Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I could use some help around here
I could use some help around here
2018-11-27, 12:04 PM #1
I could use some help around here. Specifically with keeping up with new user registrations. Right now the user registrations are manually moderated because bots and spammers get through all the automated protections (...built into this software, anyway). So when new users register and confirm their email addresses I have to go in and manually verify them. I use a service to check if the email address is a known spammer and if the IP is associated with known spammers. If either are true, I deny the registration. If both look ok I allow it.

Is anyone interested in doing this for me?
2018-11-27, 12:52 PM #2
What about making new users Oauth against Google/Facebook/Steam/etc.? I dunno how many spammers get away with accounts on those services but it seems they’d have an incentive to get rid of them.
2018-11-27, 1:58 PM #3
I'm pretty limited as to what I can do with the current forum software. Also I hate google/facebook/steam/etc. The spammers signing up seem to be real people with time on their hands rather than bots (although obviously I can't be sure). For a while I was using "answer these simple questions" type challenges and they were able to pass those easily.

The volume of registrations isn't that high -- a few a week to a few a day max, depending on the weather maybe? No pattern. Most register and never post, or they register and come in here looking for a level, mod, or person, and leave after a couple of posts.
2019-03-05, 9:38 AM #4
Ah, the three threads of recent Massassi:

1) <FGR> HEY HEY HEY TODOA DIXON this site used to be about me grr pay attention fgrr
2) "bicker bicker trump economics bicker" "NO U"
3) "Anyone want to help me?" "Help yourself *thrusts*"
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2019-03-05, 9:43 AM #5
You forgot
4) Math? Math! Math.
2019-03-05, 10:20 AM #6
I think you mean maths.
2019-03-05, 10:23 AM #7
What about writing subtle questions that you'd only know the answer to if you played JK? Are they able to guess those?
2019-03-05, 1:23 PM #8
fgr I love that we are on a my first name basis
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2019-03-05, 8:01 PM #9
I don't know if you remember, but you were posting in the third person using your first name for a while

[and anyway your name is Fred]
2019-03-06, 12:22 PM #10
Originally posted by Steven:
I don't know if you remember, but you were posting in the third person using your first name for a while

[and anyway your name is Fred]

i was pretty blackout on psychedelics that whole time so no
2019-03-06, 1:13 PM #11
Originally posted by Reverend Jones:
What about writing subtle questions that you'd only know the answer to if you played JK? Are they able to guess those?

Does Kyle have a beard in DF2?

[ ] Yes
[ ] No
2019-03-06, 1:42 PM #12
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;1224728']Does Kyle have a beard in DF2?

[X] Yes
[X] No

always drove me up the ****in wall that cutscene Kyle and ingame Kyle look nothing alike
2019-03-07, 12:54 AM #13
Looks like a beard to me.

Sorry for the lousy German
2019-03-07, 5:07 PM #14
Originally posted by Impi:
Looks like a beard to me.

That looks like my beard from high school
2019-03-21, 8:39 PM #15
Originally posted by Brian:
and leave after a couple of posts.

Some of us just can't stay away. It's like a curse.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2019-03-21, 9:10 PM #16
Originally posted by zanardi:
Some of us just can't stay away. It's like a curse.

hi frank
2019-03-22, 3:46 PM #17
Originally posted by Steven:
hi frank

Hey :)
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"

↑ Up to the top!