Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Couple years too late, but I just realized NoESC...
Couple years too late, but I just realized NoESC...
2018-10-15, 11:20 AM #1
Couple years too late, but I just realized NoESC probably works at Apple.
2018-10-15, 11:48 AM #2
How can you tell?
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2018-10-15, 11:50 AM #3
Then he should send me a preview Mac Pro to use as a build machine.
2018-10-15, 12:01 PM #4
If so, he better explain why Apple decided to eviscerate their once-decent keyboard.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2018-10-15, 12:33 PM #5
I’ll agree they made it worse at least...
2018-10-15, 1:00 PM #6
My friend has the new Macbook with the stupid keyboard.

About 8 weeks into use, one of the keys just fell off. He took it into Apple. Apple said there was "water damage" and it would be $1200 for a new mobo, since it's all glued together.

Apple also told him this isn't covered under their new keyboard coverage stuff they started after all the keyboard drama this year, because again of said water damage. Despite the fact there's nothing wrong with the Mac, it's never been submerged, etc. Just a key popped off.

He agreed, having no other option than to use a broken keyboard forever.

About 10 weeks after the replacement, another key pops off. Apple still won't cover it, wants another $1200.

Anyone who buys Apple at this point just loves burning money.
2018-10-15, 1:02 PM #7
Originally posted by Tenshu:
How can you tell?

It’s the Touch Bar.
2018-10-15, 1:03 PM #8
Originally posted by Cool Matty:

Yeah, but he gets a new one, or motherboard at least, every couple of months or so for only $1200. What a bargain!
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-10-15, 1:30 PM #9
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
peeeeeeeee much
2018-10-15, 5:08 PM #10
I really love Linux but lately I've been disappointed because of the lackluster support for high dpi screens. This only matters for laptops really so maybe I should just buy a desktop. And I should qualify this further by saying I've only tried various versions and flavors of Ubuntu.

I tried a Dell XPS 13 and I now have a Lenovo Flex 15. The XPS 13 had a number of build quality issues so I ended up returning it but it had all the same screen resolution and DPI problems I am having with the Flex 15. I can't remember exactly what resolution is the "native" anymore or what DPI it actually uses. It worked fine in Windows 10 but as is documented elsewhere I just hate Windows 10 (I could probably get used to it if they'd let me turn off telemetry completely and also forced updates, oh and also all that crap where they add advertisements/apps to the menu bars, notifications, login window, etc. [yes I know you can turn all that stuff off in various places but as soon as you add a new user to the machine it all turns back on for them] -- gah here I go again, ok back to Linux).

I can set everything up reasonably well for either the laptop screen or an external (1080) monitor, but not both/either. When I say "not either" I mean I can't have it work properly when I'm using the laptop screen and then have it also work properly when I switch to the external monitor. The act of switching means I have to go back in and configure the display settings and various application-specific settings. There's no global setting that just scales everything. It's really annoying. And only certain display managers and desktop environments even try; for example XFCE, which I've used for so long I can't even remember, doesn't seem to try at all, whereas cinnamon, which I am relatively happy with, does seem to "auto" detect what type of display it's outputting to, but that doesn't take care of the app-specific settings.

These issues don't seem to affect either mac or windows. Maybe next decade linux will catch up? Or maybe I have to switch to KDE? Ugh. Or Fedora??? Double-Ugh.

I do use a mac for work and it's just ok. I'm not convinced about their big PR push for "privacy." I do appreciate that more people are supposedly thinking about it now but Apple still collects way too much information, and they're not transparent about it at all, and there's no way to opt out of it in most cases (if you still want to be semi-functional anyway).

Just for a simple example, take the app store. The first time you try to use it they tell you that they're going to track everything you do, including every search and every click and how long you stay reading each app and everything. In order to "improve" their service. Sure. How about just give me the option to opt out of that? How about don't record every single little thing I do ever? Sure, they're 100x better than google and microsoft and whoever else because they don't turn around and sell that information to whoever wants it (supposedly), but how about don't collect it in the first place.

Also, does anyone know how much information is shared with app developers when you purchase an app? Download a free app? Do an in-app purchase? Name/address/email/phone number?
2018-10-15, 5:19 PM #11
A salted app specific advertising ID, and only if the user doesn’t opt out. The TOS prohibits any attempt to extract user information without consent or deanonymize the app specific advertising ID and it is strictly enforced.
2018-10-15, 6:24 PM #12
my life's goal was to **** over vi users
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2018-10-15, 6:33 PM #13
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Then he should send me a preview Mac Pro to use as a build machine.

https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?67250-Gorc&p=1187436&viewfull=1#post1187436

:(
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2018-10-15, 6:43 PM #14
Oh. Oh, no. I'd install Linux on it.
2018-10-15, 6:45 PM #15
REQUEST DENIED
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2018-10-15, 6:51 PM #16
On the off chance you DO work for Apple, please heed.

Y'all make no hardware that's any good for CI servers. Software companies gotta put this **** in racks. You guys don't even make stuff that's good to go on top of a desk. I'm positive you guys aren't running your iOS CI builds on a farm of Mac Minis and ****, so you know this already. You probably hacked up some internal build of OSX to run headless on some ugly commodity servers without the hardware check.

I get that this is some edge case stuff and you'll never make money doing it yourselves, but it's a real huge pain in the ass for anybody who wants to target your platforms for Serious Business. Just partner with some ugly server hardware company like Dell or something.
2018-10-15, 6:54 PM #17
My last company used a farm of Mac Minis for our OSX builds. They were so slow that we could only run a build once a week. We wanted to support it better but it naturally became a Tier 2 thing because the total lack of usable rackmount OSX build machines was a hard stop for us. If we hadn't had current paying customers on OSX (dating back to XServe days) we never would have done a port at all.

This was a Fortune 500.
2018-10-15, 7:06 PM #18
I don't. Our companies only deploy macOS and iOS devices for our users. At one point we relied on Xserve and Mac Pros server side, but Apple made it pretty clear with 10.7 server where things were going... The recent update to macOS Server removed practically everything but Profile Manager.

I'm not expecting much from the new "modular" Mac Pro either. I'd love for them to bring back a form factor like the 2012 model, but we'll likely get something completely integrated. Maybe PCIe / eGPU over Thunderbolt 3 will be considered modular...
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2018-10-15, 7:11 PM #19
It's also pretty sad that my 2012 i7 Mac mini outperforms the 2014 model, which is still for sale. Released 4 years ago as of tomorrow.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2018-10-15, 9:30 PM #20
The next Mac Pro will be just as trash as the last one, because Apple doesn't understand what professionals expect from a workstation (despite CLAIMING to employ thousands of them).

Like to them, "modularity" probably means some upgrade ****. Oh, you don't need that! You're an Apple customer! Your computer won't last 3 years anyway, so just buy a new one whenever you outgrow it!

But modularity is really about $$$$ like minimizing downtime, component redundancy, on-premise serviceability and access to parts and manuals. Even if Apple believed this was a requirement they would NEVER do it. They don't even let their authorized service providers order spare parts. Even if Apple had a standard workstation feature like hot swappable power supplies it wouldn't matter because you'd have to bring the broken one to the Genius Bar before they'll give you a replacement. (But let's be real, they'll be caseless, glued-in death traps like the iMac Pro's.)

Ugh. God damn it, NoESC. You should know better than to talk around the Mac Pro around a fellow former owner.
2018-10-16, 12:29 AM #21
Originally posted by Brian:
I really love Linux but lately I've been disappointed because of the lackluster support for high dpi screens. This only matters for laptops really so maybe I should just buy a desktop. And I should qualify this further by saying I've only tried various versions and flavors of Ubuntu.

I tried a Dell XPS 13 and I now have a Lenovo Flex 15. The XPS 13 had a number of build quality issues so I ended up returning it but it had all the same screen resolution and DPI problems I am having with the Flex 15. I can't remember exactly what resolution is the "native" anymore or what DPI it actually uses. It worked fine in Windows 10 but as is documented elsewhere I just hate Windows 10 (I could probably get used to it if they'd let me turn off telemetry completely and also forced updates, oh and also all that crap where they add advertisements/apps to the menu bars, notifications, login window, etc. [yes I know you can turn all that stuff off in various places but as soon as you add a new user to the machine it all turns back on for them] -- gah here I go again, ok back to Linux).

I can set everything up reasonably well for either the laptop screen or an external (1080) monitor, but not both/either. When I say "not either" I mean I can't have it work properly when I'm using the laptop screen and then have it also work properly when I switch to the external monitor. The act of switching means I have to go back in and configure the display settings and various application-specific settings. There's no global setting that just scales everything. It's really annoying. And only certain display managers and desktop environments even try; for example XFCE, which I've used for so long I can't even remember, doesn't seem to try at all, whereas cinnamon, which I am relatively happy with, does seem to "auto" detect what type of display it's outputting to, but that doesn't take care of the app-specific settings.

These issues don't seem to affect either mac or windows. Maybe next decade linux will catch up? Or maybe I have to switch to KDE? Ugh. Or Fedora??? Double-Ugh.

That's been bugging me as well. And it started for me with the XPS 13 as well. I now have a 15" Thinkpad with a 4k screen and I just run it at half resolution because it's too much hassle to setup everything. I heard that it's supposed to work with Unity or Gnome 3 (or whatever the default in Ubuntu is) pretty well. But I'm too used to KDE. They're working on it, but it's sloooooowwww. And the sad reason is probably because it works more or less perfectly fine on Wayland.

Wayland is pretty stable. Does all the screen scaling-stuff perfectly. And I did not have any crashes or other bugs. But it does not support primary selection (middle click paste) at all and for some reason they seem to be reluctant to implement it. And that's a total dealbreaker. Middle click paste is one of two things I miss the most when I'm forced to use Windows. So I can't live without and contend with a smaller resolution for the time being.

Not that it matters much, 4k isn't that great. But it irks me.
Sorry for the lousy German
2018-10-16, 6:11 AM #22
Couple years too late, but I just realized that NoESC kinda sounds like No Escape.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2018-10-16, 11:03 AM #23
Middle click pasting is literally satan's butthole of usability. Oh, I was scrolling and I just pasted a bunch of BS into my terminal? Fantastic
2018-10-16, 11:07 AM #24
My first instinct is “why is it a graphics server’s job to deal with a clipboard” but then I remember the living hell of current Linux where nobody deals with it
2018-10-16, 1:26 PM #25
Yeah, the satan thing was more or less the reason given for not including it. I wouldn't mind if it were picked up by the DE or something else. I just like it to have a quick clipboard available.
2018-10-16, 1:35 PM #26
My first instinct is “why is it a graphics server’s job to deal with a clipboard” but then I remember the living hell of current Linux where nobody deals with it

"Everything is a half-assed server" goes back way before Linux.
2018-10-16, 4:07 PM #27
There is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.
2018-10-20, 11:45 PM #28
Originally posted by NoESC:
my life's goal was to **** over vi users
I never understood the rationale behind one of the most oft-used keys being unreachable from home row in a text editor that bills itself as the user never having to leave home row. I've long since mapped to jk. It's funny because why would I ever want to type jk?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2018-10-21, 12:10 AM #29
The only reason why Bill Joy used HJKL instead of arrow keys when he wrote vi back in the 70's at Berkeley, is that the keyboard he was developing on had arrow keys printed on those keys (and nowhere else):

You can also see why Emacs is the way it is:

https://github.com/blinkkin/blinkkin.github.com/wiki/Editors-and-keyboards
2018-10-21, 12:24 AM #30
Ah, I see now. Pretty interesting. As for hjkl, years of playing roguelikes has cemented it in muscle memory. When picking up vim years later, I hit the ground running for sure.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2018-10-21, 12:42 PM #31
On the off chance you DO work for Apple, please heed.

Y'all make no hardware that's any good for CI servers. Software companies gotta put this **** in racks. You guys don't even make stuff that's good to go on top of a desk. I'm positive you guys aren't running your iOS CI builds on a farm of Mac Minis and ****, so you know this already. You probably hacked up some internal build of OSX to run headless on some ugly commodity servers without the hardware check.

I get that this is some edge case stuff and you'll never make money doing it yourselves, but it's a real huge pain in the ass for anybody who wants to target your platforms for Serious Business. Just partner with some ugly server hardware company like Dell or something.

I'm pretty sure they just don't care. They have their target demographic, and aren't interested in expanding beyond it.
2018-10-21, 1:57 PM #32
So do I have to change my sig now?
nope.
2018-10-21, 2:03 PM #33
/me rides Baconfish
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2018-10-24, 8:05 AM #34
*Baconfish 'splodes*
nope.
2018-10-30, 3:12 PM #35
hey jonc, tim cook said you could just rack up a bunch of mac minis so consider your problem solved
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2018-10-30, 3:30 PM #36
Originally posted by NoESC:
hey jonc, tim cook said you could just rack up a bunch of mac minis so consider your problem solved

**** Tim Cook
2018-10-30, 8:05 PM #37
I don't know how he prefers his men but he might be into it
2018-11-14, 1:25 AM #38
Looks like my prayers were answered, as primary selection was just added to the wayland protocols 1.17. https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2018-November/039662.html
2018-11-14, 2:07 AM #39
Speaking of Wayland, I’d like to offer a data point: I ran Ubuntu 17.04, 17.10, and 18.04 on my old thinkpad and I never even noticed that 17.10 was using Weston.
2018-11-14, 2:19 PM #40
I'm running Wayland on a GPD Pocket 2 (intel GPU), and it's been mostly great. Then yesterday I wanted to compile Sheepshaver to emulate old MacOS, and it refused because X11 was missing...
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT

↑ Up to the top!