Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassi Bread Parade: Swearing
Massassi Bread Parade: Swearing
2017-05-26, 3:58 AM #1
Isn't it about time we got rid of the bleedin' swear filter?

Sure, it made a lot more sense back in the day, but nowadays it's kind of a bugger.

Maybe it has made these forums a bit more civil (except when you (accidentally) read old threads and realize that, wait, not really), but these days we're really down to maybe 10 active shmucks at max per month.

And regardless of what's done over this issue: snow you!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-05-26, 8:39 AM #2
I've always liked the filter. Everywhere else I visit on the web boils down to unimaginative combinations of the same four letter words. For me, one of the magical things about massassi was that you could use your imagination with the filtered words and picture more colorful absurd combinations.
Plus with how heated and hostile people get here I can see every debate thread turning into a ****you orgy.
I do really like bottom poll option though, it would make things fresh.
My blawgh.
2017-05-26, 8:57 AM #3
Keep it. It doesn't really matter either way at this point, and I quite like preserving it just because it's always been a part of the forums on this ancient website.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-05-26, 11:20 AM #4
Modify it to change to silly things
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2017-05-26, 11:50 AM #5
Does "Free's mom" still autochange to "my mom"?

[Edit: Nope!]
nope.
2017-05-26, 12:00 PM #6
that's a silly things stupid idea, spook, you silly things
2017-05-26, 1:11 PM #7
Originally posted by saberopus:
that's a silly things stupid idea, spook, you silly things

i can get behind this 100$
2017-05-26, 1:17 PM #8
The only reason I'd be up for taking the filter down is because it can be silly at times for words to be censored on the ISB. To that note, word replacement, while I'd enjoy that on the rest of the forums, would complicate things on the ISB.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2017-05-26, 6:51 PM #9
Just FYI vbulletin (at least the version we're on) doesn't have the ability to turn on/off the censor on certain forums; it applies to the entire place. It also doesn't allow custom replacements. It only allows me to pick a character or characters with which to replace each character in the offending word.
2017-05-26, 7:37 PM #10
god dammit i wanted all the sexual curses to be replaced with (˵ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°˵)
2017-05-27, 9:05 AM #11
While we're at it, we should pivot Massassi to being message board dedicated to Javascript and the MEAN stack. There's real potential here.
former entrepreneur
2017-05-27, 9:34 AM #12
lol
2017-05-27, 10:55 AM #13
I always thought the best solution would be to replace all censored words with Juz-tyn in an attempt at "taking it back," if you will. Sort of like Clerks 2.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2017-05-27, 11:04 AM #14
Quote:
“Sir?” said Tiberium Empire. “I’ve been thinking… sir — even if Tofu (who sux) is gone, Juz-, I mean, YouKnow-Who —”

“Call him Juztyn, Tibby. Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.”

- Tiberium Empire and the Jedi's Bryar
I had a blog. It sucked.
2017-05-27, 11:20 PM #15
This thread does not deliver.
2017-05-28, 1:31 PM #16
u no what u little **** shipping is expensive to your part of the world of course we won't deliver to you
2017-05-28, 1:38 PM #17
Yeah! **** you ****ing ***** *******!
former entrepreneur
2017-05-30, 5:32 PM #18
Originally posted by Brian:
Just FYI vbulletin (at least the version we're on) doesn't have the ability to turn on/off the censor on certain forums; it applies to the entire place. It also doesn't allow custom replacements. It only allows me to pick a character or characters with which to replace each character in the offending word.

I didn't let that stop me. You can do string replacements, but they're obviously less flexible.
2017-05-31, 7:44 AM #19
Didn't find that.
2017-05-31, 2:40 PM #20
This seems to be the right place for this, but I really forgot how much i appreciate not having likes and up votes or whatever until I started posting here a bit more. It feels less like an episode of black mirror and more like we are some of the scummy looking extras in an episode of its always sunny in philadelphia. I love you dirtbags.
2017-05-31, 5:08 PM #21
Awesome. The simpler the better. I would actually prefer even fewer features but things are difficult to make go away on vbulletin. Oh well.
2017-05-31, 11:48 PM #22
Originally posted by Spook:
This seems to be the right place for this, but I really forgot how much i appreciate not having likes and up votes or whatever until I started posting here a bit more. It feels less like an episode of black mirror and more like we are some of the scummy looking extras in an episode of its always sunny in philadelphia. I love you dirtbags.

Back in the day on these right here forums, there used to be a very active poster named Spork. Back then, I always mistook your posts for his and thought "wait, when did Spork start typing differently!?".

These days, there's no such confusion and I'm the only one who remembers that Spork ever existed.

Oh, and, love these dirtbags.

/me thrusts
/me thrusts
/me thrusts
2017-06-01, 12:32 AM #23
But how can you censor posts you dislike without a "disagree" button??
2017-06-01, 11:09 AM #24
I disagree. Do not like. Thumbs down.
2017-06-01, 11:29 AM #25
Originally posted by Jon`C:

blocked
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2017-06-01, 11:35 AM #26
well you see FGR back then I was a 14 year old and I think Spork was older than me so it makes sense that you would be confused. However, I still now type like a 14 year old so how are you sure it is the same Spook, and not a brand new 14 year old called Spook?

Originally posted by Jon`C:

My connections in the MIFC can take care of these problems for me.
2017-06-01, 6:54 PM #27
Star Wars was a PG movie, so the forums have to be PG
2017-06-02, 2:12 AM #28
Originally posted by Spook:
so how are you sure it is the same Spook, and not a brand new 14 year old called Spook?

The Spook who wrote those posts years ago is long dead, as is the Spook who wrote the quote above. The Nikumubeki, who mentioned Spork in a reminiscent fashion, is also dead. As is the one who started this thread, or delivered nachos to his stomach (unlike this thread).

When you fall asleep, you die, and upon reawakening a new you emerges.

And if you use IRC, every time you disconnect, a new you is born the moment you reconnect to the server.

(So if you disconnect from multiple servers at different times but remain connected to the other(s), well, tough s***!)
2017-06-02, 2:15 AM #29
Does half of me die when there is a netsplit, or am I just quantum entangled with a dual version of myself in a mirror universe?
2017-06-02, 2:38 AM #30
Technically, you remain connected to a server when there's a netsplit (netsplit = disconnection of one or several servers from the main hub), so when you reconnect to the hub, from the others' point of view you've come back to life*.Hence, a dual consciousness has been established in your IRCual existence, until you disconnect from the entire server-complex, and both of you will die.

* = Which is when I'd type "YOU'RE DEAD TO ME!" at you
2017-06-02, 2:47 AM #31
Also: if you die in the Matrix, you die in real life.
former entrepreneur
2017-06-02, 2:48 AM #32
FACT!
former entrepreneur
2017-06-02, 3:19 AM #33
And then there are those moments in the wee hours of early morning, as you struggle to retain consciousness, before finally collapsing onto your Cheeto® stained keyboard, that a netsplit miraculously occurs, and you are soon joined by an imposter FGR, who has mischievously crawled onto the particular island among the netsplit archipelago on which you are stranded, perhaps in order to tarnish the name--through various misdeeds--of the actual FGR. Or perhaps he is a phi-creature of Solaris' ocean, made to pass the Turing test just well enough to coax you into divulging the more lurid facets of your psyche.
2017-06-02, 6:17 PM #34
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
The Spook who wrote those posts years ago is long dead, as is the Spook who wrote the quote above. The Nikumubeki, who mentioned Spork in a reminiscent fashion, is also dead. As is the one who started this thread, or delivered nachos to his stomach (unlike this thread).

When you fall asleep, you die, and upon reawakening a new you emerges.

And if you use IRC, every time you disconnect, a new you is born the moment you reconnect to the server.

(So if you disconnect from multiple servers at different times but remain connected to the other(s), well, tough s***!)

I had no idea that nightvale is a desert town located in finlandia
2017-06-03, 1:35 PM #35
Personally I'm all for removing *******, *****, and ******* from the swear filter so I can tell which one of them I'm being called.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-06-03, 1:55 PM #36
Sorry, don't know how to play this video :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPc4QZqz4ek

hehe
former entrepreneur
2017-06-03, 1:55 PM #37
what's the deal? How do I get the video to embed?
former entrepreneur
2017-06-03, 2:15 PM #38
Unless something has changed:
(youtube)youtube video code from within the url(/youtube)

With brackets of course.

I think I just quoted a post with a video to see how it was done.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-06-03, 2:23 PM #39
Count the asterisks dude
2017-06-03, 2:39 PM #40
I know, right? Funny that none of my examples were four asterisks but that's because they're all words I was wondering if were still censored that probably don't need to be.

↑ Up to the top!