Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Last Jedi...
The Last Jedi...
2017-04-14, 1:11 PM #1
Well, surprised no one else posted it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ

EDIT: Sorry about the broken link.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2017-04-14, 11:23 PM #2
I hate teasers so much
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2017-04-15, 4:11 AM #3
Why's the Capitol Building on fire
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-04-15, 7:26 AM #4
"What do you see?"
"Light..."
oh god hnnnnnng god yes, light, that's a star wars thing
"Darkness..."
oh **** yes please darkness, light and darkness, that's a star wars thing that a star wars character is saying i can't ****ing believe it

Yeah teasers are lame, unless they really present me with something intriguing. This is exactly what you'd expect, y'know? Yup, those are the people, there's the ships, etc. It's just a reminder, really, a little cue to get yer brain back in Star Wars mode for later this year.

I'm glad if people are genuinely excited by this, but I can honestly say I didn't really get any kind of charge out of it.
2017-04-15, 5:15 PM #5
Yeah, this teaser was kinda boring. I don't think Rian Johnson likes doing teasers.
2017-04-15, 7:32 PM #6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kae-JjbLsgA

"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-04-15, 8:37 PM #7
I guess we really are going to get a SW movie every year. The vibe I got with the trailer was that we are just going through the motions. Hope I'm wrong.

The new Logan movie kinda made me have hope for experimentation within big IP action films but that was after how many stale X-Men movies? Same goes with Fury Road.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2017-04-16, 2:33 PM #8
As a teaser trailer this is nowhere near as good as even the TFA trailer. The TFA teaser made me want more. This one didn't.
former entrepreneur
2017-04-16, 2:44 PM #9
Originally posted by Wookie06:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kae-JjbLsgA

The protagonist's name is Iden Versio. I'm starting to think they need to do something about that random Star Wars name generator that they're apparently using.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-04-16, 3:36 PM #10
Originally posted by Krokodile:
The protagonist's name is Iden Versio. I'm starting to think they need to do something about that random Star Wars name generator that they're apparently using.

Or the random character generator because I would have imagined the person should actually look to fit the part of seasoned special ops commander than "generic default person". At least you know they are special ops cause they got one guy who sounds SAS-ish.

I dunno. EA BFII looks like what the "first" BF should have been. Like, this is the actual game. The first one must be functionally dead at this point, and it has been only a relatively short while.

Also, does every new entry in the SW universe have to have a new type of Stormtrooper? Even Rogue One introduced the Death Trooper and Shoretrooper. Not really whining, just kinda funny to me.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2017-04-16, 7:34 PM #11
I'm not sure this is gonna be a good film. The impression I've got from this is that MH didn't like what was done with his character, but played him anyways. You can go in the wrong direction by wanting to do something different.
https://youtu.be/It_olylT42I
2017-04-16, 7:37 PM #12
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Also, does every new entry in the SW universe have to have a new type of Stormtrooper? Even Rogue One introduced the Death Trooper and Shoretrooper. Not really whining, just kinda funny to me.

Some kind of barrel-making Stormtrooper. A cooper trooper.
2017-04-16, 8:20 PM #13
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Some kind of barrel-making Stormtrooper. A cooper trooper.

I want a pooper trooper.
2017-04-16, 8:35 PM #14
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
I want a pooper trooper.

The power was inside you all along
2017-04-16, 9:28 PM #15
The new film will probably be at least as good as the previous one, which isn't saying much. Unless by "previous one" you understand the most recent Star Wars film previously released. In that case, I have no idea how it will stack up compared to Rogue One. If you understand "previous one" to mean the previous movie in the trilogy of trilogies (yeah, like they'll stop at nine), then we're good. How confusing is this stuff going to get? Not so much with Star Wars nerds but other people that are not going to be able to intuitively order the films in their mind. I mean, are you ever around people that are talking about Star Wars and you know most of them really don't "get it" and you just sit back and listen, enjoying the chaos (and likely not wanting to demonstrate your knowledge of things as silly as midichlorians)? I was listening to a conversation about how there were originally nine or twelve books that Lucas bought the rights to and made the middle one into a film.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-04-16, 11:16 PM #16
Star Wars is proving the axiom of choice by construction
2017-04-17, 9:15 AM #17
The new film will probably be at least as good as the previous one, which isn't saying much. Unless by "previous one" you understand the most recent Star Wars film previously released. In that case, I have no idea how it will stack up compared to Rogue One. If you understand "previous one" to mean the previous movie in the trilogy of trilogies (yeah, like they'll stop at nine), then we're good. How confusing is this stuff going to get? Not so much with Star Wars nerds but other people that are not going to be able to intuitively order the films in their mind. I mean, are you ever around people that are talking about Star Wars and you know most of them really don't "get it" and you just sit back and listen, enjoying the chaos (and likely not wanting to demonstrate your knowledge of things as silly as midichlorians)? I was listening to a conversation about how there were originally nine or twelve books that Lucas bought the rights to and made the middle one into a film.

I liked TFA. It isn't a perfect film, but it had the magic that is lacking from Rogue One and the prequels. It felt like a Star Wars film. This next one might not feel like a Star Wars film at all, or might change the course of events so that we can never get the feeling from a Star Wars film again, and that's what bothers me.
2017-04-17, 10:04 AM #18
I liked TFA. It isn't a perfect film, but it had the magic that is lacking from Rogue One and the prequels. It felt like a Star Wars film.

Well, it felt like three of them at least.
2017-04-17, 10:09 AM #19

I think it was necessary, after the major disconnect that the prequels were, we sort of had to go back to the OT to start all over.
2017-04-17, 10:57 AM #20
I think it was necessary, after the major disconnect that the prequels were, we sort of had to go back to the OT to start all over.

Those aren't the three I'm talking about.
2017-04-17, 11:07 AM #21
Those aren't the three I'm talking about.

Which are then?
2017-04-17, 11:32 AM #22
Which are then?

- Poor pacing
- Boring, repetitive plot
- Plot that is advanced by coincidence, not by any character action
- Bevy of newly introduced, undeveloped but suspiciously marketable side characters that advance the plot in a key moment but never come up again (at least, until the animated series)
- Ties to appease disaffected adult fans through fan service rather than substance
- Visual design that is visibly Star Wars, but without any of the inspiration or aesthetic skill of Ralph McQuarrie
- Space ships that are visibly Star Wars, but different, because they need to sell more toys
- No video game tie-in worth talking about, other than the Lego one

I just described four of the Star Wars movies.
2017-04-17, 12:33 PM #23
To my deepest regret, the movie won't open with this scene.

[Unable to find specified attachment]

Such a tragedy for the aches.
2017-04-17, 12:42 PM #24

Maybe part of the reason we fight so much is that we are very alike in someways.

2017-04-17, 1:50 PM #25
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?
2017-04-17, 1:58 PM #26
Some say he was hiding behind a snokescreen.
2017-04-17, 2:02 PM #27
I thought not. It’s not a story the Jedi would tell you. It’s a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life… He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.
2017-04-17, 4:05 PM #28
So, should that have stayed in? I think there are positives but on the negative side it brings up midichlorians again. Then again, we all know Jar Jar was the one manipulating all of these events.

2017-04-17, 5:00 PM #29
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.
2017-04-17, 5:01 PM #30
So, should that have stayed in? I think there are positives but on the negative side it brings up midichlorians again. Then again, we all know Jar Jar was the one manipulating all of these events.

I don't know if cutting a few scenes could improve the prequels. They are perfect masterpieces in their current state.
2017-04-17, 5:02 PM #31
He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself.
2017-04-17, 5:03 PM #32
*soon after Anakin is killing younglings*
2017-04-18, 9:53 AM #33
I always used to end up sort of defending Ep I. Not because I thought it was great but what I saw in Ep II as bad seemed so much worse than 1. Overtime though 1 just seems to get worse while 2, kind of like TFA, just seemed so bad on the first viewing that once the initial shock is over what's left seems to get better with subsequent viewings. Okay, 2 doesn't get that much better but my point really is that 1 just gets worse.

2017-04-18, 1:25 PM #34
I thought TPM was the best of the prequels by a fairly wide margin. It's the only one with pacing that is similar to the films of the OT. It's also the only one where you gradually discover a series of worlds through the eyes of characters who are on an adventure. RotS and AotC have the structure of the Lord of the Rings movies, where overlapping arcs exist simultaneously. One of the strengths of ESB and RotJ is that they also have such a structure, but they don't lose their sense of human scale (as RotS, AotC, The Two Towers and Return of the King did).
former entrepreneur
2017-04-18, 11:53 PM #35
This is just a guess, but maybe you also feel that way simply because, despite being an arguably worse movie than RotS, TPM doesn't spend half of its time anticipating things you already know will happen in ANH, which leaves you with a high budget but ultimately unengaging bonanza of special effects, ridiculous choreographed swordplay, and bad dialog.
2017-04-19, 12:26 AM #36
I think that TPM and AOTC are absolutely irrelevant in the long run. ROTS works the best as a sequel to the 2003-2004 Clone Wars cartoons (which are far better than any of the CGI crap that's come out afterwards).

In any case, I've always had a liking to ROTS.
2017-04-19, 3:40 AM #37
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
This is just a guess, but maybe you also feel that way simply because, despite being an arguably worse movie than RotS, TPM doesn't spend half of its time anticipating things you already know will happen in ANH, which leaves you with a high budget but ultimately unengaging bonanza of special effects, ridiculous choreographed swordplay, and bad dialog.

That's true. TPM has a story that stands on its own. The other two prequels... not as much.
former entrepreneur
2017-04-19, 2:34 PM #38
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I guess we really are going to get a SW movie every year. The vibe I got with the trailer was that we are just going through the motions. Hope I'm wrong.

The new Logan movie kinda made me have hope for experimentation within big IP action films but that was after how many stale X-Men movies? Same goes with Fury Road.

I was with Logan until about 2/3 of the way in when the comic book cliche character turned up and I immediately thought "oh get ****ed".
nope.
2017-04-19, 5:38 PM #39
All I can say is that I'm glad I remained spoiler free for the movie. Never saw that coming.

2017-04-20, 6:44 AM #40
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I was with Logan until about 2/3 of the way in when the comic book cliche character turned up and I immediately thought "oh get ****ed".

When the science guy shows up? Or when the results of the science guy's labors shows up?

↑ Up to the top!