Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Results 1,041 to 1,054 of 1054

Thread: Computer Science and Math and Stuff

Admiral of Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Is this mentality too different from a common one w.r.t. computer security? A small group of people are sincerely interested in making systems more secure, whereas the rest are apparently just annoyed that they have to think about security at all, and therefore do everything they can to circumvent it in the name of convenience.
    The “common mentality” is a software ****lord who thinks his limited programming skill makes him better at designing locks than the people who do it for a living.

The very idea is moronic - it TRIPLES your attack surface, a third of which you would find incredibly unpleasant - and that’s assuming your mechanism was designed at least as well as existing locks. Biometrics are a great username and a lousy password.

Computer security isn’t made bad for the sake of convenience. There are plenty of design choices engineers are making to this very day that they think improves security, but actually make things both less secure and less convenient. Things like password restrictions and password expiration. (Studies have repeatedly shown that people choose worse passwords when they’re forced to reset them periodically, e.g. Hunter01!, Hunter02!, etc.. Despite overwhelming evidence though, it’s basically impossible to get chuckle**** computer janitors to stop their idiot horse**** though!)

^^vv<><>BASTART
    I was going to say that a padlock worked pretty well to stop people from stealing my t-shirt and pants in high school gym, but then I remembered that correlation does not imply causation.
    Well, that's what padlocks are for. They keep honest people honest. A person who wants to break into padlocked storage will find it's not challenging.

Unless you drop a ton of dosh, they're easy to pick, and any can be broken with a crowbar pretty easily.

Better than a lock which tells you where the owner lives though..

Is this mentality too different from a common one w.r.t. computer security? A small group of people are sincerely interested in making systems more secure, whereas the rest are apparently just annoyed that they have to think about security at all, and therefore do everything they can to circumvent it in the name of convenience.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Yes.
    "Yes" meaning it is different?

Well, that's what padlocks are for.
    When I said "correlation does not imply causation", I was more suggesting that perhaps nobody actually wanted to take my clothes in the first place, but who knows?

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Computer security isn’t made bad for the sake of convenience. There are plenty of design choices engineers are making to this very day that they think improves security, but actually make things both less secure and less convenient. Things like password restrictions and password expiration. (Studies have repeatedly shown that people choose worse passwords when they’re forced to reset them periodically, e.g. Hunter01!, Hunter02!, etc.. Despite overwhelming evidence though, it’s basically impossible to get chuckle**** computer janitors to stop their idiot horse**** though!)
    I want to punch every person in the face who doesn't allow long passwords and has character requirements. Many of my passwords are various phrases, idioms, etc when they can be. They're super easy to remember and are secure. But goddamn if I have to sit there and guess which **** I had to add to a nice phrase to make their **** website accept the password.

"Yes" meaning it is different?
    This statement is universally true: "A small group of people are sincerely interested in making systems more secure, whereas the rest are apparently just annoyed that they have to think about security at all, and therefore do everything they can to circumvent it in the name of convenience."

^^vv<><>BASTART

*found a noise reduced version..
    Last edited by Reid; 06-17-2018 at 11:01 PM.

How many prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

I want to punch every person in the face who doesn't allow long passwords and has character requirements. Many of my passwords are various phrases, idioms, etc when they can be. They're super easy to remember and are secure. But goddamn if I have to sit there and guess which **** I had to add to a nice phrase to make their **** website accept the password.
    Whenever this happens I just add an '!' mark to the end. This usually works, and it also makes it seem like I am shouting at the program that made me do it.

Admiral of Awesome
    I want to punch every person in the face who doesn't allow long passwords
    but then it wouldn’t fit in a varchar(10) anymore???

How many prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Code:
    ?- changelight(N).

N = 3

yes

As if the hype weren't enough, now with a dubious blockchain startup buying Bit Torrent for an alleged $140 million, the hijacking of the term 'crypto' by the blockchain world to mean literally anything that uses a hash on a network is more or less complete.

That said, I am personally looking forward to scouring the market for cheap ass server parts that coin miners have been presumably dumping on eBay by now.

OK, what the heck is wrong with Quora so that a question that is obviously a joke has a 2600 word essay as the top answer? Is it just the need to karma whore?

Name:  joke.png
Views: 17
Size:  15.1 KB

That said, I am personally looking forward to scouring the market for cheap ass server parts that coin miners have been presumably dumping on eBay by now.
    dont get too excited crypto moon kids are saying the wallstreet bonus and chinese birthday are right around the corner to pamp it past ath again. $30k bitcoin EOY

Also McAffee has to eat his dick if BTC doesnt make 100k this year so don't be so excited to see the fall of internet moneys because we could still get something real good out of it
    sniff

Zulenglashernbracker
    OK, what the heck is wrong with Quora so that a question that is obviously a joke has a 2600 word essay as the top answer? Is it just the need to karma whore?

Name:  joke.png
Views: 17
Size:  15.1 KB
    this is a good example of why i hate quora
    I had a blog. It sucked.