Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Anything TV

I want it to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie06 View Post
    I don't think it's necessary to watch the show in order. I think it's perfectly fine to pick out some of the best regarded episodes, maybe watch those from earliest to latest, and then watch others as time permits.
    Yeah, that's what I did (using something like this, with a cutoff threshold of minimum rating), but Jon`C WOULDN'T LET ME

P.S.: guess which episodes the writers were on strike on that graph

I picked up a couple collections a long time ago. Borg and Klingon I think because those episodes were among my favorite and there was no way I was going to buy full sets back then, this was before streaming was much of a thing. I could tell I was missing a few I wished were in there but it was a good way to get a lot of good ones. The Captain and Time Travel sets didn't interest me that much so I didn't pick those up.

Anyway, I only made the suggestion because there are so many episodes. If you've got the desire, sure, watch 'em all in order. Still, it seems like it's easier to tolerate the weaker episodes if you don't have to endure so many at one time and without already having grown attached to the characters.

I was just thinking, since some here don't like what's been done with new Trek and Star Wars how we would have felt if we were so fond of original Battlestar Galactica when they completely changed it for the reboot. I know many don't like some aspects of the newer show but even the controversial and weaker aspects don't bother me at all. I like the original for what it is but I love the reboot. Too bad they bailed on Caprica just as that show was starting to get interesting.
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

Admiral of Awesome
    The Battlestar Galactica reboot had the benefit of never being done before. Grimdark sci fi was a novelty. Unfortunately it became too successful, and everybody else had to do BSG as well.

Stargate Universe is still some of the dumbest TV Iíve ever watched, for what little of it I could get through.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    I want it to be good.
    Same, if they do it well I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post

But in Drive it seems to serve a purpose. Blue for vehicle interior lighting, orange for incandescent street lights. Looks pretty cool for a few scenes. Wouldn't want a whole show with this kind of color grading, but it works for a one-off film.
    Too old to die young mafukka

Also:

Has this been discussed yet?

sniff

Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Stargate Universe is still some of the dumbest TV I’ve ever watched, for what little of it I could get through.
    What did you think of Babylon 5? I think I've tried a time or two to watch it and I don't remember getting through one episode. I planned on watching Stargate. Not sure if I finished an episode of that either. Truth be told I don't really care for the film much either. I think I used to like it but the last time I watched it I thought it was a little too silly with the scientist character and some giant animal things.
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Too old to die young mafukka

Also:

Has this been discussed yet?
    I think it might have been brought up some time back but not sure. Definitely looking forward to that one. I picked up the novelization of the film last year to read with my son but I've not kept up with that. I need to get started again. Anyway, apparently Henson really wanted some things fleshed out in the book so it is supposed to be very good. It's an interesting book too and one of I think three Henson novelizations.

Admiral of Awesome
    What did you think of Babylon 5? I think I've tried a time or two to watch it and I don't remember getting through one episode. I planned on watching Stargate. Not sure if I finished an episode of that either. Truth be told I don't really care for the film much either. I think I used to like it but the last time I watched it I thought it was a little too silly with the scientist character and some giant animal things.
    Babylon 5 was good. It was originally planned to be 5 seasons plus a successor series called Babylon Prime, which could have been amazing except the original main character got schizophrenia IRL so they had to change the main arc after already foreshadowing all of this in season 1. Then it got mock cancelled after season 4, so they packed the replanned seasons 4 and 5 into one season along with a pretty comprehensive epilogue episode. And then it was suddenly renewed for a fifth season which they filled with... uh, filler. But despite these setbacks it still manages to be good.

They also tried to make a spinoff series called Crusade. Some of those episodes are really good! But most of them are bad, because the producers had no clue what they wanted and they retooled the entire series halfway through. They ended up airing the episodes out of order to make them somewhat coherent plot-wise, but leaving major plot holes and tone shifts behind. Itís basically like Firefly only even more mismanaged and nobody cared about it. There have been other movies and spinoffs since then but they were similarly mismanaged (Legend of the Rangers, for example, is good for very little except a laugh).

So, yeah. Basically just a big ball of mismanagement by TNT.

Stargate SG-1 is amazing from seasons 1 through 6 or so. Atlantis season 1 and the first couple of episodes of season 2 are good. The movie is probably skippable, but it does establish the conflict - so maybe worth revisiting once you like the characters. Itís basically Star Trek except the main characters are modern day special forces. Easily one of the best sci fi series ever made, way up there with TNG.

I will earnestly try to give Babylon 5 a chance then. I remember when it started and the big deal about the CG but I wasn't able to watch the show at the time. I'm guessing I would have felt different about it if I had.

A few years ago I think I looked at what was supposed to be chronologically the first SG show and I may have watched one complete episode. I don't remember not liking it.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    TNG is good. I didn't realize just how many episodes there were. This is a mighty time investment, but it's good. And I'm only a few episodes into Season 1, which people say apparently isn't even all that great!

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Before I have any more context to have an opinion, what do you all think of the new Star Trek announcement? Sounds like it's fan servicey, and in this era of endless terrible reboots and nostalgia baiting I'm offput by the suggestion.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    I made the mistake of searching for opinion about it online. Now I know Star Wars and Star Trek fandoms are 100% exactly the same.

I can't even find a single consistent opinion. Everyone seems willing to attack and defend everything Star Trek. I don't get it.
    Last edited by Reid; 07-28-2019 at 03:42 AM.

Before I have any more context to have an opinion, what do you all think of the new Star Trek announcement? Sounds like it's fan servicey, and in this era of endless terrible reboots and nostalgia baiting I'm offput by the suggestion.
    Are you talking about this? It's what started the conversation that led you to TNG. If you're talking about something else I have no idea.

Sounds like it's fan servicey
    ♫ Captain Jean-Luc Picard, of the USS Enterprise ♫

Name:  sexy-picard.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  29.9 KB

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Are you talking about this? It's what started the conversation that led you to TNG. If you're talking about something else I have no idea.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post

Name:  sexy-picard.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  29.9 KB
    That made me gay.

Yes.
    Well, I think it looks interesting. Not interesting enough to get me to subscribe to another streaming service "interesting" though. Fan service doesn't bother me. I'm so used to new material from classic franchises crapping all over the fans that it's nice to feel appreciated every once in a while.

So, I just finished the first season of Discovery (no, I didn't subscribe ). I don't hate it. Actually I like it so far but I'm also not a hard-core trekie. Oddest thing is the Klingon appearance which reminds me of first seeing The Motion Picture where a radical new look was introduced.

Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    They look a lot like the Abrams Klingons, which isn't a surprise because Discovery is 100% slavishly following in the footsteps of JJ's movies. Which, I mean, I like, as movies. One of them, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    That made me gay.
    I'll make it permanent for you then.

(Special note to Reid: spoilers abound so be sure to finish the series before watching )

Quote Originally Posted by saberopus View Post
    They look a lot like the Abrams Klingons, which isn't a surprise because Discovery is 100% slavishly following in the footsteps of JJ's movies. Which, I mean, I like, as movies. One of them, anyway.
    I was thinking that, especially with the lens flare in at least the first episode although I seem to recall hearing somewhere that they were adamant Discovery is set in the regular, I believe (so-)called "prime", timeline. I don't know nor really care. I guess forty years of fiddling around with Trek cannon makes these huge departures easier to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    I'll make it permanent for you then.

(Special note to Reid: spoilers abound so be sure to finish the series before watching )

hubba hubba

he's like a not-funny and bald steve martin

Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    I was thinking that, especially with the lens flare in at least the first episode although I seem to recall hearing somewhere that they were adamant Discovery is set in the regular, I believe (so-)called "prime", timeline. I don't know nor really care. I guess forty years of fiddling around with Trek cannon makes these huge departures easier to take.
    Oh yeah, I just mean the production design, visual style, tone, story focus, etc. footsteps of the Abrams movies.