Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 50 people murdered in LV
50 people murdered in LV
2017-10-02, 4:49 AM #1
what the ****

:(

I do not even want to read about it now
and i cant anyway

I am additionally concerned how the US President might react

I am afraid of America
and for Americans, too
幻術
2017-10-02, 4:51 AM #2
this is very tragic.
my condolences to my American friends.
幻術
2017-10-02, 5:09 AM #3
[http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170717143455-02-gandhi-quotes-v4-super-169.jpg]
幻術
2017-10-02, 6:36 AM #4
I guess everyone handles this stuff in their own way, but there's something so frustrating to me about seeing that kind of meme being posted as a knee-jerk reaction to this kind of event.

No offense Koobs, I know you're a caring human being and you want as much as anyone to live in a world without these kinds of events.
2017-10-02, 6:46 AM #5
I guess I just agree with his sentiment.

We've got to say something. Sadness, yes, but lately all ends on the step of HATE (towards whoever done us wrong). So I guess it's important to stay positive
and all that.

i doubt i will have anything more to contribute to this thread
幻術
2017-10-02, 7:50 AM #6
It's amazing how much deadlier an attack can be when people put effort into planning it. It's a good thing most of these guys are stupid and impatient, but when you get the sort of person who is patient and reasonably clever, there's really nothing you can do about it.

It sounds like they are saying he has a machine gun. I wonder how he managed to get hold of that.
2017-10-02, 7:50 AM #7
Not much to say, really. The guy is dead, and the culture war debates will go on. Nothing's going to bring the dead back and nothing's going to change.

**** the media too for mentioning body counts and replaying the footage.
2017-10-02, 7:51 AM #8
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
It's amazing how much deadlier an attack can be when people put effort into planning it. It's a good thing most of these guys are stupid and impatient, but when you get the sort of person who is patient and reasonably clever, there's really nothing you can do about it.

It sounds like they are saying he has a machine gun. I wonder how he managed to get hold of that.

Anyone with an AR-15, machining tools and minimal competency at machining can create an automatic AR.
2017-10-02, 8:06 AM #9
Originally posted by Reid:
Anyone with an AR-15, machining tools and minimal competency at machining can create an automatic AR.

It's actually fairly difficult. You can cut off the retainer on the sear, causing it to slam fire when it returns, but this is very unreliable and will jam or blow up in your face after a few rounds. Doing it properly is fairly hard. Besides, it didn't sound to me like an AR-15, as it was too sustained and too slow. If I were to guess, it sounds like a proper light machine gun, but those are very, very hard to get.

It could also be a bump fire, which is legal, because gun regulations are written by idiots who don't know anything about guns.
2017-10-02, 8:18 AM #10
You would get something more reliable making an open bolt sub machine gun from scratch, though it wouldn't have the range. The fire control group on an AR isn't exactly simple, so I would say you would need to be at least an intermediate machinist and gunsmith to make a conversion like that reliable. I haven't listened to the audio but I read that he had like ten rifles, so he was probably just doing sustained fire with semi-automatic rifles he kept swapping. It almost doesn't matter in this kind of situation, full automatic or not you can **** a lot of people up. Any word on a manifesto, or did he just hate country music?
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2017-10-02, 10:32 AM #11
I think that perhaps instead of arguing about which rifle can kill the most people we should be more concerned with what we can do as individuals to contribute to a world without violence and war.
幻術
2017-10-02, 11:18 AM #12
Originally posted by Koobie:
I think that perhaps instead of arguing about which rifle can kill the most people we should be more concerned with what we can do as individuals to contribute to a world without violence and war.

That's very nice. I think it's kind of silly to pick one or the other, but do whatever floats or sinks your boat.
2017-10-02, 11:20 AM #13
Yeah it'd be horrible to discuss the actual events instead of waxing poetic about how great a global Nirvana would be. Let's post some more Gandhi quotes.

There's not much to talk about right now, at all, because there really hasn't been that much information released.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2017-10-02, 11:31 AM #14
This is pretty horrific. Probably the worst domestic mass shooting of civilians we've had.

They say he killed himself by gunshot, presumably to the head. Perhaps then we'll never learn from an autopsy that a tumor is compressing his amygdala.
2017-10-02, 11:31 AM #15
How about this one:

"I do not want to see the allies defeated. But I do not consider Hitler to be as bad as he is depicted. He is showing an ability that is amazing and seems to be gaining his victories without much bloodshed."

or

"They will honour Herr Hitler as genius, as a brave man, a matchless organizer and much more."
2017-10-02, 11:34 AM #16
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
This is pretty horrific. Probably the worst domestic mass shooting of civilians we've had.

They say he killed himself by gunshot, presumably to the head. Perhaps then we'll never learn from an autopsy that a tumor is compressing his amygdala.

Something like that seems to be likely given what is known so far of his fairly benign past.
2017-10-02, 11:44 AM #17
Reference for those who haven't read about the case I was alluding to.

Quote:
Following a three-hour hearing on August 5,[57] the Commission concluded that Chenar's finding had been in error.[58] They found that the tumor had features of a glioblastoma multiforme, with widespread areas of necrosis, palisading[further explanation needed] of cells.[55] and a "remarkable vascular component" described as having "the nature of a small congenital vascular malformation." Psychiatric contributors to the report concluded that "the relationship between the brain tumor and [...] Whitman's actions [...] cannot be established with clarity. However, the [...] tumor conceivably could have contributed to his inability to control his emotions and actions",[59] while the neurologists and neuropathologists concluded: "The application of existing knowledge of organic brain function does not enable us to explain the actions of Whitman on August first."[60]

Forensic investigators have theorized that the tumor may have been pressed against Whitman's amygdala, a part of the brain related to anxiety and fight-or-flight responses.[61][62]
2017-10-02, 12:23 PM #18
The last 48 hours have been horrible to me (I didn't know him personally, merely a huge fan of his work).
2017-10-02, 1:29 PM #19
**** i spoke too soon
2017-10-02, 2:24 PM #20
sorry for your losses
2017-10-02, 2:26 PM #21
TBH I only listen to Tom Petty's old stuff.

Mathematics, on the other hand, suffers quite a bit with Vladimir gone early. The guy was a modern day Hilbert charting new territory and with a massive vision for future research. Others will carry on his program of Homotopy Type Theory and Univalent Foundations, but he was the creative force behind it. 51 is a very young age for a mathematician to die. Vladimir Voevodsky was awarded the Field's medal in 2002, which is the highest formal award a mathematician can be given. It is reserved for researchers under the age of 40.
2017-10-02, 3:24 PM #22
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
51 is a very young age for a mathematician to die.

In fact, if you put 5 and 1 together, that's just 6.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-10-02, 3:40 PM #23
Originally posted by Krokodile:
In fact, if you put 5 and 1 together, that's just 6.

Well, he was working on formalizing mathematics with different notions of equality than what we were taught in school.

Quote:
... two classes of equalities in the theories used to formalize [Univalent Foundations] - substitutional equalities and transportational equalities. The concept of transportational equality is the adaptation to the precise requirements of a formal theory of the philosophical equality principle going back to Leibniz. The concept of the substitutional equality is the one that we all learn at school. In the original formal system used for the Univalent Foundations there was one trans- portational and one substitutional equality. In the more complex formal systems that are being studied now there can be several equalities of each class

Maybe we were all lied to in school. There are no algebra mistakes, only alternative equal signs.

Mainstream schools have been ramming the left wing tyranny of math down our children's throats for long enough.
2017-10-02, 4:38 PM #24
Originally posted by Koobie:

No offense but getting stoned and writing about global peace doesn't do much to help people.

Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Yeah it'd be horrible to discuss the actual events instead of waxing poetic about how great a global Nirvana would be. Let's post some more Gandhi quotes.

There's not much to talk about right now, at all, because there really hasn't been that much information released.

There probably won't be that much even after information has been released. Guy probably has a history of some violence, or not, either way he's most likely yet another resentful loser who decides old fashioned suicide isn't good enough.
2017-10-02, 4:42 PM #25
It's actually fairly difficult. You can cut off the retainer on the sear, causing it to slam fire when it returns, but this is very unreliable and will jam or blow up in your face after a few rounds. Doing it properly is fairly hard. Besides, it didn't sound to me like an AR-15, as it was too sustained and too slow. If I were to guess, it sounds like a proper light machine gun, but those are very, very hard to get.

Originally posted by Spook:
You would get something more reliable making an open bolt sub machine gun from scratch, though it wouldn't have the range. The fire control group on an AR isn't exactly simple, so I would say you would need to be at least an intermediate machinist and gunsmith to make a conversion like that reliable. I haven't listened to the audio but I read that he had like ten rifles, so he was probably just doing sustained fire with semi-automatic rifles he kept swapping. It almost doesn't matter in this kind of situation, full automatic or not you can **** a lot of people up. Any word on a manifesto, or did he just hate country music?

Y'all would know more than I about that stuff, so I'll take your word for it.

It could also be a bump fire, which is legal, because gun regulations are written by idiots who don't know anything about guns.

True that, the ban even on fully auto weapon doesn't make much sense to me.
2017-10-02, 5:39 PM #26
From what I hear the guy was a multi-millionaire, so he could likely legally get his hands on whatever he wanted. That's one of those scenarios like the suicidal airline pilot, that you just have to be glad is rare.
2017-10-02, 6:44 PM #27
Indeed, rare and hard to stop. A little like when a billionaire beca--dammit, FGR!
2017-10-02, 7:17 PM #28
It's not popular, but I think you have to draw the line somewhere at trying to find a perfect solution for stopping certain kinds of terrorism. For example, 9/11 was bad, but it's not going to be possible for passengers to take control of a plane like that again, and I'd rather accept the tiny risk of being killed by a terrorist on my flight than deal with the TSA every time I fly.
2017-10-02, 11:37 PM #29
Originally posted by Spook:
That's very nice. I think it's kind of silly to pick one or the other, but do whatever floats or sinks your boat.

I didn't mean to offend.

I like shooting guns as much as the next guy, and if they were legal in my country, would probably own a few.

I just really feel like we're coming to a time where faking ignorance is no longer an option.

The world is much more civilized / peaceful than 200 years ago, minus a few nutjobs and collapsed states, states ruled by Sharia law, or states without proper cultural or technological development (much of Africa, Pakistan, etc.)

It appears obvious to me that the current world order is not sustainable in the long run.

Perhaps I am worried for nothing, and somehow it will all come together, but it appears to me that now that we have the internet, now that we are no longer disconnected by language, or distance, we ought to take that gift and do something with it other than posting pictures of cats or of our Earthly leaders, negotiating which country gets the next trillion dollars and which one doesn't.

I don't have the time to read through the thread currently but I'm happy it changed direction a little bit.

Have a nice day today.
幻術
2017-10-02, 11:43 PM #30
Quote:
But to me it appears obvious that the current world order is not sustainable in the long run.

capitalism
2017-10-02, 11:44 PM #31
As for the massacre, it's been a while since an American personally committed an atrocity of this scale with a firearm. AFAIK you'll have to go back to Vietnam for examples.
2017-10-02, 11:46 PM #32
And yeah, I just compared our political situation to a war zone, complete with massacres against civilians. gg America
2017-10-02, 11:46 PM #33
gg humansssssses
幻術
2017-10-03, 12:52 AM #34
We have different perspectives on the world.

I would not fight for my country.

I have a Russian passport, but Russia is as much my country as Hungary or Cyprus.

I wouldn't know which country to fight for.

I understand why people may hate hippies.

We condemn war and violence one people commit upon others. During these wars, people see and experience what are rightfully referred to as

'the horrors of war'

I've watched an ISIS execution video on the internet once, a young Syrian soldier was put on a highway road and then ran over by a tank. His feet were tied, and he tried to hop away at the last minute. They filmed the whole thing and cheered on as they watched, and then filmed what was left of him.

And that's not even close to the worst of it.

Make one human being forced to kill another, and, somewhere along the way, good men will break.
幻術
2017-10-03, 1:54 AM #35
Originally posted by Reid:
There probably won't be that much even after information has been released. Guy probably has a history of some violence, or not, either way he's most likely yet another resentful loser who decides old fashioned suicide isn't good enough.

He came to being a murderer gradually.

It's not popular, but I think you have to draw the line somewhere at trying to find a perfect solution for stopping certain kinds of terrorism. For example, 9/11 was bad, but it's not going to be possible for passengers to take control of a plane like that again, and I'd rather accept the tiny risk of being killed by a terrorist on my flight than deal with the TSA every time I fly.

Wut?

I'll tolerate doing my part taking my shoes off every time I get on a plane and taking my laptop out of its sleeve if it means that fewer people will die every year from aviation related terrorist attacks.
former entrepreneur
2017-10-03, 3:21 AM #36
Originally posted by Eversor:
I'll tolerate doing my part taking my shoes off every time I get on a plane and taking my laptop out of its sleeve if it means that fewer people will die every year from aviation related terrorist attacks.

The TSA has never stopped a terrorist attack. They routinely fail to detect contraband in tests. They are ineffective and serve no actual purpose.

Even if they were effective, security screenings have a real cost in person years which is certainly greater than the loss of human life due to terrorism that would happen otherwise.
2017-10-03, 3:32 AM #37
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The TSA has never stopped a terrorist attack.

It's impossible to know whether this is true.
former entrepreneur
2017-10-03, 3:57 AM #38
It's impossible to know whether this is true.

The TSA doesn't claim to have stopped any. It's a $7.5 billion a year boondoggle that has achieved exactly zero wins since they were founded, and many miserable defeats:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/06/08/homeland_security_audit_finds_tsa_didn_t_catch_73_terrorism_linked_airport.html

The above implying that terrorists aren't avoiding airports because they are scared of the TSA, but rather that the TSA isn't detecting them. Just like how the TSA misses weapons and explosives in spot checks.

It's true that you can't prove a negative. You can't say for sure that terrorist attacks haven't been foiled simply because the TSA was there. But that's a poor argument. The onus is on the TSA to justify their expense, not vice versa.
2017-10-03, 4:01 AM #39
If the TSA had stopped a terrorist attack, you guys don't think we would have heard about it by now? I could be wrong, but I don't think they are some super secret kind of organization, but in fact one that would love to toot its own horn at the first opportunity.
2017-10-03, 7:20 AM #40

Why? The expected amount of time that you would need to be waste taking off your shoes before those measures prevent your death greatly exceeds your lifespan.

Everything is a trade-off. You could make the speed limit 15mph everywhere, and you'd reduce fatalities, but you couldn't live your life properly. You could enforce draconian alcohol laws to reduce drunk driving deaths, but you probably wouldn't want that.

If you're going spend your life arbitrarily chasing every possible reduction in risk, you're basically just wasting it. Risk happens, and our ability to judge relative amounts of small risk is so poor that you may as well not even try. You'll just end up obsessing over one risk, while ignoring another that's several orders of magnitude higher.

↑ Up to the top!