Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?
What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?
2019-03-13, 11:18 AM #1
I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?
2019-03-13, 11:58 AM #2
Hmm, I was thinking biotech but they already did cloning and robotic appendages, and with cloning it seems like they could have just grown new hands instead of using robotic ones. I didn't see any evidence of disease or anything unless you count Jar Jar.

The movies and books always went with "bigger weapons" and the easiest thing that comes to mind is "more speed." But that's no fun. "Better shields" that protect against the stunt they used in The Last Jedi? (where the ship hyperspaced into the other ship)

Star Trek did transporters.

The thing the Empire seems to have a problem with is detecting rebels (in places like cities or crowded areas); they always have the need to patrol; maybe something that can detect intent? Crap, Minority Report. How about something that can protect people from being Mind Tricked? They could rip apart races like Watto and figure out how they're resistant to it.

Artificially giving babies force? Force Transplant... eek.
2019-03-13, 12:09 PM #3
Time travel.
2019-03-13, 12:46 PM #4
Hi
2019-03-13, 1:30 PM #5
How about a wall along the outer rim border to keep jawas out

But, like, a space wall
2019-03-13, 1:44 PM #6
Railings. It would prevent so many daily stormtrooper deaths aboard imperial bases with bottomless pits. Oh, or if we want to go with that line of thought stormtrooper armor that allows the wearer to run, sit down, and helmets that allow the wearer to see.
My blawgh.
2019-03-13, 1:45 PM #7
Originally posted by Steven:
How about a wall along the outer rim border to keep jawas out

But, like, a space wall

Space.... Force...

:o
2019-03-13, 2:12 PM #8
is the scientist good or bad what?
who does he/she/ze/it work for?
2019-03-13, 2:21 PM #9
He works for the canon New Republic.
2019-03-13, 2:22 PM #10
Originally posted by Steven:
is the scientist good or bad what?
who does he/she/ze/it work for?

He works for the canon New Republic.
2019-03-13, 3:16 PM #11
In any postbellum period, there will be significant effort put into reconstruction, largely of infrastructure that was destroyed during the time of conflict. Perhaps research into crop restoration, water reclamation, or some other food-related field if you want to focus on biology; otherwise, communications, transportation, or travel routes if you want to focus on technology or construction.

Think "ways to rehabilitate planets razed by the empire"
2019-03-13, 3:39 PM #12
Someone on writingforums.org knocked some sense into me. The Star Wars galaxy has had 1,000’s of years to develop stuff so all science left to do is theoretical or observational. I’m going to have him study asteroids. Thanks for putting up with me.
2019-03-13, 3:53 PM #13
Don’t forget the social sciences. The Star Wars universe is well developed in the physical sciences, but for some reason* their understanding of political science is stunted. There should be a lot of soul searching and ink shed about the rise of the empire, and a lot of deep thinking across many disciplines about how to prevent similar abuses in the future.
2019-03-13, 4:05 PM #14
Personal armor which does something
2019-03-13, 4:06 PM #15
I bet there's some scientists trying to cultivate force powers in non-Jedi by injecting them with midichlorians or something
2019-03-13, 5:16 PM #16
R-R-Reborn?
2019-03-13, 6:29 PM #17
Okay. My asteroid idea failed. It’s been done to death.

Isn’t their anything else you guys can think of?
2019-03-13, 7:40 PM #18
I think "their" were several good ideas and starting points offered, but last I checked, none of us were writing any fan-fiction. I think you'll find that in over two-hundred years of science fiction most ideas have already been covered. Read one of Asimov's or A. C. Clarke's dozens of short stories. They were written fifty years ago. Steal one of their ideas and put a Star Wars spin on it.
2019-03-13, 7:48 PM #19
Also, not all scientists are doing ground-breaking, envelope-pushing research into new and uncharted territory. I'm sure there are star wars scientists that study the breeding habits of womprats or the migration routes of ewoks or a product to clean alien blood off of space bar floors or whatever.
2019-03-13, 8:02 PM #20
I mean, really, we're talking about a culture that was a militant theocracy with a black-and-white morality... in the good days. There are entire fields of philosophy that basically don't exist in the Star Wars universe.

Philosophy as a whole might be an emerging field in the Star Wars universe.
2019-03-13, 8:24 PM #21
I think your best bet is going to steal ideas from TNG. I say this because you say you are going to write about technology in the SW universe. At the same time, the pseudo-philosophical parts of Star Wars are quasi-religious, like the Force, the Jedi, etc. The idea of going back in time [edit: where 'going back in time' is understood here as "archeology"] has been done to death I imagine (where some ancient Sith technology is discovered on a remote planet, or the ghost of Exar Kun start talking to you, or [...]).

But I think TNG was always more serious about the scientific side of things. All you have to do is steal some ideas from one of its episodes and combine it with some of the quasi-religious ideas of Star Wars.
2019-03-13, 8:26 PM #22
Like... what if the FORCE actually allows you do do things like travel in time? Or travel to another dimension? Although you probably should be more subtle than that or else you'll just be writing a Harry Potter crossover in the case of the former or a Rick & Morty crossover in the case of the latter....

Actually, now that I think about it, TNG already used the Force a bunch of times (like that time some aliens remotely sexually harassed a crew member of the Enterprise).
2019-03-13, 8:28 PM #23
He can be an archaeologist studying ancient tauntaun architecture or the first droids or something
2019-03-13, 8:31 PM #24
Dr. Soong!
2019-03-13, 8:38 PM #25
Hmm, wait, that idea was also from Isaac Asimov.
2019-03-13, 9:08 PM #26
Genetic manipulation would be a neat subject in a galaxy full of aliens with tons of biological advantages. Just think of all of the things you could have grafted on, or into your body.
My blawgh.
2019-03-13, 10:23 PM #27
^^ Star Trek: Enterprise did that with the... er... Suliban (had to look it up); they actually combined it with time travel. (it was so boring; I'm so tired of time travel plot lines; maybe I'm too old)
2019-03-13, 10:27 PM #28
Bantha Souffle to Table One - A Maitre'D Story
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2019-03-14, 9:21 AM #29
maybe he can be researching recent jedi sightings in the anodea system or an old fortress on belgajer
2019-03-14, 9:52 AM #30
wot about a very large lazer beam
2019-03-14, 10:08 AM #31
a starfighter that let's you use Force powers as a weapon
2019-03-14, 11:12 AM #32
I wish our professional writer, Koobie, was still here to share his feedback.
2019-03-14, 11:16 AM #33
Originally posted by Nikumubeki:
I wish our professional writer, Koobie, was still here to share his feedback.

Koobie PMed me and asked me to ask wot about a very large lazer beam
2019-03-14, 11:16 AM #34
space weed, space chicks that want to make out with me for, like, no reason
2019-03-14, 11:19 AM #35
Hey Maximum7, welcome to Massassi. Who are you? Tell us about your fan fic.

Is it about Pyle Popcorn? What planet is it on?
2019-03-14, 11:21 AM #36
[Unable to find specified attachment]
2019-03-14, 11:21 AM #37
Popkorn*
2019-03-14, 11:25 AM #38
I'd read a Command & Conquer book like this, though.

[Unable to find specified attachment]
2019-03-14, 11:34 AM #39
Wow, a PA that actually made me ... well, not laugh, but internally chuckle a little bit.
2019-03-14, 11:38 AM #40
Originally posted by saberopus:
Hey Maximum7, welcome to Massassi. Who are you? Tell us about your fan fic.

Is it about Pyle Popcorn? What planet is it on?

Thank-you!!! I'm an aspiring writer and my fanfic involves a brilliant scientist who is called upon to investigate the sudden expansion of the supermassive black hole in the galaxy's center. Hes from Coruscant and works for the New Republic.

↑ Up to the top!