Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost there

We COULD try an experiment where Reverend Jones is instead banned for a month, and Koobie is instead allowed free reign over the entire board. We could then see a remarkable transformation of its character into something entirely different, as more and more people drink the Koob-aid (but then all drop dead when their leader skips town).

Holy **** I just remembered my user name. No, it can't be... NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo

Doesn't care what his title is
    Christmas Cardmaker Extrordinarie

I don't care about post counts or subforums. If everyone can just try to keep posts on-topic and make a new thread for any significant departures from the existing topic, I think everyone will be happy.

Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I don't care about post counts or subforums. If everyone can just try to keep posts on-topic and make a new thread for any significant departures from the existing topic, I think everyone will be happy.
    ye

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Great, there will only be two active forums then
    We should reconsider my idea: pull the plug on Massassi.

You can pull the plug when you pull it from my cold dead socket, Eversor.

Administrator
    I don't understand the obsession with splitting things into sub-forums. If anything, we should consolidate. The first page of Discussion Forum defaults to showing threads from the last month, and it doesn't even trigger paging at the level of activity we have going on these days. In our heyday we'd show threads with activity in the past 2 days and we'd have dozens of pages. I think you should use the Discussion Forum to discuss anything you want (within the rules) that doesn't already have a specific sub-forum. If you don't like a thread you should just ignore it. I think people are pretty good about using descriptive thread titles so you pretty much know if it's going to be a political or religious discussion. *shrug*

I think Brian is right, but perhaps only because the forum software is not likely to permit the kind of flexibility that would be required to simultaneously partition the board into classroom halves having divergent ground rules, while at the same time making both halves just as visible and easily accessible.

Therefore, we ought to just tolerate one another better, even if it means politics will come up in unexpected places from time to time: if we're going to live in close quarters to one another, we'll have to get used to each other's quirky inclinations without reacting by trying to propagate our own idea of what the board should or shouldn't be (since the political interests of the most active members have apparently already done that on their own).

We'll probably become slightly more boring again when the Trump cancer is cut out (in real life), and all guns are banned (discuss)
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 08-03-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Actually, the solution is more obvious to me now: whenever a member is tempted to reply to an existing thread that is not already political in nature, but wishes to make political remarks in reply, they should indeed reference the post they reply to, but instead do so in a new thread.

(Funny, we really haven't needed to evolve much past rules for etiquette on mailing lists, and in fact quoting messages but changing the subject in email in fact already handles this use case even better than forums do...)

We should just set up a (edit: bidirectional) mailing list gateway to the forums, just like Gmane did for Newsgroups back in the day!

I think what we should do is automatically nest/hide any multi-post sprees riffing on some arcane overwrought solution to a barely-existent problem!

oOOoOOooOooh

Gmail already does this ;-) (Edit: well, sort of. I think you'd have to set up a filter to automatically 'mark as read' certain classes of messages, but I think the best you'd be able to do is simply mark all posts by Reverend Jones as read. Uh, and I guess the ignore button in vBullitin)

It would also make it possible to mute certain members, and, well, Nikumubeki could simply unsubscribe from all the Trump threads and finally stop complaining.
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 08-03-2018 at 04:21 PM.

jones is only allowed to post to rec.games.video.jk

we should censor Trump just like we censor ****** and Basset Hound Orphan

jones is only allowed to post to rec.games.video.jk
    Hah. And forced to edit JK for FGR!

Actually, that's a splendid idea: punitive measures taken according to secret deliberations of the MSB will require out of line members to report to The Massassi Gulag. The Massassi Gulag is a subforum, run by Nikumubeki, in which you will be made to edit JK, until satisfactorily completing a large enough chunk of the latest project (which he lacks the willpower to complete himself), upon which time you will be relinquished to once again post on the rest of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I don't understand the obsession with splitting things into sub-forums. If anything, we should consolidate. The first page of Discussion Forum defaults to showing threads from the last month, and it doesn't even trigger paging at the level of activity we have going on these days. In our heyday we'd show threads with activity in the past 2 days and we'd have dozens of pages. I think you should use the Discussion Forum to discuss anything you want (within the rules) that doesn't already have a specific sub-forum. If you don't like a thread you should just ignore it. I think people are pretty good about using descriptive thread titles so you pretty much know if it's going to be a political or religious discussion. *shrug*
    That's good enough for me.
    Last edited by Nikumubeki; 08-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.

I am going to do my part to make the forums more active, while also clearly labeling threads to describe their contents.
    sniff

Zulenglashernbracker
    a new thread for every post
    I had a blog. It sucked.

a new subforum for every post!
    Sorry for the lousy German

The current Reid v. Obi posting is incredibly pathetic, though. Even for that thread! More apologies need to be demanded, consarnit!

(Since the posting of this thread, the Trump thread's replies have increased by 200+ posts, so it seems to be poised to overtake Camhoez in 1-2 months at this pace)

the posts have slowed on the Trump thread since this thread started. It's a total jinx. Brian, please ban FGR.

Lock him up! Lock him up!

Lock this thread! Lock this thread!

Wish he removed those old versions of TODOA while at it

Administrator
    omg I'm working on it. these things take time. I've gotta get buy-in from all the stakeholders

Trump thread is at 11,319, Camhoez at 11,362.

The End approacheth

Quote Originally Posted by Nikumubeki View Post
    Trump thread is at 11,319, Camhoez at 11,362.

The End approacheth
    And when it does

And now*, Massassi's downfall is complete.
    Last edited by Nikumubeki; 09-27-2018 at 01:13 AM. Reason: * = At some point in the past week

To think there was a time when I was what these forums used to be about.

... come to think of it, there was a point (mid-2006, I think) when these forums were all about FGR and Wookie06*. "Oh no, FGR hates America! Oh no, Wookie06 is crazy!"

Alas...
    Last edited by Nikumubeki; 09-27-2018 at 01:19 AM. Reason: * = Well, not really

Then again, I still win in that category because the Massassi Temple logo was reflected to celebrate Deus Ex: Nihilum in late May 2013, whereas something Wookie-related hasn't replaced the standard forum logo.

.... Yet.
    Last edited by Nikumubeki; 09-27-2018 at 01:22 AM. Reason: * = Weird, wild stuff

^^vv<><>BASTART
    To think there was a time when I was what these forums used to be about.

... come to think of it, there was a point (mid-2006, I think) when these forums were all about FGR and Wookie06*. "Oh no, FGR hates America! Oh no, Wookie06 is crazy!"

Alas...
    My apologies for being the harbinger of the Massassi apocalypse.

In case there's gonna be a Holiday Logo Contest this year, I'm gonna dig up my "Massassi Retirement Home" one to highlight this new* era.
    Last edited by Nikumubeki; 09-27-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: * = Actually not new, but I'll go with that anyway

Wish he removed those old versions of TODOA while at it
    Still do, btw *wink wink nudge nudge*

I don't remember any of that. What's TODOA?
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

Admiral of Awesome
    Truth Of Destruction Of A-something

America?
    "I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

, **** yeah!

Name:  new-yorker-obamas_custom-075209aa12d91bd12237cea294a9cdb01e11f1bf-s300-c85.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  47.8 KB

All this for a damned flag?

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    , **** yeah!

Name:  new-yorker-obamas_custom-075209aa12d91bd12237cea294a9cdb01e11f1bf-s300-c85.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  47.8 KB
    lol was that really the cover? That's amazing.