Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rogue One
Rogue One
2016-12-12, 3:12 PM #1
It's coming out this week. Wednesday, I think? It'll be interesting to spot all the Jedi Knight stuff.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-12-12, 4:53 PM #2
Pfft. Everyone knows Kyle Katarn single-handedly secured the death star plans.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2016-12-12, 5:51 PM #3
I watched the Force Awakens about one year ago on a chilly Saturday morning at 1am as a broken lonely man, in a theatre next to the Goldman Sachs headquarters building and among an audience of ugly talking banking execs-types and overpaid business hustlers who probably couldn't sleep for reasons no one would want to explain. No kids, no teenagers but a bunch of fully grown, not all that sober adults who, maybe like me, wanted to rekindle that childhood spark for 2 hours by watching a space fantasy movie that was made primarily for kids.

I wonder if I could do that again.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-12-12, 7:13 PM #4
Nope, not watching another SW film until they make one about Jacen Solo.
2016-12-12, 9:44 PM #5
I get to watch it Thursday 12:05 A.M.

People are saying it's the best film since Empire Strikes Back.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2016-12-12, 10:13 PM #6
I wish there was a new Star Wars film starring a spaceship named after a space elk deer whatever with extremely prominent lower extremities.

It would be called TOE-DOE ONE.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-12-12, 10:46 PM #7
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I get to watch it Thursday 12:05 A.M.

People are saying it's the best film since Empire Strikes Back.

Really? Who's saying that?
2016-12-13, 1:24 AM #8
nah, nah, nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah
former entrepreneur
2016-12-13, 6:34 AM #9
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Really? Who's saying that?

Kevin Smith, it looks like, so you know it's a mature and meaningful opinion.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2016-12-13, 7:30 AM #10
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Kevin Smith, it looks like, so you know it's a mature and meaningful opinion.

BOOM. Roasted!
2016-12-13, 7:31 AM #11
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I watched the Force Awakens about one year ago on a chilly Saturday morning at 1am as a broken lonely man, in a theatre next to the Goldman Sachs headquarters building and among an audience of ugly talking banking execs-types and overpaid business hustlers who probably couldn't sleep for reasons no one would want to explain. No kids, no teenagers but a bunch of fully grown, not all that sober adults who, maybe like me, wanted to rekindle that childhood spark for 2 hours by watching a space fantasy movie that was made primarily for kids.

I wonder if I could do that again.

But how was it! How did it go??
2016-12-13, 8:54 AM #12
I'll try to perceive it as a generic summer blockbuster movie. Maybe it'll help. I'm seeing it on Sunday.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-12-13, 9:58 AM #13
I'm looking forward to it. I think they're going to be pushing a lot of Star Wars movies over the next few decades and I'm just expecting that about half of them are going to be crap. However, I enjoyed The Force Awakens and based on what little I've seen about Rogue One I'm expecting to enjoy it as well. I think George Lucas just made us wait too long for the original trilogy remakes (and then they sucked) and then again for the prequel trilogy (which mostly sucked) so when these new Disney movies come out and don't completely suck (only have some sucky aspects) it's a net win. I think I was just cheering at the end of The Force Awakens because there were no fart or butt jokes and I don't think I saw a Gungan? And if I did, it wasn't tripping around screaming "meesa stupid" so that was great.
2016-12-13, 10:48 AM #14
To be fair, all Disney needs to do in order to make good Star Wars films is to avoid the mistakes of the prequels. If you think about it, the reason why we love the OT more than the PT is because the OT doesn't make the same mistakes that the prequels did.
2016-12-13, 11:00 AM #15
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
To be fair, all Disney needs to do in order to make good Star Wars films is to avoid the mistakes of the prequels. If you think about it, the reason why we love the OT more than the PT is because the OT doesn't make the same mistakes that the prequels did.

"Disney movies will be good if they aren't bad."

"We like the original movies more because they are good, and the prequels are bad."
2016-12-13, 11:18 AM #16
I would like to thank everyone who sees Rogue One in theaters, so that I know whether or not to buy it on Blu-ray in 4 months which will be simultaneously a cheaper and better viewing experience.
2016-12-13, 11:25 AM #17
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I would like to thank everyone who sees Rogue One in theaters, so that I know whether or not to buy it on Blu-ray in 4 months which will be simultaneously a cheaper and better viewing experience.

Interestingly, the one movie theater left in my town is actually pretty good now. I can order tickets online and the all the seating is reserved. The seats are leather electric recliners which seem to be kept clean and in good repair. This is a theater I used to dread going to because of how crappy and uncomfortable the seats were. They went from like a hundred seats in front of each screen to maybe 24. There's actually enough room for others in the row to get in and out with the seats fully reclined which is awesome. We still don't go very often but when we do I don't mind paying the extra ~$4 per seat or whatever compared to what it used to cost.

I still much prefer watching most movies at home but I don't have a projector or anything so watching big sci-fi or fantasy movies in the theater is usually worth it.
2016-12-13, 12:19 PM #18
We don't have anything like that. If we had some Alamo Drafthouse kind of thing, I might consider seeing movies in theaters again.

As it is, though, standard tickets start at $13.25 here, which blows past the cost of a new release Blu-ray for a pretty terrible experience. Of course, if I'm dragging my ass across town to watch a movie, I'm not gonna waste my time on normal tickets, I'm gonna pay ~$16 a ticket for eye****-o-vision or ~$20 a ticket for the IMAX-brand retinal detachment. So basically we're looking at $40 before adding in child care, food, gas money, and ophthalmological care. Not to mention the sheer inconvenience of the whole thing, waiting to buy tickets, never knowing if you'll have to line up early to get a good seat, making sure you get there early enough. All this for a movie that, even under the best of conditions at the most premium theater, you still can't pause to go to the bathroom.
2016-12-13, 12:59 PM #19
Wait till you bring your kids with you. The smallest drink they sell is 184oz for $18 and the kid drinks half of it during the 20 minute previews and then we get to get up to use the restroom every 20 minutes through the entire movie ;)
2016-12-13, 2:21 PM #20
Originally posted by Jon`C:
We don't have anything like that. If we had some Alamo Drafthouse kind of thing, I might consider seeing movies in theaters again.

As it is, though, standard tickets start at $13.25 here, which blows past the cost of a new release Blu-ray for a pretty terrible experience. Of course, if I'm dragging my ass across town to watch a movie, I'm not gonna waste my time on normal tickets, I'm gonna pay ~$16 a ticket for eye****-o-vision or ~$20 a ticket for the IMAX-brand retinal detachment. So basically we're looking at $40 before adding in child care, food, gas money, and ophthalmological care. Not to mention the sheer inconvenience of the whole thing, waiting to buy tickets, never knowing if you'll have to line up early to get a good seat, making sure you get there early enough. All this for a movie that, even under the best of conditions at the most premium theater, you still can't pause to go to the bathroom.

I live a few blocks away from a theater... and they have reserved seating when buying tickets online.
2016-12-13, 10:59 PM #21
In Finland, we have this one ubiquitous cinema chain and they do have online reserved seating. We have smaller theaters that don't belong to the chain and don't have reserved seating, but they're typically the sort that will play I, Daniel Blake and leave out Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
2016-12-13, 11:55 PM #22
My local movie theatre will play Rogue One: A Star Wars Story for you, Kroko.

It doesn't belong to the chain either.

But there will be chains.

Wink.

Wink.

And by Rogue One I'm referring to the only way to open the door to the said theatre. I'm sorry.
2016-12-14, 5:42 AM #23
Originally posted by saberopus:
But how was it! How did it go??

It was great

No one pulled out a smartphone during the film.

Oh man, I will be surprised if theaters are still going in 10 years. Besides the competently-made-at-best big-budget movies, I don't see how people would risk facing buyers remorse on lesser-budget movies that are new or different.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-12-14, 9:32 AM #24
I've been awake for some hours now, and it just dawned upon me that in about 12 hours I will be watching a new Star Wars movie. Wow, I haven't felt much anticipation for this film until this very moment. I've accomplished my mission of keeping expectations low.
2016-12-14, 10:46 AM #25
For anyone who has seen it, do we actually see any familiar characters or even cameos in the film? Mon Mothma, Ackbar, Bail Organa? Or is every character someone new we haven't heard of?
2016-12-14, 10:51 AM #26
Is this a spoilers thread or a no spoilers thread??
2016-12-14, 10:57 AM #27
It's a spoilers in spoiler tags thread.

You really think we have enough active users to have TWO threads about one little movie?

Edit: Oh, spoiler tags don't work on mobile do they?
2016-12-14, 10:58 AM #28
Originally posted by Vin:
You really think we have enough active users to have TWO threads about one little movie?

Actually, we have like a million Rogue One* threads aside from this one, but they're quite old by now. So I guess this, as Rogue One is now released (I think?), should be the spoilarz thread and the others shouldn't be. I DUNNO LUL

* = At least two
2016-12-14, 10:59 AM #29
I'll merge them with this one, just for the hell of it.
2016-12-14, 11:53 AM #30
I kinda wish you didn't, Vin. I don't want that old outdated speculative stuff in here. Unless you want to merge them anyway.
2016-12-14, 11:54 AM #31
Originally posted by Vin:
For anyone who has seen it, do we actually see any familiar characters or even cameos in the film? Mon Mothma, Ackbar, Bail Organa? Or is every character someone new we haven't heard of?

The movie is out here but I've only seen a couple of trailers, but I do know Darth Vader is in the movie.
2016-12-14, 12:01 PM #32
Merging threads is evil. I think having 2 threads is worth it given that it will likely be weeks before some of us see this movie.
2016-12-14, 12:02 PM #33
Wait, Darth Vader is in it!?!?!?!? DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
2016-12-14, 1:13 PM #34
I hear that that Luke feller is Vader's son.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2016-12-14, 1:14 PM #35
WHAT.
2016-12-14, 1:37 PM #36
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
2016-12-14, 1:41 PM #37
No! That's impossible!
2016-12-14, 2:57 PM #38
Just came back from seeing it. Enjoyed it. Felt like EU-related material, basically. Somewhat straight forward, I suppose. Some cool callbacks here and there. Final battle was really well-done.
The answer is maybe.
2016-12-15, 12:32 AM #39
I'd also hope for a new Star Wars movie named BURRIE ONE, which would be the lead-in for the next installment in the saga: NIKUMUBURRIE.
2016-12-15, 1:43 AM #40
Originally posted by Admiral Zarn:
I hear that that Luke feller is Vader's son.

Who is Luke? There was no Luke in Rogue One.

And I bet if Vader found out that he had a son he'd run around and tell everybody about it.
Sorry for the lousy German

↑ Up to the top!