Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Is it pointless to learn Java in TYOOL 2017?
Is it pointless to learn Java in TYOOL 2017?
2017-08-14, 6:16 AM #1
Some dude told me that a popular platform for creating these Android apps is called Android Studio and that Java is the language used.

I have an idea for an app that I'd like to create and then share with people for free. I also have a nearly endless amount of time to invest for as long as I live.

Tell me if and why this idea sucks. Of course, it's highly likely that I'll lose interest before I get nearly decent enough to cobble anything up. I'm not a very driven person except when I discover something that I truly enjoy. Right now I feel like giving this a go, though.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-08-14, 9:54 AM #2
I don't know anything specifically about android and I also don't know wtf a tyool is? But anyway from a "professional" point of view, at my company it's mandated that every new project use java unless you have supreme justification and documentation of such. Java is a really popular programming language so when you're done with your app you'll have skills that can transfer over to virtually everything else these days.
2017-08-14, 12:32 PM #3
TYOOL = The Year Of Our Lord
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-08-14, 12:38 PM #4
Can you be more specific about what you want to program?

Java is a commonly used language, so it's not pointless to learn. It's not the best choice for all projects though.
2017-08-14, 12:45 PM #5
You could also use React Native if you already know some JavaScript.
former entrepreneur
2017-08-14, 2:41 PM #6
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Some dude told me that a popular platform for creating these Android apps is called Android Studio and that Java is the language used.

I have an idea for an app that I'd like to create and then share with people for free of charge. I also have a nearly endless amount of time to invest for as long as I live.

Tell me if and why this idea sucks. Of course, it's highly likely that I'll lose interest before I get nearly decent enough to cobble anything up. I'm not a very driven person except when I discover something that I truly enjoy. Right now I feel like giving this a go, though.

For a second I thought your signature was part of the post and was perplexed, lol. How much programming do you already know? There shouldn't be much to learn if you're familiar with object oriented programming.
2017-08-14, 3:03 PM #7
> object oriented programming

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm a first year programming student at an Ivy League school and I've just finished my Visual Basic classes. This term I'll be moving onto C++. However I've noticed some issues with C++ that I'd like to discuss with the rest of the programming community. Please do not think of me as being technically ignorant. In addition to VB, I am very skilled at HTML programming, one of the most challenging languages out there!

C++ is based on a concept known as Object Oriented Programming. In this style of programming (also known as OOPS in the coding community) a programmer builds "objects" or "glasses" out of his code, and then manipulates these "glasses". Since I'm assuming that you, dear reader, are as skilled at programming as I am, I'll skip further explanation of these "glasses".

Please allow me to make a brief aside here and discuss the origins C++ for a moment. My research shows that this language is one of the oldest languages in existance, pre-dating even assembly! It was created in the early 70s when AT&T began looking for a new language to write BSD, its Unix Operation System (later on, other companies would "borrow" the BSD source code to build both Solaris and Linux!) Interestingly, the name C++ is a pun by the creator of the language. When the first beta was released, it was remarked that the language would be graded as a C+, because of how hideously complex and unwieldy it was. The extra plus was tacked on during a later release when some of these issues were fixed. The language would still be graded a C, but it was the highest C possible! Truly a clever name for this language.

Back to the topic on hand, I feel that C++ - despite its flaws - has been a very valuable tool to the world of computers. Unfortunately its starting to show its age, and I feel that it should be retired as COBOL, ADA and Smalltalk seem to have been. Recently I've become aquainted with another language that's quite recently been developed. Its one that promises to greatly simplify programming. This new language is called C.

Although syntactically borrowing a great deal from its predecessor C++, C greatly simplifies things (thus its name, which hints at its simpler nature by striping off the klunky double-pluses.) Its biggest strength is that it abandons an OOPS-style of programming. No more awkward "objects" or "glasses". Instead C uses what are called structs. Vaguely similiar to a C++ "glass", a struct does away with anachonisms like inheiritance, namespaces and the whole private/public/protected/friend access issues of its variables and routines. By freeing the programmer from the requirement to juggle all these issues, the coder can focus on implementing his algorithm and rapidly developing his application.

While C lacks the speed and robustness of C++, I think these are petty issues. Given the speed of modern computers, the relative sluggishness of C shouldn't be an issue. Robustness and stability will occur as C becomes more pervasive amongst the programming community and it becomes more fine-tuned. Eventually C should have stablity rivalling that of C++.

I'm hoping to see C adopted as the de facto standard of programming. Based on what I've learned of this language, the future seems very bright indeed for C! Eventually, many years from now, perhaps we'll even see an operating system coded in this langauage.

Thank you for your time. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Egg Troll
2017-08-14, 4:16 PM #8
Undergrad me is not sure whether to be angry or laugh.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2017-08-14, 4:20 PM #9
That's expected. Circa 2002 when this was posted, Slashdot trolling was of of a kinder, gentler, more textual nature compared to the passive-aggressive and humorless strain that predominates the interwebs today.

Edit: probably something to do with the median age of sites like Youtube (14 IIRC) and 4chan dropping the total median like a stone relative to Slashdot and Usenet (college age). And now the 14 y.o. boys have their man in the W.H., but what are ya gonna do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then again, there are recent college grads at Google posting on an internal meme board modelled after icanhascheezburger, whereasa more literary format like everything2.com (Slashdot generation) would have sufficed in my mind.
2017-08-14, 5:39 PM #10
I can't tell if that's a jab at me or if you're just posting that funny bit.
2017-08-14, 5:41 PM #11
Nope! No jabs intended.
2017-08-15, 2:12 AM #12
I would not say Java is pointless as it will hopefully create a solid foundation for understanding object-based programming.

You may also find this course useful for the very basics: https://www.lynda.com/Programming-Foundations-tutorials/Foundations-Programming-Fundamentals/83603-2.html (Programming Fundamentals / Lynda)
幻術
2017-08-15, 2:34 AM #13
Basics:

Code:
10 PRINT "Hello world!"
20 GOTO 10
2017-08-15, 3:00 AM #14
Something always keeps dragging me back to Reverend Jones' post here.
Sorry for the lousy German
2017-08-15, 3:01 AM #15
Also, yes, learn Java. I don't see it going away.
Sorry for the lousy German
2017-08-20, 7:31 AM #16
Why is "tyool" even a thing? If it was a response to the silly creation of BCE and CE I would get it but that doesn't seem to fit the context I've seen it used in.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-08-20, 7:46 AM #17
I prefer another acronym starting with a T and including two Os (not in succession).
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-08-20, 11:42 AM #18
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Why is "tyool" even a thing? If it was a response to the silly creation of BCE and CE I would get it but that doesn't seem to fit the context I've seen it used in.

Google tells me it's only thus far caught on in the more sarcastic corners of the web (here, SA, HN, Reddit).

It's really just meant to point out how long in the tooth the item under discussion is by now, just like the phrase itself.

↑ Up to the top!