Page 4 of 348 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 160 of 13919

Thread: Inauguration Day, Inauguration Hooooooraaay!

  1. #121
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie06 View Post
    I think Congress is going to need something more tangible than an excuse to risk pitchforks.
    Yeah... the thing about electing a President McPresidentface? Nobody's gonna miss him.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie06 View Post
    They hardly hated Clinton. He's just a scumbag that obstructed justice in a heinous manner.
    Yeah! Anyone who's known for shameless sexual impropriety and lying is a scumbag, and shouldn't be our president!
    Last edited by Eversor; 01-23-2017 at 11:14 AM.

  3. #123
    There seemed to be a real threat at the convention if it would have gone down the way it should have (contested). I think you misunderestimate his popularity. And, he's surrounded himself with GOP establishment and RINO types. I guess that could end up like Caesar's assassination. We'll see.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    Yeah! Anyone who's known for shameless sexual impropriety and lying is a scumbag, and shouldn't be our president!
    I'm no special pleader for Trump.

  5. #125
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie06 View Post
    There seemed to be a real threat at the convention if it would have gone down the way it should have (contested). I think you misunderestimate his popularity. And, he's surrounded himself with GOP establishment and RINO types. I guess that could end up like Caesar's assassination. We'll see.
    How do you not "mis-" underestimate something? Is that a reference I've forgotten?

    Trump's not well-liked, he's a crisis of democracy. Most people voted for Trump because they thought the vote was rigged, not because he's the best candidate. The reason you'd have outrage if Trump won the primary but got booted is because it'd have proven him right. That doesn't necessarily extend to today; Trump won, the voters were heard. The voters just made a mistake of voting for someone they don't think should have won.

    Trump's approval rating is already worse than GWB's was at his low point. They could literally impeach him for any reason, nobody would give a ****.

  6. #126
    It's a Bushism.

    If he had been prevented from reaching 1237 he wouldn't have been the actual winner despite this notion that he would have been the winner because he had the most. Doesn't matter because Cruz dropped out and didn't try to force it in the end, probably because of the pitchfork think. Trump got the 1237 and won.

  7. #127
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie06 View Post
    It's a Bushism.

    If he had been prevented from reaching 1237 he wouldn't have been the actual winner despite this notion that he would have been the winner because he had the most. Doesn't matter because Cruz dropped out and didn't try to force it in the end, probably because of the pitchfork think. Trump got the 1237 and won.
    Oh yeah, I'm agreeing with you. There definitely would have been pitchforks had the GOP "stolen" the primary. There is (was?) a real loss of faith in democracy among the public. The reason Trump spent the primary and general talking about how it was rigged against him wasn't to salvage his ego, it was playing on those anxieties. People voted for him because he was the candidate that would "never win", that they "weren't supposed to vote for", and if they stole the election the GOP would have been proving him right all along.

  8. #128
    Administrator
    Posts
    7,383
    Most people voted for Trump because they thought the vote was rigged, not because he's the best candidate.
    I think this was the reason the democrats lost. They kept trying to get everyone to focus on the idea that Clinton was somehow a better candidate and they mostly stopped talking about all the issues. And when they did talk about any issues she just came out with "zinger" after "zinger" instead of talking seriously about anything. And if she ever did talk seriously about anything it was only to defend herself against things that Trump said. Trump said over and over what he thinks he's going to do -- build a wall, cancel trade agreements, repeal obamacare, etc. The only thing we got out of Clinton was that she was going to finally break the glass ceiling or whatever. Which I don't think most people would mind, just not by her.

    Also, to be clear, is the system not rigged when one candidate gets debate questions prior to the debate and the other one doesn't? And let's be honest, the whole system is rigged when all you have to do is spend money and you can get elected. I'm not comfortable with anyone claiming the system isn't rigged.

  9. #129

    "Has it won yet?"

    Posts
    17,048
    The only thing we got out of Clinton was that she was going to finally break the glass ceiling or whatever. Which I don't think most people would mind, just not by her.
    I'll always remember her motto being awful. "I'm with Her" sounds like a call for subordination. At least "Make America Great Again" sounds like some hope.
    SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
    -----------------------------@%

  10. #130
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I think this was the reason the democrats lost. They kept trying to get everyone to focus on the idea that Clinton was somehow a better candidate and they mostly stopped talking about all the issues. And when they did talk about any issues she just came out with "zinger" after "zinger" instead of talking seriously about anything. And if she ever did talk seriously about anything it was only to defend herself against things that Trump said. Trump said over and over what he thinks he's going to do -- build a wall, cancel trade agreements, repeal obamacare, etc. The only thing we got out of Clinton was that she was going to finally break the glass ceiling or whatever. Which I don't think most people would mind, just not by her.

    Also, to be clear, is the system not rigged when one candidate gets debate questions prior to the debate and the other one doesn't? And let's be honest, the whole system is rigged when all you have to do is spend money and you can get elected. I'm not comfortable with anyone claiming the system isn't rigged.
    It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'system' system. The [presidential] vote isn't rigged, at least beyond the shady AF two party thing (edit: clarified this point, the congressional vote is absolutely and most certainly rigged). Debates and promotion are private and not technically part of 'the' system, but even if you consider them to be, debate performance and PR spend don't translate into improved outcomes past a surprisingly low bar.

    I'd agree though that Clinton's non-platform really wasn't helping. Neither was the general attitude/assumption that her victory was a lock.

  11. #131
    Human Computer
    Posts
    2,825
    I don't think that Trump, who isn't/wasn't well-liked, would've won had the Democrats not nominated a candidate that isn't/wasn't well-liked. Trump deserves credit for winning against one of the most unpopular Democratic nominees in history though. If Democrats, Independents, & some number of Republicans had actually thought that Trump could actually win, I think it's reasonable to assume that more of them would've voted for Clinton. I also don't think that "hold your nose & vote for me because I'm slightly less stinky than the other candidate" just wasn't a very strong message & that's precisely the one that many Americans received. I think that Trump is receiving far too much credit for winning the Turd Olympics.
    Last edited by Mentat; 01-23-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    ? :)

  12. #132
    Here's a fun page to keep an eye on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...3765_and_above

    You probably saw that he withdrew from TPP, but there's also this:

    13767 Barring international non-governmental organizations that perform or promote abortions from receiving US government funding.

  13. #133

  14. #134
    Administrator
    Posts
    7,383
    omg is it Kim Jong Trump?

  15. #135
    Not sure about that, but have you noticed that despots tend to possess ample quantities of abdominal fat? (Stalin, Hussein, that one Korean guy, etc.)

    I guess you'll know for sure when he starts wearing a tight belt and lets it hang over his pants.
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 01-23-2017 at 03:38 PM.

  16. #136
    There's also that "national day of patriotism" thing that Spicer announced on Twitter.

    TBQH, it sounds to me like something was lost in translation when converting from "Asian-Despotese" to English. Did he forget to make the holiday about something?

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Not sure about that, but have you noticed that despots tend to possess ample quantities of abdominal fat? (Stalin, Hussain, that one Korean guy, etc.)

    I guess you'll know for sure when he starts wearing a tight belt and lets it hang over his pants.


    Hunky president.

  18. #138
    Administrator
    Posts
    7,383
    This thread did not need pics.

  19. #139
    It's my thread, I can do what I want with it.

    You're fired!

  20. #140
    I'm highly skeptical of that report but I do think if that's an actual picture of Trump he has really done a good job at losing weight presumably without the surgery and suffering that Christie must have gone through.
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16


  21. #141
    Of course, let's not set the bar too high for Trump's physique. After all, he's even slimmer than those Aryan Übermensch (NSFW) who were heiling him back in November.

  22. #142
    Can't there be one. damn. thing. where "the bar" for Donald Trump isn't set significantly lower for him than anyone else?

  23. #143
    James Cameron 2020?

  24. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    Can't there be one. damn. thing. where "the bar" for Donald Trump isn't set significantly lower for him than anyone else?
    It's not kind to talk down to the mentally handicapped. From each according to his ability, to each according to his (special) needs.

    Did you hear Kellyanne Conway tell the press that there are "alternative facts"? Maybe to go with the "alt reality" of the Alt Right, where the 4chan users supporting him aren't actually even more obese compared to their dear leader?

  25. #145
    Seriously, though, I don't know how old that picture was but he's seventy now and looks to be in far better shape. That's a good accomplishment for anyone. Besides, I don't think it was until GWB and Basset Hound Orphans that presidents were ever actually notable for being fit.
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16


  26. #146

  27. #147
    I was thinking about that one too!
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16


  28. #148
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,415
    Hey, is this the US politics thread? Okay, US politics thread, here's something fun:

    http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...123-story.html

    While the Department of Justice was conducting its investigation of the merger plans but before the DOJ lawsuit was filed, “Aetna tried to leverage its participation in the exchanges for favorable treatment from DOJ regarding the proposed merger,” Bates observed. During a May 11 deposition of Bertolini, an Aetna lawyer said that if the company “was not ‘happy’ with the results of an upcoming meeting regarding the merger, ‘we’re just going to pull out of all the exchanges.’”

    Bates found “persuasive evidence that when Aetna later withdrew from the 17 counties, it did not do so for business reasons, but instead to follow through on the threat that it made earlier.”

    The threat certainly was effective in terms of its impact on the Affordable Care Act, since Aetna’s withdrawal has become part of the Republican brief against the law. That it says so much more about Aetna executives’ honesty and integrity probably won’t get cited much by GOP functionaries trying to repeal the law.

  29. #149
    Child's Play CharitySon of Krokodile XVI
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie06 View Post
    Basset Hound Orphans
    That's just kind of inane in my opinion.
    Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

  30. #150
    I always thought so too.
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16


  31. #151
    I don't get it. Is that supposed to be an alternate expansion of BHO? Google turns up nothing, so if you "always thought so", is it because you made it up?

    Edit: wait... Reddit confirms this is a Massassi thing?? Oy vey.
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 01-23-2017 at 06:55 PM.

  32. #152
    Child's Play CharityGoY's Pessimistic Soy Boy Toy
    Posts
    17,363

  33. #153
    Administrator
    Posts
    7,383
    Reddit confirms? Wtf?

  34. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Reddit confirms? Wtf?
    Just Google the phrase in quotes--two results are on massassi.net, and another is a Reddit post talking about an "internet forum", exposing the dastardly practice. We're famous.

  35. #155
    I've had enough fun. For those that don't know or remember, but definitely not don't care, Basset Hound Orphans was a swear filter addition to Massassi because it was determined that the only possible motivation I had to use the president's, oops, I mean former president's initials was to point out that his middle name was Hussein. This did have some funny unintended consequences like "abhor" would be corrected to "abasset hound orpansr". Memories.
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16


  36. #156
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,187
    Whelp, now he's signed an executive order to stop all federal hiring (except for the military, of course).

  37. #157
    Administrator
    Posts
    7,383
    Publicity stunt.

  38. #158
    Who is the guy in the bottom right of that picture?

  39. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Publicity stunt.
    Maybe, but I would also put forth the theory that he's going to try to minimize the number of people hired under the auspices of bureaucrats leftover from the last administration, pre-purge.

  40. #160
    Zulenglashernbracker
    Posts
    5,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Whelp, now he's signed an executive order to stop all federal hiring (except for the military, of course).
    As someone whose line of work principally happens at universities and national labs, I am Not A Fan of this.
    I had a blog. It sucked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •