Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Doesn't care what his title is
    Christmas Cardmaker Extrordinarie

no prob

The sub-ARU legacy units are new/made up, they're just a modification/extension on the briefly-mentioned alluvial dampers

I really like Purgills. I think my scientist wants to study itís brains. Iím making him a xenoneurologist. What about a Purgills brain can help it jump to Hyperspace and move Faster than light? I assume itís brain is like an organic navicomputer.

Admiral of Awesome
    Maybe their SPOO has too much FLEEM

Maybe it's about what they eat. Maybe they eat invisible space fungus that has a sub-space root network all throughout the galaxy and that's how spaceships travel through hyperspace, by following along the root route

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Maybe it's about what they eat. Maybe they eat invisible space fungus that has a sub-space root network all throughout the galaxy and that's how spaceships travel through hyperspace, by following along the root route
    The scientist can visit one of the oldest routes, good old Root 66, a 2,400 lightyear hyperspace lane still frequently traveled by Purgills.

I was asking for ideas on what a scientist could be working on in the Star Wars galaxy. However my list of can nots are more akin to what an engineer would be working on. Then I guess thatís what I really meant. So that being said I ask. What can an engineer in the Star Wars galaxy be working on?. He works for the canon New Republic.

Things he canít be working on

1.) Dyson sphere- Believe it or not it already exists in SWTOR

2.) Matrioksha Brain- Computers arenít that advanced. (HOWEVER, if you have a generic Star Wars name for this- I will take it. Matrioksha is Russian nesting dolls and would obviously not be applicable for Star Wars

3.) A Giant Underground City- Sullust has tons of these.

4.) Kransnikov Tube- Would be too much of a gamechanger for travel

5.) Ford-Svaitar mirror- Too much of a gamechanger for travel

6.) Nicoll-Dyson Laser- We already have the Death Star and Starkiller Base

7.) Space elevator- They have those

8.) Shellworld- Waste of time. Plenty of planets to work with

9) Alderton Disk- Too big

10.) Ringworld- Exists on Ringo Vinda

11.) Underwater cities- Plenty of those

12.) Any type of space habitat.

Any ideas?

Admiral of Awesome
    Hmm, that list of things he canít be working on is helpful, but in order to give you advice we really need 1 or 2 things he can

Likes Kittens. Eats Fluffies
    Maximum7, how long do you anticipate pondering this question?

he can be an engineer working on a hauler that superheats liquid, converts it to a gas to drive a large piston that turns wheels and moves the hauler along some predetermined path

Quote Originally Posted by saberopus View Post
    Maximum7, how long do you anticipate pondering this question?
    Iíll stop soon. I just like generating ideas for my story.

Child's Play CharitySon of Krokodile XVI
    New user appears out of nowhere and isn't even a bot.

Makes a thread for discussion about a story that he's writing.

Username is Maximum7.

Koobie's name is Max Salnikov.

Just saying.
    Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.

That said, welcome back! I don't mind you at all, never did. It was, after all, the Krokodile who started the FREE KOOBS PLZ movement.

Why is everyone ignoring the truth?!

I was Mr. Robot.

Admiral of Awesome
    We know

I don't think everyone did but I told Cm, who pretended not to know, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    We know
    That Wooks is Mr. Robot, or that Maximum7 is Koobs?

Huh, I thought this thread would go on forever in the exact same pattern, but the fact that it hasn't tells me Kroko was right (!)

I hate it when that happens

He's working for a pharmaceutical company researching a more efficient strand of bacta. This is great because you can use the 3dos already in the resources for his office.

lol...

I can't decide if science has ended in Star Wars since they have the same technology for thousands of years. Yet scientists are mentioned in the novels and other mediums and Galen Erso was a scientist among many in his department. He was working on kyber crystals which were considered taboo until then because of their association with the Jedi. When the Empire took over, it was fine to study them. Teleportation and time travel are just regarded as fantasy or only done through obscure uses of the Force. You have to assume that in 25,000 years of sentients working on science, the absense of these two techs must imply that they have tried MANY times and they are just "impossible" and they have given up. Maybe the right mind (Cylo) didn'y come along yet (unlikely since their are trillions of sentients) or they havent found the right element (?) or device to create these things. But I have to assume its impossible,

What then can a scientist be working on if these two things are impossible?

Maybe the scientist can be working on figuring out what the **** is going on in this thread.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Maybe they can be working on finding a project to work on

anime

Wanted in 3 galaxies, the Corellian sciencelogist droid QB-3 discovers the remnants of a temple whose followers were near-exclusively focused on the presence and existence of a being of mysterious moniker, of which only the letters N__V_VBEKI can be deciphered from the inscriptions on the ruined temple walls.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikumubeki View Post
    Wanted in 3 galaxies, the Corellian sciencelogist droid QB-3 discovers the remnants of a temple whose followers were near-exclusively focused on the presence and existence of a being of mysterious moniker, of which only the letters N__V_VBEKI can be deciphered from the inscriptions on the ruined temple walls.
    download todoa

in a few years you'll be collecting royalties for the TODOAnime

Wait isn't TODOA asctually based on an anime tho? Or like, the clone wars cartoons, I mean. THat's what I always thought until now??

ah, that actually makes a lot of sense.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Quote Originally Posted by saberopus View Post
    Wait isn't TODOA asctually based on an anime tho? Or like, the clone wars cartoons, I mean. THat's what I always thought until now??
    BIG if true.

He could be working on something like a molecular synthesizer. A device that uses matter-energy conversion technology to dematerialize quantities of matter and then rematerialize that matter in another form. Like a steaming delicious plate of food. It could also be capable of inverting its function, thus disposing of leftovers and dishes. Items thus disposed of served to fuel the molecular synthesizer, and could later be reconstituted as other objects.

With technology like that he could end hunger forever, and make your character rich enough to build his own Death Star if he wanted to, but with racing stripes!

Admiral of Awesome
    He could also be working on a way of traveling faster than light that doesn't involve expensive fuels and inconvenient and dangerous hyperspace travel. Some kind of FTL drive that lets you travel faster than light through realspace.

Then he could figure out a way to use the molecular synthesizer to teleport people from one place to another, and together with a well-functioning crew they could use these new technologies to explore the galaxy.

^^vv<><>BASTART
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    explore the galaxy.
    trekking the galaxy

/me looks at his nonexistent watch

That's really nice and all, but what does it have to do with this guy actually being Koobie

Not enough, Ike "Bum" Ukin, not nearly enough.