Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Did we talk about this?
Did we talk about this?
2018-01-26, 6:14 PM #1
There's some weird, ****ed up **** in this comment thread.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16240928

I would be interested to hear if Spook has to say about this. Incels co-optibg the ocult?

Quote:
If you're interested in the study of religion at all (at least as a human affectation), it can get pretty interesting to get into the Hermetic and Gnostic texts. Some of the traditions and proposed knowledge exists on a timeline parallel to popular history going back thousands of years. It's really quite something.

It combined with other mystic traditions ultimately informed the theosophical movement of the 19th and 20th century through to the magick of Aleister Crowley. His sex magick informs a lot of the modern incel, red-pill, and proud boy ideas that you must refrain from "spilling your seed"—that your reproductive emissions contain some of your essential energy. The result being that you have to abstain or otherwise be reduced to a plodding pile of unenlightened goo (to give the idea some imagery).

So it's especially interesting, and a little funny, how in spite of the larger mysticism having fallen out of popular favour as a way to understand the world, they still influence a great part of it in a variety of outcomes as a result of lingering practices and beliefs finding their way into new systems.
2018-01-26, 7:54 PM #2
They may as well be talking about meme magic. In fact, they likely are, and I am absolutely positive they are missing all of the interesting things about this whole area.

Saying 'the Hermetic and Gnostic texts' is like saying 'monotheism' but on a smaller scale if you include the whole time scale that person mentioned, and besides, the term Gnosticism which describes a bunch of people who wanted to escape the physical world did not exist until the 17th century and the Corpus Hermeticum is dated to the same time 'the Gnostics' seem to have existed, which was ~0-200 AD as far as I know. New age people will argue with you forever and insist Tarot cards come directly from a print shop in one of the Giza pyramids, but they are wrong.

I mean, this isn't a consistent body of knowledge, and there wasn't ever a governing body, so it isn't like there's one sort of core cannon except in retrospect and based on who you are arguing with. Also thousands seems to imply most of or more than recorded history, when these movements almost certainly only date in their specifics to about the time of Christ or so, like I said. Like most spooky things, they were informed by those who came previous to them, but describing them as existing on a 'timeline parallel to popular history going back thousands of years' is, as I am sure you don't need to be told, pretty nonsensical.

As far as Crowley, virtually every western mystical movement currently extant, from Gardnerian Wicca to rock and roll in general is influenced by Aleister Crowley, but his sex magic is a pretty poor fit for the people listed there. Crowley was a power slut who used his ass to **** a magical partner (Victor Benjamin Neuburg, poet and publisher of some of the early works of Dylan Thomas) into lifelong insanity in the Sahara desert. As a member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, he created tensions in the group due to his non occult (in the strictly literal sense) bisexuality back when people like Oscar Wilde were going to jail for going to the bone zone with a bro and eventually broke the whole thing up after disputes over his fitness for the order and having a magical war in the streets of London with W.B. Yeats and later published all their ****, giving us the modern tradition of ritual magic. He wrote a volume of homoerotic poetry called White Stains which he published overseas and wrote this poem about who I am fairly sure was his childhood family maid that he banged when he was 14:

[quote=Edward Alexander Crowley]When Celia farts, my hasty nose. Sniffs up the fragrance from her parts. Shamed are the violets and rose when Celia farts [/quote]

Additionally, he is often accused of confessing to child sacrifice. This is extremely unlikely, as according to his confession he murdered 150 children in the space of a year. Ignoring the fact that Crowley seemed to be, somewhat bizarrely, anti abortion and that 150 children is a very high number to get away with even in the 30s or 40s it also seems pretty clear to me based on the whole text in which he makes this confession that he is referring to jerking off and losing your energy because of this sacrifice of male children, or something. 150 times a year is pretty modest, probably because of his contact with Taoist ideas of life energy loss which suggest that as a male ages he must ejaculate less often to maintain stable levels of however that particular tradition describes life energy. That is way different from abstaining completely to avoid losing your life energy, and Crowley was renowned for his ability to talk young girls (and boys, but in his day all those type of boys were pros, so it's not impressive) into his bed in old age. Crowley was super gross and a nutbar, but I don't understand why everyone has to reconstitute the guy's writings to support their ****, isn't it interesting enough that he was trying to systematize having crazy experiences? Aren't there less controversial and more relevant figures to appropriate to support your virginity? It's bizarre.

Finally, 'larger mysticism' has not fallen out of favor. Everyone is looking for ****ing mysticism and if you aren't a traditional monotheist you are almost certainly a fan of some sort of mystic, whether it is Sadghuru, Russel Brand, Sam Harris, ****ing David Lynch or that awful Deepok Chopra. What a bizarre comment, it makes almost no comments on reality.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2018-01-26, 8:03 PM #3
I guess I should say that all of the groups he references claim they are ancient, but if he had done actual research he would see the lack of evidence for such. I just don't see how Aleister Crowley, a sex maniac, justifies those redpill groups. Some of his stuff is up their alley, but most of it is not. Just bizarre. I don't see a lot of weird ****ed up **** in that comment thread though?
2018-01-26, 8:06 PM #4
Oh then lower that same poster posts a bunch of semi related but not as closely tied until recently systems of mysticism. This is a ****boi, best move on.
2018-01-26, 9:44 PM #5
Thanks Spook. I guess I'm not too suprised that a Hacker News comment turned out to be bull****.

That said, I have to wonder about the Taoist idea about 'loss of essence': was Stanley Kubrick influenced by Taoism when he wrote the character of General Jack D. Ripper?
2018-01-26, 10:08 PM #6
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
Thanks Spook. I guess I'm not too suprised that a Hacker News comment turned out to be bull****.

That said, I have to wonder about the Taoist idea about 'loss of essence': was Stanley Kubrick influenced by Taoism when he wrote the character of General Jack D. Ripper?

I would suggest that Kubrick was using Ripper to illustrate the exact redpill phenomenon that we see today, those unsavory (usually men) who end up with power and a firm belief that their shortcomings are an evil plot on the part of their enemy. Much like the enlisted man who tells Colonel Mandrake that he is going to have to answer to the Coca Cola Corp. Kubrick was a New York (((citizen))) and as such knew the deeper workings of the killuminati. This is how we know that he did not, but was asked to fake the moon landing.

In short, I bet he was, but he made a joke about Americans being impotent lmao
2018-01-26, 10:13 PM #7
I was also mistaken, as he claimed to have murdered 150 a year for the space of multiple years totalling about 2500. It's likely this was in a subterranean pizza shop
2018-01-26, 10:28 PM #8
Originally posted by Spook:
I would suggest that Kubrick was using Ripper to illustrate the exact redpill phenomenon that we see today, those unsavory (usually men) who end up with power and a firm belief that their shortcomings are an evil plot on the part of their enemy. Much like the enlisted man who tells Colonel Mandrake that he is going to have to answer to the Coca Cola Corp. Kubrick was a New York (((citizen))) and as such knew the deeper workings of the killuminati. This is how we know that he did not, but was asked to fake the moon landing.

In short, I bet he was, but he made a joke about Americans being impotent lmao

From what I understand, the entire movie is a metaphor of sexual frustration between the two superpowers.

Also, the ending was originally planned to end with a big cream pie fight in the war room, but had to be cut because the actors were unable to stop laughing.
2018-01-26, 11:24 PM #9
This reminds me of a thing I read at some point, namely about how apparently Ted Cruz's father more or less prepped him up as the Messiah.

... Why? "My shortcoming will avenge my shortcomings!", maybe?

So whether it's someone instilling/enforcing a caste system, Nürnbergian laws, belief that someone is the Messiah or even just that residing in the right side of London makes you better - on the other side there's always the "impure" who are oh-so envious of the "pure" and do their best to corrupt them. And apparently, since the pure are apparently oh so fragile, the "impure" seem to be pretty successful at that.

And that's HORRIBULOUS! All the NSDAPtards and Redditards and Daeshtards and General Rippers have and will always remain ragging on about all that.

So... what the hell does "hey lol redditrash" have to do with some Spook from centuries past!? Reverend Jones, I know you have a fixation with these David Icke and Bill O'Reilly's Calmer Canadian Cousin types (see the past few pages of the Trump thread), but come on mang :saddowns: :cool:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2018-01-26, 11:34 PM #10
I guess Reddit, Hacker News, and 4chan have a lot of crap on them. I guess I should stop reading them so much.

Also, I agree that the reddit.txt part of that post talking about meme magic is bad, but I was more interested in the other parts of it, since I don't know much about mysticism and it looked Spooky.
2018-01-26, 11:37 PM #11
Quote:
This reminds me of a thing I read at some point, namely about how apparently Ted Cruz's father more or less prepped him up as the Messiah

Hey, that makes a lot of sense. He really talks and acts like this is what happened.
2018-01-26, 11:49 PM #12
I guess I should stop reading them so much.

Well, I guess it's the "too much social media is actually a bad thing" that Jon mentioned at some point. Namely how too much Twitter gets you a heart attack and too much 4chan makes you die from your poorly done swastika tattoo and so on.
2018-01-26, 11:53 PM #13
Also, why is 4chan still a thing? It started out as Something Awful For Children, got too tame for enlightened goo so 8ch was made instead (also note how Daesh spawned from Al-Qaeda) and thanks to Trump, what, it's "relevant" again?
2018-01-27, 12:08 AM #14
I think this is kind of like how rotting corpses make dead bodies Relevant Again.
2018-01-27, 5:52 AM #15
I'm sure Facebook and Twitter does a lot more harm.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2018-01-27, 9:18 AM #16
I guess Reddit, Hacker News, and 4chan have a lot of crap on them. I guess I should stop reading them so much.

Also, I agree that the reddit.txt part of that post talking about meme magic is bad, but I was more interested in the other parts of it, since I don't know much about mysticism and it looked Spooky.

Well it's a big big rabbit hole that you can go down in multiple ways, most of which involve putting your faith in it and becoming really irritating and unstable. Some of the posters links in their second post are good starts but it's kind of a random mix of stuff. They linked to the wiki on Abrahamic religions as if that would give you some sort of summary of their occult practices.

Not addressing the veracity of the cosmological or ontological claims of any mystics, it's all some great sci-fi/fantasy and I call my hobby concerning it gonzo mysticism, since I enjoy inserting myself Hunter Thompson style into magical practice to see what it does regardless of if it 'came from ancient egypt' or is some **** made up by Victorian eccentrics. I am interested in the occult primarily because I am a 19 year old goth girl who likes weird history at heart, but also because I am interested in inducing altered states, especially non symbolic experience/nonduality type experiences as well as using systems of correspondence as a mnemonic system for art and generating meaning in real world experiences so that I can practice the skill of stepping away from it.

Here are some actually interesting links about magic and mysticism that aren't pushing some pathetic agenda:

The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn is the source of virtually all modern western mystical and magical traditions, this is a good short summary.

John Michael Greer is a druid and writer 'whose work focuses on the overlaps between ecology, spirituality, and the future of industrial society.'

Alan Moore talking about his thoughts on magic

This book is a great summary of contemporary occult ideas I can send you a pdf if you want I think

As far as the NSE/ND stuff, there is obviously Buddhism, however I am the most interested in the non Sam Harrisy type modern neuroscience buddhism. It's reddit, but /r/streamentry has a lot of good technical discussion on this, and it seems that the most popular system of practice is from Culadasa and his book The Mind Illuminated.

More interesting to me, but somewhat offputting because of the weird marketing, is Jeffrey Martin's Finders Course. Based on the curriculum materials that I have been able to find, it looks like an attempt via correspondence course to (relatively) rapidly expose people to diverse traditions of meditation, based on the idea that it isn't that these traditions and their dogma are providing access to the supernatural conduits of energy that they describe, but that these systems describe a specific configuration of brain physiology which is common to all mystic traditions, and that a different method of attainment is likely to work for each person, with some being more effective in general.

These types of experiences coming from mindfulness practice are just about the gold standard of human well being as far as all those dumb rating sheets psychologists love, and seem to correlate to the spooky stuff described in history that doesn't involve plants or drinks etc.

I don't know if their methodology is nonsense or not since it isnt public yet, but since I have money coming out of my ears now I am going to do their next session (they just started one, probably this summer) and see if I can get them to give me a better look at what they are doing. They claim that 70% of participants experience cessation events and other transient non symbolic experience and that a good proportion of those people move on to persistent non symbolic experience, which they use after a year of non identification with the ego. I've experienced a good amount of these things trying different systems of meditation, so I would imagine that I would have good success doing the same thing in a systematic fashion in a cohort of other meditators. They are also recording biofeedback information now which is very exciting to me, as I have been waiting years to have enough money to rig myself up with wires while I get drunk/high/meditate/trip/****.

This lines up with my personal goals, in that I have been making plans to build a giant permaculture (though not by that name, because I hate it) ranch/preserve thing where rich people (I am talking members of this board and up) can come and experience low energy lifestyles growing the food they eat while also being exposed some sort of systematic evidence based protocol to induce non symbolic experience.

I figure that these experiences are the most likely event to convince people that they don't need personal attainment through consumerism, and that they are going to be happier growing their own food with some help from automation to make it less time consuming and painful so they can also spend time hanging out with other humans in natural settings. The marketing campaign for this is going to be my weird cartoons about mysticism that I am working on, the studio for which will be combined with the workshop producing all the carbon negative agriculture equipment I am obsessed with. If I can swing it, which is looking more likely all the time, getting rich people to chill the **** out and not do anything without worrying about the DEA is probably the biggest impact I could have on climate damage. Not that it will help, but still.

So, there's a bunch of stuff man, I hope you like it.
2018-01-27, 11:42 AM #17
Originally posted by Spook:
They may as well be talking about meme magic. In fact, they likely are, and I am absolutely positive they are missing all of the interesting things about this whole area.

Saying 'the Hermetic and Gnostic texts' is like saying 'monotheism' but on a smaller scale if you include the whole time scale that person mentioned, and besides, the term Gnosticism which describes a bunch of people who wanted to escape the physical world did not exist until the 17th century and the Corpus Hermeticum is dated to the same time 'the Gnostics' seem to have existed, which was ~0-200 AD as far as I know. New age people will argue with you forever and insist Tarot cards come directly from a print shop in one of the Giza pyramids, but they are wrong.

I mean, this isn't a consistent body of knowledge, and there wasn't ever a governing body, so it isn't like there's one sort of core cannon except in retrospect and based on who you are arguing with. Also thousands seems to imply most of or more than recorded history, when these movements almost certainly only date in their specifics to about the time of Christ or so, like I said. Like most spooky things, they were informed by those who came previous to them, but describing them as existing on a 'timeline parallel to popular history going back thousands of years' is, as I am sure you don't need to be told, pretty nonsensical.

As far as Crowley, virtually every western mystical movement currently extant, from Gardnerian Wicca to rock and roll in general is influenced by Aleister Crowley, but his sex magic is a pretty poor fit for the people listed there. Crowley was a power slut who used his ass to **** a magical partner (Victor Benjamin Neuburg, poet and publisher of some of the early works of Dylan Thomas) into lifelong insanity in the Sahara desert. As a member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, he created tensions in the group due to his non occult (in the strictly literal sense) bisexuality back when people like Oscar Wilde were going to jail for going to the bone zone with a bro and eventually broke the whole thing up after disputes over his fitness for the order and having a magical war in the streets of London with W.B. Yeats and later published all their ****, giving us the modern tradition of ritual magic. He wrote a volume of homoerotic poetry called White Stains which he published overseas and wrote this poem about who I am fairly sure was his childhood family maid that he banged when he was 14:

Additionally, he is often accused of confessing to child sacrifice. This is extremely unlikely, as according to his confession he murdered 150 children in the space of a year. Ignoring the fact that Crowley seemed to be, somewhat bizarrely, anti abortion and that 150 children is a very high number to get away with even in the 30s or 40s it also seems pretty clear to me based on the whole text in which he makes this confession that he is referring to jerking off and losing your energy because of this sacrifice of male children, or something. 150 times a year is pretty modest, probably because of his contact with Taoist ideas of life energy loss which suggest that as a male ages he must ejaculate less often to maintain stable levels of however that particular tradition describes life energy. That is way different from abstaining completely to avoid losing your life energy, and Crowley was renowned for his ability to talk young girls (and boys, but in his day all those type of boys were pros, so it's not impressive) into his bed in old age. Crowley was super gross and a nutbar, but I don't understand why everyone has to reconstitute the guy's writings to support their ****, isn't it interesting enough that he was trying to systematize having crazy experiences? Aren't there less controversial and more relevant figures to appropriate to support your virginity? It's bizarre.

Finally, 'larger mysticism' has not fallen out of favor. Everyone is looking for ****ing mysticism and if you aren't a traditional monotheist you are almost certainly a fan of some sort of mystic, whether it is Sadghuru, Russel Brand, Sam Harris, ****ing David Lynch or that awful Deepok Chopra. What a bizarre comment, it makes almost no comments on reality.

Are you some kinda theologian?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2018-01-27, 11:59 AM #18
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Are you some kinda theologian?

No I'm a mystic with a history fetish.
2018-01-27, 12:10 PM #19
a mystic you say
2018-01-27, 12:15 PM #20
This thread makes my brain feel like it's a zit that's being popped.

Also, so does watching this video with the sound turned off:

former entrepreneur
2018-01-27, 12:26 PM #21
YOUR BRAIN DOESNT EXIST

Originally posted by saberopus:
a mystic you say

how else am i to get the new age girls naked
2018-01-27, 12:45 PM #22
The real question is: when am I going to get your mystic farts recorded?
2018-01-27, 2:39 PM #23
hopefully quite soon, depends on when my diet really takes a **** and I get some good material
2018-01-28, 3:46 AM #24
I just wanted to make it known that I very much enjoyed reading Spook's posts in this thread. There's not much I can contribute but I definitely appreciate it.
2018-01-28, 3:04 PM #25
I just wanted to make it known that I very much enjoyed reading Spook's posts in this thread. There's not much I can contribute but I definitely appreciate it.

Happy to hear it man

↑ Up to the top!