Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Carrie Fisher Died
Carrie Fisher Died
2016-12-27, 10:11 AM #1
Argh :(

http://komonews.com/news/entertainment/carrie-fisher-dies-at-60

I heard a radio interview with her a few weeks ago and she sounded really cool. Sounded like a rough childhood and some ****ty parents and was a little conflicted about doing the original Star Wars but eventually she decided she was happy with her decision to do it. I was happy to see her in TFA and I'm sad she's gone.
2016-12-27, 10:15 AM #2
RIP. :(
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-12-27, 10:29 AM #3
Terrible news.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-12-27, 12:24 PM #4
:(
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2016-12-27, 2:37 PM #5
Damn. :(
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2016-12-27, 3:16 PM #6
I slept in today, woke up to the news. It's really sad. She seemed super sassy, in a cool sort of way.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2016-12-27, 11:00 PM #7
It sucks that she died, especially only 60.

CGI Carrie Fisher episodes 8 and 9 then?
2016-12-28, 4:22 AM #8
Aren't they in post production for Episode VIII? So maybe all her scenes are already wrapped up. I'm actually morbidly curious how Disney will handle it.
Sorry for the lousy German
2016-12-28, 9:46 AM #9
They'll crash a moon into her.
2016-12-28, 10:33 AM #10
Originally posted by Vin:
It sucks that she died, especially only 60.

CGI Carrie Fisher episodes 8 and 9 then?

Yeah, 2016 sucks.

CGI would have advanced a good step forward if it could actually visually mimic how Carrie operated her ...... face..facial performance in VII.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2016-12-28, 10:58 AM #11
Originally posted by Impi:
Aren't they in post production for Episode VIII? So maybe all her scenes are already wrapped up. I'm actually morbidly curious how Disney will handle it.
Yeah, I heard they just finished filming for Ep.VIII
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2016-12-28, 11:13 AM #12
They already have a rough cut of EPVIII, John Williams is already recording for it. EPVIII was originally going to be released in May 2017, but was pushed back to December 2017 to avoid an over saturation of Star Wars films.

I am quite bummed out on this, I have no idea how they are going to deal with this, especially since it's leaked that she had much more important role in EPVIII that was easily going to carry over into EPIX.

There's also a rumor that Luke gets killed off in this one, so they might change the film so that we say goodbye to both Skywalkers at the same time.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2016-12-28, 5:48 PM #13
Holy crap,

her mom just died too. :(

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/debbie-reynolds-dead-singin-rain-724101
2016-12-28, 6:08 PM #14
She lost the will to live.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2016-12-28, 10:03 PM #15
No, she had a stroke (possibly the result of the stress).

Rest in peace.
2016-12-28, 10:54 PM #16
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
No, she had a stroke (possibly the result of the stress).

Rest in peace.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/cocaine/what-are-long-term-effects-cocaine-use

Quote:
Cocaine use is linked with increased risk of stroke, as well as inflammation of the heart muscle, deterioration of the ability of the heart to contract, and aortic ruptures.
2016-12-28, 11:39 PM #17
Sorry for the confusion, but I was replying to Wookie / Gold.
2016-12-29, 12:10 AM #18
No confusion, I'm just surprised nobody has noted that this is a pretty likely consequence of her cocaine abuse.
2016-12-29, 1:04 AM #19
Yes... her cocaine abuse.
2016-12-29, 7:12 AM #20
Has anybody read any of Carrie Fisher's books? I was interested in one but of course they're all sold out now on Amazon.
2016-12-29, 10:03 AM #21
Originally posted by Reid:
No confusion, I'm just surprised nobody has noted that this is a pretty likely consequence of her cocaine abuse.

I think the good Reverend was referring to Debbie Reynolds.
2016-12-29, 10:43 AM #22
Originally posted by Vin:
Has anybody read any of Carrie Fisher's books? I was interested in one but of course they're all sold out now on Amazon.

A few months ago I watched a comedy show of hers based on Wishful Drinking. I must have watched it on HBO Now which I don't currently have active. I highly recommend it and a brief search suggests it's still available there.

2016-12-29, 12:10 PM #23
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I think the good Reverend was referring to Debbie Reynolds.

Oh, then I was confused. :downswords:
2016-12-29, 2:40 PM #24
Yes but not as confused as DL Hughley who "tweeted" upon hearing about Reynold's death:
Quote:
Debbie Reynolds died a day after her daughter did! Black Mama’s don’t die cuz they kids do!They cry and say God don’t make no mistakes!

And, in Ms. Reynold's own words she had lost the will to live as she reportedly stated shortly before her death, "I miss her so much. I want to be with Carrie." I assume she said that after the stroke. This entire affair is just really sad.

2016-12-29, 3:01 PM #25
Well dang, that's depressing. I wish their families well.
2016-12-29, 3:03 PM #26
Originally posted by Wookie06:
DL Hughley

Who?
2016-12-29, 3:11 PM #27
Exactly.

2016-12-29, 3:20 PM #28
Originally posted by Reid:

Rapid weight loss can also exacerbate heart problems, so Lucas asking her to lose all that weight for the new movies probably didn't help.
2016-12-29, 4:04 PM #29
Hell, flying in airplanes can kill you. I've thought a little about this and so many aspects of her life and others are filled with risk factors. Had she not had a drug/alcohol problem, an obesity problem, depression, etc., who knows but she did. A year or so back Gold was lambasted for saying that they might have killed Solo due to his age. Well, yeah, that was kind of dumb. Maybe he should have suggested they killed him off due to Ford's propensity to crash aircraft. Unfortunately people die right in the middle of something they haven't finished. Going back to the discussion over a year ago about Ford and his age and if that is why they killed him I can't help but speculate as to whether somebody is wishing they would have sent Leia on that final mission in Ep VII.

2016-12-29, 6:22 PM #30
Quote:
Unfortunately people die right in the middle of something they haven't finished.

I, for one, am just hoping that Donald Knuth lives to 150.
2016-12-29, 6:29 PM #31
I, for one, am just hoping that Donald Knuth lives to 150.

lol.

TAOCP was meant to be a compiler theory monograph (because writing a compiler was still hard when he started). He doesn't plan to get to the actual compiler stuff until Volume 7. Much like the TeX version numbers, his actual progress suggests that, should he live forever, he will asymptotically approach Volume 5 with divergent sub-volume length.

TAOCP won't be finished until our knowledge of computation is.
2016-12-30, 7:53 AM #32
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1196521']Rapid weight loss can also exacerbate heart problems, so Lucas asking her to lose all that weight for the new movies probably didn't help.

I find this troubling because I just started taking weight loss measures a couple weeks ago, removing all foods with added sugars from my diet, and I only drink water now. I also quit smoking some weeks before that.

Originally posted by Wookie06:
Hell, flying in airplanes can kill you. I've thought a little about this and so many aspects of her life and others are filled with risk factors. Had she not had a drug/alcohol problem, an obesity problem, depression, etc., who knows but she did. A year or so back Gold was lambasted for saying that they might have killed Solo due to his age. Well, yeah, that was kind of dumb. Maybe he should have suggested they killed him off due to Ford's propensity to crash aircraft. Unfortunately people die right in the middle of something they haven't finished. Going back to the discussion over a year ago about Ford and his age and if that is why they killed him I can't help but speculate as to whether somebody is wishing they would have sent Leia on that final mission in Ep VII.

Now that I look back, I think the reason Solo got killed off probably had more to do with Ford's desire to do so and the coincidence of a unique story telling moment. It's powerful to see a son kill a father, especially when the father is a character we love and care about. The way the scene plays out, upon first viewing, almost makes you think Kylo is going to go home to his parents.
2016-12-30, 10:07 AM #33
I find this troubling because I just started taking weight loss measures a couple weeks ago, removing all foods with added sugars from my diet, and I only drink water now. I also quit smoking some weeks before that.

Congratulations! I wouldn't be concerned about health concerns due to rapid weight loss in your case. With what you've done with just minimal exercise and healthy eating should cause you to natural lose 5-20 pounds rapidly until your body adjusts to the new routine. Unfortunately this leads to a false expectation as further weight loss is generally much slower and more challenging.

2016-12-30, 10:47 AM #34
The way the scene plays out, upon first viewing, almost makes you think Kylo is going to go home to his parents.

Upon first viewing, the way the scene plays out (mirroring the death of Ben Kenobi in Star Wars with respect to their relative ages, the physical position of the characters in the scene as well as the scene itself, and probably the minutes mark in the script) almost makes you think you've seen the movie before.
2016-12-30, 12:14 PM #35
Upon first viewing, the way the scene plays out (mirroring the death of Ben Kenobi in Star Wars with respect to their relative ages, the physical position of the characters in the scene as well as the scene itself, and probably the minutes mark in the script) almost makes you think you've seen the movie before.

Yes, both scene share some similarities, but I believe you're exaggerating. There are some important differences:

Obi-Wan isn't trying to redeem Vader, or even win. He's only trying to buy time. / Han Solo is trying to redeem his son.

Vader isn't conflicted about killing Obi-Wan / Kylo is conflicted about killing his father, follows through with it anyways. He instantly regrets it, but buries himself in hatred and pain (Chewbacca's shot) to avoid feeling guilt.
2016-12-30, 12:29 PM #36
I wasn't trying to exaggerate anything, but merely to possibly explain why my brain saw where things were headed from a parsec away, rendering Kylo's ruse entirely moot.
2016-12-30, 12:33 PM #37
I might simply be more jaded, but whereas you seem to be reasoning that "thing X should happen because Y", I can't be bothered to venture past "hmm I wonder why they wrote that bit into the script".
2016-12-30, 12:33 PM #38
I figured out Kylo wasn't gonna have a Heel Face Turn because the snow forest scenes (as seen in the trailers) hadn't taken place yet.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2016-12-30, 12:37 PM #39
Quote:
I might simply be more jaded, but whereas you seem to be reasoning that "thing X should happen because Y", I can't be bothered to venture past "hmm I wonder why they wrote that bit into the script".

Which maybe isn't fair since I had already known that Harrison Ford had long since expressed a desire to kill off Han Solo.

Oh, and now that I think about it, I also remember walking past a little kid on his way out of the previous screening, who said, "I didn't think he was really going to die!"
2016-12-30, 12:41 PM #40
Speaking of spoilers, Gold, how could anything at all in the movie been unexpected to you, since IIRC you read the entire story on a Mexican leak site?

↑ Up to the top!