Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Street lights.
Street lights.
2017-09-17, 6:04 PM #1
Topic about street lights.

I live in NYC, and the NYC DOT replaced the sodium vapor street lights on my block a few months ago with LEDs ... but they didn't change the fixtures themselves. So the lights aren't shielded downward well. Not the mention the light color temperate is on the cool side (white-bluish). So my apartment gets a whitish glow at night, and I'm still not use to it. I'm sure it's messing with my sleep.

I've stayed at out of state places where warmer color, less intense LED lights were installed and I found them unobtrusive and generally non-problematic. I'm curious, do you guys live somewhere where LED street lights have been installed? If so, do those **** with your sleep?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2017-09-17, 6:40 PM #2
You need to move to a place that balances it out with warm temperature lighting.

2017-09-17, 10:39 PM #3
For a brief moment I thought this thread was gonna be about "Hey FGR, remember all those street lights you put in those DX levels that you made?".

Yes I did
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-09-17, 10:50 PM #4
You should make a Seinfeld TC, for JK.
2017-09-18, 3:42 AM #5
I don't have any problems with streetlights affecting my sleep. I just put up (well, down) my blinds.
Sorry for the lousy German
2017-09-18, 7:03 AM #6
@Jones:

2017-09-18, 7:09 AM #7
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
For a brief moment I thought this thread was gonna be about "Hey FGR, remember all those street lights you put in those DX levels that you made?".

Yes I did

bro
2017-09-18, 10:35 AM #8
Newman!
2017-09-18, 2:58 PM #9
[h=1]Florida men attempt to steal utility pole on top of car[/h][https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJndo6GWsAElBmC.jpg:small]
2017-09-18, 4:08 PM #10
Originally posted by Impi:
I don't have any problems with streetlights affecting my sleep. I just put up (well, down) my blinds.

Getting a bunch of blue light on your drive home after work is not going to help no matter how dark your room is. Though most people will be on their phone anyway so it hardly matters.

Cool temp street lights are ruining American culture
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2017-09-18, 4:27 PM #11
Yeah, that's what's ruining American culture.
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2017-09-19, 6:47 AM #12
Originally posted by saberopus:
bro

Careful, opie!
2017-09-19, 10:02 AM #13
Originally posted by Roger Spruce:
Yeah, that's what's ruining American culture.

Well since most of it is ground to dust already sodium orange parking lots and back alleys were pretty much all we had left.
2017-09-20, 12:42 AM #14
Originally posted by Spook:
Getting a bunch of blue light on your drive home after work is not going to help no matter how dark your room is. Though most people will be on their phone anyway so it hardly matters.

Cool temp street lights are ruining American culture

Do you fall into bed right as you get home? Man, I wish I could do that. But I've got to much to do when I get home.
Sorry for the lousy German
2017-09-20, 1:26 AM #15
Haha look at these people going to bed.
2017-09-20, 1:47 AM #16
I think that's the first time I laughed out loud at a Reid post.
2017-09-20, 7:13 AM #17
This thread does not deliver.
2017-09-20, 8:48 AM #18
Originally posted by Impi:
Do you fall into bed right as you get home? Man, I wish I could do that. But I've got to much to do when I get home.

Nah I wish, but I don't do anything with screens or non warm temp light for about an hour before bed. It's easy because I don't have internet or a phone with data. I also don't commute by car so that solves the headlights problem too.
2017-09-20, 9:45 AM #19
Ok fine, Spook, I'll make a sex tape with you. You've seduced me enough with your idiosyncracies.
2017-09-20, 9:55 AM #20
Originally posted by saberopus:
Ok fine, Spook, I'll make a sex tape with you. You've seduced me enough with your idiosyncracies.

Works on everybody eventually.
2017-09-20, 4:22 PM #21
Every time I read the thread title a song plays in my head: BIG CITY NIGHTS by Scorpions. :)
幻術
2017-09-20, 4:22 PM #22
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
This thread does not deliver.

幻術
2017-09-21, 1:44 AM #23
Koobie: 1
Other bozos on this thread: F--
2017-09-21, 3:27 AM #24
I think that's not the first time I ಠ_ಠ'ed at an FGR post.
2017-09-23, 10:30 AM #25
I live in the county (not within city limits) and in an effort to be more "green," they've been installing LEDs throughout the county since last year. I have a pole right in front of my house. I hate it. It's the same issue you're facing; they didn't change the fixture, just the lamp, so there is no shielding or reflectors to adjust direction. They just shoot this bright white light on my property. It's pretty dumb because it doesn't light up the street very well, and the light doesn't carry, so it really only illuminates my place. It's always daytime on my front yard.

I have to keep all of my streetward blinds closed now. My house is situated diagonally on the property and I have strategically placed bushes, so I used to be able to leave my blinds open without all the neighbors being able to see too much, but with the new LED lamps 20' in the air I have to keep them closed because the bright light is annoying. It's frustrating, because I live in a climate that is perpetually pleasant so I like leave my windows and blinds open whenever I'm home and get a nice cross-breeze thought the house. Even with the blinds closed or angled, I still get a funky glow from the gaps. I think I'm going to need to invest in some curtains or drapes, but most curtains and drapes just look old fashioned to me.

A possible good thing is I frequently park my car under the light and because it's pretty bright, maybe vandals or thieves are less likely to mess with it? It's also convenient being able to tell guests that "my house is the one that looks like an airport."
2017-09-24, 9:14 AM #26
Have you tried covering your windows in orange cellophane? At least it will be sleepier light then.

↑ Up to the top!