Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Building a 5 GPU computer
Building a 5 GPU computer
2018-10-22, 8:27 PM #1
I have 5 gfx cards. I want to mine dogecoin and other memecoins, as well as fly flight simulators in VR and do machine learning anaysis on the contents of my sextapes.

How can I maximize all of these tasks in one machine? What should my case look like?
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2018-10-22, 8:37 PM #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBQHK7jIojk
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2018-10-22, 9:28 PM #3
Originally posted by Wookie06:

came here to post this
2018-10-22, 9:36 PM #4
A single Titan V is probably faster than any 5 video cards you have lying around, and it's probably cheaper than trying to get 5 whatever multi slot GPUs into a single computer.

And even that's probably slower at mining than whatever coin specific ASIC.
2018-10-22, 9:41 PM #5
Originally posted by Jon`C:
A single Titan V is probably faster than any 5 video cards you have lying around, and it's probably cheaper than trying to get 5 whatever multi slot GPUs into a single computer.

And even that's probably slower at mining than whatever coin specific ASIC.

Is that the one they faked the moon landing with?

I only care about coins that pretend to be asic resistant so
2018-10-22, 9:46 PM #6
Originally posted by Spook:
Is that the one they faked the moon landing with?

no, cheaper to go to the moon
2018-10-22, 9:47 PM #7
van allen belts
2018-10-22, 10:26 PM #8
okay well basically here are your challenges

- SLI doesn't work well. Among other problems, NVIDIA has to manually patch their drivers to support each game. Unless it's a high profile AAA game they don't bother. And since SLI usually doesn't deliver the kinds of performance improvements that people expect it will, they might not bother even if it is popular enough - they'd rather say SLI is unsupported than have SLI actually reduce performance for their most spendthrift customers. So, SLI won't help you. Flight simulators and VR games aren't popular enough that NVIDIA would bother whitelisting them in the first place. What you'd really need is a single fast GPU to play games. You'll also want that GPU to run in PCIe 16x mode, which probably isn't going to be possible in a multi-CPU computer you can reasonably afford.

- You're going to need a motherboard with at least five PCIe 4x slots. Technically anything should work in a 1x slot with reduced performance, but NVIDIA cards aren't designed for it and might fail to initialize. They probably make specialized motherboards for mining now. You'll need one of them.

- That means you're going to need a CPU with at least 20 PCIe lanes available for GPUs in a 4x/4x/4x/4x/4x configuration. Consumer-grade Intel CPUs only have 16 lanes. Even the newest ones. You're looking at something more like a Xeon Gold or HEDT on the Intel side, or a high-end Ryzen or a Threadripper on the AMD side. A regular Intel CPU isn't going to cut it.

- 5 two-slot blower GPUs aren't going to fit on any motherboard ever. You'll need to buy a specialized case for GPU mining that can properly cool and support the GPUs when connected to the motherboard with PCIe risers or extension cables. The cards are designed to be supported by the slot, so yeah, you can't just, like, install them in a huge case after the motherboard ends. You'll need a special case that can support them. The alternative to this is to fabricate custom water blocks to convert each GPU into a single slot GPU. Then they might fit.

- If the above costs more than $3000, it is cheaper to buy a single Titan V.
2018-10-23, 1:20 AM #9
Something tells me Spook is not entirely serious with his request...
Sorry for the lousy German
2018-10-23, 1:59 PM #10
Q&A with my new 5 GPU rig
I had a blog. It sucked.

↑ Up to the top!