Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 680 of 835

Thread: Anything Movies

  1. #641
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,993
    In the comics, nebula stole the gauntlet and used it to reverse time. Hopefully nobody considers this a spoiler since it’s a 30 year old comic and I don’t know whether the story of the movie will be the same.

  2. #642
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Ah, betrayed by his daughter. How could I forget.

    That time would be reversed is obvious enough. That's another thing I find odd about comic movies. There's never really any true consequences or death. If everything is just undone in this film, which of course it will be, then the shock of the last film is just a bunch of pointless nothing.

  3. #643
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    End Game was 100% everything you'd expect from a Marvel movie. Perfectly nonoffensive, perfectly kitschy, and wraps it all up this time in a nice bow.

    It's hard to even know what to say. You already know if you'll like it. If you don't, you'll find it's perfectly bland and long. It's like eating oatmeal with nothing in it.

  4. #644
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,993
    Thanks for saving me like 100 bucks reid

  5. #645
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Well sorry, I did think about commenting on other parts of the film but there's just nothing really to say.

  6. #646
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Today I learned that there's a culture of being Very Angry On The Internet™ if you dislike superhero films.

    I shared my taste for the films blandness on Reddit and was dogpiled. It doesn't matter how much I point out the very obvious truths that the film is 50% kitschy, sentimental nothing and 50% a predictable plot which wraps everything up with a nice little bow. I'm wrong to have this opinion. And whenever you read any criticism of Marvel films anywhere, you see this:

    If you don’t like superhero films then don’t watch them. But you shouldn’t criticise people who get something out of them. It’s like me saying I’m not a fan of musicals so people should stop making them. I can simply… not watch them. If there are enough people who feel this way, the genre will wilt and die because nobody is watching them. Right now a lot of people are giving their money to go see superhero films… and they are well made and have a sense of joy and humour pervading through them (the Marvel ones anyway) that people might crave in this world of uncertaintly. My favourite director is David Lynch but I don’t expect everyone to love Mulholland Drive. That would be ridiculous. Let people enjoy what they want… as long as it’s not hurting anyone else. Sheesh.
    Which is like, yikes people do you need to freak out when says the films are written for teenagers? I don't like that people are so reflexively critical of critics. Good job though Disney, you've successfully created some real ******* committed fans.

    Superhero films need their earnest Don Quixote. Everything about them carries the exact same sentimentality and gung-ho good guy morals that cheesy westerns or medieval chivalric novels did.

  7. #647
    Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Posts
    11,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I point out the very obvious truths that the film is ... kitschy, sentimental .... predictable
    Can't wait for youtube.com/Reid'sUnbiasedObjectiveMovieReviews

  8. #648
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by saberopus View Post
    Can't wait for youtube.com/Reid'sUnbiasedObjectiveMovieReviews
    Ha, trick suggestion. The only people who watch youtube videos about Marvel movies are Marvel fans. You just want to watch me get my hand stabbed like Luca Brasi.

  9. #649
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,993
    On the bright side, Reid, chances are that at least half of your downvotes are from literal teenagers. That means only half of them were Disney bots.

  10. #650
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    On the bright side, Reid, chances are that at least half of your downvotes are from literal teenagers. That means only half of them were Disney bots.
    Throw in probably a couple 20-somethings who have seen it four times and you're right.

  11. #651
    HEY, ready for MY review???

    I watched the first few minutes of Avengers: Infinity War and was like, “More like Avengers: Infinite Crap” and turned it off.

  12. #652
    I was like, “Mark Ruffalo? More like Mark Boring.”

  13. #653
    Also wtf is up with this terrible CGI?

  14. #654
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,993
    Keep watching, it’ll get good soon

  15. #655
    Paul Rudd isn’t in enough of this movie for it to be good

  16. #656
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,993
    Keep watching, the best part is all about him.

  17. #657
    I watched 30 more seconds of the movie and was like "Mark Ruffalo? More like Mark Rough acting!" and turned it off again.

    But I did like Cumberbatch's American accent.

  18. #658

  19. #659
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,993
    A man that humourless would never be able to make it in the entertainment business.

  20. #660
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    The hate train I'm seeing around is excessive as they always are, but that moment was definitely out there.

  21. #661
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696


    Ughhhh

  22. #662
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Hard evidence of why you never do exactly what fans say. Because they would make garbage like this.

  23. #663
    Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Posts
    11,914
    dude BaD aSs I got chills just watching that holy **** can you imagine

  24. #664
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696


    This is great, though. So sick of films presenting choreographed dancing like it's 'fighting'.

    Maybe it's because I did fencing for years but Star Wars lightsaber duels always look really lame.

  25. #665
    Spoiler alert: all Hollywood movies are full of fakery and illusion. *gasp*

  26. #666
    Spoiler alert: in Goodfellas' famous Steadicam long take take, Henry and Karen's navigation through the kitchen is 100% "unnecessary" choreography.


    Before entering the kitchen, notice the firehose on the wall.



    Leaving the kitchen, notice they walk past the very same firehose!
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 05-08-2019 at 12:48 PM.

  27. #667
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by saberopus View Post
    dude BaD aSs I got chills just watching that holy **** can you imagine
    I want to be sarcastic but there's no way I can be. I just hated it. Good for you to have such cheer.

  28. #668
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Spoiler alert: in Goodfellas' famous Steadicam long take take, Henry and Karen's navigation through the kitchen is 100% "unnecessary" choreography.


    Before entering the kitchen, notice the firehose on the wall.



    Leaving the kitchen, notice they walk past the very same firehose!
    lol there's a huge difference between one continuity break in a single scene, versus 10 climactic minutes of people slapping swords together aimlessly

  29. #669
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Ughhhh
    Jesus christ haha

  30. #670
    Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Posts
    11,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I want to be sarcastic but there's no way I can be. I just hated it. Good for you to have such cheer.
    I "hate" it too, but it elicits more of an eye roll than any type of angst.

    I hope there are more along these lines, TBH.

  31. #671
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    17,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Hard evidence of why you never do exactly what fans say. Because they would make garbage like this.
    People really have no idea why they like what they like.

  32. #672
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    lol there's a huge difference between one continuity break in a single scene, versus 10 climactic minutes of people slapping swords together aimlessly
    Maybe Lucas didn't convince you about the realism in those scenes, but there are plenty of people in the audience who don't care. I agree that it looks silly, and it's always bothered me. But in the end, every film (even a documentary) is always a sequence of illusions (and if you've ever taken a film class or heard somebody from the industry talk about it, etc., you start to realize just how manipulative movies are on just about every level, and are always just shy of giving away the fact that it's all on a set after all).

    That said, the fact that there is so much time wasted on saber fights in the prequels is probably a testament to the triumph of style over substance: Lucas probably just thought it would be cool to have a fight with laser swords (and I still kinda think it is cool). Although compared to the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH--as mentioned by someone in the comment section of that video--the prequel fights are a flipping (pun intended) joke.
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 05-08-2019 at 08:12 PM.

  33. #673
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by saberopus View Post
    I "hate" it too, but it elicits more of an eye roll than any type of angst.

    I hope there are more along these lines, TBH.
    Really? I can't imagine what else in the OT really could be improved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Maybe Lucas didn't convince you about the realism in those scenes, but there are plenty of people in the audience who don't care. I agree that it looks silly, and it's always bothered me. But in the end, every film (even a documentary) is always a sequence of illusions (and if you've ever taken a film class or heard somebody from the industry talk about it, etc., you start to realize just how manipulative movies are on just about every level, and are always just shy of giving away the fact that it's all on a set after all).

    That said, the fact that there is so much time wasted on saber fights in the prequels is probably a testament to the triumph of style over substance: Lucas probably just thought it would be cool to have a fight with laser swords (and I still kinda think it is cool). Although compared to the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH--as mentioned by someone in the comment section of that video--the prequel fights are a flipping (pun intended) joke.
    It is all illusions, granted. It's like magic. All magicians are not equally convincing in their act though, lol. It's like comparing a street magician to Penn and Teller. If you can see through the illusion it fades. The line between the two is narrow.

    I also don't think it helps that Lucas plays the scenes so sincerely. I was watching Raiders of the Lost Ark, and, you could easily criticize lots of the film. However the film projects its campiness so hard you can't mistake it for being serious. It works for that reason. When you back 10 minutes of flynning with the most serious tone, it just doesn't work that well.

    I thought the scene was awesome as a kid, but I skipped through it when I watched Phantom Menace a year ago or so.

  34. #674
    I agree with all of that!

    Interesting about Raiders. I always assumed that the Indy movies had aged better than the prequeals, but admittedly it's been even longer since I've seen them, so who knows. Although from what I gather from your post, you weren't saying that Raiders was bad per se.

  35. #675
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    I agree with all of that!

    Interesting about Raiders. I always assumed that the Indy movies had aged better than the prequeals, but admittedly it's been even longer since I've seen them, so who knows. Although from what I gather from your post, you weren't saying that Raiders was bad per se.
    No, definitely not bad. It's 'bad' in that it's campy, but it doesn't take itself seriously so it works. I mean any film where an American badass rams Nazis off a cliff has to be a bit cheesy, right? But it doesn't pretend not to be cheesy, so you can just enjoy it.

  36. #676
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Interestingly, apparently not only did professional swordsmen (like Olympic fencer) used to be in Hollywood, fencing as a hobby used to be more popular. So in some old films you actually get swordfighting with a bit of realism to them:



    There's still Hollywood fakery sprinkled all over, but generally the swordplay is pretty realistic. And it's not just high low parry, you actually see like a riposte and leveraging of the sabre's forte. Flynning is much more obviously fake swordfighting:



    There's not even an attempt to make it seem real, it's just high-low parry over and over again for pretty much the entire fight. Of course, Star Wars (yes, even the OT) tends toward the latter here. Actually, in many respects the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader is the best for this, at least until Obi-Wan's twirl. But the key point is OT fights tend not to dwell too long on pointless sword swatting. If you rewatch the fight between Luke and Vader in ESB, for one Vader isn't trying to kill Luke. He is instead basically trying to overpower him. There's a few moments of Flynny slapping but they're brief and most of it seems genuine.

    The Phantom Menace though is 100% flynning. Just not even trying. And here it's even worse than the scant moments in ESB, since the characters are set to kill each other. They're refusing tactical advantages constantly. So many scenes you could just imagine someone like taking a step and just stabbing the other and winning instead of doing some dumb flip/twirl, ignoring your opponent's weakness, etc. Not only that, but there's zero character development and the fight just ****ing drags. I don't understand how prequel fans can even pretend it's watchable. Blows my mind.
    Last edited by Reid; 05-10-2019 at 08:44 AM.

  37. #677
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696


    Ahh, this moment where Luke stares Vader down, ignoring the saber in his face, is so effing good. Perfect visual commentary and a very badass moment. No amount of dialogue can replace what's said by this simple shot.

  38. #678
    Haha, OK, you convinced me: the swordplay int he prequels is bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reid
    I don't understand how prequel fans can even pretend it's watchable. Blows my mind.
    Interesting you say this, because of the few seconds I watched of some Youtube video I'd clicked on (in which some dude lambasts the use of sabers in the Disney trilogy), I heard him praise how much better saber battles were in both the prequels and the OT. I felt like he was giving a pass to the prequels in order to attack Disney.

  39. #679
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    I felt like he was giving a pass to the prequels in order to attack Disney.
    This is pretty common for prequel defenders, yeah. I think people who overlook obvious flaws with the prequels but nitpick the sequels are fooling themselves.

  40. #680
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,696
    Casino is a goddamn amazing film. I think Goodfellas is still the 2nd best Scorsese film (nothing will beat Taxi Driver), but Casino is incredible. Goodfellas just wins on pacing and editing. Casino has much more granularity on a horribly ****ed up marriage in the context of horribly ****ed up mob life.

    I dunno what to say. Scorsese rules.

    Edit: Let's just say if Casino was by any other director, I would probably consider it their magnum opus. For it to be third for Scorsese just speaks to his incredible directing talent and shouldn't take anything away from that film.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •