Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Let's impose a daily maximum number of posts.
Let's impose a daily maximum number of posts.
2017-08-19, 9:14 AM #1
Seriously. The sane among us and I would likely never come close to it. Or we can just limit two or three users which would effectively accomplish the same thing.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-08-19, 10:09 AM #2
Well don't be coy, it's okay to express your true thoughts instead of veiling them. It's also okay to post substance.
2017-08-19, 11:52 AM #3
Uh. Are there certain people who's behavior this policy is intended to moderate? Maybe it should be discussed with them personally.
former entrepreneur
2017-08-19, 11:58 AM #4
Where's the poll option?
2017-08-19, 12:03 PM #5
Would you impose a maximum number of times a face to face conversation switches between speakers? Because any thread that beings to resemble a chat will start to violate this.

I think a more appropriate limitation you might be imagining is the maximum number of posts in a row, either with respect to time or space. But even then those limits are usually put in place to discourage actual spam. At any rate, if that ever happened members could always just edit their most recent post into an omnibus post.
2017-08-19, 12:04 PM #6
Yeah... No.
2017-08-19, 12:06 PM #7
Daily reminder that Gmail has a filter option so that you can send notifications that specific users have posted to subscribed threads silently straight past your inbox.
2017-08-19, 12:07 PM #8
Originally posted by Eversor:
Uh. Are there certain people who's behavior this policy is intended to moderate? Maybe it should be discussed with them personally.

Yes.
2017-08-19, 12:13 PM #9
More relevant might be to penalize chronically off-topic posting, but honestly the moderators of this site don't have the resources to waste their time doing this, except to warn repeat offenders.

Nikumubeki brought up the inverse problem, in which too many posts were being made in the same on topic thread. This issue... well, it didn't go very far in terms of rallying people against it, perhaps because the most active posters around to discuss it were part of that thread. :P
2017-08-19, 1:25 PM #10
Oh, it was less "too many posts!" and more "let's isolate the Trump thread into its own section (not under the Discussion Forum, but as a separate section like Showcase) so I don't have to see it on the Discussion Forum".

(Would still be rather great, Brian!)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-08-19, 2:01 PM #11
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
More relevant might be to penalize chronically off-topic posting, but honestly the moderators of this site don't have the resources to waste their time doing this, except to warn repeat offenders.

Why, though? I don't know what behavior you'd be trying to dis-incentivize.
former entrepreneur
2017-08-19, 2:44 PM #12
I don't think we should do that.

But on many discussion forums with a bigger moderator staff (especially when the format of the board is Reddit-style, with arbitrary subthreading), this is fairly standard practice whenever an unrelated subthread overgrows its parent thread.
2017-08-19, 2:45 PM #13
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Oh, it was less "too many posts!" and more "let's isolate the Trump thread into its own section (not under the Discussion Forum, but as a separate section like Showcase) so I don't have to see it on the Discussion Forum".

(Would still be rather great, Brian!)

Maybe, but be sure to back it up first, in case something goes wrong and all the posts get deleted.

Actually I am glad Eversor started it, he's a nice and sensible guy, unlike some people who deleted their entire threads and took a huge number of replies with them.
2017-08-19, 3:09 PM #14
while u sleeping
i be posting
幻術
2017-08-19, 3:13 PM #15
What? This would be totally unnecessary.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-08-19, 3:29 PM #16
Conservatives tend to see things in terms of territory, and therefore recognize the importance of things like the fairness doctrine and equal airtime.

Oh wait
2017-08-19, 3:32 PM #17
Putting a limit on posting might be a little like taxing transactions. Of course, they are against it when it comes to capital, but for it if the transaction happens to occur between a minority and the ballot box.
2017-08-19, 9:35 PM #18
We need more posting not less. But good posting. So everybody, from now on, good posting only.
2017-08-19, 10:34 PM #19
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
unlike some people who deleted their entire threads and took a huge number of replies with them.

That was awesome.

Oh, and I still think that Backup Base 1.1 should be designated as the Permanent Level of the Week.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-08-20, 1:40 AM #20
Quote:
So everybody, from now on, good posting only.

Let me tell you, we've got some of the best posting here, you're never gonna believe it.
2017-08-20, 7:13 AM #21
I haven't looked at this thread on a desktop but I tagged it make massassi great again. And, no, I don't really want daily limits but the lack of self-control or maturity, in my opinion, makes this site less enjoyable. A member recently commented that we used to have a high SNR. I don't know if that is true or not but anyone that has taken a basic PowerPoint class should know that this forum has a very high NSR right now.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-08-20, 9:15 AM #22
What does PowerPoint have to do with it?
2017-08-20, 9:41 AM #23
Maybe what's noise to some people is signal to others?
2017-08-20, 11:34 AM #24
This channel does not deliver.
2017-08-20, 11:56 AM #25
Originally posted by Wookie06:
the lack of self-control or maturity, in my opinion, makes this site less enjoyable.

The more I squint at this statement, the more I am convinced that you have it exactly backwards.

Right up there with limiting posts, forcing us to "act maturely" is a sure way to kill any remaining reason to post here at all.
2017-08-20, 11:59 AM #26
Originally posted by Wookie06:
A member recently commented that we used to have a high SNR.

For the record, the two times you or I brought this up, it was no more than a thinnly veiled attack on another member.
2017-08-20, 12:19 PM #27
Guys, if you want this place to be better, it's simple:

former entrepreneur
2017-08-20, 2:14 PM #28
Guys, if you want this place to be better, it's simple:

Maybe what's excellent to some people is cruelty to others?
2017-08-20, 2:46 PM #29
Eversor, I think your other posts are excellent.

Spook said this place is a pub, but it's also an unsupervised schoolyard full of boys. Thankfully they are secretly adults so it's also a classroom, complete with your class clown, professors ranging from the nutty to the brilliant to the sardonic, and other students who just show up to vaguely follow along or ask annoying questions, interrupt, threaten other students, etc.

Seeing the screeching frogposters on /pol get dislodged from the position of resident bully, now with their man Bannon outside the W.H., has been one of the more satisfying developments.
2017-08-20, 3:06 PM #30
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Maybe what's excellent to some people is cruelty to others?

The tension between being excellent to each other, and the imperative to party on, dudes was a contradiction at the heart of the American idea from its beginning and throughout its history, and perhaps it is the very goal of the American project to determine whether these two principles can in fact be reconciled.
former entrepreneur
2017-08-20, 3:32 PM #31
The tension between being excellent to each other, and the imperative to party on, dudes was a contradiction at the heart of the American idea from its beginning and throughout its history, and perhaps it is the very goal of the American project to determine whether these two principles can in fact be reconciled.

I thought the American project was to jettison the entire need to solve the prisoner's dilemma (that here you say a resolution of which was at least attempted) by tax evasion, westward expansion, and leeching talent away from other nations via immigration until the cows come home.
2017-08-20, 3:49 PM #32
But I agree that one should try to be excellent to another, and that anybody who disagrees with this sentiment just for the sake of differing is poop.

↑ Up to the top!