Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Blade Runner
Blade Runner
2017-10-08, 1:16 PM #1
Who's seen it? Who's going to see it?
former entrepreneur
2017-10-08, 1:20 PM #2
Yeah, I've seen it several times.

I also went to see the sequel, Blade Runner 2049, yesterday.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-10-08, 1:44 PM #3
Is Harrison Ford still a great actor?
former entrepreneur
2017-10-08, 1:48 PM #4
The real question is: can he still handle wood?
2017-10-08, 3:10 PM #5
I've seen the original like five times, but always the Director's Cut. I really ought to watch the Final Cut.

I'd love to see the new Blade Runner, but I can't justify going to the movie theater since it makes no difference if I see it now or in 6 months.
2017-10-08, 4:15 PM #6
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
The real question is: can he still handle wood?

Or fly planes?! Don't spoil anything for me.
former entrepreneur
2017-10-08, 4:31 PM #7
Despite his age, I'm going to hazard a guess that Harrison Ford at least still remembers how to fly cars (I could never get it down).
2017-10-08, 4:41 PM #8
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
I can't justify going to the movie theater since it makes no difference if I see it now or in 6 months.

What a fascinating mindset.
2017-10-08, 4:42 PM #9
It's the best Harrison Ford performance in recent memory. Better than The Force Awakens, better than, er, Ender's Game.
2017-10-08, 4:53 PM #10
Originally posted by saberopus:
What a fascinating mindset.

I think I first saw Jon`C say something to this effect, but at any rate I had already long ago internalized it myself as a consequence of being poor and busy.
2017-10-08, 5:06 PM #11
Actually in his case I think it was that the movie theater wasn't high quality enough. And more expensive.

But not to derail the topic of the thread....
2017-10-08, 5:39 PM #12
I've seen the original like five times, but always the Director's Cut. I really ought to watch the Final Cut.

I've watched the version where there was no narration by Harrison Ford (as Deckard) so I can't imagine the narration added anything.

The trailer for the new one establishes that Deckard was a replicant right away. Kinda feel like that takes away from the point of the first movie's really slow buildup... unless I'm missing something?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2017-10-08, 5:47 PM #13
I thought the fan consensus was that, per the extended unicorn dream in the Director's Cut, we might as well assume he is a replicant. At the very least strongly suspect it.

Re: the Final Cut: this is not the version with narration, but a reworking of the 90's-era Director's Cut by Ridley Scott in 2007. Supposedly the best / highest fidelity version, and actually likely the one that many people here have seen.
2017-10-08, 6:09 PM #14
My consensus too. So I guess the new movie (haven't seen it yet) needed Deckard to be established terra firma as a replicant for plot purposes. It seems Ridley Scott is quite adamant about this.

I haven't read the book, but I wonder what is the "need" to make Deckard a replicant for the original Blade Runner. Does the unicorn stuff add to film in some real way?
2017-10-08, 6:18 PM #15
The trailer confirmed Deckard was a replicant? Must have missed that one. The movie leaves it up in the air, though it does at least directly raise the question of whether he is or isn't.
2017-10-08, 6:21 PM #16
I thought the fan consensus was that, per the extended unicorn dream in the Director's Cut, we might as well assume he is a replicant. At the very least strongly suspect it.

Re: the Final Cut: this is not the version with narration, but a reworking of the 90's-era Director's Cut by Ridley Scott in 2007. Supposedly the best / highest fidelity version, and actually likely the one that many people here have seen.

The Final Cut is great. The theatrical cut is just... agh, the narration is terrible.

AFAIK, Dick said Deckard was human, Scott said Deckard was a replicant, and Villeneuve, well, who knows, but 2049 doesn't lay out an explicit answer, at least.
2017-10-08, 7:15 PM #17
The trailer confirmed Deckard was a replicant? Must have missed that one.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the "I had your job once" and "we were being hunted" Ford dialog from the trailers.
2017-10-08, 7:31 PM #18
I'm going to see it when I get a chance.
2017-10-08, 7:43 PM #19
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Maybe I'm reading too much into the "I had your job once" and "we were being hunted" Ford dialog from the trailers.

Oh, yeah. The "we were being hunted" does imply that, but in context it doesn't necessarily mean that he was a replicant.
2017-10-09, 5:02 AM #20
I'm seeing it tomorrow, I've only seen the first one once, and that was the Final Cut in a cinema about 2 years ago.

I like Harrison Ford but I think the last film I saw where he didn't phone it in was Air Force One.
nope.
2017-10-09, 10:03 AM #21
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I've watched the version where there was no narration by Harrison Ford (as Deckard) so I can't imagine the narration added anything.

Narration was the theatrical version that preceded the Director's Cut. I probably haven't watched it that way since I saw it in the theaters. I should just go ahead and watch all three versions in order of release but that does seem somewhat punishing. Only thing I really remember from the theatrical version that stands out is Ford and the replichick driving away together at the end. Oh, spoiler alert. I think I'm done with the cinema as well. As overpriced as many blurays are now days they're still cheaper and less annoying that the cinema experience.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-10-09, 10:08 AM #22
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I like Harrison Ford but I think the last film I saw where he didn't phone it in was Air Force One.

You've found the point. I had a huge mancrush on him back then and liked virtually every film he made to that point. Wow, twenty years ago.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-10-09, 11:29 AM #23
former entrepreneur
2018-08-15, 5:17 AM #24
This video answered a lot of questions I had about Ridley Scott movies, especially at the end:

former entrepreneur
2018-08-15, 5:54 AM #25
Also, I finally saw Blade Runner 2049. I liked it. I thought it was a beautifully shot movie with great special effects and action sequences.

I haven't been able to force myself to sit through the original Blade Runner. I remember trying to watch it a few times, but I always thought the pacing was painfully slow. I want to give it another try.
former entrepreneur
2018-08-15, 6:35 AM #26
Even though its depiction of Hong Kong is downright positive these days, I'd still say that DXN is far more likely to take place in 2049 than BR2049 is.
2018-08-15, 7:12 AM #27
Originally posted by Eversor:
I haven't been able to force myself to sit through the original Blade Runner. I remember trying to watch it a few times, but I always thought the pacing was painfully slow. I want to give it another try.

You better, you goddamn reprobate :argh:
2018-08-15, 7:14 AM #28
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
Even though its depiction of Hong Kong is downright positive these days, I'd still say that DXN is far more likely to take place in 2049 than BR2049 is.

Perhaps, but BR2049 was shackled by the original movie. They're just running with the whimsical idea that the original movie's events take place in 2019, so thirty years later... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2018-08-15, 8:07 AM #29
I've seen the final cut at least two dozen times. Haven't seen the sequel yet, not sure why.

Did you know Ford was a stage hand and camera op for The Doors for like two weeks?

Unrelated, rumour has it George Lucas was the camera op at Altamont and was the one who filmed the death of Meredith Hunter as part of a satanic ritual sacrifice commemorating the close of the devil 60s.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2018-08-15, 8:26 AM #30
Originally posted by Spook:
Unrelated, rumour has it George Lucas was the camera op at Altamont and was the one who filmed the death of Meredith Hunter as part of a satanic ritual sacrifice commemorating the close of the devil 60s.

In the Special Edition, Meredith Hunter stabs first?
2018-08-15, 9:42 AM #31
Sean Young hangs out at a bar I go to
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2018-08-15, 10:02 AM #32
Originally posted by Spook:
Haven't seen the sequel yet, not sure why.

Watch it while you're stuck in that little town in Illinois.

I haven't seen it either. I watched the first one a few years ago and remember being unimpressed (and little else). I had heard about the movie for years and years and was when I eventually saw it, I was underwhelmed. Maybe I was expecting something different, but I didn't care for it.
2018-08-15, 2:12 PM #33
Chevy Chase was almost in Steely Dan
2018-08-15, 9:18 PM #34
You better, you goddamn reprobate :argh:

Ok so is Deckard a replicant or what?
former entrepreneur
2018-08-15, 9:18 PM #35
And how about Chevy Chase?
former entrepreneur
2018-08-15, 9:24 PM #36
Am I a replicant?
former entrepreneur
2018-08-15, 9:27 PM #37
This is how the makers of Blade Runner thought:

Apple II was created in 1977

Apple III was created in 1980

Apple II could only type uppercase characters

Apple III could type uppercase and lower case characters

It took three years to advance from Apple II to Apple III

therefore

at this rate, by 2019, only 37 years from now, in 1982, computers will be indistinguishable from humans and in some ways superior
former entrepreneur
2018-08-15, 9:32 PM #38
But they did accurately predict that we'd all be stacked like cordwood in favelas between the arcologies and sky palaces of unimpeachable megacorporations
2018-08-15, 9:39 PM #39
Actually, the thing that bothered me most about Blade Runner 1 was the population. Where'd they think all of those people were supposed to come from in just 37 years?
2018-08-15, 9:45 PM #40
If Trump doesn't build the wall everyone in LA will be talking cityspeak in about a year :rolleyes:
former entrepreneur

↑ Up to the top!