Page 301 of 380 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301302303311351 ... LastLast
Results 12,001 to 12,040 of 15173

Thread: Inauguration Day, Inauguration Hooooooraaay!

  1. #12001
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    boy isn’t it weird how many thieves/lottery winners become total garbage when they have more than two cents to rub together

  2. #12002
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    For those who don’t remember:

    Palmer Luckey is the supergenius entrepreneur superman who invented the Oculus Rift headset all by himself and sold his idea to Facebook for billions of dollars.

    And by that I mean

    Palmer Luckey was hired and by a small company to design optics for a VR headset they were working on. Instead of fulfilling his contract, he stole the company’s IP and withheld his own optics design to make a Kickstarter for a VR headset for himself.

    Then he used the Kickstarter’s success to gain an introduction to Valve. Valve had been working on VR too, and were interested in sharing their technology. Palmer asked Valve for a prototype of the Vive which he could take back to his own office. They agreed.

    Then Palmer showed Mark Zuckerberg the Vive prototype, misrepresenting it as his own headset in order to secure a sale to Facebook. At the time Oculus had no head or controller tracking technology. Zuckerberg was fooled and agreed to buy Oculus.

    Around this same time, Palmer stole a bunch of source code from Zenimax. This includes the source code that corrects the distortion and chromatic aberration from the optics, predicts movement so you don’t become violently ill, and interpolates across dropped frames so you can use the Rift with a feasible computer. Basically without this stolen code, the Rift is a fancy monitor.

    Basically Palmer Luckey didn’t do ****. He’s a con artist and a fraud in the worst sense. Adding white supremacist to that list isn’t a major change.

  3. #12003
    Prefered by 80% of Doctors
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Yeah, I'm in agreement with you about that one. The Saudis have been accused of war crimes in Yemen for years now, but one journalist and it's front page news?
    But nobody's died in the last 2 years. It's the most ethical war ever!
    https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...e-13129017.php

  4. #12004
    Thought he was onto something.
    Posts
    1,344
    Name:  DoCJ6eVV4AA8VEc.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  107.7 KB

    - Source: Seth Abramson
    (his edit: "Black Sea, Kara Sea, Arctic Ocean, and elsewhere, but not the North Sea.")
    Last edited by Tenshu; 10-15-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    enshu

  5. #12005
    Wow. Conservatives had it completely wrong as usual. DNA testing proves Elizabeth Warren's Native American lineage. Supposedly the genetic segments place her ancestor six to ten generations ago. Hopefully now we can moveon.org.
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16


  6. #12006
    oh yeahhhh well my dna says that i had a 100$ native ancestor 4 generations ago and I was inducted into a native tribe along with jordan peterson
    sniff

  7. #12007
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    Jordan Peterson must be pandering pretty hard to his US audience if he's publicly claiming to have native ancestry, because he sure ain't pandering to his Canadian one.

  8. #12008
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    Aboriginal Canadians ~= African Americans so given his *ahem* usual readership....

  9. #12009
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    Oh for ****'s sake, it's some "I'm friends with an ethnic" thing.

  10. #12010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie06 View Post
    . Supposedly the genetic segments place her ancestor six to ten generations ago.
    She's a white person guilty of genetic appropriation.

    In all seriousness though, now that you mention it was conservatives who started this, what seemed to me such a silly announcement makes a lot more sense.

  11. #12011
    Or maybe she started it by bragging about her ancestry for political points. Which is itself a very silly thing...

  12. #12012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Jordan Peterson must be pandering pretty hard to his US audience if he's publicly claiming to have native ancestry, because he sure ain't pandering to his Canadian one.
    ya no he was made an honorary native rumor has it
    sniff

  13. #12013
    i bet his vision quest was cleaning his room
    sniff

  14. #12014
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    ya no he was made an honorary native rumor has it
    In Alberta an "honorary native" is anybody so bored, poor, and persecuted that they drink a quart of vanilla extract because they have literally nothing else to do.

  15. #12015
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    Canada is still an apartheid state. We keep our aboriginals in fenced-in areas. Technically there's nothing stopping them from leaving, but it's not like they can get jobs so their options for living outside the fence are slim. Most of this is because most Canadians are tremendously, conspicuously racist against natives. Especially the plains natives and others who don't make cutesy artwork that we can appropriate and sell to tourists visiting the west coast.

    So this "I'm not racist, I'm an honorary [cutesy west coast] native" is pandering to a very particular audience that doesn't exist in his own country.

  16. #12016
    thanks
    sniff

  17. #12017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    In Alberta an "honorary native" is anybody so bored, poor, and persecuted that they drink a quart of vanilla extract because they have literally nothing else to do.
    However, it is important to note that vanilla extract is not necessarily beaver butt juice.
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16


  18. #12018
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,767
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z...rce=reddit.com

    We really are in a "let them eat cake" era. The blades get duller and rustier.

  19. #12019
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,767
    Get it? Because then the beheadings will be more painful and slow.

  20. #12020
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,767
    What do they call it when you **** people over and blame your political opponents for doing it? It's gotta have a name.

  21. #12021
    White?
    sniff

  22. #12022
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    What do they call it when you **** people over and blame your political opponents for doing it? It's gotta have a name.
    I dunno but it sounds like a Jewish conspiracy.

  23. #12023
    That's just how white people will do you.
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16


  24. #12024
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,767
    So my dad unironically thinks "millennial food" turns people homo or something. Makes me think of this:



    Goddamn Mexican avocados turning millennials gay.

  25. #12025
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    God damn millennials roasting their fresh Brussels sprouts instead of boiling the **** out of frozen ones, like a bunch of homos

  26. #12026
    Time to start complaining about Gen Z. By most metrics they’re much more ****ed up than we (millenials) are.

  27. #12027
    Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Posts
    11,950
    oh yeah, i can't wait to just perpetuate that bull**** cycle

  28. #12028
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    They’re like us only more politically engaged. Good for them. Maybe we’ll still be passive oafs when we get old and they can vote in socialism.

  29. #12029
    Thought he was onto something.
    Posts
    1,344
    Whenever someone uses the word 'millenial', I immediately become keenly interested in their great insights in psychology and the human condition.

  30. #12030
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    Millennials are ruining articles about the consumption habits of millennials

  31. #12031
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,767
    Millennials are ruining country clubs, golf courses, expensive entrees, and luxury watches.

  32. #12032
    The percentage of Democrats who say they are moderate has fallen from 44 to 35; the percentage of self-identified conservative Democrats has gone from 25 to 13 percent.

    Well-educated whites, especially white women, are pushing the party decisively leftward. According to Gallup, the share of white Democrats calling themselves liberal on social issues has grown since 2001 from 39 to 61 percent. Because of this growth, white liberals are now roughly 40 percent of all Democratic voters.

    While a substantial percentage of Democratic minorities identify as liberals, those percentages have not been growing at anywhere near the rate that they have for white Democrats, so blacks and Hispanics have not contributed significantly to the rising percentage of self-identified Democratic liberals. Over the past 17 years, for example, the percentage of black Democrats who identify themselves as liberals grew by a modest three percentage points, according to both Gallup and the Pew Research Center.

    In fact, white liberals are well to the left of the black electorate on some racial issues.

    Take the issue of discrimination as a factor holding back African-American advancement. White liberals are to the left of black Democrats, placing a much stronger emphasis than African-Americans on the role of discrimination and much less emphasis on the importance of individual effort.

    Among white liberals, according to Pew survey data collected in 2017, 79.2 percent agreed that “racial discrimination is the main reason why many black people can’t get ahead these days.” 18.8 percent agreed that “blacks who can’t get ahead in this country are mostly responsible for their own condition,” a 60.4 point difference, according to a detailed analysis of the Pew data provided the Times by Zach Goldberg, a doctoral candidate in political science at Georgia State University.

    Among blacks, 59.9 percent identified discrimination as the main deterrent to upward mobility for African-Americans, and 32.0 percent said blacks were responsible for their condition — in other words, blacks are more conservative than white liberals on this issue.

    White liberals view questions of racial inequality more uniformly than blacks do. A survey asked: Which statement comes closer to your own views even if neither is exactly right?

    The dominant role of well-educated, relatively upscale white Democrats in moving the party to the left reflects the declining role of the working class in shaping the party’s ideology.
    Well-educated whites are driving the party to the left, often because they have views about racial justice that are more radical than people who belong to those groups themselves.

    What if conservatives actually have a point, and one reason why this push to the left is occurring has less to do with the fact that these well-educated people are educated, and more to do with the fact that they have been acculturated into the political atmosphere that currently dominate American universities?

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/18/o...nion&smtyp=cur

  33. #12033
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    Stopped clock

  34. #12034
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    Anti-Jewish persecution under medieval Christianity gave Jewish populations in Europe a durable advantage in finance, which eventually extended to them having significant influence over business and warfare (the latter since warfare was generally funded through private debt). So maybe the Nazis “had a point” too but that would be a pretty ****ing dumb thing to say.

    Or I dunno. Maybe the push toward liberalism among well educated people has a lot more to do with the business interests of their employers and their cosmopolitan coworkers. Uneducated people tend to support coal subsidies. Is that because uneducated people like coal, or is it because coal workers tend to be uneducated??

  35. #12035
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Anti-Jewish persecution under medieval Christianity gave Jewish populations in Europe a durable advantage in finance, which eventually extended to them having significant influence over business and warfare (the latter since warfare was generally funded through private debt). So maybe the Nazis “had a point” too but that would be a pretty ****ing dumb thing to say.
    Woah, talk about a reductio ad Hitlerum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Or I dunno. Maybe the push toward liberalism among well educated people has a lot more to do with the business interests of their employers and their cosmopolitan coworkers. Uneducated people tend to support coal subsidies. Is that because uneducated people like coal, or is it because coal workers tend to be uneducated??
    I suppose it's possible there's some kind of ideology/superstructure at work, and that upper middle class liberals are unwittingly pursuing the interests of the capitalist class because certain desires and mores have been inculcated in them through capitalist-run media. But, like, doy?

  36. #12036
    Of course my theory would be that well-to-do ("white") liberals becoming more politically extreme in their views is a consequence of Democratic and Republican voters alike becoming more extreme, in the face of the convenient gridlock that business interests have created by depriving every American ("left"-leaning Democrats included) of a sensible vocabulary to talk about economic issues on a fundamental, political level (i.e., that "socialism shaped hole" hole in our heads, plus the tyranny of the two-party system that makes all political discourse deliberately stupid).

    If nothing that matters is on the table for discussion, of course you're going to be more extreme on the few (i.e., social) issues that are on the table. And the crowds loved it!

  37. #12037
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    I suppose it's possible there's some kind of ideology/superstructure at work, and that upper middle class liberals are unwittingly pursuing the interests of the capitalist class because certain desires and mores have been inculcated in them through capitalist-run media. But, like, doy?
    Gay, well-to-do, educated professionals in the coastal cities want to marry their girlfriends, smoke pot, and go backpacking in the national parks, and advance their own careers to management. And, I guess, say the right things about other things such as social justice, which liberals pay lip service to in polite conversation at the dinner table, and pretend to be coherent in doing so, even while clinging to their selfish, implicitly center-right economic views.

  38. #12038
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Gay, well-to-do, educated professionals in the coastal cities want to marry their girlfriends, smoke pot, and go backpacking in the national parks, and advance their own careers to management. And, I guess, say the right things about other things such as social justice, which liberals pay lip service to in polite conversation at the dinner table, and pretend to be coherent in doing so, even while clinging to their selfish, implicitly center-right economic views.
    And their serial killing ways!


  39. #12039
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    Woah, talk about a reductio ad Hitlerum.



    I suppose it's possible there's some kind of ideology/superstructure at work, and that upper middle class liberals are unwittingly pursuing the interests of the capitalist class because certain desires and mores have been inculcated in them through capitalist-run media. But, like, doy?
    Since this apparently wasn’t obvious enough to you, I’ll make it so.

    Of course conservatives have a point. They almost always do, and a lot of the time I’d even go along with what they’re saying. The problem is what they believe and what they do isn’t the same thing as the point they’re making.

    Do they have a point about universities indoctrinating their students into American “liberalism”? Sure. But they don’t care about the fact that universities are intolerant to other ideas, they specifically care about their own (I.e. universities should indoctrinate students into being ****heads instead).

    Do they have a point about the racialization of finance in 19th century Europe? Ya sure did, but they didn’t actually care about that, they only cared about busting heads and raping Belgian nuns.

    “Do conservatives have a point” is the closest thing you can get to a universal non sequitur.

  40. #12040
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    What if conservatives actually have a point, and one reason why this push to the left is occurring has less to do with the fact that these well-educated people are educated, and more to do with the fact that they have been acculturated into the political atmosphere that currently dominate American universities?
    I feel like you say stuff like this more because you want to believe in conservatives, rather than really believing the thought. That legitimating their views will make the world seem okay to you, or something.
    Last edited by Reid; 10-19-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •