Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Is Rey a Skywalker?
Is Rey a Skywalker?
2017-01-05, 8:05 AM #1
I'm currently working on a huge post that sums up all of my current feelings regarding Rogue One, The Force Awakens, and the Original Trilogy (despecialized), but in the mean time, I've got to ask:

Do you think Rey is a Skywalker? I'll wait til I get some responses to the poll before posting my thoughts...
2017-01-05, 8:08 AM #2
I just realized two of my poll responses are redundant, but I forgot how to edit it.
2017-01-05, 8:09 AM #3
And I forgot my password to edit it in the Admin Panel. I give up. I'm drunk. Just answer whatever.
2017-01-05, 8:13 AM #4
No. Abandoning Rey on a backwater planet for decades by a Skywalker would only be an example of sh**ty writ---

Actually, yes.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-01-05, 8:28 AM #5
Please, please no.

But probably yes?
2017-01-05, 8:43 AM #6
Almost necessarily. Star Wars is the Skywalker story. Literally any other relationship would be uninteresting or even confusing to the majority of film viewers. All of her musical themes, visual design, and plot points are reminiscent of Luke's. I think it's pretty clear where the story is going, and I think it's wanting to suggest anything but the inevitable.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2017-01-05, 8:54 AM #7
I think Ben would be the Skywalker in this case. Maybe he's her future love-interest/redemption.
Sorry for the lousy German
2017-01-05, 9:05 AM #8
That's an interesting and plausible theory.

I think that it fits the writers of The Force Awakens' [unnecessarily] token feminist slant too, having the legacy carried on through Leia instead of the favored Son. I'm normally a sucker for female empowerment--and I have to recognize that if you watch your average male action hero it's campy as ****--I still find the new films to be patronizing to anyone who considers themselves legitimately passionate about gender issues.

I still don't see them having the main characters in a Star Wars film not have the last name Skywalker.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2017-01-05, 9:20 AM #9
I think she is TBD.
2017-01-05, 9:48 AM #10
Originally posted by JediKirby:
The Force Awakens' [unnecessarily] token feminist slant

Mind elaborating on this? She kicks some butt in the movie and everything sort of ends up working for her, but I don't see that as particularly feminist any more than I would see the same sort of male hero as a meninist commentary.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-01-05, 10:07 AM #11
That's an interesting and plausible theory.

I think that it fits the writers of The Force Awakens' [unnecessarily] token feminist slant too, having the legacy carried on through Leia instead of the favored Son. I'm normally a sucker for female empowerment--and I have to recognize that if you watch your average male action hero it's campy as ****--I still find the new films to be patronizing to anyone who considers themselves legitimately passionate about gender issues.

I still don't see them having the main characters in a Star Wars film not have the last name Skywalker.

Maybe she becomes a Skywalker via marriage.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2017-01-05, 10:34 AM #12
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Mind elaborating on this? She kicks some butt in the movie and everything sort of ends up working for her, but I don't see that as particularly feminist any more than I would see the same sort of male hero as a meninist commentary.

Recognize I consider myself a feminist. I just think the time when she looks like she needs saving and then she saves herself, or how they literally directly portray Finn as the incapable damsel. I would rather we had role reversals than more of the same, but above all I'd like to just have well written characters that don't rely on gender constructs to create tension. The only time Rey feels like a real female character is when she has funny interactions with Finn. Every other scene is fabricated female hero worship and "I don't need no man." Her forced relationship with Leia is just so the movie passes the bechdel test.

I don't even feel that strongly about it, it's just something that kind of annoys me about her and Jyn. They feel like male writers responding to criticisms about not writing good female characters. It's clinical, sterile, and obvious.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
I think she is TBD.

This is probably accurate.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2017-01-05, 10:35 AM #13
I still find the new films to be patronizing to anyone who considers themselves legitimately passionate about gender issues.

What? How?
2017-01-05, 10:42 AM #14
I only saw TFA once, but if I recall, Rey cries out in this over-exaggerated way, Finn runs to try to help her, and then suddenly she goes ape****. It felt like such an obvious statement the film was making early on in their relationship. I'd also argue, simply from a cinematography perspective, Finn was feminized and positioned as Rey's inferior. These are criticisms of traditional masculine filmmaking, and instead of not using those tropes they leveraged them in the exact opposite way.

Edit: I want to be clear, I went into TFA wanting to see a starwars movie, but this rather left leaning feminist came out of it feeling like I watched a bit of a liberal propaganda film.

Edit: I also want to differentiate what I am saying from the "Mary Sue" arguments. I didn't like that about Luke either, but that's a weakness almost every single fantasy story has. I don't mind that she kicks Ren's ass, or can suddenly use the force any more than child-me didn't buy Luke's rise to power. My issue is more with her lack of any real substance and the forced almost hammy "Hey, feminists!" scenes. In a secondary way her personality was just lacking. I didn't like that about Luke though, either. In both cases, I think it's about selling more.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2017-01-05, 12:42 PM #15
Luke wasn't a Mary Sue. He wasn't a perfect character with a minor flaw that made him more perfect; he was a deeply flawed character, an immature, whiny, irreverent glory-seeker who only grew as a character after those flaws led him and his friends to tragedy. And when he understood that those traits were what made his father both the hero Obi-Wan described, and also the villain Obi-Wan described, and how he was unwittingly setting down the same path.

God, ESB was such a great movie.

Rey actually is a Mary Sue, tho.
2017-01-05, 12:52 PM #16
I think Rey will be a Sith science experiment to reify someone's force ghost. Luke Skywalker was sent by the Republic to find and kill her, but she was just a little kid and he couldn't bring himself to do it. So he ditched her on some backwater planet and left in disgust.
2017-01-05, 1:28 PM #17
(x) I'm Jepman
2017-01-05, 2:01 PM #18
I only saw TFA once, but if I recall, Rey cries out in this over-exaggerated way, Finn runs to try to help her, and then suddenly she goes ape****. It felt like such an obvious statement the film was making early on in their relationship. I'd also argue, simply from a cinematography perspective, Finn was feminized and positioned as Rey's inferior. These are criticisms of traditional masculine filmmaking, and instead of not using those tropes they leveraged them in the exact opposite way.

Edit: I want to be clear, I went into TFA wanting to see a starwars movie, but this rather left leaning feminist came out of it feeling like I watched a bit of a liberal propaganda film.

Edit: I also want to differentiate what I am saying from the "Mary Sue" arguments. I didn't like that about Luke either, but that's a weakness almost every single fantasy story has. I don't mind that she kicks Ren's ass, or can suddenly use the force any more than child-me didn't buy Luke's rise to power. My issue is more with her lack of any real substance and the forced almost hammy "Hey, feminists!" scenes. In a secondary way her personality was just lacking. I didn't like that about Luke though, either. In both cases, I think it's about selling more.

First I want to say that, JediKirby, I honestly thought for some reason that you were dead and I'm glad to see you're alive and kicking. Well, as much as you can kick, anyway, with those cute little legs.

Second of all, maybe it's because I don't watch every movie and show looking for "girl power", but I didn't see very much of a feminist slant in TFA. Yeah, Rey is a a female character and she is very strong, but she also kinda likes a boy, but I honestly don't see much of a statement, if any, in that.
2017-01-05, 2:02 PM #19
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1196793'](x) I'm Jepman

For some reason this made me genuinely LOL.
2017-01-05, 2:07 PM #20
My thoughts on Rey:

I feel like making Rey a Skywalker would be super obvious. At this point in the new trilogy, that wouldn't surprise me. But I feel like it would be too easy, and I'm hoping for some bit of a twist. One clue is that when she meets Solo, she says that she thought Luke Skywalker was a myth. I feel that if she was a Skywalker herself, she would have some sense of parentage that would validate that myth...

Maybe she's the daughter of Obi-Wan and that six-boobied chick at Jabba's palace?
2017-01-05, 2:35 PM #21
Originally posted by Vin:
First I want to say that, JediKirby, I honestly thought for some reason that you were dead

[http://i.imgur.com/WdQnjat.jpg]
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2017-01-06, 1:32 AM #22

Hollywood is incapable of writing a decent female character, so don't sweat it too much.
2017-01-06, 7:41 AM #23
the film hints too heavily at her being a skywalker

the saber, anakin's, then luke's, then it calls to rey

the interrogation scene where kylo ben mentions her dreaming of an ocean and an island... it's as if the force is guiding her to luke in her dreams

there is also a theory that she is luke's daughter but luke didn't know about her... perhaps er mother left her on jakku with the intention of it being short term but ran afoul of the first order, knights of ren, space pirates, who knows... dead, prisoner, just out buying a pack of death sticks...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2017-01-06, 8:56 AM #24
**** star waaaaaaaaaars

Also guys we have to admit, there would never be a Kyle Katarn movie. If there was, they'd call him Kell Katarn or Kyvin Katarn or something. Having a character named "Luke" is as close to IRL names as they're gonna get, *especially* after the prequels and post-prequel EU naming conventions have become so entrenched w/ your SAVAGE OPPRESSes and whatnot.
2017-01-06, 9:25 AM #25
Even if they did make a movie with Kyle Katarn, I for one wouldn't be happy unless they used the actor from the JK cutscenes.
2017-01-06, 9:54 AM #26
He's pretty old now.
2017-01-06, 9:58 AM #27
He's pretty old now.

CGI like with Leia.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-01-06, 10:38 AM #28
I didn't like Rey because she was by default flawless, everything she did she did better than everyone else (mechanic, pilot, swordswoman). It made her both boring and unbelievable. They explain why she's a good mechanic, she grew up scavenging parts so she'd have to know what's what which is fine, but why is she such a good pilot when she's never left that planet? Why is she so good with a lightsaber? Why does she understand how to use the force with zero training/guidance?

I thought Jyn was much better because she was just a normal person with normal abilities. She didn't just have mad skills without any reason for having them.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2017-01-06, 11:40 AM #29
Rey was flawless Jedi with inexplicable skill.
Poe was flawless rebel pilot with inexplicable luck.
Finn was flawless turncoat with inexplicable inner conflict.
BB-8 was flawless robot with inexplicable charisma.

IMO you're making a mistake if you're asking these questions instead of treating it as Disney throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks.
2017-01-06, 12:10 PM #30
IMO you're making a mistake if you're asking these questions instead of treating it as Disney throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks.
So much this. As for the poll question in the OP; I agree it's too obvious, too easy, but she almost has to be a Skywalker. I'd like to be cleverly fooled, but only cleverly. Which is probably asking for too much.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2017-01-06, 3:11 PM #31
Remember how Anakin never had a father?

Notice how Rey has God-like abilities, and a mysterious origin?

Notice how Ray takes on the traditional role of the male hero, with Finn being the damsel in distress?

I would be very surprised if, in episode 9, we don't learn that Rey is in fact a transexual temporal anomaly who sticks her dick in a wrinkle in the space-time continuum to impregnate Shimi, thereby creating herself (assuming she is Luke's daughter, making Luke the father of this techno-feminist Jesus, I.e., God, which also makes since when you think where the name Luke came from).

GL made Star Wars to cope with his bad relationship with his father. Rey impregnated her own great grandmother to explain Lucas' bad relationship with linear timelines.

So yes, I think Rey is not only a Skywalker, but also the topological reason any Skywalkers exist in the first place.
2017-01-06, 3:15 PM #32
(And Leia was the mother. This is the kind of shenanigans that inevitably result when you mix supernatural energy with incest.)
2017-01-06, 3:16 PM #33
Oh my Q, TNG was such a good show (better than any Black Mirror episode).
2017-01-24, 12:39 PM #34
Mary Sue Rey is no Skywalker

↑ Up to the top!