Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Skyrim VR for PC
Skyrim VR for PC
2018-04-01, 1:56 AM #1
It’s coming out on Monday (April 2nd).

Anybody else picking this up?
2018-04-01, 11:40 AM #2
Man, they are REALLY milking everything they can out of that game.
2018-04-01, 11:49 AM #3
They have to keep selling remakes or they wouldn't make them.

Right. Right!?
2018-04-01, 12:21 PM #4
Technically it's the third release, but they didn't charge money for the previous one.
2018-04-03, 1:40 AM #5
Better than I expected. Game's solid. Controls aren't great, but that's HTC's fault: there are only 3 buttons on the HTC wand, so the touchpad - terrible, terrible touchpad - is overloaded to all heck. Can't figure out how to put my weapons away. Maybe not enough room on the touchpad for it.

Plenty of locomotion and control options. My favorite is "physical sneak", in which you sneak by physically crouching. In real life. Using your real legs. It was cool for one dungeon, but the idea of playing through an 80 hour RPG while holding an olympic squat seems questionable. I haven't tried "realistic swimming" (I think it does what it says it does) but "realistic archery" is pretty rad (but I haven't tried with a crossbow yet).

Nords are tall. Altmer are really tall. I think it's accurate, but I'm not entirely sure. Even Nord women look about 6'4". Some people called the PSVR version "short person simulator", but PSVR isn't capable of tracking your height. Vive is. Maybe just feels strange to be in a world where my height is below average.

I haven't gotten a lot of play time in yet. My Vive keeps losing tracking at random. I probably need to cover up something reflective, idk. Gen1 VR hardware is terrible.
2018-04-03, 1:43 AM #6
It's the best PC VR game atm. Not even close.
2018-04-03, 4:42 AM #7
I haven't messed around with VR in a year or two. But when I did, it made me want to hurl everywhere.
former entrepreneur
2018-04-03, 9:02 AM #8
Originally posted by Eversor:
I haven't messed around with VR in a year or two. But when I did, it made me want to hurl everywhere.

You should keep playing. But have someone record you and put that **** on youtube. Or is that spewtube? puketube? hurltube? horktube?
2018-04-03, 10:26 AM #9
if you fight through it do you develop a tolerance?
former entrepreneur
2018-04-03, 10:53 AM #10
Originally posted by Eversor:
if you fight through it do you develop a tolerance?

Absolutely not.

Take it easy, use all of the comfort settings for simulation sickness, and stop immediately whenever you start to feel sick. You may gradually develop a tolerance. If you try to fight through it, you will make your simulation sickness worse.
2018-04-04, 3:01 AM #11
I think I've finally fixed my Vive tracking problems:

First I switched to the link cable. I have my lighthouses mounted to the cheeks of a pair of Ikea book cases, so they aren't mounted as high as they're supposed to be. Sometimes they desync. I thought that might have been the root cause, but it wasn't. It did fix the intermittent desync so I left the cable up.

Next I manually disabled power saving on my USB controllers. That seemed to slow it down - I got about 30 minutes in, instead of 5.

What ended up working, I think, is turning off the Vive camera and unplugging all of my other USB devices. I'll probably play around with it some more to see if I can get away with using the camera, at least. I don't use anything else in VR so there's no real loss.

So if anybody else gets an intermittent grey screen or loses controller tracking, and it won't work again until you reboot the Vive, you should try this stuff.

Got through Bleak Falls Barrow tonight. It's still super cool. Dragons are enormous, it's really something to see an animal that big swooping down at you.
2018-04-04, 5:57 AM #12
Hey Jon correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember you being pretty anti-VR at one point but now it seems like it's maybe won you over at least to some degree, is that fair to say? Like, now it appears you're in the "the tech needs to get a lot better but VR has much promise and already provides something regular gaming never could" camp.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
You may gradually develop a tolerance. If you try to fight through it, you will make your simulation sickness worse.

Permanently?
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2018-04-04, 2:16 PM #13
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Hey Jon correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember you being pretty anti-VR at one point but now it seems like it's maybe won you over at least to some degree, is that fair to say? Like, now it appears you're in the "the tech needs to get a lot better but VR has much promise and already provides something regular gaming never could" camp.
I’m bullish on the idea but bearish on the market, if that makes any sense. I’ve been an early adopter for all of the technologies leading up to this. I didn’t think it was good enough then, and I don’t think it is now. Eventually gaming is going to be dominated by VR or something like it, though.

Quote:
Permanently?
Accounts I’ve read suggest this is possibly the case, yes. Either way you aren’t doing yourself any favours by pushing through the simulation sickness.

I don’t get nauseous, but I do feel unsteady when using smooth locomotion. I prefer not feeling that way. VR snobs would consider me a pleb for that, I guess.

The true challenge of VR game design is designing a new experience that takes the limitations of VR into account. That necessarily means rethinking genres or at least gameplay tropes. Nobody seems capable of doing this yet. VR hasn't had its Super Mario Bros. moment.
2018-04-05, 6:45 AM #14
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I’m bullish on the idea but bearish on the market, if that makes any sense. I’ve been an early adopter for all of the technologies leading up to this. I didn’t think it was good enough then, and I don’t think it is now. Eventually gaming is going to be dominated by VR or something like it, though.

Cool. I'm really pulling for VR but I actually still haven't had a chance to try it out. I wouldn't be surprised if it made me nauseous though. I can't read in a moving car without feeling sick, for instance.
2018-04-05, 8:07 AM #15
Originally posted by Krokodile:
Cool. I'm really pulling for VR but I actually still haven't had a chance to try it out. I wouldn't be surprised if it made me nauseous though. I can't read in a moving car without feeling sick, for instance.

I'm the same way in cars, but VR didn't give me any problems. In the US most Best Buys have demos for different VR devices. I cant imagine it is much different in Finland.
My blawgh.
2018-04-05, 9:24 AM #16
Originally posted by Phantom-Seraph:
I'm the same way in cars, but VR didn't give me any problems. In the US most Best Buys have demos for different VR devices. I cant imagine it is much different in Finland.

Nice, that gives me hope. And yeah there have to be VR demo stands somewhere, I live in the capital (Helsinki).
2018-04-06, 7:40 AM #17
This thread reminded me that Elder Scrolls Online still exists.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!