Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Why are you afraid of hackers?
Why are you afraid of hackers?
2017-08-03, 1:33 PM #1
Is it because...
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2017-08-03, 1:35 PM #2
...they use sophisticated criminal communications tools such as IRC
2017-08-03, 1:46 PM #3
what's the margin of error on this poll?
former entrepreneur
2017-08-03, 1:47 PM #4
They're unamerican, which is the worst thing you can possibly be.
2017-08-03, 1:52 PM #5
But what if they work for the USG? :confused:
2017-08-03, 1:53 PM #6
There are HACKERS working for the US GOVERNMENT?!?
2017-08-03, 2:25 PM #7
WE GOT BIN LADEN!

https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?59040-Bin-Laden-is-Bin-Deaden&highlight=bin+laden
former entrepreneur
2017-08-03, 2:57 PM #8
Originally posted by Reid:
They're unamerican, which is the worst thing you can possibly be.

Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
But what if they work for the USG? :confused:

I think Reid was clear
2017-08-03, 2:59 PM #9
Hackers are just annoying *******s. The real threat's all the businessmen putting computers in **** that doesn't need them
2017-08-03, 3:19 PM #10
**** you jonc if my toothbrush doesn't ping me every week to pick up a replacement $15 head how am I supposed to lie to my dentist about brushing my teeth?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2017-08-03, 3:24 PM #11
It's not a real car unless the CIA can remotely drive me into a concrete wall at 90 mph.
2017-08-03, 3:41 PM #12
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It's not a real car unless the CIA can remotely drive me into a concrete wall at 90 mph.

This is actually one of my biggest fears concerning self driving cars. Not that someone might kill me (or someone else) with it, but that it is always connected and transmitting everything I do and say to some "cloud". I do not ever want to have something like the Amazon Echo. But I do want to have a self driving car. But what should I do if I can only get the two combined?
Sorry for the lousy German
2017-08-03, 3:51 PM #13
Don't worry, you'll probably never have to worry about it.
2017-08-03, 4:37 PM #14
As a cyclist who has annoyed many a driver not used to looking out for cyclists, I greatly look forward to cantankerous old men who cuss at me for taking my right of way being replaced with autopilots who will in all likelihood be programmed to yield to even the most obnoxious cyclists.

Anyway, back to the thread topic of hackers:

Quote:
A Caltrans spokesperson says the sign was put out as part of the Pioneer Bridge Project. The sign doesn’t appear to have been broken into; Caltrans is investigating how the sign was changed.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/08/03/hacked-sign-trump-herpes/
2017-08-03, 4:45 PM #15
Quote:
Caltrans says their signs are locked with a S E C R E T P A S S W O R D, so they are looking into how their signs were changed.

2017-08-03, 5:37 PM #16
I greatly look forward to cantankerous old men who cuss at me for taking my right of way being replaced with autopilots

Probably never going to happen, don't worry about it.
2017-08-03, 8:52 PM #17
I have herpes. soemtimes.
2017-08-03, 9:09 PM #18
Yeah, of all things to put on the sign, that was sorta innocuous, given how widespread it is, how harmless it is, and also of course that most kids get it smack on the kisser at some point.

"Donald Trump has late-stage syphilis" packs a bit more punch
2017-08-03, 9:11 PM #19
(but maybe that didn't fit on the sign)
2017-08-03, 9:17 PM #20
Which hackers we're talking about? The overhyped Russians who didn't even hack the popular vote properly, thus taking away my Four-Year Christmas?

Peasants!

... pheasants!

[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Pheasant.jpg/1200px-Pheasant.jpg]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-08-04, 12:56 AM #21
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Which hackers we're talking about? The overhyped Russians who didn't even hack the popular vote properly, thus taking away my Four-Year Christmas?

I thought all hackers are Russions. Or was it the other way around?

Anyway, the enemy comes from the east!
Sorry for the lousy German
2017-08-05, 11:46 AM #22
Yeah, of all things to put on the sign, that was sorta innocuous, given how widespread it is, how harmless it is, and also of course that most kids get it smack on the kisser at some point.

"Donald Trump has late-stage syphilis" packs a bit more punch

only sluts and the pigs who **** them have herpes you ****lord
2017-08-05, 11:57 AM #23
[https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=27498&d=1501959406]
2017-08-05, 11:58 AM #24
Grab `em by the herpes
2017-08-05, 11:59 AM #25
Quote:
Anyway, the enemy comes from the east!

Diablo II
2017-08-05, 12:02 PM #26
http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/sensors/slight-street-sign-modifications-can-fool-machine-learning-algorithms

Quote:
The upshot here is that slight alterations to an image that are invisible to humans can result in wildly different (and sometimes bizarre) interpretations from a machine learning algorithm. These "adversarial images" have generally required relatively complex analysis and image manipulation, but a group of researchers from the University of Washington, the University of Michigan, Stony Brook University, and the University of California Berkeley have just published a paper showing that it's also possible to trick visual classification algorithms by making slight alterations in the physical world. A little bit of spray paint or some stickers on a stop sign were able to fool a deep neural network-based classifier into thinking it was looking at a speed limit sign 100 percent of the time.
2017-08-05, 12:06 PM #27
A woman at work yesterday told me she wants an IoT garage door opener. That is possibly the second to last thing I would suggest for internet connectivity, just behind the actual locks on my house.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2017-08-05, 12:41 PM #28
[https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=27499&d=1501962056]

I've come to the horrible realization that Spook might be my muse.

Gewd lard.
2017-08-05, 12:47 PM #29
Originally posted by Barack Obama:
You can put lipstick on a herpes

2017-08-05, 12:49 PM #30
On the other hand, will Brian ever fulfill the will of the most popular poll result?
2017-08-05, 1:12 PM #31
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
A woman at work yesterday told me she wants an IoT garage door opener. That is possibly the second to last thing I would suggest for internet connectivity, just behind the actual locks on my house.

The security won't be much worse than a radio one, but the reliability sure will be.
2017-08-05, 2:02 PM #32
Quote:
The difference between agile and Agile is the difference between a democratic republic and a Democratic Republic.

Pasting this here because

1.) it is insightful and
2.) it is at least 37% of the reason hackers are so scary rn
2017-08-05, 2:20 PM #33
http://www.paulgraham.com/gba.html
former entrepreneur
2017-08-05, 2:51 PM #34
I am much more afraid of software developers who use terms like ninja, guru, hacker, etc. to describe their profession than I am of actual hackers.
2017-08-05, 3:03 PM #35
If you're interested in software engineering essays, I strongly recommend Brook's The Mythical Man-Month. Despite being written in 1975, they are surprisingly less dated than many of pg's.
2017-08-05, 5:42 PM #36
Pg knows a lot but the tone of his articles strike me as kind of as BS. Like he only writes things down if they are outrageous enough in appearance to be worth his while in getting people to believe him.

Edit: wrong post
2017-08-05, 5:45 PM #37
Fred Brooks also write another book more recently called The Design of Design which might be a good follow-up.

That said I read from a major developer of open source software that the book mostly just depressed him.
2017-08-05, 5:56 PM #38
Quote:
A Generation Lost in the Bazaar

Quality happens only when someone is responsible for it.

Poul-Henning Kamp

Thirteen years ago, Eric Raymond's book The Cathedral and the Bazaar (O'Reilly Media, 2001) redefined our vocabulary and all but promised an end to the waterfall model and big software companies, thanks to the new grass-roots open source software development movement. I found the book thought provoking, but it did not convince me. On the other hand, being deeply involved in open source, I couldn't help but think that it would be nice if he was right.

The book I brought to the beach house this summer is also thought provoking, much more so than Raymond's (which it even mentions rather positively): Frederick P. Brooks's The Design of Design (Addison-Wesley Professional, 2010). As much as I find myself nodding in agreement and as much as I enjoy Brooks's command of language and subject matter, the book also makes me sad and disappointed

[...]

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2349257&ref=fullrss
2017-08-05, 6:37 PM #39
Which book? The Mythical Man-Month?

I guess I can see how it might depress some people, because what he wrote about in 1975 is just as true today, which of course means that management hasn't improved even a little in that time. However, if that's your only take away, you should read it again.

The lesson I learned - and in many cases, I don't think it's what Brooks intended, but it was what I learned anyway - is this: recognize that, in many senses, software development is inherently unmanageable, trying to manage it is only making things worse, and that you should stop trying to do it. Your best efforts should be spent on the people, not the development process.

Staggering amount of time's been wasted on "standup meetings" (all hands status report) and "estimates" (the worlds slowest random number generator), and all of the other stupid management decisions that live around that.
2017-08-05, 6:43 PM #40
TBQH that ACM article was mostly a guy's rant about how the open source community listened to Eric S Raymond instead of Fred Brooks, using GNU autotools as evidence. So he may or not just be ranting, but the rant is more that people aren't paying enough attention to Brooks rather than Brooks being fundamentally depressing.

The book he read that triggered the rant was the later one (Design of Design) but it's just a sequel.

Quote:
[...]

libtool's configure probes no fewer than 26 different names for the Fortran compiler my system does not have, and then spends another 26 tests to find out if each of these nonexistent Fortran compilers supports the -g option.

That is the sorry reality of the bazaar Raymond praised in his book: a pile of old festering hacks, endlessly copied and pasted by a clueless generation of IT "professionals" who wouldn't recognize sound IT architecture if you hit them over the head with it. It is hard to believe today, but under this embarrassing mess lies the ruins of the beautiful cathedral of Unix, deservedly famous for its simplicity of design, its economy of features, and its elegance of execution. (Sic transit gloria mundi, etc.)

One of Brooks's many excellent points is that quality happens only if somebody has the responsibility for it, and that "somebody" can be no more than one single person—with an exception for a dynamic duo. I am surprised that Brooks does not cite Unix as an example of this claim, since we can pinpoint with almost surgical precision the moment that Unix started to fragment: in the early 1990s when AT&T spun off Unix to commercialize it, thereby robbing it of its architects.

More than once in recent years, others have reached the same conclusion as Brooks. Some have tried to impose a kind of sanity, or even to lay down the law formally in the form of technical standards, hoping to bring order and structure to the bazaar. So far they have all failed spectacularly, because the generation of lost dot-com wunderkinder in the bazaar has never seen a cathedral and therefore cannot even imagine why you would want one in the first place, much less what it should look like. It is a sad irony, indeed, that those who most need to read it may find The Design of Design entirely incomprehensible. But to anyone who has ever wondered whether using m4 macros to configure autoconf to write a shell script to look for 26 Fortran compilers in order to build a Web browser was a bit of a detour, Brooks offers well-reasoned hope that there can be a better way.

↑ Up to the top!