Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 641 to 680 of 728

Thread: What are you listening to these days?

  1. #641
    You probably should!

  2. #642


    The lyrics have an interesting backstory here, given Freddy Mercury's sexuality:

    "Freddie's stuff was so heavily cloaked, lyrically," May recalls. "But you could find out, just from little insights, that a lot of his private thoughts were in there, although a lot of the more meaningful stuff was not very accessible. Lily of the Valley [Sheer Heart Attack] was utterly heartfelt. It's about looking at his girlfriend and realising that his body needed to be somewhere else. It's a great piece of art, but it's the last song that would ever be a hit."
    https://www.brianmay.com/queen/mojoa...ojoaug99b.html

  3. #643


    Ah, here is another of Freddie's lyrically cloaked songs. So vague, so ambiguous.

    You say you hungry
    I give you MEAT
    sniff

  4. #644

  5. #645
    sniff

  6. #646
    Doesn't care what his title is
    Christmas Cardmaker Extrordinarie

    Posts
    5,178
    WTF Spook

  7. #647
    too tonal

  8. #648
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,789

  9. #649
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    WTF Spook
    My favorite part is the quote from 4'33"
    sniff

  10. #650
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,789
    tbf, there's good reason to laugh at pretentious music, but, on the flipside, if there was nothing to listen to apart from the same pop chord structures I'd smash every pair of headphones I own. everything in its proper place

    4'33" is funnier as a joke, which is what it should be thought of as. when people try to take things which are just silly and funny and butter them up with pretension grease i eye roll.

  11. #651
    i dont think you really have the academic background to understand it and take it seriously based on that post have you read foucalt?
    sniff

  12. #652
    Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Posts
    11,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    4'33" is funnier as a joke, which is what it should be thought of as.
    ooOOof

  13. #653
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,789
    oooh wow you see it challenges our conceptions of music doesn't it? take that to your philosophy 101 professor idiot

  14. #654
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    tbf, there's good reason to laugh at pretentious music, but, on the flipside, if there was nothing to listen to apart from the same pop chord structures I'd smash every pair of headphones I own. everything in its proper place

    4'33" is funnier as a joke, which is what it should be thought of as. when people try to take things which are just silly and funny and butter them up with pretension grease i eye roll.
    You can be pretentious and use the same pop chord structure at the same time!


  15. #655
    Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Posts
    11,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    oooh wow you see it challenges our conceptions of music doesn't it? take that to your philosophy 101 professor idiot
    It does, man. Did some pretentious music theory major in undergrad annoy you or something? If John Cage was a smarmy ************ who was smugly grinning about pulling one over on people, or if he was a snobby prick who overstated his own importance or something, fine, but I'm not aware of him being so.

    I'm not saying 4:33 is some earth-shakingly profound moment in the history of music, but it is interesting, and it did and does make people question the art form and the nature of performing or listening to live music, etc. Oy...

  16. #656
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by saberopus View Post
    It does, man. Did some pretentious music theory major in undergrad annoy you or something? If John Cage was a smarmy ************ who was smugly grinning about pulling one over on people, or if he was a snobby prick who overstated his own importance or something, fine, but I'm not aware of him being so.

    I'm not saying 4:33 is some earth-shakingly profound moment in the history of music, but it is interesting, and it did and does make people question the art form and the nature of performing or listening to live music, etc. Oy...
    Maybe it's just me, but it's not as if I hadn't realized before what my expectation was when listening to a music piece. To do something different like that didn't really challenge any notion I held. It's more like, "alright, here's a performance art piece". It's not like I'm unfamiliar with listening to noise as an artistic experience. I never really saw that message as "profound", it seems obvious as all hell that we contextualize what we think of as music into certain actions that are ultimately arbitrary.


  17. #657

  18. #658
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but it's not as if I hadn't realized before what my expectation was when listening to a music piece. To do something different like that didn't really challenge any notion I held. It's more like, "alright, here's a performance art piece". It's not like I'm unfamiliar with listening to noise as an artistic experience. I never really saw that message as "profound", it seems obvious as all hell that we contextualize what we think of as music into certain actions that are ultimately arbitrary.
    Whew, I guess we can save all the work of giving anyone else experiences so long as Reid has figured it out. Burn all the copies of Nietzche Reid's understanding obviates any need for anyone to experience or appreciate it!

    sniff

  19. #659
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Too deep for me man. I can't even handle the deep philosophy of this piece. It blows my mind that something so eloquent could exist.

  20. #660
    Straw woman, I posted that for kicks.

  21. #661
    I actually don't really know how to feel about Yoko Ono. I am sure that somebody out there considers her stuff art, so I don't want to hate on her. But there have got to be better examples of the avante-garde that don't also leave you deaf.

  22. #662
    Anyway, let's try not to be art Nazis!

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Hitler
    Anyone who sees and paints a sky green and fields blue ought to be sterilized.
    (possibly a fake quote)
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 02-17-2019 at 08:40 PM.

  23. #663
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Anyway, let's try not to be art Nazis!

    (possibly a fake quote)
    Apparently semi-real:

    Among the paintings submitted here, I have seen many a work where one must in fact assume that the eye shows some people things very differently from the way they are, that is, that there really are men who see the shapes of our people today only as degenerate cretins, who fundamentally sense – or, as they might say: experience – meadows as blue, the sky as green, clouds as sulfur-yellow, and so on. I do not wish to get into an argument over whether or not these individuals truly see and sense it that way. Instead, in the name of the German people I merely want to prohibit these pitiful unfortunates, whose eyesight is clearly suffering, from trying to coercively con their fellow humans into accepting the results of their misconceptions as reality, let alone presenting it to them as “art.”
    He doesn't call for sterilization explicitly but yeah it kind of verges on that.

    In any case I'm fine with 4'33 existing. I don't think it's all that deep or meaningful.

  24. #664
    Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Posts
    11,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Too deep for me man. I can't even handle the deep philosophy of this piece. It blows my mind that something so eloquent could exist.
    This is kind of embarassing, Reid. Imagine someone replying like this to every time you wax philosophical about parabolas or something. Yeesh.

  25. #665
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,789
    I'd probably deserve it.

  26. #666

  27. #667
    I think there's more to art than philosophy. To be fair, you have a lot of patience to enjoy 4'33", but I just watched a performance of the piece and found it to be pretty good.


  28. #668
    Scratch that, that was a terrible performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by John Cage
    They missed the point. There's no such thing as silence. What they thought was silence, because they didn't know how to listen, was full of accidental sounds. You could hear the wind stirring outside during the first movement. During the second, raindrops began pattering the roof, and during the third the people themselves made all kinds of interesting sounds as they talked or walked out.

  29. #669
    I like the Death Metal cover.

    Sorry for the lousy German

  30. #670
    Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Posts
    11,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I'd probably deserve it.

  31. #671
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,789

  32. #672
    Doesn't care what his title is
    Christmas Cardmaker Extrordinarie

    Posts
    5,178

  33. #673

  34. #674


    sniff

  35. #675
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Her image changed.

  36. #676
    sniff

  37. #677
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Her image changed.
    It did. It almost seems like a full circle thing though:

    sniff

  38. #678
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    It did. It almost seems like a full circle thing though:

    Huh, never saw her early music career. Guess she attended NYU for a bit from her Wikipedia. You learn something new every day.

    It's pretty good, too.

  39. #679

  40. #680
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Huh, never saw her early music career. Guess she attended NYU for a bit from her Wikipedia. You learn something new every day.

    It's pretty good, too.
    sniff

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •