Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Did anyone back up GibbaGobba's videos?

  1. #1

    Did anyone back up GibbaGobba's videos?

    This guy on Youtube named GibbaGobba made a series of video tutorials on Jkedit

    However he took them all down recently. I'm wondering if anyone has backed them up by any chance?

  2. #2

    NIKVMVS-REX-TODOA

    Posts
    16,200
    Probably no one here. Someone at JKHub might have them.


    . V .

  3. #3
    He took them down? He said he would keep them up as it could be helpful to someone looking to use the tool.

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Posts
    7,174
    That sucks. If anyone has any JK resources that are in danger of going extinct, let me know and I'll try to get them up somewhere on Massassi

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikumubeki View Post
    Probably no one here. Someone at JKHub might have them.
    I asked around and I got a very nasty pm from him ordering me to not ask his friends for backups. He also intentionally tried to get rid of all attention on him by renaming all of his projects on the site to "untitled".

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranhcase View Post
    He took them down? He said he would keep them up as it could be helpful to someone looking to use the tool.
    I sent him a bunch of PMs and he basically said that because the community was barely around and didn't watch his videos he felt like it was pointless to keep making them. It came across like he was depressed that most of his friends that he made with Jedi Knight had moved on and felt like it was time to move on.

    However he clearly didn't think a lot of this through. Like he posted a video a few days ago talking about how the reason he deleted all of the videos rather than just start a new youtube channel was because he wants to "move the Gibbagobba brand away from Jedi Knight". Like he's Total Biscuit or something. I asked him why he didn't just unlist or just private his videos and he responded rather abruptly with "I can do whatever I want with my channel".

    Guy clearly made his videos for attention and when he stopped getting it he got mad and deleted everything. I'm just sad I didn't back up his videos before he had his meltdown. As his tutorials were the only available ones for JKedit.

    He won't admit that he doesn't have backups either which is the strange thing. He keeps alluding to maybe reuploading his videos or redoing them but at the same time basically states that he probably won't. I just wish he would stop lying but it's unlikely that's ever going to happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    That sucks. If anyone has any JK resources that are in danger of going extinct, let me know and I'll try to get them up somewhere on Massassi
    There are some archives I've found of tutorials and levels. Like some group has archived most of JKhub already. It's just I doubt anyone anticipated gibbagobba randomly deleting his videos for no reason.
    Last edited by DeadYorick; 07-12-2017 at 12:12 AM.

  6. #6
    Of course my account gets validated six months after registering, so I guess I might as well make this as clear as possible with the benefit of hindsight:

    Yes, I felt that continuing to make videos as JK's community was dwindling felt pointless. You can say that I "just wanted attention," but realistically there is no sense in making videos that nobody is bothering to watch. I played around on YouTube as a fun hobby for over seven years, but as time went on, responsibilities came up, interest was lost from both me and my audience, and so it wasn't fun any more. Simple as that.

    At the same time, I was kind of going through something of a depressive phase. Some of this revolved around how I viewed my overall presence on the Internet and how that may affect my work down the road. This is the main reason why I wiped much of my old content and accounts, leaving only the projects I felt were still worth sharing; such as the gib mod Edward and I worked, my Facing Worlds map, the HUD/retexture pack MotS conversions (which actually got referenced in a PC Gamer article!), and a few other miscellaneous files. I feel like most of the guys here on Massassi can understand wanting to move on from JK as you get older, at least that's the impression I've gotten from some of them in the past.

    I do have backups of every video I've made since I keep just about everything. I'm kind of a digital hoarder in regards to stuff like this. The reason I've never bothered re-uploading the tutorials is because they are old and poorly made and I'd rather re-do them if I still had the interest in JK editing. At the same time, I got tired of being something of a lightning rod for Jedi Knight's uninitiated fans, which is why I deleted that old Windows 7 installation tutorial: Too many questions I couldn't answer or keep up with. I never lied about anything, and I even made a few final videos before shutting down the channel just to be as transparent with everyone as possible.

    I apologize if I came off as hostile in our PM conversation. I don't really appreciate people being so insistent on asking things of me and then going behind my back to get them from my friends. However, I wasn't in a great state of mind at the time and I could have handled things a lot better. Nobody's perfect.

    At this point, I have no desire to return to JK in any substantial form for a multitude of reasons. In tandem with losing a general interest in the game (though it will always be one of my favorites), I've recently had a falling out with other remaining community members due to conflict of personalities. To be honest, I feel like that was a good opportunity to re-prioritize what, how, and who I spend my time with so I can better focus on my skills and career prospects as well as just growing as a person. I've since only kept in contact with the few swell guys I've known as friends since I originally joined JK's little online circle, but beyond that, I am done with Jedi Knight.

    Even if it's too late for this reply, I at least want to clear the air as to what's been going on and leave some kind of final message for posterity I guess, though I'll keep replying if there is anything else to respond to. Even if you still think less of me for how I behaved, I do appreciate the interest you had in my work. It really does mean a lot.
    Last edited by Gibbagobba; 01-22-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: revision

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbagobba View Post
    You can say that I "just wanted attention," but realistically there is no sense in making videos that nobody is bothering to watch
    you say this but
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbagobba View Post
    At the same time, I got tired of being something of a lightning rod for Jedi Knight's uninitiated fans, which is why I deleted that old Windows 7 installation tutorial: Too many questions I couldn't answer or keep up with
    so people did watch them but in reality you didn't want to answer questions. So which is it?

    It's extremely annoying that someone would produce modding tutorials but then remove them later for no other reason than one's own ego. Especially since for a lot of games you discover they used to have a wealth of modding documentation that completely went away over time because sites went down. To the point where if you want to use some of these old tools it's almost impossible because zero documentation exists for them. JKedit especially since Massasssi has no tutorials and what tutorials did exist completely vanished. I still completely don't understand why you didn't just unlist the videos or upload them to dropbox/moddb. Completely erasing a utility people wanted to use that costs you nothing to keep up is baffling to me. Regardless of how good you perceive they were. I found them incredibly useful and now I can't use the jkedit program because nobody else uses it and there's no documentation available for it. I'm friends with people who mod other engines like Unreal and they've mentioned having to do things like translate mod tutorials in other languages because there's so little documentation that survived. Yet there's still a community around that wants it.

    Normally not having documentation for old tools is done because of general apathy. This is the first time I've ever seen it done intentionally. Did you ever consider one of the reasons why nobody mods Jedi Knight is because there's little documentation and the community in general has become out for themselves? There's even older games than Jedi Knight like Tomb Raider and Doom (The former had a new Windows 10 optimized editor released last year) that have thriving communities by comparison and a big reason why is the amount of video tutorials and documentation people kept up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbagobba View Post
    I do have backups of every video I've made since I keep just about everything. I'm kind of a digital hoarder in regards to stuff like this. The reason I've never bothered re-uploading the tutorials is because they are old and poorly made and I'd rather re-do them if I still had the interest in JK editing.
    So we'll never get them. I don't understand why you keep parading around that you still have these videos, that you want to redo them, yet you never will because you're moving on with the community. I'd rather have a simplistic "poorly made" video on something, than absolutely nothing after finding out that the creator was more interested in his personal ego and moving his "channel in a new direction". If you keep having this "me me me" attitude with everything you do I shudder to think about what career prospects you'll have in the future. I'm sorry you didn't become the next PewDiePie making video tutorials for a game made 20 years ago but because that wasn't good enough, it's better to salt the earth and destroy all evidence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbagobba View Post
    I've recently had a falling out with other remaining community members due to conflict of personalities. To be honest, I feel like that was a good opportunity to re-prioritize what, how, and who I spend my time with so I can better focus on my skills and career prospects as well as just growing as a person. I've since only kept in contact with the few swell guys I've known as friends since I originally joined JK's little online circle, but beyond that, I am done with Jedi Knight.
    Shocker. Who knew that caring only about yourself, destroying a series of mod tutorials and thinking yourself as better than everyone else would make you unpopular. Who knew saying "I'm done with this community, screw all you guys" wouldn't sit well with people.
    Last edited by DeadYorick; 01-22-2018 at 10:27 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadYorick View Post
    so people did watch them but in reality you didn't want to answer questions. So which is it?
    It's specifically the kind of attention I had been getting from time to time that was bothering me. I wanted to move away from JK as time went on and people did not respond so well to that, insisting that I go back to the old format of playing through levels. That easily killed a lot of the enjoyment in creating for YouTube.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadYorick View Post
    It's extremely annoying that someone would produce modding tutorials but then remove them later for no other reason than one's own ego. Especially since for a lot of games you discover they used to have a wealth of modding documentation that completely went away over time because sites went down. To the point where if you want to use some of these old tools it's almost impossible because zero documentation exists for them. JKedit especially since Massasssi has no tutorials and what tutorials did exist completely vanished. I still completely don't understand why you didn't just unlist the videos or upload them to dropbox/moddb. Completely erasing a utility people wanted to use that costs you nothing to keep up is baffling to me. Regardless of how good you perceive they were. I found them incredibly useful and now I can't use the jkedit program because nobody else uses it and there's no documentation available for it. I'm friends with people who mod other engines like Unreal and they've mentioned having to do things like translate mod tutorials in other languages because there's so little documentation that survived. Yet there's still a community around that wants it.

    Normally not having documentation for old tools is done because of general apathy. This is the first time I've ever seen it done intentionally. Did you ever consider one of the reasons why nobody mods Jedi Knight is because there's little documentation and the community in general has become out for themselves? There's even older games than Jedi Knight like Tomb Raider and Doom (The former had a new Windows 10 optimized editor released last year) that have thriving communities by comparison and a big reason why is the amount of video tutorials and documentation people kept up.
    Sorry if this disappoints you, but that is not my problem. I had to learn the program myself so anybody else should be able to do the same. It has built-in documentation and is pretty easy to understand. Besides which, there are other people who can help out that I've regularly referred others to. Honestly though, if the fate of a modding community, let alone a level editor depends on me making my dopey videos, then is it really worth saving? I have a hard time believing that it's that simple. I joined pretty late into the game so much of of the community's resources had already been contributed.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadYorick View Post
    So we'll never get them. I don't understand why you keep parading around that you still have these videos, that you want to redo them, yet you never will because you're moving on with the community. I'd rather have a simplistic "poorly made" video on something, than absolutely nothing after finding out that the creator was more interested in his personal ego and moving his "channel in a new direction". If you keep having this "me me me" attitude with everything you do I shudder to think about what career prospects you'll have in the future. I'm sorry you didn't become the next PewDiePie making video tutorials for a game made 20 years ago but because that wasn't good enough, it's better to salt the earth and destroy all evidence?
    You did say you thought I was lying about having the videos, I'm just trying to tell you that I'm not. I don't expect you to understand this, since I don't know what kind of creative endeavors you indulge in, but as a creator and artist I am extremely critical of my work. As I improve, I hate showcasing older work that contrasts this. It has nothing to do with ego, I'm just a perfectionist and I can't really help that. Besides, if it was about ego, then deleting the channel would make no sense since I've essentially cut myself off from my audience completely.

    And either way, yes it is about me. I made the videos. I created the channel. I shared my work. When it comes to my work, it is not unreasonable for me to want to have the final say in how it is developed and displayed. People do this all the time on the Internet, this is nothing new. I don't owe anybody anything, especially if all I get in response is an entitled and ungrateful audience acting like my time belongs to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadYorick View Post
    Shocker. Who knew that caring only about yourself, destroying a series of mod tutorials and thinking yourself as better than everyone else would make you unpopular. Who knew saying "I'm done with this community, screw all you guys" wouldn't sit well with people.
    You really don't know anything about me. You only assume that I was somehow at fault just because you still hold some kind of bias against me. That was unprovoked on their part in which I was literally told that I just don't fit in and should go back to the hub with my old friends. They didn't care about my channel or my videos, in fact they've made fun of them at times and so have I. This was merely me coming to realize that the people I had been associating with in recent years were just not very good people to begin with. I am not the source of any elitism in the JK community, I just don't want to be a part of it anymore.

    Even though it has been almost half a year since you posted this thread, I thought responding with an explanation and apology would be the right thing to do. In any practical sense I have no reason to give you answers, but I like seeing issues resolved, even if those involved still aren't happy about it. Yet you still attack my character and act like I committed some kind of transgression against the Jedi Knight fanbase.

    So if I couldn't convince you before, let me make it clear in a different way: You are acting like the same people that ruined making videos for me in the first place. When I wiped my channel, I was still considering how I might go about restructuring it and creating new content, which is why I told you that I wasn't sure whether or not I'd put the tutorials back up or re-do them. But it was when you went behind my back to get them from my friends (and here for some weird reason since I don't talk to these guys) that I decided I had enough and pulled the plug. So was it really worth it in the end? I mean seriously, at the end of the day, it's an old-ass Star Wars game you're putting so much stake into. It's really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. To quote one of my favorite level editors, "Of course we're autistic: We're the dying fanbase of a 20-year-old Quake clone with lightsabers."

    Please tell me though, if I did re-release my videos, what would you do with that? I saw that the videos on your YouTube channel were modding tutorials taken from other sites. Would you do the same with mine? If so, why would I ever choose to put my stuff back up? Is it really not reasonable for others to simply respect my decision in leaving for whatever reason that be? Did you ever stop to think about what it was that might have actually compelled me to feel that way, or was it just YOU being selfish in wanting something from me regardless? I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, but I just don't see how I can get you to understand any other way.
    Last edited by Gibbagobba; 01-23-2018 at 05:34 AM.

  9. #9
    I forgot to reply to Gibba Gobba's recent reply but since he deleted his channel and deleted every trace of himself from Discord I thought I'd just reply to his last post. If only to get the last word.
    It's specifically the kind of attention I had been getting from time to time that was bothering me
    So you made tutorials but didn't want to answer questions about how to mod the game. Got it. I don't understand why you didn't just give the tutorials to someone else and tell them "answer their questions" but w/e
    I wanted to move away from JK as time went on and people did not respond so well to that
    insisting that I go back to the old format of playing through levels
    I have to point this out but I did not care, that you were "moving on from Jedi Knight". What I cared about was that you attempted to salt the Earth and destroy all trace of everything you produced. I also did not care about your level playthroughs. Your criticisms were weak and were frankly mean spirited. Especially since your own levels were usually not as good. Also judging by the people I've talked to you take criticism extremely poorly, given you delete all your videos as soon as someone makes fun of you. What I cared about was your actual good content was scrubbed and you acted all indignant about it.
    That easily killed a lot of the enjoyment in creating for YouTube.
    then give the content to someone else, or unlist it and make a goodbye video. Instead you decided to claim you were going to do something else, then you instead deleted everything.
    Sorry if this disappoints you, but that is not my problem.
    I had to learn the program myself so anybody else should be able to do the same.
    I really have to point out you come off like a really mean spirited person in these posts. Like you didn't actually produce your tutorials to help anyone but instead to impress other people. I don't honestly think you're a nice person to be around and judging from what I've heard from other people you act very two faced to people.
    Honestly though, if the fate of a modding community, let alone a level editor depends on me making my dopey videos, then is it really worth saving?
    Video tutorials are a reason why people get into modding video games. They continue to be produced for older titles all the time. I follow a group that mods Morrowind and they produce a plethora of video tutorials. That's a game that's 15 years old.
    You did say you thought I was lying about having the videos, I'm just trying to tell you that I'm not
    Yes you are. I'm 100% certain you didn't have a copy of the videos, deleted them from youtube, and then when I pointed out you could've just unlisted or privated you got angry at me when you should be angry at yourself. If you just apologized and said "I deleted them by accident" I wouldn't have pressed this much.
    I am extremely critical of my work
    to quote you "this isn't my problem". Your own insecurities about your work aren't my issue. The fact you chose to delete everything and say "tough ****" is.
    As I improve, I hate showcasing older work that contrasts this.
    Then unlist/private. Deleting is moronic. The only defense you've stated to this is "well I have the right to do it" as if being stupid is a defense.
    It has nothing to do with ego, I'm just a perfectionist and I can't really help that.
    You can not give into impulse and act like a selfish person when people want your help for starters. That's something you choose to do or not do.
    Besides, if it was about ego, then deleting the channel would make no sense since I've essentially cut myself off from my audience completely.
    No that makes total sense. People are criticizing you so rather than humble yourself and admit that you are wrong, you chose to destroy everything and act like you're above all fault. Then you chose to delete all of your discord messages because you were embarrassed. It's entirely egotistical.
    And either way, yes it is about me. I made the videos. I created the channel. I shared my work. When it comes to my work, it is not unreasonable for me to want to have the final say in how it is developed and displayed.
    I'm not saying "You don't have the rights to do this" I'm saying "You're a really mean spirited and short sighted person who only cares about himself for doing this"
    People do this all the time on the Internet, this is nothing new.
    I've seen people delete educational content on the internet but it's usually done because they can't afford server hosting. I've never seen someone intentionally destroy educational content and then act indignant about it when people ask if anyone backed it up. Like it's offensive to you. That isn't something I've ever seen before.
    I don't owe anybody anything
    I'm not saying you do, this thread wasn't "hey Gibba Gobba please back up the videos" this thread was titled "did anyone back them up" it's why I asked other people, not you. I gave up on you because I knew you deleted them.
    entitled and ungrateful audience
    This is enormous projection. You state a few times that you didn't get the types of responses you wanted and that because you weren't getting as much attention you started deleting everything. This comes across like you felt entitled to success with your youtube channel, and when you didn't get it you felt angry and deleted everything. The only way I can explain how unapologetic you are is either you were too dumb to admit you made a mistake, or you're doing it on purpose out of anger that nobody watched your other content so you wanted to piss off your original fanbase.
    You only assume that I was somehow at fault just because you still hold some kind of bias against me
    Bias implies my attitude toward you isn't rational. It is. I am judging you for deleting your videos, and do not accept your explanations. I see them as weak and flimsy. If you had admitted "I shouldn't have deleted them but I did, I apologize" I would've accepted that.
    They didn't care about my channel or my videos
    a lot of people subscribed to you, you even claimed this as a point of pride that you were going to shift the focus of the channel because you valued it so much. So people did care about your content even if you didn't.
    This was merely me coming to realize that the people I had been associating with in recent years were just not very good people to begin with. I am not the source of any elitism in the JK community, I just don't want to be a part of it anymore.
    this doesn't concern me, you could've just given the videos to someone else to reupload.
    Even though it has been almost half a year since you posted this thread, I thought responding with an explanation and apology would be the right thing to do. In any practical sense I have no reason to give you answers, but I like seeing issues resolved, even if those involved still aren't happy about it. Yet you still attack my character and act like I committed some kind of transgression against the Jedi Knight fanbase.
    Yes you did. You acted like you were better than everyone and like you were entitled to success. And when you didn't get it you deleted everything.

    When you produce something for a group and then remove it and say "screw you guys you didn't like me enough" that is a transgression.
    But it was when you went behind my back to get them from my friends (and here for some weird reason since I don't talk to these guys) that I decided I had enough and pulled the plug
    You state here numerous times "I have the rights to do whatever I want with my content". If we're going by this logic, I have the right to ask anyone else if they backed it up. I don't owe you anything either. If I found this content I would reupload it for other people. Not you. You don't matter to me, you have done nothing that makes me want to do anything to you.

    You speak about entitlement but you come across like you feel entitled to people not talking ill of you or not doing things you disagree with. If you didn't want me asking people "behind your back" maybe you should've reuploaded your videos.
    I mean seriously, at the end of the day, it's an old-ass Star Wars game you're putting so much stake into. It's really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. To quote one of my favorite level editors, "Of course we're autistic: We're the dying fanbase of a 20-year-old Quake clone with lightsabers."
    The game Doom is significantly older than Jedi Knight and has an enormous amount of people still making content for it, today. The game Tomb Raider has a level editor, an active fanbase and just last year someone made a brand new editor for it and video tutorials. I don't accept "it's old so who gives a ****". To me that comes across as an enormously douchy thing to say. "I don't give a crap about this, it's too old"
    Please tell me though, if I did re-release my videos, what would you do with that? I saw that the videos on your YouTube channel were modding tutorials taken from other sites. Would you do the same with mine? If so, why would I ever choose to put my stuff back up? Is it really not reasonable for others to simply respect my decision in leaving for whatever reason that be?
    no it's not reasonable, people wanted the videos. Once you put something up online it no longer belongs to you. I would have reuploaded it for the benefit of the rest of the community. You wanted to remove them and then claim "I don't like this community because everyone makes fun of me and it's too old". That isn't my problem.
    Did you ever stop to think about what it was that might have actually compelled me to feel that way, or was it just YOU being selfish in wanting something from me regardless?
    Gibba you haven't done anything for me, why would I do something for you. As I said you speak of entitlement but you are an extremely entitled individual. You expect other people to just follow what you want when you treat them poorly and talk down to them. And you expect them to respect you after that?

    I don't expect Gibba to reply back, he deleted his channel and then ran away from Discord after people made fun of him. Hopefully someone else will make proper video tutorials and won't act like everyone owes him something after he produces them. Oh, and won't claim "this is too old so it doesn't matter".

    One last message to Gibba Gobba. Here's how you could've made this entire thing easier. 1. Unlisted your videos. 2. Posted a playlist to them. 3. Stated to people "I'm shifting my content unsubscribe if you don't like it, my videos are still up but you can't browse them in my gallery. 4. Told everyone in the JK community "see you guys later"

    Instead you decided to delete everything, get mad when people called you out on it. Then spazz out at everyone and delete the channel and then leave anyway. So much for "moving the channel in a different direction." and "preserve the gibba gobba name".
    Last edited by DeadYorick; 05-01-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •