Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New Forum Structure Proposal
New Forum Structure Proposal
2017-12-05, 5:17 PM #1
I am surprised that nobody has thought of this before. I think it would be a good idea to create a new subforum section called "Religion, Politics, Capitalism, and Philosophy".

We can seed this new subforum section with Eversor's "Inauguration Day" thread, broken into about a dozen individual threads, according to subject matter. This will make it easier to continue old discussions that got buried, and also helps avoid the thread from going in circles or repeating itself.
2017-12-05, 5:47 PM #2
I think we should have level contests but for huge cash prizes
2017-12-05, 6:04 PM #3
There already is a subforum section for "Religion, Politics, Capitalism, and Philosophy." It's called the "Inauguration Day" thread, and it's better to have it here where I don't have to click twice to open it. :)
2017-12-05, 6:24 PM #4
Religion, Politics, Capitalism, Philosophy, and bitter disagreement
2017-12-05, 6:35 PM #5
Eh. It's been going on for long enough, it's caused plenty of acrimony. Why don't we just lock the thread and this forum can be a general discussion sub-forum again?
former entrepreneur
2017-12-05, 6:36 PM #6
We could do that, but then we'd have to open another one to talk about stuff that Trump does.
2017-12-05, 6:38 PM #7
I admit that there is a silver lining to doing that if it encourages people to stay on topic and starting new threads instead of piling onto the same one.
2017-12-05, 6:41 PM #8
Maybe what needs to happen is for at least one active participant to have moderator privileges, and then use them to consistently break off divergent discussion into separate threads.
2017-12-05, 6:41 PM #9
Originally posted by Eversor:
Eh. It's been going on for long enough, it's caused plenty of acrimony. Why don't we just lock the thread and this forum can be a general discussion sub-forum again?

But you’re winning the thread! You said so!
2017-12-05, 6:42 PM #10
We'll probably get around to talking about Trump in any thread about any topic. It's come up in other threads too. There doesn't need to be a thread devoted to him.

It seems like when there's the assumption that a thread isn't dedicated to a specific topic, because it already has a hundred pages, people treat it more like a newsfeed than a discussion. I think that's also negatively affected the thread, and has inspired people to throw out incendiary points until something gains traction and turns into a nasty argument.

We should contact Brian, and ask him to make someone who is a sterling example of good behavior, decency and judgment into a moderator. They can lock threads that get long and unwieldy. That's my suggestion.

I nominate Jones.
former entrepreneur
2017-12-05, 6:43 PM #11
Originally posted by Jon`C:
But you’re winning the thread! You said so!

heh, if you're not going to let your grudge die and move on I guess I'm winning this one too? Shhh... let's deescalate.
former entrepreneur
2017-12-05, 6:45 PM #12
I think that's also negatively effected the thread, and has inspired people to throw out incendiary points until something gains traction and turns into a nasty argument.

For example, accusing Reid of antisemitism on every page.
2017-12-05, 6:45 PM #13
Hey look we agree, Eversor. You made a very good point about people posting incendiary accusations of antisemitism on every page of that thread.
2017-12-05, 6:46 PM #14
Instead of locking, how about letting the thread unfold organically, but with subtopics then moved to their own thread as needed?

Locking might be appropriate in this particular case if only because of:

Quote:
It seems like when there's the assumption that a thread isn't dedicated to a specific topic, because it already has a hundred pages, people treat it more like a newsfeed than a discussion.
2017-12-05, 6:47 PM #15
I think the thread should be split up into different threads for all of the topics we’ve covered, retroactively.

I nominate Eversor for this task.
2017-12-05, 6:48 PM #16
Originally posted by Jon`C:
For example, accusing Reid of antisemitism on every page.

Ok, I really do hope you see how funny and amusing it is to me that you're not dropping this. Anyway, I really do have to sleep.
former entrepreneur
2017-12-05, 6:49 PM #17
I have no idea what you mean, I completely agree and I’m glad you pointed out that people are trolling the thread with baseless accusations of antisemitism. I agree that it’s an important issue and we as a community should strive to do better.
2017-12-05, 6:49 PM #18
Incidentally, I am slightly hesitant to volunteer for moderating anything that requires using vBulletin. Is it easy to select posts to split off or is it a PITA?
2017-12-05, 6:50 PM #19
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
Incidentally, I am slightly hesitant to volunteer for moderating anything that requires using vBulletin. Is it easy to select posts to split off or is it a PITA?

(guess)
2017-12-05, 6:50 PM #20
The other options of course are to just carry on in the monolithic thread, or alternatively encourage people to stay on topic, or make new threads.
2017-12-05, 6:53 PM #21
Brian could always ban all political discussion. Might make the forums a tad slow though.
2017-12-05, 7:12 PM #22
There's definitely some toeing the line of antisemitism happening in that thread.

I like this idea even less than the OP though.
2017-12-05, 7:29 PM #23
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1208569']I like this idea even less than the OP though.

I think I understand it now: the political discussion is in a containment thread, much like the rest of 4chan sees /pol. Banning political discussion would actually lead to far worse instances of derailment in every single other thread.
2017-12-05, 9:56 PM #24
I think I understand it now: the political discussion is in a containment thread, much like the rest of 4chan sees /pol. Banning political discussion would actually lead to far worse instances of derailment in every single other thread.

It's possible!

As things are now, there's nothing to stop people from making a half-dozen threads about different political topics if that's what they want. But since the political discussion seems to have self-sorted into a single thread, giving it its own subforum seems like overkill. Banning the subject entirely seems stifling.

On the other hand, I thought unbanning Koobie was a good idea, and I was clearly wrong abt that :v
2017-12-05, 11:02 PM #25
What's amusing to me is how mailing lists don't have this problem in the first place, since anybody writing an email can change the thread title / subject heading (and indeed this happens all the time), but still retain quoted text and the set of recipients.

It's almost as if vBulletin is stiffling us here, but who am I to complain.

I agree that users certainly can make new threads as it stands now, and admit that it is a little dubious to assume they won't just add to the same monolithic thread even if there were an entire forum section to spread discussion out across several threads without fear of feeling spammy.
2017-12-05, 11:07 PM #26
At the end of the day, the solution might simply be to change the title of the current omnibus thread. Or not even that.
2017-12-06, 12:59 AM #27
It doesn't make a huge difference to me. I think we should lock the thread because it's simple and takes zero effort. Spinning it off into various new threads would require time and work, if it's even possible. I don't assume that it's worth even a moment of my time, so I wouldn't want to peg the job on someone else. I'm also worried about creating a new sub-forum, because there are few enough people here that we probably don't want to split our traffic. But if people want to do that, I don't object.
former entrepreneur
2017-12-06, 1:06 AM #28
I think nobody wants to make a subforum anymore. But the idea of locking that thread doesn't seem too popular either.

It's interesting to see how people seem to actually like the monolithic structure. As for the news feed style discussion leading to personal attacks, I am skeptical that that is the reason.
2017-12-06, 7:04 AM #29
I think we should do the opposite, consolidate all discussion into the Inauguration Day thread
2017-12-06, 7:10 AM #30
I think nobody wants to make a subforum anymore. But the idea of locking that thread doesn't seem too popular either.

It's interesting to see how people seem to actually like the monolithic structure. As for the news feed style discussion leading to personal attacks, I am skeptical that that is the reason.

That thread is legitimately funny sometimes though.
2017-12-06, 9:52 AM #31
The megathread makes it difficult for new comers to understand and participate in the conversation.

That being said, half the posts are inside jokes or require intimate knowledge of 10+ years of relationships/rivalries. Newcomers would be just as lost with a dedicate sub-forum.
Taton Qek, The master of masterfully inspired levels that never get released.
2017-12-12, 3:49 PM #32
How wonderful it would have been if a very few people could have just been slightly disciplined. As it is, the thread should remain. In addition, any new annoying thread should be merged with it.

Or delete the abomination.

:p
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2017-12-13, 10:04 AM #33
merge it with my thread
I had a blog. It sucked.
2017-12-13, 1:12 PM #34
we need a new subforum because threads keep getting lost in the cavalcade of new threads and posts we have here every day in fact we should have a subforum for every topic to help keep this massive place organized
2017-12-13, 1:46 PM #35
each user should get their own subforum
former entrepreneur
2017-12-13, 2:44 PM #36
Just put all future posts into this thread, and then interupt all discussion with a meta-discussion on the relative merits of each element of the power set of all possible ways to break it into separate threads.
2017-12-14, 12:25 AM #37
each user should get their own subforum

Yeah, ****** time for the christmas season we should show some Love with this gesture and then eat some Bradsh and Tofu together (although the latter one sucks).

But seriously, if you want it, just use the Religious Discussion Forum. :psyduck:
Sorry for the lousy German
2017-12-14, 12:29 AM #38
Damn, forgot that ****** was censored. It's probably for the best. Wouldn't want Floppy coming back.
Sorry for the lousy German
2017-12-14, 12:30 AM #39
Also, I don't see the religious discussion forum. I think it's gone.
2017-12-14, 12:42 AM #40
Originally posted by Impi:
Wouldn't want Floppy coming back.

Oh, I'll ruby your rosebud with a slice of darth cantaloupe ;O

canalope
cantalope
overglow
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!