Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,160 of 1196

Thread: Computer Science and Math and Stuff

That site (and the rest of the web) may well be full of racist people. All I'm saying that in the case of Terry Davis (who as far as I know had nothing to do with that site), the allusions being made there are to his own racist remarks, but which can probably be attributed at least in part to his schizophrenia, and as such are not to be taken seriously.

I probably should have just linked to the original Hacker News submission that linked there (but that's the story that was submitted).

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Grad school is the only place where I can work for 10 hours on grounds, go home, eat with roommates, and then feel guilty for taking a break from studying.

Admiral of Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Grad school is the only place where I can work for 10 hours on grounds, go home, eat with roommates, and then feel guilty for taking a break from studying.
    lol, look at this guy who’s never worked at a startup

An older friend of mine is the director of IT at fairly well known startup. He got a grand total of three days of vacation last year, one of which he used to attend his son's graduation. During the ceremony he got a text message, which upon receiving he promptly got up and left (in order to go back to his hotel and take care of some urgent work, of course).
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 09-12-2018 at 10:59 AM.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    lol, look at this guy who’s never worked at a startup
    I 10000% would speak to a couple talented friends of mine and start my own software company if I had the time. I chose the life of being a poor nerd over possibly having lots of money.

The Chad Applied Computer Scientist... best part is you never even have to work, just punch in your code to Wolfram alpha and you'll be the next Zuckerberg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIh9KVQ6l43dBOIrVB1CgwyvhLcOJZOdQUvenphTJDk.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	28085

^^vv<><>BASTART
    I'd rather just be a programmer than study applied mathematics, tbh. I don't want to spend all day fiddling with software to see what happens to a PDE. I already know more than enough mathematics for most programming applications, anyway.

Pure mathematics is much more useful for programming (language theory (and practice (Haskell (and languages that steal things from it (like Scala (and then... Java)))))) anyway.
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 09-12-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: syntax error

Also according to /r/math, the virgin / chad meme is from "incels", so I apologize for showing you guys that.

Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    yeah there's a few mems areount here at the moment that are beneath the standards of massassi

a fraternity brother showed me that one. :/

He told me that everyone in his fraternity used the word "cuck" all over the place.

(to clarify: I'm not the one who was in the fraternity, he was)

i love cucking and being cucked by my brehs, no homo but we're very erotically connected

Get `yer Musk Reads

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2018-09-16 at 22.55.11.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	28093

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Get `yer Musk Reads
    >sign up for musk updates you need to know about

>nothing is ever sent

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Fun fact: in the 16th century, before numerical powers were a thing, the 16th power was called the "zenzizenzizenzizenzike", which "doeth represent the square of squares squaredly squared". I find this endlessly amusing.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Hey students, plz remember ∞/∞ and 0/0 are indeterminant forms. I beg of you...

^^vv<><>BASTART
    I struggle with the acronyms students have. It seems everybody learns something different, too. Conversations often go like this:

"Okay let's simplify (x-5)(x-7) now. What do we do?"

"FOIL!"

"Uhh.. can you explain to me how that works mathematically?"

Often they aren't common things though and I hear stuff like:

"Use the TODFNAK method!"

Like.. what are they teaching students in grade school? Is "FOIL" really easier to remember than "distribution"?

Admiral of Awesome
    FOIL is certainly easier to teach to children.

FOIL is an algorithm, and algorithms are mathematics too.

There was also "new math" in the 60's, where it was argued that kids should learn definitions before they know the relevant algorithms. Needless to say this was received terribly. Oliver Heaviside said that mathematics is an experimental science, and that the definitions come later, not first. This certainly is true for learning--how can a student appreciate just why a definition is a good one if they know nothing about the material the definition clarifies? The answer, of course, is only by years of training to begin to appreciate the abstract point of view, to the point that they, as mathematicians, can expect to learn a new topic from very abstract treatments. Of course there's a reason high school geometry is supposed to be the first exposure students have to this: because it relies on visual intuition as a fallback to the abstract approach!

^^vv<><>BASTART
    I guess I'm just at that transition point where they're moving on from that.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    FOIL is an algorithm, and algorithms are mathematics too.

There was also "new math" in the 60's, where it was argued that kids should learn definitions before they know the relevant algorithms. Needless to say this was received terribly. Oliver Heaviside said that mathematics is an experimental science, and that the definitions come later, not first. This certainly is true for learning--how can a student appreciate just why a definition is a good one if they know nothing about the material the definition clarifies? The answer, of course, is only by years of training to begin to appreciate the abstract point of view, to the point that they, as mathematicians, can expect to learn a new topic from very abstract treatments. Of course there's a reason high school geometry is supposed to be the first exposure students have to this: because it relies on visual intuition as a fallback to the abstract approach!
    I get that, I just don't know what any of the acronyms are. I've had to have them explain to me things like "FOIL" or the hi di lo mnemonic. It's been so long since I've thought in that way that there's a gap between how I think of math and they do, and it's something I just deal with when teaching.

If they appreciated the abstract approach of high school geometry or real analysis, then yes, they should move on.

Of course, calculus is also quite algorithmic!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Pugh
    Was plane geometry your favourite math course in high school? Did you like proving theorems? Are you sick of memorising integrals? If so, real analysis could be your cup of tea. In contrast to calculus and elementary algebra, it involves neither formula manipulation nor applications to other fields of science. None. It is Pure Mathematics, and it is sure to appeal to the budding pure mathematician.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I get that, I just don't know what any of the acronyms are. I've had to have them explain to me things like "FOIL" or the hi di lo mnemonic. It's been so long since I've thought in that way that there's a gap between how I think of math and they do, and it's something I just deal with when teaching.
    I guess you don't remember what middle school algebra was like then.

There are merits to mnemonic devices-in particular, for cases in which what is being memorized is a completely arbitrary convention.

In particular, do you have a more "mathematical" way to get people to remember operator precedence than to say "PPMA", or " Parentheses, Powers, Multiplication, Addition"?
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 10-27-2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Admiral of Awesome
    IBM just bought Red Hat.

RIP.

Admiral of Awesome
    Sure hope there aren't any 40 year olds working at Red Hat lmbo

^^vv<><>BASTART
    I guess you don't remember what middle school algebra was like then.
    No I don't, lol.

There are merits to mnemonic devices-in particular, for cases in which what is being memorized is a completely arbitrary convention.

In particular, do you have a more "mathematical" way to get people to remember operator precedence than to say "PPMA", or " Parentheses, Powers, Multiplication, Addition"?
    I don't have to teach operator order, so no. I know how it works and can deal with them because of the ring axioms, literally.

I'm not in any way suggesting they should be taught differently, I'm just expressing that I have some difficulty in overcoming the differences, lol.

Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.

Mathematics is said to obliterate its own history through later, superior, but more abstract, treatments.

Hence it's not suprising to observe the problem that academics sometimes also obliterate their personal pedagogic history, and thus have trouble relating to students (to the extent that they remain lazy teachers).

Quote Originally Posted by saberopus View Post
    i love cucking and being cucked by my brehs, no homo but we're very erotically connected
    you joke but its a lot of fun
    sniff

Doesn't care what his title is
    Christmas Cardmaker Extrordinarie

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    you joke but its a lot of fun
    yeah I heard about you and gary

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    yeah I heard about you and gary
    lmao I like how you managed to pick the name of one of my friends I have not engaged in any cuckold type behavior with lmao did you ever make detective?
    sniff

no I wouldn't smoke the Lt's pole so I got busted back down to boot

too bad, you could have cucked his boyfriend
    sniff

Thought he was onto something.
    huh?
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    enshu

Hi, Tenshu! Did you know your name is an anagram of "he nuts"?

Thought he was onto something.
    I'm at a loss for words.

None of my maths classes ever went like this.
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    ■■■■■■■■
    enshu

All if my classes at Clayton Forrester Junior College School of Xenoarchaology and Cryptozoology were exactly like this

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Logarithms and exponentials are pretty hard to teach. You just have to think about them until they make sense..

What about 0⁰?