Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anything Star Was: Boba Fett: The TV Show
Anything Star Was: Boba Fett: The TV Show
2018-10-04, 5:01 PM #1
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-revealed

The most overrated character in the movies now has his own show!
Well, I guess it's not really Boba Fett, 'cos he got eaten by a space vagina monster, but he had no personality and like five lines so whatever.

I'm not really excited about it or looking forward to it, but I'll probably watch it anyway (well, at least the first couple of episodes, but not if it's only on that new Disney Netflix).
2018-10-04, 5:07 PM #2
Not interested. They killed Star Wars for me. Besides, it is on that Disney streaming service which reminds me, for those of you that watched Discovery, how did you watch it?
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-10-04, 5:08 PM #3
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Not interested. They killed Star Wars for me. Besides, it is on that Disney streaming service which reminds me, for those of you that watched Discovery, how did you watch it?

N.B.: Wookie06 is not asking what streaming service you used.
2018-10-04, 5:36 PM #4
Actually, I'm asking because I can't imagine that anybody here would have paid for CBS. I don't really need an answer to exactly how someone watched it if they didn't use a legitimate streaming service. I thought the question would open a can of worms.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-10-04, 6:17 PM #5
The irony is that the rest of the world actually can watch Discovery on Netflix. It's only CBS-restricted in the USA (and maybe Canada).
2018-10-04, 6:56 PM #6
So, looking on Amazon for Discovery options (halfheartedly because I don't care that much) I see blurays releasing next month but they're too much. Also, they have Solo as a $2.99 rental. I got about four dollars in credit. Guess I'm watching Solo.

2018-10-04, 8:01 PM #7
I loved Jon Favreau in Swingers
former entrepreneur
2018-10-04, 8:01 PM #8
and Chef
former entrepreneur
2018-10-05, 7:15 AM #9
I watched Star Trek Discovery half using the CBS trial on amazon and then I ended up paying for a month before I cancelled. I left a review on a thread here somewhere. It was not great. The premise/plot line was all over the place, seems like it was written by a 3 year old. You can probably fit it in to their 7 day trial or whatever if you binge it. But you may not want to finish it anyway.

Everyone liked Boba Fett because of his costume and his gadgets and his ship. Oh, didn't he sort of standup to or question Vader at some point? I remember being super pissed when he got killed because of how stupid it was. That movie got worse from there.

I'll watch the show because additional directors include... "Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok)"
2018-10-05, 7:24 AM #10
Like CM said, Discovery is on Netflix over here. I enjoyed it but I'm not sure it ever really felt like Star Trek to me.

I'm just going to leave this here.

nope.
2018-10-05, 7:59 AM #11
Boba Fett? Boba Fett?! Where???
2018-10-05, 8:11 AM #12
This reminds me of how no one got the sly Diary of a Crazed Mimbanite reference I put here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir-zQtC2Ki8#t=7m11s
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2018-10-05, 8:12 AM #13
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Like CM said, Discovery is on Netflix over here. I enjoyed it but I'm not sure it ever really felt like Star Trek to me.

[https://www.massassi.net/dcm/dcm/strips/09.gif]
2018-10-05, 11:08 AM #14
Originally posted by Baconfish:

Argh, now this ruined my childhood!
2018-10-05, 11:18 AM #15
DONOT WORRY, new boba fett will doubtless be JACKEd
2018-10-05, 12:24 PM #16
Originally posted by Brian:
Argh, now this ruined my childhood!

How `bout this: "I had the honor, of taking Yoda's head, and thrusting it on a PVC tube for to see!!! MUAHAHAHA"

2018-10-05, 4:50 PM #17
Yoda was obviously always a puppet. Boba Fett was not obviously some old dude with glasses :(

(yes I realize I just described myself)
2018-10-05, 5:14 PM #18
Well, that was from the special edition. Even twenty years ago they were all old. BTW, prequel Fett is in the new extended trailer for Aquaman. Blink and you'll miss it.

2018-10-05, 6:01 PM #19
You completely lost me. Are you saying that photo is from some scenes they reshot or added for the special editions? If so then I don't care anymore.

And now why are we talking about aquaman? You're saying "prequel Fett" (Jango Fett) is in Aquaman? wth?
2018-10-05, 6:24 PM #20
It would have been a lot more interesting if Boba Fett really did look like that. At least more interesting than “perfectly bronzed space marine with a Hollywood-trendy accent”
2018-10-05, 6:52 PM #21
Originally posted by Brian:
You completely lost me. Are you saying that photo is from some scenes they reshot or added for the special editions? If so then I don't care anymore.

And now why are we talking about aquaman? You're saying "prequel Fett" (Jango Fett) is in Aquaman? wth?

Well, it's been awhile but isn't that red haired dancer from the special edition? Also, the actor that played Jango is Aquaman's dad in the newest extended trailer. Oh, spoiler alert.

2018-10-05, 6:54 PM #22
Actually, now that I think about it, I think I have all those dancers in a boxed figure set.

2018-10-05, 7:02 PM #23

Yep.

2018-10-05, 7:15 PM #24
Originally posted by Wookie06:
Well, it's been awhile but isn't that red haired dancer from the special edition? Also, the actor that played Jango is Aquaman's dad in the newest extended trailer. Oh, spoiler alert.

I don't even remember the Special Edition changes. As a kid I had VHS taped off TV recordings of the theatrical releases, then the VHS box set of the old trilogy that was the 1993 rerelease, which were pretty faithful minus a few changes, but have some issues. I saw the special editions once, but as an adult I was able to download Harmy's despecialized.

I do remember some of the CGI being awful and distracting. And like wasn't emperor palpatine changed in ESB?
2018-10-05, 7:21 PM #25
I will say Lucas' "original vision" bull**** was pretty dumb and he should have accepted that the special editions were pretty bad.
2018-10-05, 7:21 PM #26
Yeah, they changed him to match who they later cast for RotJ. I don't remember all the change either. Some I liked and others were minor. A few I hated so much they're so memorable! Anyway, I have a VHS collection that was released prior to the SEs that are the best quality "original" version officially released. I found myself in England around that time and looked hard for their release which was supposed to be in a tin but I couldn't find it. I've tried a few different methods over the years to capture the video off these tapes but without success. I have an adapter that takes composite to hdmi and I wonder if I had an hdmi capture card if it word circumvent the vhs copy protection.

2018-10-05, 7:33 PM #27
Was it this one?

[https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/817bhNs0NhL._SY445_.jpg]

This is the one I had that was pretty much defining for me.
2018-10-05, 8:46 PM #28
It also admitted that GL was about to **** it all up.

"This will be your last chance to own the original version of STAR WARS!"

2018-10-05, 8:50 PM #29
There is also the laserdisc version which is supposed to be good.

That said, just torrent the despecialized edition to get the best of all worlds.
2018-10-05, 9:12 PM #30
2018-10-05, 9:43 PM #31
God damn, don’t remind me of that stupid bull****. Years ago I used a VCR as an RF modulator to hook a DVD player up to my TV. I spent hours trying to figure out why I could only get a blank white screen until I finally figured out that the stupid ******* who implemented Macrovision on the VCR did it on the input instead of on the write end.

There’s a special place in hell for any class traitor engineer who’s ever worked on DRM.
2018-10-05, 10:01 PM #32
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
There is also the laserdisc version which is supposed to be good.

That said, just torrent the despecialized edition to get the best of all worlds.

I was wondering what resolution laserdiscs were, and I found out they were apparently analog signals, which blows my mind for some reason.
2018-10-05, 10:04 PM #33

I never saw the long version, that was cool. Harmy is a god amongst men for doing what he did.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
God damn, don’t remind me of that stupid bull****. Years ago I used a VCR as an RF modulator to hook a DVD player up to my TV. I spent hours trying to figure out why I could only get a blank white screen until I finally figured out that the stupid ******* who implemented Macrovision on the VCR did it on the input instead of on the write end.

There’s a special place in hell for any class traitor engineer who’s ever worked on DRM.

Yeah, and the fact they would continue using Macrovision on DVD recorders says quite a bit. In order to convert some VHS tapes we had to buy a device which filters out the Macrovision signal.
2018-10-05, 10:05 PM #34
Also looking back to the prequels, holy crap did the CGI not age well. Revenge of the Sith looks bad.

CGI is good but bad CGI is extra bad, and Lucas is very prolific at bad CGI.
2018-10-05, 10:13 PM #35
It is going to be a very long time before we have CGI that actually ages well.
2018-10-05, 10:13 PM #36
Originally posted by Reid:
I never saw the long version, that was cool. Harmy is a god amongst men for doing what he did.

Yes! I actually haven't seen the despecialized editions myself. Too lazy to torrent them, but I'll get around to it someday.

What blows my mind the most is the idea that they were able to "upscale" some grainy ass video to HD for the despecialized edition. I imagine this simply involves some kind of interpolation (and perhaps my ignorance here is showing), but the final result looks damn good.
2018-10-05, 10:20 PM #37
It is going to be a very long time before we have CGI that actually ages well.

Yeah.. any filmmaker should take note: CGI should be used to enhance scenes and be used sparingly enough. Don't go the GL route and substitute actual sets for CGI.

Yes! I actually haven't seen the despecialized editions myself. Too lazy to torrent them, but I'll get around to it someday.

What blows my mind the most is the idea that they were able to "upscale" some grainy ass video to HD for the despecialized edition. I imagine this simply involves some kind of interpolation (and perhaps my ignorance here is showing), but the final result looks damn good.

Basically interpolation, yeah, and probably quite a few manual knobs that have to be tweaked to get each scene looking just right.
2018-10-05, 10:22 PM #38
When they did Gollum in LotR the model looks ok, but they rotoscoped the shadows. Darken and desaturate, probably just multiplied the pixels by 0.8 or something. It looked so good when the movie first came out but it looks like such dumb **** today that those scenes are hard to watch.

CGI is bad. Not just 3D model stuff, I mean digital compositing too. It looks bad, it looks fake, you never think it looks good you’re just inured to it. It makes everything a spectacle so that nothing is a spectacle, no set pieces are special anymore the way old movies were. Everything is so easy to build and change that it encourages sloppiness. I guess it’s nice that people can afford to do more with less, but back when you had to build a 10 foot model and spend millions on stock footage to last an entire series, you had to think things through carefully. Your designs, your models, your shots. Filmmakers have gotten lazy and it shows.
2018-10-05, 10:33 PM #39
When they did Gollum in LotR the model looks ok, but they rotoscoped the shadows. Darken and desaturate, probably just multiplied the pixels by 0.8 or something. It looked so good when the movie first came out but it looks like such dumb **** today that those scenes are hard to watch.

CGI is bad. Not just 3D model stuff, I mean digital compositing too. It looks bad, it looks fake, you never think it looks good you’re just inured to it. It makes everything a spectacle so that nothing is a spectacle, no set pieces are special anymore the way old movies were. Everything is so easy to build and change that it encourages sloppiness. I guess it’s nice that people can afford to do more with less, but back when you had to build a 10 foot model and spend millions on stock footage to last an entire series, you had to think things through carefully. Your designs, your models, your shots. Filmmakers have gotten lazy and it shows.

Probably a contributing factor to why Fellowship has aged the best of the LotR movies. It definitely uses the most real sets and the least CGI. On top of other filmmaking factors like editing.
2018-10-05, 10:37 PM #40

Damn, you're right. This looks pretty bad. And, for contemporary CGI, this looks really good. Lots of work went into making this.

They would have had a better time if they just hired a weird-looking person to play the part, tbh.

↑ Up to the top!