut and realistic-feeling final third.
2016-11-13, 8:34 PM #4
The Grand Tour finally comes out this week. Very excited for this.
2016-11-20, 9:55 PM #5
So I've seen a couple of really neat sci-fi documentaries on Netflix. Today I watched I am Your Father which is about David Prowse and that reminded me of Chaos on the Bridge that I watched a few weeks ago about The Next Generation and Gene Rodenberry. Both really suck you into the narrative.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-11-21, 2:54 PM #6
Ash vs Evil Dead
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2016-11-21, 8:12 PM #7
Seeing Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on Wednesday. Loving, Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, and Moonlight are priorities for me as soon as I can find the time.

As for TV, mostly just Westworld and Ash vs. Evil Dead at the moment.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2016-11-22, 6:33 PM #8
15 years ago, I probably would have replied with "Your mamma!". However, that no longer seems appealing.

Star Trek: Deep Space 9 on Netflix. I really didn't get into the show until Michael Dorn joined the cast, so I missed the first several seasons. Finally decided to go back and watch the series all the way through since it's never in syndication like TNG is.
2016-11-23, 6:15 AM #9
I still find your mamma appealing.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-11-23, 7:43 AM #10
Originally posted by Alco:
Star Trek: Deep Space 9 on Netflix.

Seasons 6 and 7 are the best, by far and away. Except for any episode that has Dukat in it. Or any Kira-heavy episode.
Screw it, Imma just watch Babylon 5.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2016-11-29, 4:36 AM #11
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
I still find your mamma appealing.

Is Freelancer's mother still censored?

"Free's mom".

Edit: Nope!
nope.
2016-11-29, 9:13 AM #12
I've watched all but the latest episode of this season of The Walking Dead and I'm just not enjoying it at all. The only reason I'm still watching is because I paid amazon for it. This show is just hit or miss season-by-season. The first season was great at the time. Then they lost it when they spent an entire season at the farm searching for the daughter everyone knew dead. Most boring season ever. The show got good again, then I remember it getting boring again. Then it got good again. Then the absolutely brutal season premiere this year was impossible for me to watch. I had to keep looking away. I sort of get where they're going with it (or where I think they're going with it) but they're taking so long to get there. And it's no fun at all. You've gotta give audiences something good, some redeeming quality, something to look forward to, some small victory. Ugh.

I've also been almost religiously watching The Daily Show for years and I miss Jon Stewart. I actually really liked Trevor Noah's standup and I enjoyed him for a while as host but I'm tired of sitting down for ~20 minutes each day listening to him rant about Donald Trump. And it's nothing new each day, it's the same crap over and over. Come on, man, let's move on to something new already.
2016-11-29, 5:46 PM #13
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah is decent & I watch via YouTube on occasion but I find Last Week Tonight with John Oliver to be much better.
? :)
2016-11-29, 6:24 PM #14
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njAC38WnQo0

Why can't I make this work?! Argle bargle.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2016-12-01, 10:59 AM #15
Originally posted by Mentat:
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah is decent & I watch via YouTube on occasion but I find Last Week Tonight with John Oliver to be much better.

I've noticed that ever since Trevor Noah took over the Daily Show it seems to have almost dropped off the face of the planet, though I say that as a foreigner that used to see clips of Jon Stewart tearing into things posted daily, not someone that actively watched it.
nope.
2016-12-01, 2:39 PM #16
It's now pretty much just dedicated to Trump. With some funny africa jokes thrown in now and again. Sucks :(
2016-12-01, 3:47 PM #17
But how does one make comedy material about Trump? He's a different beast than the punching bag Bush.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-12-01, 5:27 PM #18
The best game to play is the one where everyone just starts ignoring Trump's words and starts attacking his actions. Simply don't let him gain the attention he's trying to gain.
2016-12-01, 7:09 PM #19
Boy it's going to be hilarious when the white supremacist administration doesn't turn out to be materially more racist than normal administration, though.
2016-12-02, 1:57 PM #20
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Boy it's going to be hilarious when the white supremacist administration doesn't turn out to be materially more racist than normal administration, though.

Yep. But you sure do hear about it a lot more, and it's a much more urgent issue for the media, when the president's a Republican!
former entrepreneur
2016-12-02, 2:21 PM #21
In other news I just watched the latest Walking Dead last night and my thoughts haven't changed at all. I'm so bored of this show now. Argh.

I watched Red Oaks and enjoyed it. And Good Girls Revolt. Both on Amazon Prime video.
2016-12-03, 12:12 AM #22
Difficult People is funny as hell.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2016-12-03, 3:28 AM #23
I've been watching Stranger Things. It's good, but I think they could have told the story in fewer, shorter episodes, and it would have been more satisfying. TV's emergence as the dominant medium for telling stories has produced some compelling work, but it's also incentivized those who tell stories to indulge themselves just to fill an hour (for example, by giving excessive screen time to secondary or even tertiary characters who simply aren't that interesting, or adding scenes that don't move the story along or tell us anything about additional characters). I often think the quality of the programming would increase if more series had four episodes instead of eight or ten (although with companies competing over our attention, it's obvious that the Netflixs and HBOs of the world have a vested interest in us spending as much time watching their programming as possible, regardless of quality).

South Park is alright this season, but it doesn't have its finger on the pulse to the same degree as last season. Still, they captured so well how it felt for so many of us when the results of the election came in this year, and, generally, it does a good job at pointing out the hypocrisies of both the right and the left.
former entrepreneur
2016-12-03, 11:27 AM #24
I don't recall ever being disappointed by the Walking Dead. Sure, some of the recent episodes are slower than usual but they're introducing us to the larger world so I don't mind the slow down. Of course we all want more Rick and Daryl and Revenge but of course that's not going to happen too quickly. I hadn't even thought about purchasing the episodes or the entire season until recently. Usually I just wait until they come on Netflix but I decided to turn PS Vue back on to watch it. It would be cheaper to just buy them, I guess, but PS Vue gives me other viewing options and I can watch the show live. I definitely wouldn't stick with a show I don't like, though. I gave The Newsroom a shot and almost stuck with it just to see how bad it would get but I gave it up a few episodes in.

Designated Survivor is good, one of the few shows I'll watch on a weekly basis. Actually, it's semi-weekly right now.

↑ Up to the top!