Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Knight not working with AMD card
Jedi Knight not working with AMD card
2017-04-06, 4:48 PM #1
I don't know if this is the right place to post, if it isn't, i'm sorry.

I've been having this problem since september of last year, my JK starts, but i can't start a new game, i've installed it with the 'Alternative Installer', installed the unnoficial patch, and the ddraw.dll fix, but none of them helped in any way.

The error message that is displayed is the following: "video card may not have enough memory for this mode - Try a lower setting. Restoring previous setting." After clicking in OK, another message is shown: "Error setting last valid display mode, please recheck display mode."

My pc is more than capable of running the game.

AMD A8-7600 3.00 Ghz
AMD Radeon R7 1.00 GB
8gb ram

Please Help.
2017-04-06, 4:52 PM #2
Same here on Windows 10. I haven't found a solution and don't even think there is one.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-04-06, 10:16 PM #3
The quickest solution that has worked on most NVIDIA cards (the success rate on AMD cards is much, much lower):

Download version 2.5 of the dgvoodoo wrapper, and extract the DLL files from the "D3D"* directory in the zip file to your root JK directory (e.g. C:\JK).

* = or DX8, DirectX, Direct3D, DirectX8 etc. - I can't remember what it was actually named, but it's definitely not the Glide one

If this one doesn't work straight away, try downloading the latest version of the dgvoodoo wrapper instead (otherwise with the same instructions). For me, I got JK working (with NVIDIA card) in mostly-perfect condition under dgvoodoo 2.5. But depending on which mod people have attempted to play, sometimes 2.5 hasn't worked and the latest one (or some other version) has.

Some people have posted alternate solutions on this thread.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-04-07, 11:40 AM #4
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
The quickest solution that has worked on most NVIDIA cards (the success rate on AMD cards is much, much lower):

Download version 2.5 of the dgvoodoo wrapper, and extract the DLL files from the "D3D"* directory in the zip file to your root JK directory (e.g. C:\JK).

* = or DX8, DirectX, Direct3D, DirectX8 etc. - I can't remember what it was actually named, but it's definitely not the Glide one

If this one doesn't work straight away, try downloading the latest version of the dgvoodoo wrapper instead (otherwise with the same instructions). For me, I got JK working (with NVIDIA card) in mostly-perfect condition under dgvoodoo 2.5. But depending on which mod people have attempted to play, sometimes 2.5 hasn't worked and the latest one (or some other version) has.

Some people have posted alternate solutions on this thread.

It worked, thanks!
2017-09-24, 1:39 AM #5
As an addendum to the above, I ended up reinstalling JK and MotS on Steam (removing the Steam patch files, OGGs and Bink & Smacker videos, then digging up the original CDs for the original EXEs) yesterday, and the method I listed above still seems to work (especially with JK13).

However, even though with dgvoodoo you can get JK working just fine, you can't access the 32-bit resolutions anymore. Without dgvoodoo you can, but then the chances of JK working (or even running the game (at max/your monitor's native resolution)) drop by about 83%.

The only custom level thus far that hasn't worked with this set-up has been (of course) my own TODOA 2-, which crashes almost immediately when the gameplay level begins. On my computer, disabling dgvoodoo and running JK with JK13 alone at friggin' 1680x1050 got it to work. And even then, the title bar was present at all times even during full screen mode, so that's JK working without dgvoodoo for ya. But as thus far this only affects TODOA 2-, it's not a loss for anyone. ;P
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!