Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Anything games

Doesn't care what his title is
    Christmas Cardmaker Extrordinarie

[edit: this is just splitting hairs and doesn't really add anything to the discussion at hand. nevermind]
    Last edited by Steven; 07-19-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Admiral of Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    So it's like those ****ty group projects that lazy teachers like to assign?
    This describes all software projects tbh.

What happens when someone doesn't pull their weight (for whatever reason) and the whole project sucks?
    The same thing that happens anywhere else.

As far as the rest goes, that make sense for some industries, as I mentioned above. It seems like many fields have this system in place, though unofficially. Like my pops always said, leaders stand out.
    This is basically the difference. So, normally, managers are supposed to spot the leaders and explicitly invest authority in them. With self-organizing teams, the teams are given the tools to invest authority in whoever they want.

It’s not a good fit for everybody, but if you have a close-knit and well-functioning software team, it is more effective to let them dictate how they will work together, rather than imposing some other structure on them from a position of ignorance.

Doesn't care what his title is
    Christmas Cardmaker Extrordinarie

Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    It’s not a good fit for everybody, but if you have a close-knit and well-functioning software team, it is more effective to let them dictate how they will work together, rather than imposing some other structure on them from a position of ignorance.
    I suppose this is the key; certain personality types are attracted to certain fields. My brother is in software, and describes some of the places he's worked. I would hate to work in those sort of environments, but he loves it. This is why software never appealed to me, but he excels. He would hate some of the places I excelled. Ultimately, it comes down to having the right people in place. Any organization, government, or structure is only as good as the people running it.