Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars: A Star Wars Tale: Solo predictions
Star Wars: A Star Wars Tale: Solo predictions
2018-05-23, 9:31 PM #1
The Disney's Fox's LucasFilm's Star Wars: Star Wars Expanded Universe: A Star Wars Tale: Solo movie is coming out soon. Post single, simple predictions here. One sentence per prediction (to keep them simple). Multiple predictions allowed. Each prediction can be of something you expect to see in the movie; it can be a line, an action, an object, a reference, a trope or a character. Three examples: "Death Star", "Macguffin" and "What a piece of junk!"

Not sure exactly what material there is about the movie out yet, so not sure how easy it is to cheat. Oh well.
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2018-05-23, 9:40 PM #2
Edit:

I expect to see that Lando Calrissian (Donald Glover) is the best part of this movie.
2018-05-23, 10:49 PM #3
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I expect to see that Lando Calrissian (Donald Glover) is the best part of this movie.

this is literally the only thing i know about the movie because it's the only thing i've seen anyone mention, and it really pisses me off.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2018-05-23, 10:50 PM #4
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
this is literally the only thing i know about the movie because it's the only thing i've seen anyone mention, and it really pisses me off.

That it's all anyone mentions, or that maybe it'll turn out to be the only noteworthy thing? ;)
2018-05-23, 10:53 PM #5
I expect none of the trailer scenes to make it into the final movie.

Copyright (c) 2015-2018 The Walt Disney Company. All rights reserved worldwide.
2018-05-23, 10:55 PM #6
both, tbh.

I expect Han will have some traumatic experience that turns him into not believing in the Force, since his disbelief in the Force was explicitly mentioned in ANH

Edit- also I think Donald Glover is overrated. I think he's very funny, I loved Derrick Comedy, and I've heard he did very well with Community and is slaying Atlanta, but I still can't shake that feeling.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2018-05-23, 10:58 PM #7
both, tbh.

I expect Han will have some traumatic experience that turns him into not believing in the Force, since his disbelief in the Force was explicitly mentioned in ANH

I expect the writers to forget about stuff like this.
2018-05-23, 11:19 PM #8
Edit- also I think Donald Glover is overrated. I think he's very funny, I loved Derrick Comedy, and I've heard he did very well with Community and is slaying Atlanta, but I still can't shake that feeling.

...On the other hand, you like everything he's done.

I'll be honest: I expect that this movie is going to be bad. When I say I expect Donald Glover will be the best part, I don't think it's going to be a high bar to clear. Han Solo is too thin to make a good standalone, it's gonna be an ensemble film and it's gonna be absolutely dominated by the much stronger not-Han Solo characters to the point that we're all asking why the heck it was ever called Solo. And even that's assuming the version we've seen in trailers isn't completely on the cutting room floor at this point; multiply fired directors and rewrites and last minute sweeping rewrites and reshoots and this movie looks and sounds like yet another LFL/Disney management cluster****. This time they actually recast an entire role for reshoots. It's going to turn out to be another Rogue One at best, assuming they can find enough fan service to pack in at the last minute to make up for all of the good movie they cut.

I get that most Star Wars fans won't like me saying that, but it's honestly what I expect.

So yeah, Donald Glover being overrated or not, it doesn't really matter. He's still gonna be the best part. But for all we know he's been recast for reshoots as well. Maybe now he's a muppet. Voiced by Alan Tudyk. 98% fresh, academy award for best sound mixing.
2018-05-23, 11:31 PM #9
I think Childish Gambino is average at best and that's where I see him getting the most hype. Any bits people have shown me of him on Community I recall finding immature, but without knowing his character and the context of the scenes I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt there.

So yeah, I like one thing he's done, disliked the other thing he's done that I've tried to consume, and I'm not an expert on his TV appearances. I also don't think his SNL skits were funny.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2018-05-23, 11:42 PM #10
Any bits people have shown me of him on Community I recall finding immature, but without knowing his character and the context of the scenes I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt there.

18 years old, straight out of high school, grew up in a strict Jehovah's Witness family and got a pass on academics and personal responsibility because of football. He starts out more of a meathead but eventually settles into something more like indulging in a childhood that he never got to have. It's not exactly healthy, but that's the point of the show. I'm not sure it was a challenging role, but it was very well written and presented given what the series was trying to do.

Edit: Here's what Dan Harmon (Community showrunner) has to say about working with him. https://youtu.be/fGOmKvwZyWM
2018-05-24, 1:37 AM #11
Ok. Here are mine:
The actor playing Han will never feel like Han Solo. When watching the film you will get used to seeing him on screen, but when you attempt to contextualize that this is supposed to be the same dude in Episode 4 it will fall flat.

The movie will spend a jarring amount of time giving pointless props from the previous films a backstory. Things like his iconic blaster, the dice that hangs in the Falcon's cockpit, or the stripes on his pants.

The movie will never address certain things, like how the Falcon looks so trashed in the OT, Hans prior relationship with Jabba, or Bobba Fett. Because it will turn out this is the first part of a trilogy which will milk more props for backstories as they over-saturate the next two films with anything they can to tie it in with the OT. It'll basically be what happened with the Hobbit.
My blawgh.
2018-05-24, 2:20 AM #12
I'll be honest: I expect that this movie is going to be bad. When I say I expect Donald Glover will be the best part, I don't think it's going to be a high bar to clear. Han Solo is too thin to make a good standalone, it's gonna be an ensemble film and it's gonna be absolutely dominated by the much stronger not-Han Solo characters to the point that we're all asking why the heck it was ever called Solo.

You really think Han Solo is a thin character? On further reflection, I suppose he could be, but I don't know: maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Either way, in the original trilogy, the character was compelling in large part because of the charismatic actor who played him. I'd watch a thirtysomething/fortysomething Harrison Ford play Solo in a movie devoted to the character (I mean, isn't that effectively what Indiana Jones is, anyway? The characters aren't the same, but nonetheless Solo and Indy are largely vehicles for Ford to do his grumpy shtick). The reason why I suspect this film is going to suck is because they casted a little twerp as Solo, rather than, as A.O. Scott pointed out, an actor who became for an entire generation a model of cool masculinity. (EDIT: that's not exactly what he said in his review of Solo but it's close.)
former entrepreneur
2018-05-24, 2:32 AM #13
Ehrenreich was fantastic in Hail Caesar. And I thought he could pull off playing Solo when I first heard that he got the part. But I changed my mind when I saw promotional material of him dressed up as Han.
former entrepreneur
2018-05-24, 2:35 AM #14
I think Childish Gambino is average at best and that's where I see him getting the most hype.

This is America was a cool video but the song is kind of boring. The production values of the video are what make it worthwhile, in my opinion, and not the song writing or Glover's vocal performance. I don't know if you can even really call that rapping. The dancing was cool though. (I haven't listened to any of his other stuff. Maybe his other stuff is better.)
former entrepreneur
2018-05-24, 2:42 AM #15
Originally posted by Eversor:
Ehrenreich was fantastic in Hail Caesar. And I thought he could pull off playing Solo when I first heard that he got the part. But I changed my mind when I saw promotional material of him dressed up as Han.

There's also the fact that he's... what, 5 years younger than Harrison Ford was in ANH? Could this movie take place 5 years before ANH? How? I feel like that's not even enough time for the Millennium Falcon to get that dirty, no matter how poorly Han and Chewie took care of it.
2018-05-24, 4:32 AM #16
I expect the usual catchphrases, such as "bad feeling about this" and "never tell me the odds", and will still listen out for the Wilhelm scream even though they're supposedly not using it anymore.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2018-05-24, 4:47 AM #17
I'm surprised so many people have plans to go see it
2018-05-24, 9:30 AM #18
Disney Star Wars films in my life are now relegated to secondhand bluray purchases or Amazon rentals paid for with promotional credit for slower shipping. Fool me once, shame. On. You. Fool me twice, err. The point is, you can't get fooled again.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-05-24, 11:37 AM #19
I don't really have any interest in it, but I'm expecting it to be fine. Better than Rogue One but just fine.
nope.
2018-05-25, 3:57 AM #20
Since he was so good, Donald Glover should have played Han Solo.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2018-05-25, 6:06 AM #21
The "Rey is a Mary Sue" crowd would have an aneurysm.
nope.
2018-05-25, 6:12 AM #22
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
Since he was so good, Donald Glover should have played Han Solo.

That would make it interesting enough to pay money to see
2018-05-25, 6:34 AM #23
Every time I see or hear Donald Glover's name I think of that old communist that's famous for being Mel Gibson's sidekick in a thirty year old movie (and Predator 2, greatest film ever made). I mean Donald Glover's name gets thrown around like it's important but I have no idea why. Anyway, I think his Lando looks kind of lame but that's really because it doesn't seem reminiscent of Billy Dee Williams at all. Still think it's a missed opportunity Williams hadn't been in either of the Star Wars trilogy reboot films.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-05-25, 3:01 PM #24
I've learned so many euphemisms for "bad movie" today.

Edit: Disney famously blacklists critics and publications who write negative pieces. Thus, "franchise fatigue". The problem is the audience. They just don't feel like seeing another amazing Star Wars movie so soon.
2018-05-25, 3:52 PM #25
so apparently the movie is a big turd

2018-05-25, 4:35 PM #26
I like RT's critic consensus.

Quote:
Critics Consensus: A flawed yet fun and fast-paced space adventure, Solo: A Star Wars Story should satisfy newcomers to the saga as well as longtime fans who check their expectations at the theater door.

"Complete garbage, but at least the CGI is neato. Only see it if you can't tell Star Wars from any other action movie."
2018-05-25, 4:43 PM #27
I've learned so many euphemisms for "bad movie" today.

Edit: Disney famously blacklists critics and publications who write negative pieces. Thus, "franchise fatigue". The problem is the audience. They just don't feel like seeing another amazing Star Wars movie so soon.

I'm sure the movie sucks but I definitely do have Star Wars fatigue
former entrepreneur
2018-05-25, 4:50 PM #28
Speaking of characters too thin to make an interesting story, I guess they're working on a Boba Fett movie now?

There's some slight problems with taking a, tbh, pretty generic background character, built up into a fan-beloved household name mostly by 20 years of novels and comic books, and giving him his very own movie.

Here's a hint: Lucasfilm is ignoring the novels and comics, and is intentionally avoiding what the fans want in order to build a larger market.
2018-05-25, 5:04 PM #29
I've been trying to look up what analysts think about Kathleen Kennedy's tenure and I basically can't find ****. Her marketing plan clearly isn't working but I can't find anybody credible talking about it. It's all a bunch of insufferable skinheads complaining about her making Star Wars for "SJWs" and a mainstream media hugbox that seems suspiciously delighted to drown out all criticism of all Star Wars movies by equating it with racism or toxic masculinity or inconsolable nerds or whatever.

(mb convinced me years ago that the latter people may actually believe what they're saying, so at least it's probably not Disney marketing at work. Small comfort.)
2018-05-28, 7:30 PM #30
Star Wars became so weirdly diluted. The Prequels may have been terribly written but at least there was a vision of sorts.

I mean, the war just goes on and on and on....
2018-05-29, 10:37 AM #31
Today Forbes op-ed (which I won't link, because the article isn't much more substantive than the headline and they don't deserve your ad revenue)

"As 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Flops, Are Movies About White Men Box Office Poison?"
2018-05-29, 10:52 AM #32
The clickbaitiest of clickbait.
2018-05-29, 10:56 AM #33
Shoulda gone with Donald Glover as Han Solo.
2018-05-29, 10:58 AM #34
Solo: A Donald Glover One-Man Show
2018-05-29, 2:57 PM #35
Instead of all that CGI, they should have just used miniatures, stop-motion and matte paintings. The look of the movie seems so poorly lit, might as well just use old-timey special effects.
2018-05-29, 3:44 PM #36
CGI is a lot cheaper.
2018-05-29, 4:00 PM #37
every person I know who has seen it did not care for it, except my brother, who is a gigantic star wars fan, but he likes ketchup on his spaghetti, so his opinion is meaningless
2018-05-29, 4:35 PM #38
CGI is a lot cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, no doubt. Just want to see a model spaceship (even a 3D printed one) fly through "space" on the screen one last time. At least I would have reassurance that the movie was made for neeerrrrdsss.

At least do they have a new type of Stormtrooper? You gotta have a new type of Stormtrooper. Why watch a ****ing Star Wars movie if it doesn't have a new type of Stormtrooper.
2018-05-29, 5:54 PM #39
A new type of Stormtrooper? I should have kept working for the Empire.
2018-05-29, 6:52 PM #40
You don't get it man. When Kathleen Kennedy talked about diversity in Star Wars, she meant "diverse branches within the Stormtrooper Corps." You have to understand the new perspectives and skillsets that a different shaped and colored armor can bring to the culture of the films.

↑ Up to the top!