Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Small Question
Small Question
2017-12-04, 5:02 AM #1
Hey guys! I just wanted to ask a question out of curiosity and if nobody wants to answer, I understand: Three questions, I think.

1. Does Anybody know anything about 2D and 3D modelling and animation?
  2. How many know how to do this in this forum?
  3. Is anybody willing to contribute, pertaining a huge project?

I also noticed I haven't posted much at all, so... Just thought I'd ask a question about something I was thinking about.
May the force be with you...
2017-12-04, 10:49 AM #2
1. Yes!
2. Me, and maybe two or three others.
3. Depends how much you're paying ;)
2017-12-06, 9:56 AM #3
1. I can make 3dos in JED.
2. Not me, and maybe two or three others.
3. If you want the 3D art equivalent of a spastic kindergartner.
4. Yes it's highly contagious, but I don't like to discuss it publicly.
Taton Qek, The master of masterfully inspired levels that never get released.
2017-12-06, 11:59 AM #4
To give a hopefully more helpful answer than my first one--

There was a lot of game modding happening on this site from about 2000 to 2005, including a bunch of 3D modelers (and a couple abortive attempts at animation). But time ran its course (and a lot of games came out that were way easier to mod) so there's only a handful of people here at all. Last year we put out a Final Level Pack that was the most game modding this site had seen in years. I'm not sure if anyone else here still does 3D art on a regular basis (except me).

Re: your project. I don't know what you're planning, but if you're new to game modding, starting with something "huge" is probably not going to get very far. I've been on 3 or 4 large teams doing huge projects, between 2002 and 2011, and all of them fizzled out. The amount of work is just too much for unpaid volunteers to follow through on--people inevitably lose interest and flake out before finishing the work they agreed to. It's much better, especially if you're new to modding, to start w/some small projects that you can finish yourself, and then finish them. That gives you something to point to later on if you're trying to convince people to work with you. If you DO need to assemble a team of 3D artists, there's places like this and this where you're a lot more likely to find success.

Lastly, if you're planning on doing your project in Jedi Knight...you probably won't be able to find anyone. There's a handful of people still modding it on JKHub, but most people have moved on to other games or other hobbies. Most big amateur games projects are done in Unreal or Unity now.
2017-12-07, 5:35 AM #5
Okay, Then I'll tell you the truth! Honest: I wasn't planning on building a mod and asking you guys to help me out. It's the other way around. Read this page here. I wanted to ask if you guys were interested in contributing to a huge thing called SWGB Expanding Fronts. I think I shouldn't have asked, usually a forum moderator named "Dallows" handles this sort of thing, but I thought it would be nice if I could ask you guys if you knew a thing or two on how to help.

TBH, you guys seem to know more about modding than I do and I could probably do data manipulation, but not graphical modding, those are hard for me for some reason. By the way, Thrawn, thank you for your answers. I was guessing I wasn't gonna find many people to help, but I have been looking at Massassi Temple for a long time and surprised you were still active. I wanted to approach you, but I didn't know how at the time.

Also, I have played SWGB Clone Campaigns countless times and couldn't tell you how many. The thing is, I was curious about how many people were willing to answer. Anywho, thank you all for your answers.

Wow, that was a lot to type.
2017-12-07, 12:45 PM #6
You seem like a nice person.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2017-12-07, 12:48 PM #7
Oh, Thank you. Yeah, mostly I am. :)
2017-12-07, 9:48 PM #8
Man, it's been forever since I heard about swgb heaven. I didn't know it was still around and active!
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2017-12-08, 8:35 AM #9
Oh yeah, we're still kicking and with a new '"expansive" mod that reinvigorates the Clone Campaign games. Some of our old members have come back to the fray to design some classic campaigns for the old game and the new "Expanding Fronts" mod! I started there as my first forum because of personal interest. I'm a very late newcomer though.

Actually, there's supposed to be a new reunion forum on SWGB forums and even HG forums that has old members come back to talk about their lives after the separation, I think.

So, Admiral Zarn, were you part of the SWGBHeaven forums back then?
2017-12-08, 4:27 PM #10
That's pretty cool; I always did enjoy that game. I honestly don't remember if I actually signed up, and if I did, I know I didn't post enough to be remembered. I know I lurked, as I liked to see stuff that was being worked on for SWGB.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.

↑ Up to the top!