Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Where to start over?
Where to start over?
2017-03-29, 7:41 AM #1
Hey gang!

I'm at a loss on how to restart a project.

About a decade ago, I started making a Flash (swf) version of Hot Death Uno. Anyone remember that jewel? I wasted hours upon hours playing that.

Anyway, after working on it for quite a while, I quit to do other things, and like every project I start, it was never finished.

The other day, I thought it would be fun to finish it. BUT I was using SwishMax and their company folded.

Flash no longer seems a viable option for continuing the game as it seems to be fading from the internet (unless I'm wrong).

SO, to make a long story longer, I need to be pointed in the right directions to restart the project. What software is currently (or could be) used for web-based games? Programming language(s)?

I'm not opposed to completely starting over, and I'm not opposed to learning (or sort of learning) a new coding language. I figure at least some of what I learned in the past will translate with different syntax.

But basically, I don't know where to begin anymore. Hot Death Uno, if you never played it, is a card game.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2017-03-29, 8:41 AM #2
Everyone says html5 is the future. I'm sure this is likely to be unhelpful:

https://github.com/showcases/javascript-game-engines
2017-03-29, 8:53 AM #3
Not an expert. But I'm currently taking an animation for web class and we're using Adobe Animate. Turns out it is the remnant re-skinned version of Macromedia flash. Most of my assignments have used action script 3.0, though the selling point of animate is that you can build flash-like projects using html5 or action script as well as AIR for android, iOS, or desktop applications. So the program is still alive and well, and mandatory to learn for my degree.
As for the phasing out, as I understand it, Flash is still alive and well in some corners of the web, the iPhone was hard coded to disallow flash usage for whatever reason so broader use has receded but for your game it might be a viable option if you don't want to start from scratch using something else.
My blawgh.
2017-03-29, 1:07 PM #4
I know little to nothing about this topic, but if I am not mistaken there is an active Hacker News thread right now about a service for making the kind of games you're talking about that lets you deploy it to multiple platforms. The thread is definitely self-promotion, and there are a lot of yes-men responding to it, but there might be some interesting discussion on the periphery, assuming the actual thing they are talking about ("Construct 3") is itself a less than worthy bargain.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13984951
2017-03-29, 3:43 PM #5
Use Unreal Engine 4.
2017-03-31, 7:14 AM #6
Okay. Lots to think about. May continue with flash since I never intended it to operate on a small screen like a phone (everything would be too small).

Thanks for the input!
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."

↑ Up to the top!