Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsShowcase → Rusted piece of...junk
Rusted piece of...junk
2017-01-26, 9:05 PM #1

2017-01-27, 11:10 AM #2
Friend14? I was watching a video talking about SWG and a shot of Tatooine reminded me heavily of Friend's giant beta Tatooine level where he shut off half of the map's vertices when you weren't looking at it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2017-01-27, 11:47 AM #3
OMG is that JK?

Originally posted by JediKirby:
...he shut off half of the map's vertices when you weren't looking at it.

I think that was the level that I originally wrote the RVTCS cog for - so the whole thing was made entirely out of 3d0s and they were created/destroyed based on distance from the player.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2017-01-27, 1:46 PM #4
SotD. Or maybe SotY.
2017-01-27, 3:17 PM #5
Originally posted by gbk:
OMG is that JK?

I think that was the level that I originally wrote the RVTCS cog for - so the whole thing was made entirely out of 3d0s and they were created/destroyed based on distance from the player.

I was going to say I thought you wrote the cog, but I couldn't remember.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2017-01-27, 7:37 PM #6
Originally posted by gbk:

Actually, I think it was written for the Swamps of Naboo level to remove 3do's from a distance (including terrain). ;) That level also experimented with using custom mip map cells to fade all of the textures into the background color before destroying it.
2017-01-28, 8:06 PM #7
2017-01-29, 7:17 PM #8

I'm starting to look for way of wrapping this level up and releasing it. I would like to do a SP, but I don't really have time to do the scripting. I still have some underground passage ways that I want to do and add a lot more detail to many of the buildings and environment.
2017-01-30, 9:22 AM #9
Looks massive. I think it looks great.
2017-01-31, 11:19 AM #10
Love the lighting, though it's probably a bit too much yellow.

My only feedback is in regards to the textures, they just feel really harsh. The contrast on the Millennium Falcon textures is far too extreme, the black lines are far too bold and give it a cartoony look. There are certainly better Falcon 3DOs out there with textures, most of them ported over from the XWA upgrade pack. Same can be said for the noise on some of the building textures, the sharpness seems like it's been bumped up dramatically (especially on the roof textures). The interior shots of the starport (referencing the Falcon pic) also show that the wall textures are blown up and stretched as well.

Aside from the texture issues mentioned above, I really like this! Very atmospheric and pleasantly reminds me of the good ol' days in JK. Come to think of it, there was a pretty ambitious Tatooine map from someone named snake something, solidsnake perhaps? I'm not sure, but I remember it being similar in premise.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2017-02-06, 1:05 PM #11
rly confused what game/engine?
former entrepreneur
2017-02-07, 6:53 AM #12
Originally posted by Eversor:
rly confused what game/engine?

Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!