Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Massassi Thread Parade - Poll I - Should Koobie be unbanned?
Massassi Thread Parade - Poll I - Should Koobie be unbanned?
2017-06-17, 7:18 AM #1
I say yes, he should definitely be unbanned. He was banned pretty lightly to begin with. His main problem was falling out of favor with certain members whom he kept lashing out at due to being treated in a way characteristic of those members. The blame is partly on Koobie himself, of course, for reacting to hostility with hostility. There were also genuine attempts to criticize his writing in a civil and constructive manner, but that never went over too well. That said, this forum has had people who were far worse toward other members and who were never banned permanently.

DISCLAIMER: the above is based on my memory of some of the discussions that were had and is subject to failures and/or inaccuracies in retention as well as my possible failure to have read some of the things that may have been and may be considered particularly incriminating in Koobie's case. I hereby concede that alternative interpretations of Koobie's interaction with other members, and the reasons behind his permanent ban, may or may not be more accurate than my description above.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-06-17, 8:01 AM #2
The poll should have a "WTF is Koobie" option.
former entrepreneur
2017-06-17, 8:08 AM #3
Let's put aside the question of why Koobie couldn't get along with me and Antony, and who started it.

Koobie was spamming the forum to promote his (paid) writing and social media accounts. He was bumping his showcase threads to keep them linked from the main page, and he made every single discussion forum thread about his written works. I am not exaggerating when I say that several times Koobie had the most recent post in every single thread, all of which were about his writing or a link to his Google+ account.

It's the kind of shady behaviour that would get anybody banned from any forum, and this wasn't the only forum where he was doing it.

If you want this forum to become Koobie SEO central, then by all means, unban him. Enjoy it.
2017-06-17, 11:26 AM #4
Originally posted by Jon`C:
If you want this forum to become Koobie SEO central, then by all means, unban him. Enjoy it.

It depends. Was his writing any good?
former entrepreneur
2017-06-17, 11:38 AM #5
Originally posted by Eversor:
It depends. Was his writing any good?

Conversational ESL
2017-06-17, 11:54 AM #6
That's actually why we didn't get along, too. It's a sad and ****in weird story.

Tibby was looking for writing advice, Koobie recommended Elements of Style, I said it was old-fashioned and cited a review of it from one of the worlds leading grammarians. Koobie did not like that one bit. He blew up and spent most of his remaining pre-ban time trolling me (which I fed into, but c'mon, I'm only human).

I kinda got the impression that he learned pretty much everything he knew about English composition from that book. He was a legit fan of it. I really don't understand why someone would feel so strongly about a 90 year old grammar textbook but he even talked about it on other forums and put it in some of his cover art.

Anyway, that's what happened. He was going to get banned for spamming eventually anyway, we just had some "fun" before it happened.

The sad thing is, before this happened I even told people in IRC to lay off him because they were getting really specific and mean about his writing which I thought was uncalled for.
2017-06-17, 12:03 PM #7
I wouldn't necessarily say that spamming'd be enough to get banned around here.

[Unable to find specified attachment]

... right, Brian?
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-06-17, 12:10 PM #8
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
I wouldn't necessarily say that spamming'd be enough to get banned around here.

... right, Brian?

You also aren't selling anything.
2017-06-17, 12:24 PM #9
Anyone wanna buy some, uh, pinecones?

I'll throw in a couple of paperclips, too.

As in, two paperclips.
2017-06-17, 12:51 PM #10
How much?
2017-06-17, 1:42 PM #11
Do not unban until there is evidence that he has drastically improved his ability to comprehend English, and / or learned to not take every misunderstanding precipitated by this low level of comprehension intensely personally, to the point where it becomes an obsession where he spams every thread that the person he is insecure about posts in.

If you want the SNR of this board to drop like a stone, by all means unban. Some members post less when they feel cornered, others post more. Unless he agrees to not do the second again, it's gonna be annoying as hell.
2017-06-17, 1:51 PM #12
Reading Jon`C's post, I have to reevaluate my opinion. Maybe he wasn't all that inscensed and was only spamming to promote his book? :confused:
2017-06-17, 2:21 PM #13
Anyone wanna buy some, uh, pinecones?

I'll throw in a couple of paperclips, too.

As in, two paperclips.

Banned.
former entrepreneur
2017-06-17, 4:34 PM #14
What if we unban Koobie but filter out external URLs from his posts
2017-06-17, 5:47 PM #15
Redirect them to other people's blogs
2017-06-17, 6:44 PM #16
With the information Jon provided, it's hard to keep saying Koobie shouldn't have been banned. Since he wasn't an outright spambot, though, maybe a compromise such as "pull more of that stuff and it's back to banland with you" would work?
2017-06-17, 7:28 PM #17
You guys are missing the whole point. We now have, on record, Jon`C claiming to be human!!!!
2017-06-17, 9:15 PM #18
Clearly, he's an impostor.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2017-06-18, 7:49 AM #19
So what will you do, Brian? Will you unban Koobie?

Will you make Backup Base the permanent Level of the Week (a position held by JKE for 10 years now)?
2017-06-18, 8:25 AM #20
Will you make Backup Base the permanent Level of the Week (a position held by JKE for 10 years now)?

And OTS for years before that. It's high time that Backup Base got its due.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2017-06-19, 4:32 AM #21
Is this like a one for one trade, where we can swap FGR for Koobie?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2017-06-19, 11:14 PM #22
I mean, if he was unbanned, he'd just be immediately banned again. Don't see why you'd bother, if this was a serious question.
2017-06-20, 3:52 AM #23
On the other hand, look at the poll result. The people are chanting, and their message is clear. Let him loose! Give him a chance! I think we can all accept at this point that Koobie has erred in his ways on this forum, but it's time for a fresh start for he and our common journey. Is it not high time for this man, Koobie, to be given the benefit of the doubt and restored into the community for as long as he should this time choose to abide by its rules? As far as I can see, we have little to lose. I'd rather have Jon`C around than Koobie, if I'm being honest, but I'm sure the former will stick around based on the guarantee that Koobie will be kept in check either willingly or otherwise. That'll be on Koobie to determine which way we will need to go.

I say unban. The people say unban. Brian, please hear this plea! For long enough Koobie has been kept away for his ill actions. Many a winter has turned to spring, and many a spring has made way for summer. And here we are, in the summer of the year 2017, and I implore you: let not another autumn come without its winds sighing the virtues of solidarity, forgiveness, and a new beginning for us all. Together.
2017-06-20, 5:51 AM #24
The people are chanting, and their message is clear. Give Backup Base 1.1 a chance!

Brian, please hear this plea! For long enough has JG_JiggaJagga not received the recognition and glory that he has always deserved. Many a slab of meat and doughs of flour have turned into ham sandwich, and many a NAME YOUR PRICE has made way for VIRTUAL STUDIO ABUSE ON BANDCAMP, BUY THE ENTIRE COLLECTION OF ABUSE OF THE VIRTUAL STUDIO VARIETY FOR 25 US CENTS. And here we are, in the summer of the year 2017, and I implore you: let not another autumn come without its winds sighing the virtues of solidarity, forgiveness, and a new beginning for Backup Base 1.1.

Together.
2017-06-20, 6:41 AM #25
God damn it FGR!
2017-06-20, 9:48 AM #26
Sure, unban him. If he misbehaves, it'll be easy enough to ban him again.

It's true that in his last period here, he was overly active and pushing his writing, but before that phase, he was always fun to have around.

I somehow doubt he'd be interested in posting here again after all this time.

But I thought the same thing of Wookie and he's here, so yeah.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2017-06-20, 3:19 PM #27
With every post, I get the feeling more and more that each of Nikumubeki's posts is an increasingly desperate cry that we, in fact, ought instead "ban FGR".

I mean, nobody would seriously suggest we actually do that, but I can't help but recognize a clear streak of masochism in the man.
2017-06-20, 4:46 PM #28
I mean... https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?67781-Massassi-Bread-Parade-New-Forum-Structure
I had a blog. It sucked.
2017-06-21, 5:36 AM #29
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
With every post, I get the feeling more and more that each of Nikumubeki's posts is an increasingly desperate cry that we, in fact, ought instead "ban FGR".

I mean, nobody would seriously suggest we actually do that, but I can't help but recognize a clear streak of masochism in the man.

I think there should be a poll on the subject.
2017-06-21, 11:55 AM #30
please change my title to ban fgr
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2017-06-21, 2:09 PM #31
Nobody ever says fastgamerr anymore. Or however you spelled that exactly. Pretty sure about the double r somehow.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2017-06-21, 10:07 PM #32
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
Nobody ever says fastgamerr anymore. Or however you spelled that exactly. Pretty sure about the double r somehow.

You can spell corrpse anyway you like.
2017-07-19, 1:25 AM #33
no
in fact ban him again
double ban
2017-07-19, 8:03 AM #34
I reached out to Koobie and asked if he'd be interested in coming back. If he is, I'll unban him. If anyone has a problem with something he posts AFTER he gets unbanned, instead of lashing out here, just shoot me PM and I'll take care of it. It would be nice if this place could be civil.
2017-07-19, 8:09 AM #35
Will you make Backup Base 1.1 the permanent Level of the Week while at it?
2017-07-19, 8:31 AM #36
Request denied.

Levels of the week are chosen based on votes. Voting got removed when I took back over (it wasn't working anyway and had some huge security holes). Therefore, LotW will never change. Unless I feel like changing it by inserting false votes. But I don't.
2017-07-19, 8:34 AM #37
2017-07-19, 9:27 AM #38
Well, if anything, in two days we can congratulate Shred18 for having JKE as the Level of the 10-Year-Long-Week:

https://www.massassi.net/levels/lotw/
2017-07-19, 9:33 AM #39
Originally posted by Brian:
Request denied.

Levels of the week are chosen based on votes. Voting got removed when I took back over (it wasn't working anyway and had some huge security holes). Therefore, LotW will never change. Unless I feel like changing it by inserting false votes. But I don't.

Since when did Brian become the man?? :p
former entrepreneur
2017-07-19, 9:40 AM #40
He's like an inverse Darth Vader.

"Brian, how about a new LOTW?"
"LOTW is decided by voting"
"But... you haven't been able to vote for LOTW in years"
"Yeah, and I disabled them for good."
"So just make a new LOTW without any voting process."
"And put in a whole bunch of false votes? Forget it"

↑ Up to the top!