Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Older games (Splinter Cell 1) and Win10
Older games (Splinter Cell 1) and Win10
2017-09-11, 11:01 AM #1
So I've been watching a lot of the show 24 lately, and the other day I thought, "Hey, Jack Bauer is kinda like Sam Fisher. Sort of." Anyway, I own all of the series so far, and wanted to play through them all again (remembering that #1 was ridiculously hard).

It installed (although Windows wouldn't let it install DX9), but when I try to start the game nothing happens. Nothing at all.

I've Googled and haven't found anyone else with similar probs that were solved, and I've had 2 unfruitful chats with Ubi-techs.

Any ideas? Or can anyone point me in the right direction?
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2017-09-11, 11:11 AM #2
dgvoodoo, maybe? http://dege.freeweb.hu/

(At least for the first Splinter Cell, perhaps, I dunno)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-09-13, 3:35 AM #3
Try this:
https://www.gog.com/forum/splinter_cell_tom_clancys#1495065466

Sometimes useful stuff there, although I could not get my copy of Wing Commander IV to run after completing WCIII. :( Maybe now that I've a brand new OS (because at first it worked, and then it didn't). Video driver issues. I've enough Elite: Dangerous to last me a lifetime though, so not sure when I'll get around to trying again.
幻術
2017-09-13, 1:05 PM #4
Gog doesn't even list that as Windows 10 compatible on their site. I tend to avoid pc releases for console games anyway and I think I have all the Splinter Cells on Xbox/360. Been missing 24 lately too. I think I have all the 24 stuff except for the last two not 24 episode long seasons. I even picked up the PS2 game a short time back.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-09-14, 7:12 AM #5
I got it working. Not sure what finally got it to work, or if it was a combination of things but:

-WinXPSP3 compatibility
-Run as admin
-dgvoodoo wrappers
-DX9 distributables
-The 1.3 patch - which installs so UNintuitively (and no instructions), I never would have figured it out without finding the info on another site
-The Widescreen patch
-And a crapload of frustration and persistence.

Anyway after all that, it worked. Then I installed the hi-res textures. Looks a lot better.

Is it perfect? No, there are some odd artifacts on the side of the screen, but I figure it's a casualty of going widescreen. In-game cutscenes have strange black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, but it is still very playable and as fun as I remembered. :-)
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."

↑ Up to the top!