Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 50

Thread: Anything OLD (like meee)

  1. #1

    Anything OLD (like meee)

    ¡¡¡Waka Laka por Osaka!!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Osakatrippingballs.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	28526

  2. #2

    MIKO MIKO NURSE

    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 07-09-2019 at 07:54 PM.

  3. #3
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,955
    ..what is happening in this thread?

  4. #4
    eheheheh

    N.B.: per Kroko's thread, I DO NOT DRINK. (Not kidding here actually, just to be clear. This is a purely SOBER insane post.)
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 07-09-2019 at 11:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Guys, did you hear about this forum I found called Somethin` Awful? (WHY DID I NEVER SEE THIS BEFORE??)

  6. #6
    listen weeb i will ****ing end you
    sniff

  7. #7
    OK, I can come clean. I've been spending some time on the /sci section of 4chan because I am insanely bored these days, and also because it reminds me of Usenet, with all the kooks that post there to do things like spam their "disproof" of the Riemann Hypothesis over and over.

    Around the same time I did a re-watch of Azumanga Daioh, and was poking around an old SA thread that discussed it. I've actually never been registered there, and have never really ever gone there. I had something of a sad realization, though, which is probably not too hard to predict for some folks here: holy **** has internet culture devolved into something lame in the last decade or two.

    I mean: in the fifteen minutes of reading an old SA thread about AMV's, I was able to consume more interesting/humorous remixing of anime content than all of 4chan has produced in its entire existence. I mean, I am aware that 4chan started because moot and friends were too annoying to fit into the Azumanga thread on SA, but holy crap I never stopped to think about how LAME and low-effort their output has been, now that I realize it.

    I mean, I was an avid AlbinoBlackSheep consumer in the early 2000's, and even their stuff is also way better than the prevailing meme culture. E.g.,

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    listen weeb i will ****ing end you
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, I'm a total amateur when it comes to this stuff. I actually didn't even watch anime as a kid (except Pokemon, which is so mainstream it doesn't count), and tolerated Azumanga Daioh enough to give it a try (and enjoyed it immensely once I did). Even though it started the whole idiotic waifu meme...

    I also never went to 4chan as a kid either. One of my friends went there and my impression at the time was that it was full of pedophiles. I started visiting many, many years later (once the site sort of penetrated mainstream culture) out of morbid curiosity, and, strangely enough, because there's a weird prevalence of /sci/ in the math department at my university (I went back to school later in life). /sci/ also reminds me of Usenet (partly because it's full of kooks).

    Edit: Hmm, sobering up a bit... was early 2000's internet culture all that great after all? Nostalgia aside, this stuff is still of questionable value (EXCEPT FOR WAKA LAKA). Maybe... is it just that social media covered it up with even lower quality content? Hmm.
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 07-10-2019 at 01:38 AM.

  9. #9
    Today's internet culture is so bad because it's mostly done by kids, these days. It was much better when we were the kids doing it.
    Sorry for the lousy German

  10. #10
    I'll keep this short and sweet, unlike usual. My thesis is that platforms like Reddit and 4chan are all about volume, whereas forums are the opposite. So on some obscure anime forum (for example), you see things like replies to several year old threads, but people care because the posters are sharing crucial knowledge. Sure, there are knowledgeable people on Reddit (and even 4chan) too, but their stuff just gets buried, sometimes within hours or even minutes! It really is quite frustrating....

  11. #11
    BBSs and newsgroups and mailinglists and forums still exist (beyond those that are actually still going strong, like Massassi and whatnot). They just moved on to be subredits and Facebook groups and twitch chats. Even back in the day you had some awefully big newsgroups that were drowning in content, where it was hard to find the really wonderful posts. But besides that you had some niche newsgroups where you knew all the posters because only a handful of people was posting anyway.
    Sorry for the lousy German

  12. #12
    I'll hazard to guess that things have improved in some ways. For example, I bet Stackexchange is better than Usenet was for curating good answers to questions. The rest of the trash that got posted on Usenet now goes to places like /sci/ on 4chan, heh.

    But I stand by my argument that Reddit (and, god forbid, Facebook groups) are awful replacements for forums, just because of the format of those sites is for new content to bury old content. As awful as vBulletin is, at least it only passively, rather than actively, makes old content difficult to find.

  13. #13
    OH MY GOD I RUINED MY OWN NOSTALGIA THREAD



    Edit: wow, this is far lamer than what I remember from seeing it in high school...
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 07-10-2019 at 02:54 AM.

  14. #14
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Impi View Post
    Today's internet culture is so bad because it's mostly done by kids, these days. It was much better when we were the kids doing it.
    Sarcasm aside, I mean, yeah, really:

    Contributing just had a much higher bar 15+ years ago. You wanted to make a funny picture? You had to photoshop it yourself. Then you had to find somewhere to host it. Video content was even more involved - really it was flash animation, you had to spend time on that stuff.

    The kids today aren't even editing their videos, they download OBS and live broadcast themselves playing. They throw together memes using apps and airdrop them to each other. The culture has changed and I'm not judging the culture, but they are absolutely spending far less effort on it than we had to at the same age.

  15. #15
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    I'll hazard to guess that things have improved in some ways. For example, I bet Stackexchange is better than Usenet was for curating good answers to questions.
    threaded bulletin board where questions and answers became discussions between professionals trying to provide the best advice

    vs.

    Q&A board where the only subjects that are allowed are the homework questions of moron first year undergrads, that punishes debate, and where the top promoted answer is chosen by the aforementioned clueless student

  16. #16
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,338
    Unpopular opinion: freaking Reddit is a better format for Q&A than Stack Exchange is. The latter exists only because of a timely combination of aggressive SEO and the fact that they cloned existing popular sites with paywalls.

  17. #17
    wtf, Bill Cosby understood this all along??



    In that stupid video, there's a bit of him complaining that Jazz is being eclipsed by rap or whatever. But this kinda reminded me of something I heard about how Jazz was always more than a pop culture, because Jazz aficionados are well enough versed in its history to venerate the great Jazz musicians of the past. Whereas pop music forgets its history.

    Amusingly, I remember hearing this from Alan Kay, who used the analogy to denigrate computer programmers, for being oblivious of their own history:
    Binstock: You once referred to computing as pop culture.

    Kay: It is. Complete pop culture. I'm not against pop culture. Developed music, for instance, needs a pop culture. There's a tendency to over-develop. Brahms and Dvorak needed gypsy music badly by the end of the 19th century. The big problem with our culture is that it's being dominated, because the electronic media we have is so much better suited for transmitting pop-culture content than it is for high-culture content. I consider jazz to be a developed part of high culture. Anything that's been worked on and developed and you [can] go to the next couple levels.

    Binstock: One thing about jazz aficionados is that they take deep pleasure in knowing the history of jazz.

    Kay: Yes! Classical music is like that, too. But pop culture holds a disdain for history. Pop culture is all about identity and feeling like you're participating. It has nothing to do with cooperation, the past or the future — it's living in the present. I think the same is true of most people who write code for money. They have no idea where [their culture came from] — and the Internet was done so well that most people think of it as a natural resource like the Pacific Ocean, rather than something that was man-made. When was the last time a technology with a scale like that was so error-free? The Web, in comparison, is a joke. The Web was done by amateurs.
    https://lisp-univ-etc.blogspot.com/2...ory-in-cs.html

    Kind of funny as well when you realize that its this very pop culture of programmers that is responsible for burying existing online cultures (forums) with a pop culture of sorts (Facebook, Reddit, etc.).

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    threaded bulletin board where questions and answers became discussions between professionals trying to provide the best advice

    vs.

    Q&A board where the only subjects that are allowed are the homework questions of moron first year undergrads, that punishes debate, and where the top promoted answer is chosen by the aforementioned clueless student
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Unpopular opinion: freaking Reddit is a better format for Q&A than Stack Exchange is. The latter exists only because of a timely combination of aggressive SEO and the fact that they cloned existing popular sites with paywalls.
    I don't doubt that you are right, but in terms of googling stuff? I would much rather sift through Stack Exchange than Google Groups (yes, I am aware that newsgroups used to be better than whatever the **** Google decided to mutilate them into). I'm not a big user of Stack Exchange myself, so I imagine I might feel differently if my question got shut down for being off-topic for dumb reasons, though.

    Edit: Ah, I wasn't really reading your post carefully, since you were comparing it to forums. Yeah, I agree with you all the way.
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 07-10-2019 at 03:20 AM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    I don't doubt that you are right, but in terms of googling stuff? I would much rather sift through Stack Exchange than Google Groups (yes, I am aware that newsgroups used to be better than whatever the **** Google decided to mutilate them into). I'm not a big user of Stack Exchange myself, so I imagine I might feel differently if my question got shut down for being off-topic for dumb reasons, though.
    Let me back-peddle on this a bit. Email, and thus mailing lists, is by far the best medium I've used for discussing technical stuff. And newsgroups were basically read like mail (so the only real problem with Google Groups is the garbage web UI).

    Incidentally, have you guys ever had the misfortune to use this piece of **** software known as Discourse (not Discord)? It's awful. The amateurs at Stack Exchange made it, and its UI is laughably bad. I had to disable Javascript just to kill their idiotic hijacking of the search feature in my browser. How can you be so arrogant as to screw up something like the equivalent of a mailing list just to implement dumbass features like "infinite scroll"? The fact that total amateurs seem to be running things like this really grates on me.
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 07-10-2019 at 03:17 AM.

  20. #20
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,338
    Jeff Atwood visited SA a few years ago, while Discourse was still in planning stages, to ask what they thought was most important for forum software. At the time, SA was still one of the largest forums. Literally all of us said "no user moderation, it is toxic and will turn any forum into a ****hole like Stack Overflow".

    Atwood spent the rest of the thread trying to explain why user moderation is actually good and that SA should switch to Discourse.

  21. #21
    Admiral of Awesome
    Posts
    18,338
    Infinite scrolling is bad user interface design, but it's difficult to explain why to a technodweeb without sounding like a troglodyte. It gives you fixed starting and stopping points, it lets you link to a section of the discussion quickly - ever hear of anchor tags?? It lets you map the discussion to your spatial memory -- ever hear of a search bar?


    The real benefit of pagination is the emotional break. Flame wars tend to peter out between pages. Check for yourself. If you're designing forum software as a tool to facilitate communities (and not to satisfy your boredom as a web janitor) you need pages. Or anything else that puts a spotlight on short-term behavior.

  22. #22
    ^^vv<><>BASTART
    Posts
    8,955
    Heh, if you forget you were flaming, you're less likely to do it. Misdirection at it's finest, make people forget they're mad.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Jeff Atwood visited SA a few years ago, while Discourse was still in planning stages, to ask what they thought was most important for forum software. At the time, SA was still one of the largest forums. Literally all of us said "no user moderation, it is toxic and will turn any forum into a ****hole like Stack Overflow".

    Atwood spent the rest of the thread trying to explain why user moderation is actually good and that SA should switch to Discourse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon`C View Post
    Infinite scrolling is bad user interface design, but it's difficult to explain why to a technodweeb without sounding like a troglodyte. It gives you fixed starting and stopping points, it lets you link to a section of the discussion quickly - ever hear of anchor tags?? It lets you map the discussion to your spatial memory -- ever hear of a search bar?


    The real benefit of pagination is the emotional break. Flame wars tend to peter out between pages. Check for yourself. If you're designing forum software as a tool to facilitate communities (and not to satisfy your boredom as a web janitor) you need pages. Or anything else that puts a spotlight on short-term behavior.
    Wow. That sounds pretty arrogant. I wasn't aware he was actually trying to replace forum software with that ****. I only see it used on technical sites to (poorly) replace mailing lists.

    Oh, but please understand, folks:
    Quote Originally Posted by codinghorror
    As I like to say, if nobody hates what you're doing, it isn't very interesting.
    You can't make interesting software without pissing off your users by screwing up trivial but crucial functionality!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, I'm a total amateur when it comes to this stuff.
    Now that CoolMatty is gone - and the others left years ago, the only otaku left here is ME:

    THE MOST POLITE MASSASSIAN PAR NONE

    Speaking of old things, remember when these forums used to be about me? I was, like, the Most Iconic Massassian or something, mang.

  25. #25
    The idea of Nikumutaku amuses me in part because in the last couple days of my "research" into Azuma- `takus on various dark corners, I actually came across a remark by an obsessed anime fan who said that their favorite series was like Deus Ex, in the sense that whenever they heard it mentioned, they would then be obligated to go watch/play it.
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 07-12-2019 at 02:52 AM.

  26. #26
    How many of them think that their favorite series reminds them of Deus Ex in the sense that they will try to avoid watching it because otherwise they'd end up editing it again and making a new DLC for DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum?
    Last edited by Nikumubeki; 07-12-2019 at 05:43 AM.

  27. #27
    Ach Mein Tongue!!!s
    Posts
    2,035

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Hell yes

  29. #29
    Well, folks: in my earnest effort to become less dated in taste of cartoons, and update myself for the 21st century with more recent anime, I have decided to supplement my Azumanga Daioh obsession with the following mangas/animes:


    • Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    • Excel Saga
    • Cowboy Bebop


    (How'd I do?)
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 07-20-2019 at 12:24 AM.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    Well, folks: in my earnest effort to become less dated in taste of cartoons, and update myself for the 21st century with more recent anime, I have decided to supplement my Azumanga Daioh obsession with the following mangas/animes:


    • Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    • Excel Saga
    • Cowboy Bebop


    (How'd I do?)
    lmao bebop is recent? be sure to watch space dandy when youre done with it
    sniff

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    lmao bebop is recent?
    In fact the most recent one of the three on my list. (What year is it again?)

    be sure to watch space dandy when youre done with it
    I'll do that, thanks!

  32. #32
    I mostly say that because bizarrely, they are in the same story universe. Also:



    the music
    sniff

  33. #33
    That's good though, because I need comedy and good music (something both Bebop and Azumanga have, btw) to like something. Bebop was actually the only non-comedy on my list. I'll definitely be watching Space Dandy after Bebop, and even Irresponsible Captain Tyler is similar too, since while it's about a fleet of starships, it's completely un-serious (in the first episode, the protagonist is so unfocused and improper that he accidentally pulls an Austin Powers and gives the 'fembot' giving his entrance exam an orgasm and fries her circuits, all because his ADD is severe enough that he'd rather do some very inappropriate flirting than answer a few basic questions--actually reminds me of Animaniacs here).

    After watching three episodes of Excel saga (another show that reminds me of Animaniacs), I just realized that Funimation removed all the cultural notes from the show when they re-released it. So apparently I was missing all the satirical gags and references, ugh.
    Last edited by Reverend Jones; 07-21-2019 at 02:25 PM.

  34. #34
    hmm, wait a minute, I just listened to that Space Dandy music, sounds like porno music

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Jones View Post
    hmm, wait a minute, I just listened to that Space Dandy music, sounds like porno music
    sauce?
    sniff

  36. #36

    "Has it won yet?"

    Posts
    17,128


    The internet peaked with this, and it's been downhill ever since.
    SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
    -----------------------------@%

  37. #37
    hell yeah
    sniff

  38. #38
    old you say?

    http://www.zombo.com/
    eat right, exercise, die anyway

  39. #39
    WTF? Just yesterday I was thinking about The Ultimate Showdown and now I see that you also posted it yesterday to massassi.
    Sorry for the lousy German

  40. #40
    Ach Mein Tongue!!!s
    Posts
    2,035
    I was going through an old HD and found the cityblock.zip used for the city block level things. Any idea if anyone would want this?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •