Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Horror Recommendations
Horror Recommendations
2017-08-26, 11:40 PM #1
So my wife and I are very into horror. It's getting to the point where we feel like we've seen all the good ones. Are there any other fans around here that might have a suggestion for something obscure or different that we might like? We love most of the subgenres, and we also go out of our way to see the bad ones. B quality and below is fine!
2017-08-27, 5:23 AM #2
I assume you guys saw It Follows? That's one of the more known indie horrors of recent years, so you probably did see it already.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-08-27, 6:15 AM #3
Under the Shadow was decent and is possibly obscure enough for you: an Iranian djinn/ghost movie from 2016. Set in Tehran in the 1980s during the Iran-Iraq war, a woman and her daughter try to cope with staying in their city apartment as Iraqi missiles rain down each night. In the midst of all this, something starts to haunt the young daughter.
2017-08-27, 6:25 AM #4
Originally posted by Krokodile:
I assume you guys saw It Follows? That's one of the more known indie horrors of recent years, so you probably did see it already.

Absolutely loved It Follows, the concept is awesome and as a musician that movie actually was a huge inspiration for an album I did https://dkrefft.bandcamp.com/album/cryptadia

So, great suggestion, I just happen to already love that one! Thank you!
2017-08-27, 6:28 AM #5
Originally posted by Recusant:
Under the Shadow was decent and is possibly obscure enough for you: an Iranian djinn/ghost movie from 2016. Set in Tehran in the 1980s during the Iran-Iraq war, a woman and her daughter try to cope with staying in their city apartment as Iraqi missiles rain down each night. In the midst of all this, something starts to haunt the young daughter.

This has been on my radar. My wife is sometimes picky about movies with subtitles, though they don't bother me at all, and this movie has them ,right? I have almost watched it on my own a few times but if it's really that good I'll just tell her to get over it.

This is also a great answer, thank you!
2017-08-29, 7:28 AM #6
Haven't seen it, but my sister-in-law recommended Split the other day.
Sorry for the lousy German
2017-08-29, 10:12 AM #7
Are you only interested in movies/TV stuff for suggestions?
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2017-08-30, 2:33 PM #8
Originally posted by Impi:
Haven't seen it, but my sister-in-law recommended Split the other day.

I enjoyed Split, though it wasn't my favorite movie of all time or anything, it was certainly worth the watch. James McAvoy has a hell of a performance!
2017-08-30, 2:34 PM #9
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Are you only interested in movies/TV stuff for suggestions?

What did you have in mind? I'll take any suggestions!
2017-08-30, 3:25 PM #10
Ichi the Killer was pretty icky. Not sure I finished that one even. More gross-out than scary, but hey. Not that obscure I guess, but I'm not really into horror myself.
幻術
2017-08-30, 3:27 PM #11
Then there was this movie where a dude gets abducted and turned into a girl ... Antonio Banderas was in it? The Skin I Live In.
Not sure it qualifies as horror, but it was pretty ****ed up.
幻術
2017-08-30, 4:48 PM #12
Originally posted by Krefft:
What did you have in mind? I'll take any suggestions!

Well, I was largely thinking video games, of which I'd probably suggest Amnesia: The Dark Descent. If you have a Gamecube handy, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem did a good job at least back in the day of unnerving me with its "loss of sanity" effects (Amnesia does this a little, but not nearly to the same effect).
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2017-08-30, 7:56 PM #13
Originally posted by Koobie:
Ichi the Killer was pretty icky. Not sure I finished that one even. More gross-out than scary, but hey. Not that obscure I guess, but I'm not really into horror myself.

Originally posted by Koobie:
Then there was this movie where a dude gets abducted and turned into a girl ... Antonio Banderas was in it? The Skin I Live In.
Not sure it qualifies as horror, but it was pretty ****ed up.

I saw Ichi the Killer years ago, I definitely enjoyed that one. Takashi Miike has done some amazing movies, I also very much enjoyed Audition and his awesome cameo in Hostel just to name a few. As far as The Skin I Live In, I have not seen it, though a quick check on IMDB reveals a cover I recognize and an interesting synopsis. I think we'll give this a go soon. Thank you for these ideas!
2017-08-30, 7:58 PM #14
Originally posted by Gebohq:
Well, I was largely thinking video games, of which I'd probably suggest Amnesia: The Dark Descent. If you have a Gamecube handy, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem did a good job at least back in the day of unnerving me with its "loss of sanity" effects (Amnesia does this a little, but not nearly to the same effect).

I not played Amnesia personally, but my wife has a Twitch stream which I co-host and I sat through her entire playthrough. While I'm sure the experience of playing alone in the dark might be scarier, I feel like I got the gist. Amnesia was awesome! I HAVE personally played Eternal Darkness (I have a copy laying around someplace) and that game is a classic! A great recommendation, thank you!
2017-08-30, 9:27 PM #15
Tom Jubert is a talented writer / narrative designer. I wish him the best of professional success.
幻術

↑ Up to the top!