Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The "good ol' days" of Massassi
The "good ol' days" of Massassi
2019-04-08, 11:14 AM #1
Talk about random stuff from ye olde days of Massassi!

For starters, I'm trying to remember when UGO was apparently involved with Massassi, and if there was some reason we didn't like them? Also, if these are those same guys:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UGO_Networks
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2019-04-08, 11:50 AM #2
Yeah I think that was them. We had problems with them showing ... racy ... ads which made me annoyed, and it took days for them to take the ads down. (back then this was a very thorny subject for me) However, I don't think that was why we stopped using them; basically the ad revenue crashed one month and stayed down (for the entire internet, not just Massassi). It no longer covered the hosting fees, which were significant back then (like hundreds of dollars a month for a dedicated server). So I believe we moved to some other network which also provided free hosting. However I think this other company folded shortly after (for the same reason -- ads no longer paying any decent amount).

This is all really fuzzy now so I could be wrong on the details. I think at its peak Massassi was doing 2 million ad impressions per month. I have no idea what our traffic looks like now, I never got around to installing any local analytics and I hate 3rd party scripts. Probably a few hundred page views per day on the forums and way less than that on the main site.

One problem with the main page is that since it uses frames search engines don't like it. And if you get externally linked to a page you don't get any menu or navigation or whatever. It's been on my list to fix since forever but it's a lot of work.
2019-04-08, 12:37 PM #3
T minus ten ****ing seconds before FGR carpet bombs this thread duck and cover duck and cover
2019-04-08, 2:35 PM #4
Originally posted by Brian:
Yeah I think that was them. We had problems with them showing ... racy ... ads which made me annoyed, and it took days for them to take the ads down.

Yeah, that was UGO. I remember they had an ad featuring a very naked Lara Croft (with only tiny little censors) promoting the much fabled "nude code" from Tomb Raider. You got a lot of complaints, but you also mentioned it was the most clicked ad on the site. :D
2019-04-08, 2:47 PM #5
Make Massassi Great Again. We should elect our own in-house Trump and have in-house little speeches and build in-house little walls.
[FONT=Courier New]
[/FONT]
Code:
[FONT=Courier New][FONT=Courier New]           ┌─┬─┬─┬─┬─┬─┬┐
           ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤
Pretentious├┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┤ The Good
   Patrol  ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤ Ol' Dahs
           ├┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┤
           ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]
[/FONT]
2019-04-08, 2:51 PM #6
I miss the Asheron’s Call forum. :(
former entrepreneur
2019-04-08, 2:53 PM #7
Originally posted by Steven:
Yeah, that was UGO. I remember they had an ad featuring a very naked Lara Croft (with only tiny little censors) promoting the much fabled "nude code" from Tomb Raider. You got a lot of complaints, but you also mentioned it was the most clicked ad on the site. :D

Damn, 1999 called it wants its cheatcc codes back.
2019-04-08, 3:02 PM #8
former entrepreneur
2019-04-08, 3:04 PM #9
former entrepreneur
2019-04-08, 3:05 PM #10
1999: the best year of our lives, asks Ross Douthat? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/opinion/the-best-year-of-our-lives.amp.html
former entrepreneur
2019-04-08, 3:06 PM #11
Also, Asheron’s Call was released in 1999. END OF ARGUMENT.
former entrepreneur
2019-04-08, 3:41 PM #12
http://web.archive.org/web/20000120054214/http://198.92.131.6/

UGO logo and all!
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2019-04-08, 5:08 PM #13
Massassi was never good
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2019-04-08, 5:57 PM #14
Originally posted by Ni:

The second thread is about the racy ads!
2019-04-08, 6:13 PM #15
I apparently was offering to pay a nickel to anyone who didn’t think funny something I thought was funny. I wonder what 13 year old me thought was so hysterical that I was willing to risk all those nickels.
former entrepreneur
2019-04-08, 8:02 PM #16
I love how the old forums looked. ARgh.
2019-04-09, 12:48 AM #17
Originally posted by Ni:

Anyone want to have a debate on the existence of god?
2019-04-09, 6:51 AM #18
Originally posted by Reid:

I’d rather have a debate on the uniqueness of god :getin:
2019-04-09, 8:48 AM #19
Originally posted by Eversor:
I apparently was offering to pay a nickel to anyone who didn’t think funny something I thought was funny. I wonder what 13 year old me thought was so hysterical that I was willing to risk all those nickels.

I didn't know you went by Destructor.
(as in, Gozer the Destructor?)
2019-04-09, 9:38 AM #20
Exactly! (see the signature).
former entrepreneur
2019-04-09, 9:40 AM #21
Originally posted by Reid:

I miss Christopher Hitchens :(
former entrepreneur
2019-04-10, 7:43 PM #22
Don't forget DoGsRoolz or whatever his name was.

I miss my JA/JO editing pals and the days on that forum section. Like gothiX, lassev, Zell, etc. So many good levels lost to time.

I think me and Thrawn[numbarz] are all that is left on this site that know of the ancient religion of GtKRadiant and q3map2.

I wonder if JediKirby is still alive.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2019-04-10, 8:16 PM #23
I'm FB friendos with jedikirby and he posts regularly! Not sure if he's active on here still
2019-04-10, 8:34 PM #24
That's actually great to know. I remember all his health issues years ago.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2019-04-10, 10:34 PM #25
Originally posted by ECHOMAN:
I think me and Thrawn[numbarz] are all that is left on this site that know of the ancient religion of GtKRadiant and q3map2.

D:
2019-04-11, 9:41 AM #26
I tried to join #massassi on chatcircuit and it auto-banned me

Thanks ******
2019-04-11, 10:52 AM #27
Originally posted by Eversor:
I miss Christopher Hitchens :(

The whole new atheism thing has the same problems as the Ayn Rand did. Their audience were people who don't have significant exposure to the subject they are addressing, and what impresses that audience isn't really even relevant the state of the question among people who've been trying to address these issues with rigor for hundreds of years. The end result is a lot of smugness and excuses for being unwilling to engage with positions that have evolved far past the level the the new atheists want to leave them.

It's like Hawkings claiming that philosophy is dead, despite not knowing what philosophy has to say, and having made his fortune writing what were essentially poor pop-philosophy books.
2019-04-11, 10:58 AM #28
No. Stop it. Bad.

Go start a new thread.
2019-04-11, 11:28 AM #29
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
The whole new atheism thing has the same problems as the Ayn Rand did. Their audience were people who don't have significant exposure to the subject they are addressing, and what impresses that audience isn't really even relevant the state of the question among people who've been trying to address these issues with rigor for hundreds of years.

Their whole point is that the whole so-called rigor has just been a futile exercise. Just words. Who of these people who participated it in it had actually discovered what this guy Jesus found out (or Buddha, or maybe Meister Eckhart or another guy like that)? The advice to not build images about God was a very pointed one, and most religious people have missed it in rituals and other superficial shows and superstitions.

But I agree, the people of this "new atheist movement" are the same kind of people as the religious ones.

And with that, the good old days of Massassi HAVE RETURNED
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2019-04-11, 11:35 AM #30
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
The whole new atheism thing has the same problems as the Ayn Rand did. Their audience were people who don't have significant exposure to the subject they are addressing, and what impresses that audience isn't really even relevant the state of the question among people who've been trying to address these issues with rigor for hundreds of years. The end result is a lot of smugness and excuses for being unwilling to engage with positions that have evolved far past the level the the new atheists want to leave them.

Ah, you're right! And it's the recommendation engines on Youtube that are shoveling this stuff to the masses as smug "edutainment". No wonder the bored-moron vlogosphere has been inundated with Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens watching, militantly anti-theist, anti-SJW sentinels / culture warriors. Actually I'd include myself as somebody who's consumed a lot of this stuff on Youtube (though not much anymore), but I can clearly see the problems.

Sadly, though, it seems that a whole generation of bored, mildly privileged kids have been sucked into (at least flirting with) the alt. right through these recommendation engines alone. For example, I started to see around the time of Gamergate video personalities pop up which were espousing putatively leftist and atheist views, but whose subscribers and commenters were almost exclusively alt. right channers, just because of a mutual dislike of "SJW-ism" / Islam / whatever.

Quote:
It's like Hawkings claiming that philosophy is dead, despite not knowing what philosophy has to say, and having made his fortune writing what were essentially poor pop-philosophy books.

Wait a minute, I think we've found the source of Reid's passing distaste for Hawking. Lol
2019-04-11, 12:24 PM #31
you guys have ruined another thread
2019-04-11, 12:26 PM #32
Trump thread! :downs:

(sorry)
2019-04-11, 1:02 PM #33
I remember playing matches with people through the MSN gaming zone which is another relic of the past. The old christmas logo contests. City Block map (I still have the zip somewhere with the template). Good times.
2019-04-24, 7:58 AM #34
Password is Fan for my Nar CTF game if anyone is interested.
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2019-05-11, 9:32 AM #35
Originally posted by saberopus:
T minus ten ****ing seconds before FGR carpet bombs this thread duck and cover duck and cover

I can only be found from the JK thread these days:

https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?56665-Jedi-Knight-issues&p=1226896&viewfull=1#post1226896
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2019-05-11, 8:00 PM #36
true :'(

↑ Up to the top!