Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Building (another) computer (questions inside)
Building (another) computer (questions inside)
2017-11-09, 8:57 AM #1
My wife wants a new computer. A windows computer. I wasn't able to talk her into either a mac or linux. She also doesn't want a laptop for some reason. I hate all the crapware installed on most windows computers and the amount of effort required to remove it so I'm thinking about building one. I had great luck with my last build (which was posted here but I'm too lazy to find the thread; basically a ~$1000 gaming computer which was an i5 with a 1060 in it). I did consider a "signature" edition from the MS store but they are all really expensive and this is for my wife to check email, pay bills, browse the web, etc. But I want it to boot fast, update quickly, perform well, play videos, etc., just doesn't need to run games or anything like that.

Since I don't need to put in a discrete graphics card, I'm thinking of using one of those smaller cases (rather than a full/mid tower).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Specifically around case, motherboard, processor, (integrated graphics/sound/probably wifi), etc.? I want the main drive to be an SSD (m.2) but will likely also need support for another real hard drive to hold all her photos (I suppose this could be external). Obviously need USB support for mouse/keyboard/external drives and then HDMI or DVI for (dual) monitors.
2017-11-09, 9:01 AM #2
I got my dad something like this earlier this year:

Mobo: Intel B150 something
CPU: Intel i3 7300 4GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2133MHz
SSD: 240 GB SSD
HDD: HGST 4TB Desktar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SE, 3.5", SATA III, 7200 rpm, 64MB
GPU (Integral): Intel HD Graphics 630
Case: Bitfenix Neos
PSU: 550 W

Cost like 950 euros, but that's Finland, so I'm willing to bet that around there you could get a system like that for 600bux. Or 50?

(If only I was aware of the manufacturers and models of the actual parts used, but eh...)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2017-11-09, 2:10 PM #3
Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm also exploring this Intel NUC thing. The prices aren't amazing but the case is small and it looks really easy to put together.
2017-11-10, 5:51 PM #4
Personally, I stick with Lenovo Thinkpads because I don't feel like looking elsewhere. I got one for my mom, and its been working fine. You can snag one at a significant discount if you use the corporate user site. You can get one (like the T-series) and upgrade RAM and SSD:

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/perksoffer/gatekeeper/showpage?toggle=PasscodeGatekeeper

NJ*PERKSEPP

I kinda feel like a shill...
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2017-11-13, 6:06 AM #5
Thanks for the suggestion. What does the code mean? What is different about the corporate site?

The last laptop I bought for myself was a thinkpad X1 Carbon. Everything about it is great except the screen. The screen is nightmarishly terrible. :( It must be some crappy TN panel. The viewing angles are bad. It looks washed out, especially as I increase the brightness. I need to be especially careful next time I buy a laptop to ensure I get a high quality IPS screen because that thing just sucks :( I barely use it solely because of how bad the screen is :( So mad about that purchase.

Anyway, I'm not shopping for a laptop in this case. The small form-factor desktops on that site look fine. If I use the code you provided, does it somehow link my purchase to some corporation somewhere?
2017-11-17, 5:53 AM #6
Originally posted by Brian:
Anyway, I'm not shopping for a laptop in this case. The small form-factor desktops on that site look fine. If I use the code you provided, does it somehow link my purchase to some corporation somewhere?

I've used it before. The code is just to go through the site, not at checkout. Corporate discount is usually ~30% to ~40% off.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!