Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anything Degenerate Weapons of Mass Destruction
Anything Degenerate Weapons of Mass Destruction
2018-08-08, 8:58 PM #1
So I am trying to figure out what I need to get the fsb off of a ****ty ar I have because it's all ****ed up, and I figured hey, I bet a bunch of these internet people who don't usually post have guns, we should talk about them instead of the way we usually talk about them.

What do you guys have going on gun wise, those that do?

I'm eyeing this

(Ignore this idiot making messy kills.)

I also really want two guns in .45-70, like a sharps and a Marlin SBR because I'm almost certainly not ever going to use most of my other guns for anything other than pretending I am keeping up my dubiously valuable marine corps marksmanship skills and that round will help me kill dangerous wildlife when I am going out of heart disease and cancer in alaska while the world burns down. Also it would be fun to shoot black powder out of a gun that isn't a terrifying muzzle loader.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2018-08-08, 9:00 PM #2
never took you for a gun owner
former entrepreneur
2018-08-08, 9:01 PM #3
also, have u seen this thread? https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?68014-Anything-thread-titles
former entrepreneur
2018-08-08, 9:22 PM #4
FSB pins are tapered and only usually drive out one way - left out, right in. Usually, you would soak them in some oil first then pop them out with a brass punch.

I still have my patrol rifle and a couple of others from when I was with the sheriff's office. I don't really like the AR platform for anything other than it's intended duty purposes. I learned a lot about them and had interest at the time, but it was a tool for my job. Now that I don't hold that job anymore, I'm not particularly fond of them. I don't care who owns them or want to see them more heavily regulated or whatever, I just don't particularly care for it as a platform. It just doesn't interest me.

That said, I do own one "hunting" AR-15 chambered in .450 Bushmaster. I adore it. I load it to shoot a .452 bullet weighing 200gr at just under 2500fps. It's basically a semi-auto 45-70 gov. The rifle weighs 8lbs out the door and does five shots in under an inch at 100yds. Recoil is mild. It will take down anything that walks on this continent. I have witnessed the tremendous effect it has on four deer and one black bear. I only utilize a 5 round magazine, because it's used exclusively for hunting, and anything I can't finish with five rounds is not something I should be hunting.
2018-08-08, 9:29 PM #5
Originally posted by Eversor:

Thread titles schmitles - someone should close the Trump thread so I could start the sequel.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2018-08-08, 9:30 PM #6
(Not that it would stop someone else starting another sequel with that one overtaking the Camhoez/Classic "What Are You Listening To" threads, but still)
2018-08-08, 9:45 PM #7
never took you for a gun owner

lmao a person raised utah mormon who is a near term human extintction collapsenik who is an Iraq veteran you never took as a gun owner?

This was a direct reference to that

Originally posted by Steven:
FSB pins are tapered and only usually drive out one way - left out, right in. Usually, you would soak them in some oil first then pop them out with a brass punch.

I still have my patrol rifle and a couple of others from when I was with the sheriff's office. I don't really like the AR platform for anything other than it's intended duty purposes. I learned a lot about them and had interest at the time, but it was a tool for my job. Now that I don't hold that job anymore, I'm not particularly fond of them. I don't care who owns them or want to see them more heavily regulated or whatever, I just don't particularly care for it as a platform. It just doesn't interest me.

That said, I do own one "hunting" AR-15 chambered in .450 Bushmaster. I adore it. I load it to shoot a .452 bullet weighing 200gr at just under 2500fps. It's basically a semi-auto 45-70 gov. The rifle weighs 8lbs out the door and does five shots in under an inch at 100yds. Recoil is mild. It will take down anything that walks on this continent. I have witnessed the tremendous effect it has on four deer and one black bear. I only utilize a 5 round magazine, because it's used exclusively for hunting, and anything I can't finish with five rounds is not something I should be hunting.

Yeah I just don't have a punch set right now and I like to do things with the right tools so I'm kind of just in limbo. I am mostly drawn to the ar platform because I have a looooooot of trigger time on the platform. Do you have any idea how much it costs you per round to reload that round?

FGR, I don't think that a non-american should be able to start the trump sequel. I will however allow you to MC the new thread.
2018-08-08, 9:47 PM #8
The topic and the content of the thread itself remain irrelevant to me. But Eversor having the thread with the most posts on Massassi must be prevented!

I mean, I tried to appeal to Brian twice on the matter: https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?67956-Jumping-the-shark&highlight https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?68011-Almost-there&highlight=
2018-08-08, 10:34 PM #9
Originally posted by Spook:
Do you have any idea how much it costs you per round to reload that round?

Hard to say. I only shoot the good hunting bullets three or four times a year - once to confirm zero, once at a deer, once at a bear, and maybe once at a second deer if the opportunity presents itself. The bullets alone are $1.00 each at normal price. I only buy them when I can find blems and then I buy a ton. I also reuse my brass a few times. When I get low, I buy a box of factory ammo, shoot it, and reload that brass a few times.

I use cheap FMJ bullets and a light load for practice. And since it's the AR platform, I've built a .223/5.55 upper with a similar weight profile and the exact same optic. I mount it to the hunting lower and shoot cheap .225/5.56 rounds for trigger time. I only shoot 30 or 40 of the .450 rounds a year.
2018-08-09, 4:30 AM #10
I've been slowly building an AR over the last few years (yeah, years, not really focusing on it until recently). Lower's built, except the trigger guard pin keeps binding when I drive it in so I need to ream that hole out slightly larger.

Other than that I have a Mosin Nagant that I'm probably going to put into an Archangel stock eventually so it's nicer to shoot, and my carry is an XDm.

I'm holding onto a percussion cap long rifle that I've worked out to be from right around 1900. Needs a little aesthetic work, someone obviously tried themselves and wrecked the finish. Not sure if it'll be fired again but the family member would like to just have it look nice for a mantle piece.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2018-08-09, 10:06 AM #11
You might consider a Boyd's At-One stock for your mosin. Only a little bit more costly than the archangel, but quality is outstanding. Fully adjustable for LOP and cheek rise, but it's wood laminate so it still looks classy and not like form molded plastic. You can get the laminate in all sorts of cool color combos.

I put one on my wife's Savage and it's excellent. She really likes it. She's also a fantastic marksman (markswoman?) and can easily out shoot me on my best day.
2018-08-09, 10:15 AM #12
I need to buy a bunch of AR-5 and AR-10 lowers in the next couple of years. When Trump looses the next election, there's going to be another panic. Probably should grab some cheap magazines while I'm at it.

Though, I think what I really like are old bolt action military rifles. The Swiss K31 straight pull actions is really cool. I'd also like an M1 Garand, though it's not technically bolt action.
2018-08-09, 10:30 AM #13
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Though, I think what I really like are old bolt action military rifles. The Swiss K31 straight pull actions is really cool. I'd also like an M1 Garand, though it's not technically bolt action.

I agree with Obi_Kwiet, AGAIN
This is getting annoying

I have a K31 and it's amazing. It is an excellent shooter using bulk surplus ammo. The straight pull is really cool, and everything about it is well designed and even better built. Those Swiss really knew what they were doing.

I also have a 1908 Swedish Mauser which also shoots amazingly. I have a ****ty mosin and an even ****tier k98. I'm saving up for a Garand from the CMP. Hopefully it will be a Christmas present to myself.
2018-08-09, 4:39 PM #14
Oh man, now I need one for sure. Maybe Christmas. I'm halfway through getting the stuff to get into racing/freestyle quads, so I have to pace myself a bit.

I have an old G98 Mauser my great Uncle brought back from World War 1. Sadly, it's sporterized, so the serials don't match, but it's all German. I love the action on that thing. I've shot the Nagant, and while it's a serviceable weapon, I just don't enjoy the action at all. Maybe a nicer one would have felt better. The bolt movement was just so clunky and disappointing.
2018-08-09, 4:45 PM #15
Get your class 03 FFL (it's $30 and good for three years) and hunt for one online. I got mine online, inexpensively ($189), because it was "broken." A single action screw was broken. The head had broken off and the body was in the action. I used a screw extractor and got the broken piece out, the ordered a new one form Numrich for $2.00. Perfect working gun $191.
2018-08-09, 8:38 PM #16
I have a 1903a3, which is basically a stolen mauser action and I love to just sit and cycle the bolt. It's so satisfying. However it's sporterized with a synthetic stock and that .30-06 gives a good kick in a gun lightened up that much.
2018-08-09, 9:29 PM #17
Dang, that's cheaper than most people charge for an FFL transfer! I'll definitely do that!
2018-08-09, 10:41 PM #18
Yeah, it's really nice (unless you live in CA or NJ or MA, etc). You can have any firearm over 50 years old shipped right to your house. Make sure you do not sign the official license they send; most places want an "in the ink" copy. Make a dozen copies and keep the unsigned original in your safe. Sign the copies in blue or red ink.

They have a few minor rules like keeping a logbook, not making certain major or permanent modifications, and not engaging in business, but they're simple and easy to follow. There are a number of websites with helpful info about the license and rules.

Also, a lot of vendors offer a discount for license holders.

Here's some info:
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/getting-a-type-03-ffl/

There's a part about the ATF being able to search your home. It's sort of true. They're allowed to inspect your collection, and compare it to your logbook. They don't come kick in your door. All they can do is see your collection and compare it to your book. They can't make unannounced intrusions into your home like they can into the business premises of commercial 01 dealers. They have to make an appointment to view your collection. If feasible, you can take your collection and book to a local ATF office or other agreed upon location and they will never set foot in your house. If you go crazy and buy 200 Mosin's or something, I dunno, rent a uhaul. I wouldn't let them into my home, but I've never had an inspection and I'm not trusting of the government (I used to work for them). My license is now expired and I destroyed my logbook. An acquaintance of mine had an inspection once in the 25 years he held his license; an ATF agent called him made an appointment. They never entered the house; he placed his collection outside and they sat on his back patio and compared his 30 piece collection with his log book. It took about 45 minutes and I am told it was very pleasant. That was years ago, things may be different now.

Under this administration, I suspect the inspections are not prioritized. Under another president or in some states it may be different.
2018-08-11, 11:17 AM #19
I bought a Windham Weaponry M4 in 2013 I think. I'm comfortable with the platform and already had a bunch of magazines. A year or two later I picked up a 9mm M&P Shield for my wife, wink, wink. Really not into guns or shooting at the present, I just feel it is irresponsible to not own any firearms. It's pretty easy to get carry permits in Tennessee and I will probably do so at some point in case I ever feel the need to do so.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-08-15, 6:51 PM #20
We have to get these weapons of war off our streets!
2018-08-17, 1:20 PM #21
that guy posts on /k/ for sure
2018-08-17, 1:56 PM #22
Originally posted by Wookie06:
I bought a Windham Weaponry M4 in 2013 I think. I'm comfortable with the platform and already had a bunch of magazines. A year or two later I picked up a 9mm M&P Shield for my wife, wink, wink. Really not into guns or shooting at the present, I just feel it is irresponsible to not own any firearms. It's pretty easy to get carry permits in Tennessee and I will probably do so at some point in case I ever feel the need to do so.

Why would not owning a gun be irresponsible?
2018-08-17, 2:44 PM #23
i can't own where i am so I am LEGALLY irresponsible lolololOLOOLO
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2018-08-17, 2:49 PM #24
Originally posted by mb:
i can't own where i am so I am LEGALLY irresponsible lolololOLOOLO

get the **** out of this thread then fatso
2018-08-17, 4:45 PM #25
Originally posted by Reid:
Why would not owning a gun be irresponsible?

cuz one day you're gonna need it, when they come for your brains

2018-08-17, 5:27 PM #26
someday someone will come for your virginity

maybe
2018-08-17, 5:29 PM #27
I told her no
2018-08-17, 5:30 PM #28
And also him
2018-08-17, 5:32 PM #29
wow you don't want to have sex with anyone ever

are you my wife
2018-08-17, 5:33 PM #30
Also, I picked that picture because it looks like they are preparing for the zombie apocalypse or something
2018-08-17, 5:35 PM #31
Originally posted by Steven:
wow you don't want to have sex with anyone ever

are you my wife

At least if they have the courtesy to ask me out rather than treating me like an object

Edit: not that that has anything to do with the second half of your message...
2018-08-17, 5:42 PM #32
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
And also him

In retrospect, I'm kind of a social moron, because I realize now I was basically asking for it (and maybe kind of a prude, too).

Edit: And now is where I learn to stop and shut up before I say too much
2018-08-17, 5:46 PM #33
i don't even know what you're talking about anymore (or usually, for that matter)
2018-08-17, 5:46 PM #34
That's really probably better for everyone involved actually.
2018-08-17, 5:50 PM #35
This book might help
2018-08-17, 5:54 PM #36
Anyway back on topic, i wanna get one of these
2018-08-17, 5:56 PM #37
I seem to remember this being a meme, where some media outlet (CNN?) didn't realize it was something of a joke. Or maybe it's not a joke? Wtf would you use one of those things for anyway? Cutting bone to get to the brains so that you can eat them?
2018-08-17, 6:01 PM #38
While we're on the topic of hooking up and guns, what the heck is it with guys who think that women are attracted to weapons? Is this true??
2018-08-17, 6:05 PM #39
USA today ran it in a serious article after that ******* shot up the HS on Valentine's Day. Or maybe the church in TX. It is completely impractical and entirely useless and not even a real thing. I heard someone actually made one (probably one of Spook's relatives), but they're certainly not common or useful.

A lot of silly memes were made, including a T-Rex attachment, a shark with a frickin laser beam on its head, a lightsaber, and the most deadly: an AR15 with attached AR15.

2018-08-17, 6:07 PM #40
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
While we're on the topic of hooking up and guns, what the heck is it with guys who think that women are attracted to weapons? Is this true??

Probably teenagers or "incels" who think it's cool. Just like the "m'lady crowd" and the "swords are still cool" crowd, there are lots of weirdos out there.

↑ Up to the top!